ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: OJ Simpson: Made in America 5 part series

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,981

Re: OT: OJ Simpson: Made in America 5 part series 

Post#121 » by Capn'O » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:57 pm

The Hitler comments were a strange and poor choice of words. As a Jew, I don't find them particularly offensive (though obviously some did) but that reference is a real stretch. He would have been better served even simply using the Nazis as an comparison to demonstrate how people in positions of lesser power can become agents of a great systematic racism. There are probably better examples to compare with the LAPD (racism being a function rather than an overt mission) but you can at least connect the dots easier.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,965

Post#122 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Greenie wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Greenie wrote:I also don't think he did it. At most, I think he hired someone to do it.

I'd be really, really curious to hear how you can reach this conclusion. The DNA evidence, the gloves, the shoes, the history of abuse, the lack of reaction when told of Brown's murder, the timeline, his subsequent behavior and comments...you can almost go forever. I guess I can see how somebody would think this back in the day. But2 after watching all of that? Of course he did it.

No. Who found the glove? Where's the murder weapon? Got a witness?

Lack of murder weapon or even a witness isn't a deal-breaker when you have such an overwhelming amount of DNA/forensic evidence. Blood, hair, fibers...it's just overwhelming. Sloppily collected in many cases, for sure. But there was soooooooo much of it, it defies logic to discount it. We're not talking about a couple of drops of blood...we're talking blood pretty much everywhere -- in the Bronco, at OJs home, etc. And the same thing with hair and fibers. It's overwhelming.

Discounting the glove because of Furman's history was just an end run. Unless you think it's a coincidence that Kaelin heard bumping on his bungalow wall at pretty much the exact same spot the gloves were found immediately prior to the police arriving.

Also, an excerpt from the "If I Did It" book..."

If I had actually done it… I would have brought my good gloves that day. I would have thought it was a shame they shrunk when I left them out on the patio, but I would have brought them just the same. They were my lucky gloves, and I would have needed them cause I was going to stab my slut of a wife… hypothetically.

Would an innocent man even think about writing anything like this?

Even if you do discount all that, the slam dunk to me is the shoes -- exact print match in a size of which only 299 pairs were ever sold in the U.S., with photographic proof of Simpson wearing them after he lied about it in the civil trial. I'm embarrasses to use this as a source, but the look on his face when that photo was shown is absolutely priceless.

http://www.people.com/article/oj-simpson-reaction-photo-bruno-magli-shoes-deposition-tapes
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#123 » by Greenie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:00 pm

No one likes OJ. That doesn't mean he killed someone. Plenty of men will beat the hell out of their wives but wouldn't kill them. Being a woman beater does not equal murderer.

Where is the hard evidence. Don't hand me that glove that was found by a Klan member with a history dealing with Nicole and OJ's crap. Don't hand me blood when they took his blood back to the damn crime scene. Don't hand me shoes when they had his socks in possession and only months later "found" that they had blood on them.

It all sounds like a set up to frame a black man who was in fact beating his white wife and getting away with it by a corupt police department.

Since they couldn't come up with a weapon or witness they stuck it to him.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#124 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:22 pm

Greenie wrote:No one likes OJ. That doesn't mean he killed someone.

That's not why. It's because there's an absolute mountain of evidence, hard and circumstantial, that point squarely in his direction.

Like the shoes...it had nothing to do with the socks. They found the print directly at the crime scene, and matched it to a pair that he shown to have owned and worn, and lied about it, of which less than 300 were ever sold in the U.S. That's as good as any murder weapon.

If the blood isn't enough for you, there were also hairs and fibers all over the place. They even found hair consistent with Simpson's ON GOLDMAN'S SHIRT!

You can poke holes in some of this, which the defense kinda/sorta did, and if that was all they had, it might be enough. But there's soooo much you almost have to be willfully ignoring it in order to come up with the notion that Simpson was framed. Especially when there was clear motive and no real alibi.

And remember, OJ's not black. He's OJ.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#125 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:26 pm

And for the record, even after all that, with pretty much every arrow pointing in Simpson's direction, with zero doubt in my mind that he butchered two people...it still made me a tiny bit queasy as the judge threw the book at him in Vegas.

That was payback instead of true justice, and that's not how the system should work.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#126 » by Greenie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:28 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Greenie wrote:No one likes OJ. That doesn't mean he killed someone.

That's not why. It's because there's an absolute mountain of evidence, hard and circumstantial, that point squarely in his direction.

Like the shoes...it had nothing to do with the socks. They found the print directly at the crime scene, and matched it to a pair that he shown to have owned and worn, and lied about it, of which less than 300 were ever sold in the U.S. That's as good as any murder weapon.

