ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#681 » by reub » Sun Dec 4, 2016 2:04 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
I didn't know he also played CF. Is he any good?

Seriously, he may not be a bad option. I know his stats have been on the decline, tho I don't know what kind of numbers he put up last year.

Carlos Gomez was good on the Brewers when we were about to trade for him. When he went to TX instead his numbers dipped. Perhaps the underlying injury which blocked our deal played a role and has yet to be addressed? Another Carlos who could be in play is Carlos Gonzalez who has played some CF in his career.

Having good hitters is nice, but we need to add some offense generators. We need a guy who is a threat once he gets on base. Giving that responsibility to a 30 year old Reyes who is frequently hurt is pretty dubious.

Gomez would bring some speed, and we should try to figure out if there is anything left of Nyjer Morgan.

Yes, Gomez's numbers dipped last year and it's not unreasonable to think that the injury had something to do with it. I'd be leery.

Too bad we didn't make a move on Cameron Maybin.

If we ended up going with a platoon of Granderson/Lagares in CF, it wouldn't be the worst of situations.

Granderson/Lagares is just fine in CF. We have tremendous depth and talent in our OF so I can't see adding another one although we could trade one. If we trade Bruce or Conforto I think that we will get a good player back in return. And with this roster, there is no room for Nimmo at all.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#682 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 4, 2016 5:42 pm

ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Carlos Gomez was good on the Brewers when we were about to trade for him. When he went to TX instead his numbers dipped. Perhaps the underlying injury which blocked our deal played a role and has yet to be addressed? Another Carlos who could be in play is Carlos Gonzalez who has played some CF in his career.

Having good hitters is nice, but we need to add some offense generators. We need a guy who is a threat once he gets on base. Giving that responsibility to a 30 year old Reyes who is frequently hurt is pretty dubious.

Gomez would bring some speed, and we should try to figure out if there is anything left of Nyjer Morgan.

Yes, Gomez's numbers dipped last year and it's not unreasonable to think that the injury had something to do with it. I'd be leery.

If we ended up going with a platoon of Granderson/Lagares in CF, it wouldn't be the worst of situations.

Granderson/Lagares is just fine in CF. We have tremendous depth and talent in our OF so I can't see adding another one although we could trade one. If we trade Bruce or Conforto I think that we will get a good player back in return. And with this roster, there is no room for Nimmo at all.

It doesn't look to me like we're trading Conforto and that Bruce will be the one traded, but who knows? Nimmo actually has some versatility as a 5th outfielder since he can play all three OF positions and I think some 1B too. But maybe he gets included in a deal as well?
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#683 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 10:13 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

It doesn't look to me like we're trading Conforto and that Bruce will be the one traded, but who knows? Nimmo actually has some versatility as a 5th outfielder since he can play all three OF positions and I think some 1B too. But maybe he gets included in a deal as well?

It's all about priorities. Nimmo, Lugo, Gsellmen, Wheeler, D'Aurno, Bruce all are our trade chips. What we need, really, is a CF with some speed on the bases (I would even make Lagares available in a trade just for the record) and we need a catcher who can play both ends. At this point we need to be seeing what D'Aurno looks like at other positions. He could have Mike Napoli potential and be great insurance for when Wright is missing from the Duda/Wright platoon at 1st.

Obviously McCutchen would be a great #1 option, but there are some nice speedsters out there if we can play "lets make a deal".
De Aza was pretty good for us and if we can move Lagares, if for no other reason than to make room for Gomez, I would not be against bringing him back.

OF Cespedes - Gomez - Grandy with Conforto and De Aza as back ups.
IF Reyes - Cabrera - Walker - Wright/Duda with Flores as the primary back up
C Rivera (if we can get him back) with D'Aurno as a back up

SP rotation: DeGrominator, Dark Knight, Thor, Mr. Matz, Gsellmen
RP: Wheeler, Smoker, Reed, Lugo as a closer, Verrett as mop up guy. (not sure if we still have all these guys).
When Familia comes back, we will see where we want to put him.

A bit nostalgic, but I would love to see if we could get Johan in here to compete for a lefty RP job. He was great for mentoring our pitchers in the minors and without Bartolo he would be like a coach on the bench.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#684 » by reub » Mon Dec 5, 2016 4:51 pm

Dreaming a little, but wouldn't it be nice if we packaged a lot of our tremendous depth and traded for Sale and McCutcheon?

Matz, Wheeler and Lagares for Sale. Conforto for McCutch? Or Bruce and Gsellman for McCutch.

