ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: moocow007, Knickstape1214, magnumt, NoLayupRule, Capn'O, Brooklyn_Yards, Thorn, AllanH20, j4remi, Thugger HBC, GONYK, mrpoetryNmotion

User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 14,022
And1: 2,489
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1941 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Mar 3, 2017 8:56 am

Polk377 wrote:Anyone is moveable if you attach a couple of prospects and some money back. Ellsbury needs to stay healthy and get back to above average though.


Really? The Yankees couldn't trade Alex Rodriguez even after he came back from suspension for the second time (or third?) time.

In the last 11 years the Yanks ate a lot of bad contracts
User avatar
Polk377
Analyst
Posts: 3,348
And1: 825
Joined: Apr 19, 2002
Location: Great Neck,NY
         

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1942 » by Polk377 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 9:28 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:
Polk377 wrote:Anyone is moveable if you attach a couple of prospects and some money back. Ellsbury needs to stay healthy and get back to above average though.


Really? The Yankees couldn't trade Alex Rodriguez even after he came back from suspension for the second time (or third?) time.

In the last 11 years the Yanks ate a lot of bad contracts


A-Rod was also 38 at the time and a shell of his former self. Ellsbury can still play and contribute.
User avatar
NYKinMIA
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,897
And1: 2,141
Joined: Jul 26, 2012
Location: - Jill Martin's thong
 

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1943 » by NYKinMIA » Fri Mar 3, 2017 1:30 pm

K P 6 wrote:So happy for Greg he had a hot ending to 2015 and he got hurt. Unfortunate. He has it all. Defense and Offense. Excited man.

Same here. I'm really pulling for this kid to shine and be our steady Donny or Tino at 1st sack for a long time. Went deep again last night.

I'm not thrilled with the "birdman" moniker though...too easy. Need some help on this one fellas...let's hear them.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 14,022
And1: 2,489
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1944 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Mar 3, 2017 2:01 pm

Polk377 wrote:A-Rod was also 38 at the time and a shell of his former self. Ellsbury can still play and contribute.


Why would any team agree to take a guy who is 33 years old, doesn't hit for average, can't lead off anymore, hits less than 10 HRs per season, and is OWED $21M every season till 2022? You can get WAY cheaper outfielder who hits better.
User avatar
Mecca
RealGM
Posts: 18,424
And1: 3,762
Joined: May 26, 2008
Location: Formerly xKLNx Phenom
     

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1945 » by Mecca » Fri Mar 3, 2017 2:26 pm

I was in the minority with this, and I still am. I would've signed Cano. I rather have a homegrown, pure hitter, than 2 B level players past their prime.

Cano batted .300 with 40 home runs and 107 RBI's last season at a weak position. His ROI blows Ellsbury's away and he was our singular home grown stud left.
Image
[Build-a-Label] - TDE
K. Dot
The Alchemist
Lupe Fiasco
Jay Electronica
Pusha T
The Internet
Schoolboy Q - Ab Soul - Jay Rock
User avatar
Phish Tank
RealGM
Posts: 10,216
And1: 3,669
Joined: Nov 09, 2004
Location: Your Timepiece
   

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1946 » by Phish Tank » Fri Mar 3, 2017 4:53 pm

In due time, we will have a glut of prospects coming up at the same time . Guys will have to be shipped out to clear room. I could see one of the long term contracts being added to a deal with one of the prospects


Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
I'm the artist formerly known as vdfebduderocks
Clyde Frazier: "But AC (Green) didn't believe in fornicating, Mike"
CMFGB

[Build-a-Rap Label] - Roc-A-Fella Records
Dre
Yonce
Big Daddy Kane
Timbo
Reflection Eternal - Hi-Tek & Talib Kweli
Apples
Rookie
Posts: 1,045
And1: 296
Joined: Jun 04, 2013
 

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1947 » by Apples » Fri Mar 3, 2017 5:25 pm

What's the thirst for Bryce Harper? Yankee fans already think he's already a Yankee. I gotta see him repeat his 2015 campaign. I'm not interested in paying a ridiculous contract to a .270/30, outfielder. He's a bit overrated (Trouts better but was not suppose to be) based on what his hype was. We have tons of outfielders already. Maybe things change but right now, it doesn't make sense.
As someone else pointed out, If someone bust, they have others behind those bust.

