ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1801 » by Polk377 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:19 pm

Mecca wrote:This season will begin and end with Severino. We're counting on him way more than we should be. If he can learn that 3rd pitch and become our #2 starter, we'll be playing meaningful games in September. If he crashes and Pineda is forced to be our 2, we're in some trouble. The goal right now is to just finish above .500

Severino is still young and the less pressure on him the better. He just has to develop confidence in his change up. At worst if Betances decides to leave after this season or traded Severino would be a great setup man to Chapman. I still have faith he can get back to how he was pitching in 2015.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,312

Post#1802 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:21 pm

I'd just rather Serverino be the 7th inning man while he learns that pitch. Aren't his innings going to be restricted anyway?
Polk377
General Manager

Post#1803 » by Polk377 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:38 am

thebuzzardman wrote:I'd just rather Serverino be the 7th inning man while he learns that pitch. Aren't his innings going to be restricted anyway?

He would probably be at a 100-120 inning limit next season considering he hasn't pitched more than 80 so far in his career. I don't like the idea of switching him between being a starter and reliever. That is how the Yankees screwed with Joba and Hughes.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#1804 » by Mecca » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:39 am

Polk377 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I'd just rather Serverino be the 7th inning man while he learns that pitch. Aren't his innings going to be restricted anyway?

He would probably be at a 100-120 inning limit next season considering he hasn't pitched more than 80 so far in his career. I don't like the idea of switching him between being a starter and reliever. That is how the Yankees screwed with Joba and Hughes.

His innings will be larger than that. Part of the reason his innings are low is because year 1 he got brought up late, and year 2 he got called down.

We forget he's only 22.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Polk377
General Manager

Post#1805 » by Polk377 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:46 am

Mecca wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

His innings will be larger than that. Part of the reason his innings are low is because year 1 he got brought up late, and year 2 he got called down.

We forget he's only 22.

No that is counting all innings plus minors. Being that he is only 22 there is no way he pitches 150+ innings next year.
levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#1806 » by levendis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:27 am

Polk377 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

We forget he's only 22.

No that is counting all innings plus minors. Being that he is only 22 there is no way he pitches 150+ innings next year.

He threw 150 innings last year (80 in the minors, 70 in the majors). I doubt there's much of an innings limit. 185 maybe? idk

Honestly, the lack of command was more concerning for Severino last year. I don't really care about the changeup atm. That's what he should be focusing on. CU or not, you're not going to get anyone out if you can't spot your fastball. Severino should either win the job out of ST or get his innings in as a starter in the minors. He's too young to convert into a reliever. But it's nice to know at the very least he can be a shutdown reliever.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,312

Post#1807 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:51 am

levendis wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
Mecca wrote:

We forget he's only 22.

He threw 150 innings last year (80 in the minors, 70 in the majors). I doubt there's much of an innings limit. 185 maybe? idk

Honestly, the lack of command was more concerning for Severino last year. I don't really care about the changeup atm. That's what he should be focusing on. CU or not, you're not going to get anyone out if you can't spot your fastball. Severino should either win the job out of ST or get his innings in as a starter in the minors. He's too young to convert into a reliever. But it's nice to know at the very least he can be a shutdown reliever.

Ah, didn't realize his innings. Figured on his age he'd be in the lower numbers. Start him out in the 7th inning role and move to the rotation? 5th starter to limit innings from the jump?
levendis
Sixth Man

Post#1808 » by levendis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:27 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
levendis wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

Ah, didn't realize his innings. Figured on his age he'd be in the lower numbers. Start him out in the 7th inning role and move to the rotation? 5th starter to limit innings from the jump?

I'd rather just see him develop as a starter, whether that's AAA or the MLB. He probably can't get to 200 innings even if he tried. I don't think it's much of an issue. If it's really a concern they can just skip a spot or two. I think him and Cessa get the 4th and 5th spots. Still have guys like Mitchell, Green, Montgomery and Enns for spot starts or when guys get injured.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#1809 » by N8isScofield » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:17 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
levendis wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

He's going to have some stinkers like any young pitcher does so he probably won't hit the 180 or so I'd imagine is the max they'd want him pitching. If he gets close towards the end of the season or if he's lighting it up and looks like he's projecting to hit his limit then you skip a start here and there.
levendis
Sixth Man

Post#1810 » by levendis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:56 pm

N8isScofield wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
levendis wrote:

He's going to have some stinkers like any young pitcher does so he probably won't hit the 180 or so I'd imagine is the max they'd want him pitching. If he gets close towards the end of the season or if he's lighting it up and looks like he's projecting to hit his limit then you skip a start here and there.

I can easily see them going through stretches of 6 man rotations throughout the season considering guys like CC, Tanaka, Pineda are all injury risks.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant

Post#1811 » by N8isScofield » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:34 pm

levendis wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

I can easily see them going through stretches of 6 man rotations throughout the season considering guys like CC, Tanaka, Pineda are all injury risks.

