ImageImageImageImageImage

Hassan Whiteside - would you target him

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Re: Hassan Whiteside - would you target him 

Post#61 » by boomann21 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:18 pm

I actually like Whiteside. I've followed him closely since he returned to the league with Miami. I think he just needs help with the way he relates to the media because he talks too much. His game is exactly what the Knicks need in terms of offense, because he will give Anthony and KP more open shots from the outside.

I think a lot of people are caught up in his on the court altercations which were pretty damming. I don't think he will revert back to being who he was prior to a contract because the dude does the work to succeed in the league. In Miami the players have to be in a certain shape to please Pat Riley and he has done those things. I would take him, but not for the max.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,051

Post#62 » by GONYK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:23 pm

boomann21 wrote:I actually like Whiteside. I've followed him closely since he returned to the league with Miami. I think he just needs help with the way he relates to the media because he talks too much. His game is exactly what the Knicks need in terms of offense, because he will give Anthony and KP more open shots from the outside.

I think a lot of people are caught up in his on the court altercations which were pretty damming. I don't think he will revert back to being who he was prior to a contract because the dude does the work to succeed in the league. In Miami the players have to be in a certain shape to please Pat Riley and he has done those things. I would take him, but not for the max.

I don't think I've even brought up his attitude.

My main issue with him is that he's not really a good team defender at all, and the Heat were a much better defensive team without him on the floor.
boomann21
RealGM

Post#63 » by boomann21 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:24 pm

Here is a story about how hard he worked to get back in the league. I think some of you never seen him play last season and are just going by here say to form your own opinions. The guy is just misunderstood from my point of view.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/from-forgotten-to-coveted/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national
boomann21
RealGM

Post#64 » by boomann21 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:25 pm

GONYK wrote:
boomann21 wrote:I actually like Whiteside. I've followed him closely since he returned to the league with Miami. I think he just needs help with the way he relates to the media because he talks too much. His game is exactly what the Knicks need in terms of offense, because he will give Anthony and KP more open shots from the outside.

My main issue with him is that he's not really a good team defender at all, and the Heat were a much better defensive team without him on the floor.

What about his offense though? His ability to draw defenders would greatly assist the Knicks on offense. And all the years we have begged for someone to block some shots for the Knicks, I think people would be giddy if he came here and blocked 3 to 4 shots per game.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#65 » by GONYK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:34 pm

boomann21 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

What about his offense though? His ability to draw defenders would greatly assist the Knicks on offense. And all the years we have begged for someone to block some shots for the Knicks, I think people would be giddy if he came here and blocked 3 to 4 shots per game.

His offense is decent, but he's not really a good passer, so I'm not over the top on that. He mainly scores off of lobs and hooks, so really he's not really a player who you dump it down to and let him go to work. I don't even think Hornacek even wants a 5 like that.

His shot blocking comes from not playing actual defense. He camps in the paint on PnRs, which allows the offense to just shoot open jumpers all day, and he chases blocks, which leads to his team giving up offensive rebounds and a lot of second chance points. The Heat were actually a better defensive rebounding team without him on the floor as well.

Also, he can't set a clean screen to save his life, which kind of bothers me, especially coming from Rolo.

He's basically a younger, slightly better version of current Gasol in terms of impact.
boomann21
RealGM

Post#66 » by boomann21 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:41 pm

I respect your opinion, I just believe he is on the verge of being a pretty good ball player. He is entering the prime age of his career and would raise the expectations around here dramatically.

Derrick Rose
Unknown SG
Carmelo Anthony
KP
Hassan Whiteside

That lineup would be a scary site for opposing players even with the unknown SG.
riter
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,531

Post#67 » by riter » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:45 pm

CoolKids wrote:
riter wrote:
EdgeOf wrote:

Yes, this. Saving the money is a much better option

bird in the hand.
You sign Whiteside if you can. He is an asset.
Whiteside/KP/Melo in 2017.
If, and that's a big if, the Knicks are in a position to sign 2 true max players---then Whiteside is moved.

there is no need to turn down an elite athlete, shot blocker, and rebounder, now in the hopes of having 2 max slots later.

when he shows up out of shape and averages 6 and 5 will he be an asset then?

Your response makes no sense.
if there was a reasonable expectation that a healthy Whiteside would average 6 and 5 this thread wouldn't exist on this board or any other nba board.
CoolKids
RealGM
And1: 2,648

Post#68 » by CoolKids » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:51 pm

riter wrote:
CoolKids wrote:
riter wrote:
bird in the hand.
You sign Whiteside if you can. He is an asset.
Whiteside/KP/Melo in 2017.
If, and that's a big if, the Knicks are in a position to sign 2 true max players---then Whiteside is moved.

there is no need to turn down an elite athlete, shot blocker, and rebounder, now in the hopes of having 2 max slots later.

when he shows up out of shape and averages 6 and 5 will he be an asset then?

Your response makes no sense.
if there was a reasonable expectation that a healthy Whiteside would average 6 and 5 this thread wouldn't exist on this board or any other nba board.

there seems to be a great many people in this thread alone who believe whiteside is ready to mail it in the nanosecond he signs that contract
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#69 » by reub » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Whiteside's stats are off the charts!

14.5 rebounds, 4.5 blocks, 17.5 pts, 60% fg per 36 minutes.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#70 » by GONYK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:08 pm

ClydeRules wrote:Whiteside's stats are off the charts!