Machado is the one I would sign and pitching.
Apples
Rookie
Posts: 1,045
And1: 296
Joined: Jun 04, 2013
 

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1948 » by Apples » Fri Mar 3, 2017 5:26 pm

Mecca wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:
Mecca wrote:I think Bird is more important. Looks like a pure hitter.


He's definitely important but Judge gets a higher priority than Bird because I am slightly worried about the alternative..which is the Yankees shelling out $200M for Andrew McCutchen or Bryce Harper because Cashman is still paying off HIS boy, Jacob Ellsbury.


Even if Judge busts, we have Rutherford developing.

I don't want McCutchen as he's older, but I'd put all my eggs in the Machado/Harper basket


Exactly! He's also projected to end up in RF.

Ellsbury has to go because that Fowler kid is intriguing too.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 14,022
And1: 2,489
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1949 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Mar 3, 2017 9:02 pm

Again, there's no way the Yanks are going to be able to ship Ellsbury. He's owed $21M till 2022. ESPN is calling it, one of the worst Yankee contracts ever. The Yankees HAVE to play him. And I got servings of crow for ALL of you who said, I was harsh on GM Brian Cashman.

And I agree. 3B and 2B are HARD to get production.

Cashman and Levine basically threw Cano under the bus but what were they expecting? Cano looks at all the free money being thrown at Pavano, Igawa, as well as stars like CC Sabbathia, A-Rod, Jeter, etc. Why wouldn't you ask for more IF you are already that good?

Whether or not Cano deserved that money is one thing but I am purely speaking how Hal Steinbrenner who defended Ellsbury by calling him, "A great Yankee" treated Cano. He went against his father's belief, you EARN your contract. Cano definitely should have been treated better during the negotiations even though that price might have been too high.
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 18,570
And1: 4,124
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1950 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Mar 4, 2017 12:46 pm

Mecca wrote:I was in the minority with this, and I still am. I would've signed Cano. I rather have a homegrown, pure hitter, than 2 B level players past their prime.

Cano batted .300 with 40 home runs and 107 RBI's last season at a weak position. His ROI blows Ellsbury's away and he was our singular home grown stud left.


I didn't agree on matching the Seattle offer. Thought it was too many years. It would have been great if they would have found some middle ground.
Image
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 14,022
And1: 2,489
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1951 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Mar 4, 2017 4:06 pm



I feel like Eric Andre is the only man qualified to be hired as a special consultant ANY time GM Brian Cashman is thinking of signing a free agent. IF the free agent survives Andre's tests, then he DESERVES/EARNS his contract.
BringBackLj!
Analyst
Posts: 3,442
And1: 75
Joined: Oct 25, 2002
         

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1952 » by BringBackLj! » Sun Mar 5, 2017 1:53 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Again, there's no way the Yanks are going to be able to ship Ellsbury. He's owed $21M till 2022. ESPN is calling it, one of the worst Yankee contracts ever. The Yankees HAVE to play him. And I got servings of crow for ALL of you who said, I was harsh on GM Brian Cashman.

And I agree. 3B and 2B are HARD to get production.

Cashman and Levine basically threw Cano under the bus but what were they expecting? Cano looks at all the free money being thrown at Pavano, Igawa, as well as stars like CC Sabbathia, A-Rod, Jeter, etc. Why wouldn't you ask for more IF you are already that good?

