ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks looking to trade for Jahlil Okafor?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

sasso
Junior
And1: 132

Re: Knicks looking to trade for Jahlil Okafor? 

Post#41 » by sasso » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:31 pm

CJackson wrote:Does Okafor have any speed at all?

He struck me as a somewhat plodding low post guy with great finishing hands, but maybe not a great passer or a guy with a motor.

If the Knicks want to create pace is Okafor the guy for the kind of ball we're supposedly going to play?

He is actually a lot quicker than you would think:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK472jWIn7k[/youtube]
If we can get top 5 protection, I would trade the 2018 pick + O'Quinn without question. He is a talented top 3 pick, he is a triangle center, and he can fit very nicely in a frontline with Porzingis. We have Noah at center already, but I'm sure they want to cap his minutes given all of his injuries. He and Okafor could split minutes at center now, and as Noah ages they can transition more minutes to Okafor at center.
tapshotta
Junior
And1: 169

Post#42 » by tapshotta » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:34 pm

Al Jefferson is a 23/11/2/1stl/2blk performer in his prime.

This homerism is crazy.
hominy ad sugar
tapshotta
Junior

Post#43 » by tapshotta » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:34 pm

Al Jefferson was all-NBA at one point in his career.

Stop selling him short.
hominy ad sugar
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#44 » by NYKAL » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:37 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:I'm down as long as it doesn't involve KP. Yes, I'd trade a future 1st for Okafor. Very unlikely we'd select a player as good as him. Remember Okafor was the 3rd pick last year and hasn't shown to be a bust. I know we signed Noah but he's 31 and won't be here forever. Okafor and KP can be our frontline for the next decade and their games compliment each other.

agreed. He was a rookie, no reason why his defense can't improve. You don't find guys who are just that damn good in the post plus, he has a good jumper. Add to that, if we are half as good as we hope, that 1st rounder won't come to nearly as good a player as Okafor is now and may become.

Also, just imagine having 2guys down low that might demand doubles. He would make the game so much easier for Proz and if he leads the 2nd unit...damn
tapshotta
Junior

Post#45 » by tapshotta » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:38 pm

Oh and Okafors hands and footwork would make him absolutely monstrous on Rose's dump offs on the lane.

Watch Chicago highlights and imagine Okafor instead of Taj Gibson. You'll see the synergy.
hominy ad sugar
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#46 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:46 pm

knicks85 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:I kind of dislike him a lot but also think he and KP would be a great pairing for so many years. I give up value for him.

Deal Melo for picks and use those.

OMG dude

come on now

When can players signed in the offseason be traded?

not for a long while

I think its december

we wouldn't trade any new signings anyway

KOQ or Holiday would be the only guys wed move
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#47 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:47 pm

We don't have the assets for him (outside of obvious non-starters like KP). Nothing to see here.
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,574

Post#48 » by Lord Commander » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:48 pm

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:We don't have the assets for him (outside of obvious non-starters like KP). Nothing to see here.

You don't think a 2018 first would entice them?
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM

Post#49 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:49 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:
Knicks_Fan2 wrote:We don't have the assets for him (outside of obvious non-starters like KP). Nothing to see here.

I don't. They are in phase 2 of their rebuild and have plenty of rookies. They could easily get a 2017 first for Jahlil so why take a 2018? I'm sure they desperately want a young guard.

I'm sure he has not been traded yet (or Noel) because their demands have been way too high and they wanted to wait until teams struck out in FA to see what offers come in. Really isn't much urgency on their end re: Jahlil although his stock could dip when they are trying to play 4/5 front court guys in their regular rotation this year.
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,574

Post#50 » by Lord Commander » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:
ToHoleWithSoul wrote:

I don't. They are in phase 2 of their rebuild and have plenty of rookies. They could easily get a 2017 first for Jahlil so why take a 2018? I'm sure they desperately want a young guard.

Nobody is giving them a 2017. By all accounts, that draft class is set to go down in history. Plus, if they're shopping him so heavily, why hasn't anyone offered anything substantive?
3eePointGoal
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#51 » by 3eePointGoal » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:52 pm

I would def make the trade. I know of okafors defensive short comings but he a KP do seem like a sweet front court. U have offensive power with KPs defensive intensity. They would grow together nicely. Let okafor come off the bench and put pressure on Noah to keep his starting role. Plus Noah's tutelage would work wonders on both KP and jahlil

Threeee point goooal... Kristap Porrrzingizz
C- Andre Drummond, Jared Sullinger
PF- Zach Randolph, Marquese Chriss
SF- Danilo Gallinari, Jerami Grant
SG- Devin Booker, Arron Afflalo, Randy Foye
PG- Rajon Rondo, Emmanuel Mudiay

pmoney681@gmail.com
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM

Post#52 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:53 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:
Knicks_Fan2 wrote:
ToHoleWithSoul wrote:

Nobody is giving them a 2017. By all accounts, that draft class is set to go down in history. Plus, if they're shopping him so heavily, why hasn't anyone offered anything substantive?