Yet his team is better without him. Hmm...
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#71 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Yankeeknickfan wrote:No thanks. Horford, or Mahinmi please.

Makes no sense to give that guy a max with his issues and uncertainties. Mahinmi is a great idea. Guy was a stud in Dallas and in Indy.
Also on my list is Hibbert who should be relatively cheap.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#72 » by Yankeeknickfan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:26 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:

Makes no sense to give that guy a max with his issues and uncertainties. Mahinmi is a great idea. Guy was a stud in Dallas and in Indy.

If go with mosgov before hibbert. Roy is a literal trashcan
Imageceltics
cibili
Junior
And1: 128

Post#73 » by cibili » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:38 pm

GONYK wrote:
boomann21 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

His offense is decent, but he's not really a good passer, so I'm not over the top on that. He mainly scores off of lobs and hooks, so really he's not really a player who you dump it down to and let him go to work. I don't even think Hornacek even wants a 5 like that.

His shot blocking comes from not playing actual defense. He camps in the paint on PnRs, which allows the offense to just shoot open jumpers all day, and he chases blocks, which leads to his team giving up offensive rebounds and a lot of second chance points. The Heat were actually a better defensive rebounding team without him on the floor as well.

Also, he can't set a clean screen to save his life, which kind of bothers me, especially coming from Rolo.

He's basically a younger, slightly better version of current Gasol in terms of impact.

We don't really dump the ball to him we got Melo for it plus he is not that bad of a post player and it isn't a need for us anyway. He is great at finishing around the rim tho. While rose driving inside he can get great lob or a putback.

His defensive short comes mainly on the coach. Spo never tried to make him fit to the defense not much to offence neither. He is tent to give guard the shooting gap but it's somewhat necessary for that team that has a weak inside defence contrary to their perimeter defence. I believe with a decent coach, a traning camp and KP it can be fixed.

Only problem with Whiteside is chemistry and what kind of person he will be when he sign his first big contract. Unfortunately there isn't much ways knowing how it will turn out but on the court I strongly beleive he's a great fit for our team.
If you're just tuning in, tune out -JVG

2016 ECF Game 5
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#74 » by GONYK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:45 pm

cibili wrote:
GONYK wrote:
boomann21 wrote:

We don't really dump the ball to him we got Melo for it plus he is not that bad of a post player and it isn't a need for us anyway. He is great at finishing around the rim tho. While rose driving inside he can get great lob or a putback.

His defensive short comes mainly on the coach. Spo never tried to make him fit to the defense not much to offence neither. He is tent to give guard the shooting gap but it's somewhat necessary for that team that has a weak inside defence contrary to their perimeter defence. I believe with a decent coach, a traning camp and KP it can be fixed.

Only problem with Whiteside is chemistry and what kind of person he will be when he sign his first big contract. Unfortunately there isn't much ways knowing how it will turn out but on the court I strongly beleive he's a great fit for our team.

Could not disagree more. Whiteside's defensive shortcomings come from a combination of laziness and just simply being too slow.

Spo, who is a good coach, has managed to build a decent defense to hide Whiteside when he's on the floor, and a dominant defense when Whiteside is off of the floor.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#75 » by NYKAL » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:03 pm

few game i saw him play, he actually seemed to hurt the team more than he helped. Saw him go after blocks, leaving the man he was on wide open. You can't be so thirsty for blocks that you ignore other aspects of the game. But, that was a VERY small sample size. L
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#76 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:07 pm

Yankeeknickfan wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

If go with mosgov before hibbert. Roy is a literal trashcan

Moz at 12 or Hibbs at 6?
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
BrOnXKing1
Starter
And1: 604

Post#77 » by BrOnXKing1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:11 pm

GONYK wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:Whiteside's stats are off the charts!

Yet his team is better without him. Hmm...

Those numbers reflect beginning of the season when Miami had success with Bosh at center.

During the playoffs, the team was a lot better w Whiteside vs when he wasn't in the game.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#78 » by Jose7 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:13 pm

He's a force...complete force
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
riter
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by riter » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:20 pm

riter
Assistant Coach

Post#80 » by riter » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:21 pm

CoolKids wrote:there seems to be a great many people in this thread alone who believe whiteside is ready to mail it in the nanosecond he signs that contract

I believe that much of that sentiment stems from how wrong many talent scouts were about Hassan. they can't believe how well he's turned out, so it can't last. He has suffered by his own hand, no doubt, but the opinions of scouts early on have also hurt his reputation.
Secondly, I'd rather go with the opinions of Riley and Spo. They're ready to pay him near max.They, ofcourse, can be wrong, but I doubt it.

GONYK wrote:Could not disagree more. Whiteside's defensive shortcomings come from a combination of laziness and just simply being too slow.

Spo, who is a good coach, has managed to build a decent defense to hide Whiteside when he's on the floor, and a dominant defense when Whiteside is off of the floor.

I don't buy the lazy label. What Hassan has accomplished is not a sign of a lazy player.
But the fact is he can be somewhat slow in certain situations.
But those defensive shortcomings are outweighed by his elite defensive abilities like shot blocking and rebounding.
I like Whiteside because of his fit next to KP.
Robin Lopez was a solid backup Center in today's NBA. But next to LMA and KP, he looked like a starter. the IQ and abilities of those players make role players better.
And that's what Hassan is--- a $22 million/year role player that will lead the league in rebounds and blocks for years to come.
KP and a defensive guard (like Holiday) are already enough to mitigate any shortcomings Hassan may have.

Return to New York Knicks