Whether or not Cano deserved that money is one thing but I am purely speaking how Hal Steinbrenner who defended Ellsbury by calling him, "A great Yankee" treated Cano. He went against his father's belief, you EARN your contract. Cano definitely should have been treated better during the negotiations even though that price might have been too high.



Cano didnt derseve that contract, still going to be a **** contract in a few more years i think everyone will agree to that. I wouldnt of signed Cano but if the ALTERNATIVE was Els and Mcann.. Yea i would of just gave Cano the money at least you know hes produced in pinestripes, i hated the els signing for Day 1, he had that massive year when he was almost MVP and hit a ton of homers. Yanks alwayst hink the short fence will produce alot more homers. The def thought Els could be a 30 hr guy with lead off and speed , back fired thou,.


And yea hes untrable, hes always hurt, he cant throw, doesnt walk, low on base percetage and his steals are going down.. Literally hes terrible
"You Know me dog i just wanna keep the peace, stop saying my name thats only gon lead to beef"
Papi_swav
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,261
And1: 502
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
     

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1953 » by Papi_swav » Sun Mar 5, 2017 5:40 pm

Who do you guys got to win the WBC? I think I'll go with Venezuela
User avatar
Fury
RealGM
Posts: 15,676
And1: 5,312
Joined: Mar 07, 2007
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1954 » by Fury » Sun Mar 5, 2017 5:46 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Who do you guys got to win the WBC? I think I'll go with Venezuela


Could go any direction between USA, Puerto Rico, dr, Venezuela, Mexico but I'm gonna root for DR and Venezuela cause that's where my parents are from. Last time the platano verde rally ruled
**** You Records:
Eminem
Big L
Mobb Deep
TI
Geto Boys
EPMD
Papi_swav
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,261
And1: 502
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
     

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1955 » by Papi_swav » Sun Mar 5, 2017 8:59 pm

Fury wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Who do you guys got to win the WBC? I think I'll go with Venezuela


Could go any direction between USA, Puerto Rico, dr, Venezuela, Mexico but I'm gonna root for DR and Venezuela cause that's where my parents are from. Last time the platano verde rally ruled

Yea any one of those teams but don't sleep on Japan, they won before I think. Netherlands have some decent players too. I'm rooting for Puerto Rico, that's where my folks are from.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 14,022
And1: 2,489
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1956 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 5, 2017 10:54 pm

Japan and whoever in the WBC. The Japanese aren't the best individual athletes but DEFINITELY the most solid, consistent team.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 14,022
And1: 2,489
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1957 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 5, 2017 11:10 pm

BringBackLj! wrote:
Cano didnt derseve that contract, still going to be a **** contract in a few more years i think everyone will agree to that. I wouldnt of signed Cano but if the ALTERNATIVE was Els and Mcann.. Yea i would of just gave Cano the money at least you know hes produced in pinestripes, i hated the els signing for Day 1, he had that massive year when he was almost MVP and hit a ton of homers. Yanks alwayst hink the short fence will produce alot more homers. The def thought Els could be a 30 hr guy with lead off and speed , back fired thou,.

And yea hes untrable, hes always hurt, he cant throw, doesnt walk, low on base percetage and his steals are going down.. Literally hes terrible


You're missing my point...

After making a point about fiscal responsibility, how can Hal Steinbrenner defend a signing like Ellsbury?

Yes, Cano is paid $3M more than Ellsbury with 2 more seasons BUT Ellsbury is already showing signs of losing his spot in the outfield while Cano came off playing 161 games with a career high in HRs 39 and over 100+ RBIs. Can Ellsbury even finish a season healthy?

And that's my point. BOTH are bad deals but Cashman overpaid a guy dressed by the Red Sox...and passed on a guy who could play in NYC over $3M/2yrs difference.

