ImageImageImageImageImage

Derrick Rose to NY II: Rose Rising

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Re: Derrick Rose to NY II: Rose Rising 

Post#401 » by whocurrz » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:03 am

TheBigBoss wrote:WTF?!? How did Sasha become part of the crew? Lol

Looks like they're all working out in LA, and Sasha lives here in the offseason. Looks like they're at Mira Costa which is a high school in Manhattan/ Hermosa beach, and I've seen Sasha here multiple times.

They're visiting Sasha to get some of the hot girls and good weather we're getting in LA right now.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,435

Post#402 » by RHODEY » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:59 am

Johnstarks wrote:I know I've said this before but I really think people are overestimating the impact rose will have. Calderon was a floor spacer with an extremely low usage rate. He scored when he shot and he didn't throw possessions away. He didn't cramp spacing for other guys to go to work. That's not a bad offensive player if he's your SF or PF.

Now since he's your PG it stands out because you have to initiate offense with a potentially less efficient ballhandler/penetrator but if we theoretically had one it would not be so pronounced. Example pairing Dellevedova with leBron or Beverley with harden.

Okay so now they replace him with rose. Rose has a much higher usage rate and gets penetration but the net effect is when he's off the ball the knicks get a downgrade in spacing. And when he's on the ball they consume a lot of extra empty possessions on his bricks. And there's no proof he creates enough additional baskets via assists and penetration to offset his higher brick ratio...

Getting rid of a low usage, floor spacer doesn't necessarily improve your offense, it just reallocates your possessions... we have to do something productive with them to improve the offense

Lee improves our spacing but takes away a playmaker as he's basically just a catch and shoot guy. Noah is a downgrade on offense from lopez in all likelihood. Porzingis is a defensive star, his offense is still being nurtured. He could break out but I'd expect more of a transition improvement before he truly becomes a goto scorer.

Anthony has been in steady decline with his knee issues. I'm just not seeing a top 15 offense here.

Noah isn't a dpoy candidate at this stage of his career and lopez was solid on that end. Rose is a terrible defender much like Calderon. Anthony is still anthony. Porz is terrific but he was already terrific last year. Who knows how much improvement he has on thwt end? Lee is a solid defender and an upgrade over afflalo but it's not like we went from Jamal Crawford to Danny green or anything.

I just think these "upgrades" or relatively slight. And the lingering health concerns will be there all year. There are so many across the board that it's virtually impossible a few prolonged injuries don't bite us and the bench is weak.

Then combine thwt with very little continuity amongst the players, coaches, or system. And a bunch of egos. And a high profile media market... this thing all seems extremely combustible.

Like there is a slight hope this could really work and the team star power aligns and this team wins a round in the playoffs...

But doesn't it seem almost as likely the wheels fall off and this team goes 30-52? I just don't have much optimism for this group.

In the end I think they go through some hot stretches thwt get everyone excited. And some dreadful stretches that get so much more attention than warranted because it's the knicks and they have big names this year. Roller coaster ride for this team in a conference where teams like indy, det, cha the knicks are chasing have much more stability. And even teams like mia, Atlanta, mil Waukee look better on paper to me.

Can I have some of what you're smoking?
postcall
Sixth Man
And1: 538

Post#403 » by postcall » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:59 am

Johnstarks wrote:I know I've said this before but I really think people are overestimating the impact rose will have. Calderon was a floor spacer with an extremely low usage rate. He scored when he shot and he didn't throw possessions away. He didn't cramp spacing for other guys to go to work. That's not a bad offensive player if he's your SF or PF.

Now since he's your PG it stands out because you have to initiate offense with a potentially less efficient ballhandler/penetrator but if we theoretically had one it would not be so pronounced. Example pairing Dellevedova with leBron or Beverley with harden.

Okay so now they replace him with rose. Rose has a much higher usage rate and gets penetration but the net effect is when he's off the ball the knicks get a downgrade in spacing. And when he's on the ball they consume a lot of extra empty possessions on his bricks. And there's no proof he creates enough additional baskets via assists and penetration to offset his higher brick ratio...