Yeah it's definitely possible. I'm not sure we've entered any season in recent history with more question marks in the rotation. Not so much in terms of talent but in terms of there being 3-4 guys who you'd only feel comfortable putting at 50/50 to make it through the season without serious injury and realistically in the cases of CC and Pineda it's less than 50/50.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#1812 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:41 pm

A few things to note...

Please don't put Tanaka in the same category as Pineda and CC when talking about injuries. Every season, Tanaka has increased # of starts and last season he made 31 starts (19 quality starts), up from 24 the previous season, put in nearly 200 innings, and lowered his ERA by 0.42. Pretty damn good for his 3rd season in MLB. I think it's safe to say he's no Kei Igawa. Pineda is actually below CC in just about every category except strike outs.

I think Girardi knows how to keep his rotation fresh down the stretch and wouldn't be out of the realm of going to a 6-man rotation. He has done it in the past, especially in May and early in the season giving guys more time to loosen up their arms for the long haul.

The Cincy Reds made an incredible deal for one of the top pitching prospects in MLB. This is something I rarely see Cashman do, which is trade a bunch of prospects for an even BETTER prospect.
BringBackLj!
Analyst
And1: 93

Post#1813 » by BringBackLj! » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:44 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:A few things to note...

Please don't put Tanaka in the same category as Pineda and CC when talking about injuries. Every season, Tanaka has increased # of starts and last season he made 31 starts (19 quality starts), up from 24 the previous season, put in nearly 200 innings, and lowered his ERA by 0.42. Pretty damn good for his 3rd season in MLB. I think it's safe to say he's no Kei Igawa. Pineda is actually below CC in just about every category except strike outs.

I think Girardi knows how to keep his rotation fresh down the stretch and wouldn't be out of the realm of going to a 6-man rotation. He has done it in the past, especially in May and early in the season giving guys more time to loosen up their arms for the long haul.

The Cincy Reds made an incredible deal for one of the top pitching prospects in MLB. This is something I rarely see Cashman do, which is trade a bunch of prospects for an even BETTER prospect.

Tanaka is a warrior, but you can put him in the sam cat.
He has a UCL tear, several doctors have been quoted that his arm can go anytime...and its a matter of WHEN not IF.
He is a HUGE injury concern, just because hes pitched innings doesnt mean his arm is healed and fine.
"You Know me dog i just wanna keep the peace, stop saying my name thats only gon lead to beef"
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#1814 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:06 am

He had a slight tear that did not require surgery, had plasma injections and the following TWO seasons pitched progressively better and longer through out the season.

There's a guy named Mariano Rivera who had Tommy John surgery. Think he was "ok." ;)
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant

Post#1815 » by N8isScofield » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:59 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:He had a slight tear that did not require surgery, had plasma injections and the following TWO seasons pitched progressively better and longer through out the season.

There's a guy named Mariano Rivera who had Tommy John surgery. Think he was "ok." ;)

That doesn't mean it won't go. I believe Adam Wainright was in a simliar boat where he didn't have the surgery and was effective for a couple of seasons after the initial diagnosis before eventually needing TJS. And yeah guys come back usually as good or better after TJS but that doesn't mean that Tanaka will never need it because he's held up thus far.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#1816 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Well can't we say that about ANYONE?!?! In fact, Nathan Eovaldi is having his second Tommy John surgery....

The original point is this, don't put Tanaka in the SAME category as Pineda who came to the Yanks as damaged goods and NOT getting any better....and the same applies to CC Sabbathia though his problems have to do more with age.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#1817 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:58 am

Let's be fair.

Yu Darvish who had Tommy John surgery...

16-9 with 3.80 ERA
13-9 with 2.83 ERA
10-7 with 3.06 ERA

Tommy John surgery missed one season.

7-5 with 3.41 ERA

Now, he's in his final season with Texas hoping for another big pay day.

Tanaka

13-5 ERA 2.77 then hurt arm after 20 starts. Had the plasma...
12-7 ERA 3.51
14-4 ERA 3.07

Did not miss a season.
levendis
Sixth Man

Post#1819 » by levendis » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:46 am

In case anyone is interested a couple top 100 lists have come out this week. 6 Yankee prospects made it on Keith Laws, 7 for MLB.com's Jonathon Mayo. Law ranked the Yankee system 2nd in baseball behind the Braves.

Law (ESPN):

4. SS Gleyber Torres
22. OF Blake Rutherford
27. OF Clint Frazier
28. RHP James Kaprielian
44. OF Aaron Judge
88. LHP Justus Sheffield

Mayo (MLB):

3. Gleyber Torres
24. Clint Frazier
37. Blake Rutherford
45. Aaron Judge
47. Jorge Mateo
58. James Kaprielian
79. Justus Sheffield

Mayo seems to really like our system, probably ranks us 1st imo. Mateo's ranking is obviously the greatest disparity between the 2. Law doesn't like that Mateo doesn't make hard contact, so left him off the top 100 completely.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#1820 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:48 am

I tend to trust MLB more than CNN. I say the Yanks keep their embarrassment of riches.

Return to New York Knicks