I don't think it's cost effective but we would have a juggernaut!
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#685 » by reub » Mon Dec 5, 2016 10:00 pm

Rumors that the Mets are talking to the Orioles about Bruce for righthanded relief pitcher Brad Brach. Brach is very good but is that enough for Bruce? There are also some rumors that we might trade Grandy instead, which I hope we don't do.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,197

Post#686 » by mpharris36 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 10:04 pm

ClydeRules wrote:Rumors that the Mets are talking to the Orioles about Bruce for righthanded relief pitcher Brad Brach. Brach is very good but is that enough for Bruce? There are also some rumors that we might trade Grandy instead, which I hope we don't do.

there is no way the orioles would take Bruce for Brach.

I think they might do Granderson for Brach. But no way for Bruce.

An elite cost controlled setup man is worth a lot in todays market.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#687 » by reub » Mon Dec 5, 2016 10:08 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:Rumors that the Mets are talking to the Orioles about Bruce for righthanded relief pitcher Brad Brach. Brach is very good but is that enough for Bruce? There are also some rumors that we might trade Grandy instead, which I hope we don't do.

The Orioles have always favored home run hitters and Brach is only a setup man for them. I don't know why they wouldn't deal if they have a need for 30+ home runs and 100 RBIs.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#688 » by mpharris36 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 10:09 pm

ClydeRules wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

The Orioles have always favored home run hitters and Brach is only a setup man for them. I don't know why they wouldn't deal if they have a need for 30+ home runs and 100 RBIs.

elite cost controlled set up man in todays market is worth a ton.

ROSTER

nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#689 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 11:03 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

elite cost controlled set up man in todays market is worth a ton.

What are Nieces numbers as a set up guy? What do you imagine Lugo and Wheeler could do in relief?

Andrew Miller was a failed SP from the Marlins. He's good for what he is, but getting a great bullpen guy should be less of a priority (when you have functional pieces) than a catcher who can get a runner out once in a while.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#690 » by Knickfan1982 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 11:36 pm

ClydeRules wrote:Dreaming a little, but wouldn't it be nice if we packaged a lot of our tremendous depth and traded for Sale and McCutcheon?

Matz, Wheeler and Lagares for Sale. Conforto for McCutch? Or Bruce and Gsellman for McCutch.

I don't think it's cost effective but we would have a juggernaut!

Even if Sale wasn't traded to the Red Sox that wouldn't have been enough. The Red Sox gave up the top prospect in the game according to MLB.com, a top 70 prospect, the Red Sox#8 ranked prospect and their #28 ranked prospect who actually sounds like he's a pretty damned intriguing prospect himself. Matz is a good starting point but Lagares has no bat and Wheeler hasn't proven able to stay healthy.

I'm going to give Matz value equal to Moncada because he's so far proven he's able to maintain his high performance during the transition from the Minors to the Majors. So a similar deal to the Red Sox offer probably would have to look like Steven Matz, Dominic Smith, Wullimer Becerra and maybe someone like Eudor Garcia.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#691 » by reub » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:50 am

Sandy seems like he really wants a relief pitcher. Salas did well for us and I wouldn't mind bringing him back. Blevins is a free agent and seems to want 3 years which I don't think we'll do. I really liked Smoker after he was called up and Lugo might be very good in middle relief. Robles showed flashes too. I'd just re-sign Salas and leave the relievers alone.

Catching seems like a higher priority to me and there isn't much in the free agent market. Again, I'd take a chance on strong hitting free agent Wilson Ramos even though he had knee surgery. Sandy seems to be indicating that we'll go with D'arnaud again which could be a mistake considering that he's a poor hitter and can't throw. I wonder if we could trade Bruce for a decent catcher somewhere?

If worse comes to worse and we don't make any trades, imagine having Cespedes, Granderson and Bruce as our starting outfield with Conforto and Lagares off the bench. That's a murderer's row!

David Wright seems to be relatively healthy and if that's really true then we don't really need much of anything on this roster (except a catcher).
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#692 » by Knickfan1982 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:53 am

ClydeRules wrote:Sandy seems like he really wants a relief pitcher. Salas did well for us and I wouldn't mind bringing him back. Blevins is a free agent and seems to want 3 years which I don't think we'll do. I really liked Smoker after he was called up and Lugo might be very good in middle relief. Robles showed flashes too. I'd just re-sign Salas and leave the relievers alone.

Catching seems like a higher priority to me and there isn't much in the free agent market. Again, I'd take a chance on strong hitting free agent Wilson Ramos even though he had knee surgery. Sandy seems to be indicating that we'll go with D'arnaud again which could be a mistake considering that he's a poor hitter and can't throw. I wonder if we could trade Bruce for a decent catcher somewhere?