Getting rid of a low usage, floor spacer doesn't necessarily improve your offense, it just reallocates your possessions... we have to do something productive with them to improve the offense

Lee improves our spacing but takes away a playmaker as he's basically just a catch and shoot guy. Noah is a downgrade on offense from lopez in all likelihood. Porzingis is a defensive star, his offense is still being nurtured. He could break out but I'd expect more of a transition improvement before he truly becomes a goto scorer.

Anthony has been in steady decline with his knee issues. I'm just not seeing a top 15 offense here.

Noah isn't a dpoy candidate at this stage of his career and lopez was solid on that end. Rose is a terrible defender much like Calderon. Anthony is still anthony. Porz is terrific but he was already terrific last year. Who knows how much improvement he has on thwt end? Lee is a solid defender and an upgrade over afflalo but it's not like we went from Jamal Crawford to Danny green or anything.

I just think these "upgrades" or relatively slight. And the lingering health concerns will be there all year. There are so many across the board that it's virtually impossible a few prolonged injuries don't bite us and the bench is weak.

Then combine thwt with very little continuity amongst the players, coaches, or system. And a bunch of egos. And a high profile media market... this thing all seems extremely combustible.

Like there is a slight hope this could really work and the team star power aligns and this team wins a round in the playoffs...

But doesn't it seem almost as likely the wheels fall off and this team goes 30-52? I just don't have much optimism for this group.

In the end I think they go through some hot stretches thwt get everyone excited. And some dreadful stretches that get so much more attention than warranted because it's the knicks and they have big names this year. Roller coaster ride for this team in a conference where teams like indy, det, cha the knicks are chasing have much more stability. And even teams like mia, Atlanta, mil Waukee look better on paper to me.

Yeah I am with you 100% this is the annual offseason circle jerk. This team is poorly constructed and I believe Phil knows that. He likely is gone after this year and doesn't want to put out a garbage product on his way out. At least if we win 35-40 games Phil can say he left a team headed in the right direction. Should have fired him before he offered Noah that horrific contract.
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#404 » by ChilledAlex » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:02 am

AmazingJason wrote:

People underrate Sasha. He's an NBA champion, is 100% reliable to be at where he's supposed to be on the court, and is a mentor to KP. Was an absolute beast once he got into a rhythm last season.

True, I really liked Sasha at the end of last season when he got some minutes. Was creating offense, pushing pace and hitting shots. And on defense he was pretty good either i'd say - pesky, trashtalking dudes are real annoying to play against
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#405 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:12 pm

AmazingJason wrote:

People underrate Sasha. He's an NBA champion, is 100% reliable to be at where he's supposed to be on the court, and is a mentor to KP. Was an absolute beast once he got into a rhythm last season.

A few people have said he only played that well because the competition wasn't much in April. I disagree. Earlier in the year, he wasn't good against bad competition. He really did seem to find his rhythm, and if he keeps it up this year, he's part of what we need coming off the bench. I don't think we should tarnish him because he started next to Jose. He wasn't a starter, and Jose sure as hell wasn't a starter.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Post#406 » by Rotten Apple » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:34 pm

postcall wrote:

Yeah I am with you 100% this is the annual offseason circle jerk. This team is poorly constructed and I believe Phil knows that. He likely is gone after this year and doesn't want to put out a garbage product on his way out. At least if we win 35-40 games Phil can say he left a team headed in the right direction. Should have fired him before he offered Noah that horrific contract.

Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Phil knows the team HE BUILT is poorly constructed....that makes absolutely zero sense.
postcall
Sixth Man

Post#407 » by postcall » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:12 pm

What part dont you understand? Pretty standard practice for a desperate GM who knows his time is about to end. He is done after this year as the full time guy in NYC. In true Knicks fashion he will be "Reassigned to a consultant special advisor role."
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#408 » by poeman » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Question for yall...Do you forsee a 50 point game by Rose this season?
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,896

Post#409 » by DaGawd » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:07 pm

poeman wrote:Question for yall...Do you forsee a 50 point game by Rose this season?

Not a chance
BaF
Washington Wizards
will34
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,571

Post#410 » by will34 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:07 pm

poeman wrote:Question for yall...Do you forsee a 50 point game by Rose this season?