So that leads me to believe it was personal between the Yankees front office and Cano's CAA led by Jay-Z.
User avatar
Mecca
RealGM
Posts: 18,424
And1: 3,762
Joined: May 26, 2008
Location: Formerly xKLNx Phenom
     

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1958 » by Mecca » Mon Mar 6, 2017 2:30 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
BringBackLj! wrote:
Cano didnt derseve that contract, still going to be a **** contract in a few more years i think everyone will agree to that. I wouldnt of signed Cano but if the ALTERNATIVE was Els and Mcann.. Yea i would of just gave Cano the money at least you know hes produced in pinestripes, i hated the els signing for Day 1, he had that massive year when he was almost MVP and hit a ton of homers. Yanks alwayst hink the short fence will produce alot more homers. The def thought Els could be a 30 hr guy with lead off and speed , back fired thou,.

And yea hes untrable, hes always hurt, he cant throw, doesnt walk, low on base percetage and his steals are going down.. Literally hes terrible


You're missing my point...

After making a point about fiscal responsibility, how can Hal Steinbrenner defend a signing like Ellsbury?

Yes, Cano is paid $3M more than Ellsbury with 2 more seasons BUT Ellsbury is already showing signs of losing his spot in the outfield while Cano came off playing 161 games with a career high in HRs 39 and over 100+ RBIs. Can Ellsbury even finish a season healthy?

And that's my point. BOTH are bad deals but Cashman overpaid a guy dressed by the Red Sox...and passed on a guy who could play in NYC over $3M/2yrs difference.

So that leads me to believe it was personal between the Yankees front office and Cano's CAA led by Jay-Z.


Exactly. I thought Cano's contract was bad, but if our plan was to spend, I rather have the future HOF'er rather than two B level players that we ultimately ended up regretted signing.
Image
[Build-a-Label] - TDE
K. Dot
The Alchemist
Lupe Fiasco
Jay Electronica
Pusha T
The Internet
Schoolboy Q - Ab Soul - Jay Rock
User avatar
JustCame
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,884
And1: 357
Joined: Feb 03, 2011

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1959 » by JustCame » Mon Mar 6, 2017 7:02 pm

Mecca wrote:Exactly. I thought Cano's contract was bad, but if our plan was to spend, I rather have the future HOF'er rather than two B level players that we ultimately ended up regretted signing.


I think the best plan was to let Cano walk, grab that compensatory pick, and not sign Ellsbury. The Cano contract would've been terrible. He's going to be good for a couple more years, but then for the 5 years after that that contract will be a terrible burden. Even an all-time great like A-Rod ended up making the 10-year contract look bad in the end. I know it was worth more, but still.
Indiana Pacers BaT 17
PG: Isaiah Thomas | Yogi Ferrell | Jerian Grant
SG: Iman Shumpert | Langston Galloway | Glenn Robinson III | Rashad Vaughn
SF: DeMarre Carroll | DeAndre Liggins | Reggie Bullock
PF: Draymond Green | Willie Reed | Kevon Looney
C: Brook Lopez | Nene
User avatar
Mecca
RealGM
Posts: 18,424
And1: 3,762
Joined: May 26, 2008
Location: Formerly xKLNx Phenom
     

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#1960 » by Mecca » Mon Mar 6, 2017 7:35 pm

JustCame wrote:
Mecca wrote:Exactly. I thought Cano's contract was bad, but if our plan was to spend, I rather have the future HOF'er rather than two B level players that we ultimately ended up regretted signing.


I think the best plan was to let Cano walk, grab that compensatory pick, and not sign Ellsbury. The Cano contract would've been terrible. He's going to be good for a couple more years, but then for the 5 years after that that contract will be a terrible burden. Even an all-time great like A-Rod ended up making the 10-year contract look bad in the end. I know it was worth more, but still.


I would've been cool with that as well. Unfortunately, we tried to retool instead of rebuild which led to delaying our rise back to contending.
Image
[Build-a-Label] - TDE
K. Dot
The Alchemist
Lupe Fiasco
Jay Electronica
Pusha T
The Internet
Schoolboy Q - Ab Soul - Jay Rock

Return to New York Knicks