If the blood isn't enough for you, there were also hairs and fibers all over the place. They even found hair consistent with Simpson's ON GOLDMAN'S SHIRT!

You can poke holes in some of this, which the defense kinda/sorta did, and if that was all they had, it might be enough. But there's soooo much you almost have to be willfully ignoring it in order to come up with the notion that Simpson was framed. Especially when there was clear motive and no real alibi.

And remember, OJ's not black. He's OJ.

OJ may not think he's black, but those cops know he is.

The hair thing? Consistant with OJ's? You mean kinky? A lot of people have kinky hair and even if it was OJ's ths cops put sheets from the house over the bodies. Voided.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#127 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Greenie wrote:OJ may not think he's black, but those cops know he is.

The hair thing? Consistant with OJ's? You mean kinky? A lot of people have kinky hair and even if it was OJ's ths cops put sheets from the house over the bodies. Voided.

Eh, it's possible that OJ's hairs could have been transferred from a blanket from a residence in which, although he visited frequently, he did not live. Just like it's possible your or I could win the lottery, I suppose. While this sort of flimsy technicality is adequate in the court of law, it really doesn't stand up very well when you look everything as a whole, especially two decades later.

If Simpson's case hinged on just a couple of these details -- say a few blood drops instead of a veritable ocean, no thumping behind the bungalow where the glove was found, zero spousal abuse instead of more than a decade's worth, etc. -- it would be a lot more believable.

For example, there was a recent documentary on Netflix of what would seem to have been an obvious case of police/judicial skullduggery identical to what you and others believe took place here. Except there was no motive, the forensic evidence was extremely weak, the accused's mentally-challenged nephew had been obviously coerced into confessing as an accomplice and the local PD was on the hook for a multi-million settlement for a wrongful conviction that put the accused in jail for years.

Put all those circumstances together, and it's entirely believable that there was a set-up. And make no mistake -- I absolutely acknowledge that police and prosecutors are capable of absolutely anything.

But in this case? Credit to the defense for taking advantage of the circumstances that were presented to them. But when you add everything together, you have to jump through sooooooo many hoops to believe that Simpson was actually innocent it pretty much denies any sense of reality.

If that's how you feel, that's how you feel. It certainly wasn't my intent to re-try the case or anything like that. But, all due respect, I'm honestly surprised anyone still believes Simpson was framed. Maybe at the time, sure. But now that everything's settled and we have the benefit of time and perspective, again, it just surprises me. Especially when there still doesn't seem to be anything actually conclusive to base that on outside of the fact that Fuhrman is a scumbag and the LAPD has a deplorable record.

It's telling that both Douglas and Scheck hemmed and hawed when the subject of OJ's innocence was broached. They're not dumb; they know what happened. Hell, even the older female juror flat-out said it -- their decision (or at least hers) had nothing to do with the case at hand, but was an opportunity to stick it to the man.

I'm sorry, for all the criminal behavior African Americans have been subjected to in our legal system, and continue to be today, that's still not justice.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#128 » by madvillian » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:40 pm

I'm sorry, for all the criminal behavior African Americans have been subjected to in our legal system, and continue to be today, that's still not justice.

Right. He did it. The murder weapon was obviously in the bag he dumped at O'Hare. Witnesses? Not needed giving the overwhelming forensic evidence matching blood at the scene and on the gloves to OJ and Nicole. That said, the limo driver very clearly said OJ was late, claimed to have "overslept" and had five bags with him, one which OJ didn't let anyone touch and another witness at the airport reported seeing being dumped into a trash bin. OJ is very, very lucky this crime didn't take place in 2016 as the cameras everywhere would have nailed him dumping the bag.

As his "friend" Ron Shipp testified both Nicole and OJ had mentioned to him that they were afraid he'd kill her. I mean FFS some people don't understand what "beyond a reasonable doubt" means.

There's no way you can look at the entirety of the evidence against him, including all the forensic and circumstantial evidence and form any reasonable doubt.

You can hold all these ideas in your head -- that the LAPD is a racist, brutal outfit, that Fuhrman is an especially brutal, racist example of it, that blacks get a raw deal in America -- and still realize OJ committed this murder.

That said, the poster that responded to my question about why AAs "chose" OJ is correct. They didn't choose anything he was just the right man at the right time. There wasn't any choice really.

The images of AAs celebrating still disturbs me but hey, it's not as fun hunting when the rabbits got the shotgun is it? What I mean by that is blacks have suffered the same celebrations from whites literally millions of times. For once, the glove was on the other hand.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.

Return to New York Knicks