Yes in my 2k mode.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,435

Post#411 » by RHODEY » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:08 pm

Unlikely , although he is certainly capable ,but he'll have too many other scoring options around him.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#412 » by MC3 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:12 pm

As Derrick fan. Nope.
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#413 » by Rotten Apple » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:18 pm

postcall wrote:What part dont you understand? Pretty standard practice for a desperate GM who knows his time is about to end. He is done after this year as the full time guy in NYC. In true Knicks fashion he will be "Reassigned to a consultant special advisor role."

Why are you making up stuff?
postcall
Sixth Man

Post#414 » by postcall » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:19 am

Rotten Apple wrote:
postcall wrote:What part dont you understand? Pretty standard practice for a desperate GM who knows his time is about to end. He is done after this year as the full time guy in NYC. In true Knicks fashion he will be "Reassigned to a consultant special advisor role."

Sig bet ? Playoffs vs Not?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,046

Re: RE: Re: Derrick Rose to NY II: Rose Rising 

Post#415 » by GONYK » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:49 am

postcall wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:

I'll take a sig bet that Phil is still the President next season.
postcall
Sixth Man

Post#416 » by postcall » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:20 am

Yeah he will here next season. Its the season after that he will be gone erm moved to a special advisory etc.
My offer is playoffs or not for that guy.
For you
If you want to do a $5 charity bet Over Under 39 wins let me know. Lets keep it positive.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,046

Post#417 » by GONYK » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:31 am

postcall wrote:Yeah he will here next season. Its the season after that he will be gone erm moved to a special advisory etc.
My offer is playoffs or not for that guy.
For you
If you want to do a $5 charity bet Over Under 39 wins let me know. Lets keep it positive.

No, I'm making a bet for the season after. I'm saying he finishes his full 5 yr contract as President.

I'm not making any bets on win totals. I think the starting 5 is actually the most cohesive lineup we've had in a very long time and very well put together in terms of talent. Betting on a win total is a fool's errand because of the injury concerns though.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,955

Post#418 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:41 am

steve mills is the knicks GM
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
tapshotta
Junior
And1: 169

Post#419 » by tapshotta » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:58 am

RHODEY wrote:

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

First, I defended Jose last year with many of the same arguments. He was miscast as a starting pg compounded by havin no penetrators. His 114 Ortg supported him being a positive on that end. He'd actually be ok as that third pg we need this season.

Rose regularly is among league leaders in hockey assists. Jose had a 22.4% asst rate last year, Rose 25.5.

Those possessions are going to be reallocated to a better playmaker with the skill we most lacked last season; ability to dribble penetrate. If we had a guard who could shoot like Jose and penetrate like Rose he'd be a hall of famer. Check the numbers. It doesn't exist.

Lee had a 9.1 asst %, AA had a 9.9% but Lee is a better shooter and defender by the numbers. I'll take that trade off, easily.

Lopez was almost all nba caliber as a rim defender last year and a tank who played 82 games. He was also a phenomenal offensive rebounder. Noah was better on the O boards, strong as a rim defender and a vastly superior perimeter defender. Plus he has a point guard level assist rate; 24.2%.

Melo is going to get lots of low effort jumpshots on skip passes and pullups or lay ups on cuts to the rim.

We added waaay better playmakers; by percentages like 3 fold in total, better penetration by 2.5 fold, better perimeter defense by far between the upgrade at pg, big upgrade at shooting guard and huuge upgrade at center. And lost some rim protection and back to the basket scoring. I'll take those trade offs for faster pace, more high percentage shots at the rim with better offensive rebounding, and cleaner looks from the outside for jumpshooters.

Will it all gel, I don't know. There is aloooot of continuity that has to be built, new personalities, some injury history etc etc. Potentially tho, we got alot better without even considering the fact that Jennings brings some of the same strengths as Rose. Or having a muucch more experienced coach with an offense that should be tailor made for DRose. Anybody remember how Eric Bledsoe looked when Coach Horn was running things?

Rose is in the perfect position for a career resurgence.

This season is going to be exciting and full of basketball-centric storylines.
hominy ad sugar
Rotten Apple
General Manager

Post#420 » by Rotten Apple » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:33 am

postcall wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:

I'm done entertaining posters like you no thank you.

Return to New York Knicks