If worse comes to worse and we don't make any trades, imagine having Cespedes, Granderson and Bruce as our starting outfield with Conforto and Lagares off the bench. That's a murderer's row!

David Wright seems to be relatively healthy and if that's really true then we don't really need much of anything on this roster (except a catcher).

Maybe it looks a little different from the outside but wouldn't you guys be better off moving one of those guys and signing a geninue leadoff hitter type player to man center field. Granderson does what he can but the dude strikes out too much to be a leadoff guy.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#693 » by reub » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:54 am

Jose Reyes is a good leadoff hitter and played very well for us. He will play an awful lot and lead off for us most of the time.

Also C Wilson Ramos signed with the Rays today. So much for that idea.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#694 » by reub » Wed Dec 7, 2016 9:18 pm

So far the Mets haven't made a move at the winter meetings. We're very good and deep but we're not "stand pat" good. Come on, Sandy!
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#695 » by mpharris36 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 9:23 pm

ClydeRules wrote:So far the Mets haven't made a move at the winter meetings. We're very good and deep but we're not "stand pat" good. Come on, Sandy!

cespedes?

im not saying I wouldn't like them to be more active but Alderson has a way of doing things and it has seem to have worked out in the past being patient. He isn't just going to give away Bruce or Granderson for peanutes. The OF market really hasn't moved because Bautista and Fowler are still FA's. Once those moves start happening more trades will happen.

ROSTER

reub
Lead Assistant

Post#696 » by reub » Wed Dec 7, 2016 10:05 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:So far the Mets haven't made a move at the winter meetings. We're very good and deep but we're not "stand pat" good. Come on, Sandy!

cespedes?

im not saying I wouldn't like them to be more active but Alderson has a way of doing things and it has seem to have worked out in the past being patient. He isn't just going to give away Bruce or Granderson for peanutes. The OF market really hasn't moved because Bautista and Fowler are still FA's. Once those moves start happening more trades will happen.

Okay, Cespedes. But that only keeps us where we were last year. Here is my list of players that are tradeable for an upgrade: Bruce, Conforto, Lagares, Flores, TJ Rivera, D'arnaud, Lugo, Gsellman, Matz, Wheeler. Obviously we wouldn't move all of them but I was hoping that we could do a 3 for 1 or even two of them for higher quality players.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#697 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Dec 7, 2016 10:08 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

cespedes?

Sandy made a point (don't recall if it was only the Mets) that when you spend a lot of money on the BP, it tends not to work out, and then when it's handled within the organization/minor leagues, it works out better. He attributed that to the fact that the team has more flexibility when it can bring up/send down RPs during the season. Once you get locked into multi-year contracts with relievers, you loose that flexibility.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#698 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Dec 7, 2016 10:10 pm

ClydeRules wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

cespedes?

Okay, Cespedes. But that only keeps us where we were last year. Here is my list of players that are tradeable for an upgrade: Bruce, Conforto, Lagares, Flores, TJ Rivera, D'arnaud, Lugo, Gsellman, Matz, Wheeler. Obviously we wouldn't move all of them but I was hoping that we could do a 3 for 1 or even two of them for higher quality players.

Sandy's been around these winter meetings for a long time and like anything else, after a while you get to know the rhythm of them. I'm glad he's patient and not playing desperate, even if he might be.
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#699 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 12:51 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
cespedes?

Sandy's been around these winter meetings for a long time and like anything else, after a while you get to know the rhythm of them. I'm glad he's patient and not playing desperate, even if he might be.

You guy's are so fickle!! What is out there that we realistically can take? Right now, Jose Bautista's price tag is sinking, would be interesting to see him in LF with Ces in CF. We do need to prioritize some other positions though, so waiting game it is. Once teams strike out on FA's, then the Bruce phone starts to ring.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#700 » by Knickfan1982 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 1:31 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:

You guy's are so fickle!! What is out there that we realistically can take? Right now, Jose Bautista's price tag is sinking, would be interesting to see him in LF with Ces in CF. We do need to prioritize some other positions though, so waiting game it is. Once teams strike out on FA's, then the Bruce phone starts to ring.

I really think they should move on a catcher. Bring in Matt Weiters or Kurt Suzuki. They may suck defensively but the Mets had absolutely no offensive production from catcher last year. You can't win a world series with two black holes in your lineup (Catcher and Pitcher).

Return to New York Knicks