We have no idea either way on who has offered what but we will agree to disagree on whether they could get a 2017 first for him. Just depends how high...obviously, say a team like the Warriors, would do it in 5 seconds but would a garbage team or the Celtics? Probably not...then there are all the teams in the middle.
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM

Post#53 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:53 pm

3eePointGoal wrote:I would def make the trade. I know of okafors defensive short comings but he a KP do seem like a sweet front court. U have offensive power with KPs defensive intensity. They would grow together nicely. Let okafor come off the bench and put pressure on Noah to keep his starting role. Plus Noah's tutelage would work wonders on both KP and jahlil

Agreed. That is why KP is so valuable. You can play traditional big men next to him without completely compromising spacing.
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#54 » by EchelonNYK » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:54 pm

Sixers shouldn't care about picks at this point. They may have multiple 1st round picks in next year's draft. So i think that team should target proven players if they are trying to trade Okafor.
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#55 » by Amsterdam » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:55 pm

NOt trading Lee for a bench player, leaving a HUGE hole at the 2.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,850

Post#56 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:57 pm

Yeah, anyone who's saying they wouldn't trade a 1st for Okafor is speaking irrationally from the trauma caused by previous errors.

I AM NOT AN OKAFOR FAN, but the reality is that he is exactly the type of player you give up pick(s) for. Advanced metrics match the pre-draft eye test and say he doesn't do a number of things well and has potentially deep flaws (rebounding, defense, apathy). But even with those flaws the foundation is still worth the investment. He is a 7'0" big with a potentially generational post game that has already translated to the NBA in a season in which he put up 17.5 PPG on 50% from the field, and he is still almost 2 years younger than guys like Kris Dunn and Willy Hernangomez. He's got a year in the NBA under his belt and he's 6 months older than Ben Simmons.

I wouldn't give up much, and the assets the Knicks have that would get it done aren't worth it in my view because of those deep flaws, but if the price is basically just bench players and a pick(s), then Okafor is EXACTLY the type of guy you pursue. As many have already said, though - Philly's not anywhere close to doing it. Even with all the baggage people talk about.
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM

Post#57 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:58 pm

echelonNYK wrote:Sixers shouldn't care about picks at this point. They may have multiple 1st round picks in next year's draft as well. That team should target proven players if they are trying to trade Okafor.

Definitely think that's exactly what they want to do. The problem they are likely running into is that they would have to trade for guards/wings that fit with their other non shooters at a premium and can't find a good trade fit where they think they get good value on Jahlil (or Nerlens).
3eePointGoal
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Re: Re: Knicks looking to trade for Jahlil Okafor? 

Post#58 » by 3eePointGoal » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:02 pm

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:
3eePointGoal wrote:I would def make the trade. I know of okafors defensive short comings but he a KP do seem like a sweet front court. U have offensive power with KPs defensive intensity. They would grow together nicely. Let okafor come off the bench and put pressure on Noah to keep his starting role. Plus Noah's tutelage would work wonders on both KP and jahlil

Agreed. That is why KP is so valuable. You can play traditional big men next to him without completely compromising spacing.

Absolutely agree that KPs value also entails that u could put a somewhat unreliable defensive big man with great offensive tools next to him, and he(KP) will offset the defensive liability with his own defense. Kicker is both bigs now have an outstanding offensive prowess.
Damn, KP and Okafor would be a game plan killer for the opposing coaches.

C- Andre Drummond, Jared Sullinger
PF- Zach Randolph, Marquese Chriss
SF- Danilo Gallinari, Jerami Grant
SG- Devin Booker, Arron Afflalo, Randy Foye
PG- Rajon Rondo, Emmanuel Mudiay

pmoney681@gmail.com
MR IB4TL
Senior
And1: 359

Post#59 » by MR IB4TL » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:05 pm

Yes, I would trade for Jahlil Okafor. I wouldn't think twice about it.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#60 » by dakomish23 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:12 pm

Here's the original article

https://theringer.com/who-wants-jahlil-okafor-303e9d13169#.mrogmjs1q

It wasn't a rumor that we're interested in trading for him. It was an idea for a landing spot for Jah by a writer from The Ringer.

NBA journalism is terrible nowadays. Not only is the overwhelming majority of content just rehashing what an actual journalist found out or said, but it's also turned into crap like this. Someone says something on a podcast and people run with it. It's is disgusting. Our city might be the worst with this hot take, rumor mill, fake reporting bull ****.

On the actual idea of trading for Jah - I'm not sending our safety net on a boom or bust season. I wanted him or Mudiay and would welcome both here. If this season is an epic fail, odds are we tear it down. If that happens, we can send out the assets we would get for someone like Melo.

Keep the safety net Pjax
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks