ImageImageImageImageImage

What country would you move to

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,349

Re: What country would you move to 

Post#81 » by kane » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:38 am

japan they a have fast as hell internet for cheap and are a bunch of perfs that love video games id fit in great :lol:
RealGM
And1: 39,189

Post#82 » by 2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:53 am

People should state their race/ethnicity before stating their preferred country of choice, for perspectives sake.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#83 » by br7knicks » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:59 am

Meat wrote:
br7knicks wrote:never europe, i know that.

if i spoke spanish i would've moved south already. money is not something i care a lot about, and i prefer simpler living (i'm known as a minimalist, holistic, and "crunchy" to my friends). i know there's a lot of corruption there, but probably somewhere where the drugs lords are least around.

west indies

wouldn't mind that if they didn't get hurricanes every 4 hours. have gone to that area to build houses though. people are grateful down there, especially of the little things. i like that sort of lifestyle
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
br7knicks

Post#84 » by br7knicks » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:02 am

Houston99 wrote:New York-if I had a lot of money. Maybe the best city in the world
Amsterdam- I love how the city is built and could see myself living there.
Armenia-My homeland

i know that is ignorant of me, but how big is system of a down over there? i will say this, though, that i had no idea about the armenian genocide or any of the hardship that goes on over there without SOAD. i believe they're quite philanthropists. i know it could be all for show, but they seem pretty sincere with their helping of others.
RIP, magnumt '19

nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,894

Post#85 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:04 am

I am thinking Canada. I can open up a restaurant and still watch NBA games.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
br7knicks

Post#86 » by br7knicks » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:04 am

kane wrote:japan they a have fast as hell internet for cheap and are a bunch of perfs that love video games id fit in great :lol:

but how corrupt is the sex doll trade over there? ours seems pretty tough to get a-head...zing
RIP, magnumt '19

TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#87 » by TheBigBoss » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:26 am

knicksNOTslick wrote:
TheBigBoss wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:I live in Cambodia now, love living here. Been here for 4-5 years now.

I was on the no-plan, plan for some time. I was in Cambodia and supposed to head to Jinan China for work but never went to the flight and never left Cambodia.

I will move back to USA eventually due to my family in USA and also the education of my son, but I would not return if not for those 2 big factors.

Why do you like Cambodia so much? On another note, i may be heading to Korea next year, does anyone have any experience living there?

I lived in Korea for 3 years. That's where I met my wife. Korea is a nice place to live in if you're not Korean. They're all so stressed out over there and they spend a lot of time at work. I went there to teach English at a middle/high school and I even worked overtime for free at times because I wasn't really in it for the money. Fun times, I made lots of friends, pretty much explored all of Korea. Korean food is awesome. Living there was a lot cheaper than New York.

I left because I missed New York. Also, I'm a Filipino-American and some Koreans look down on Filipinos because most of the Filipinos there are foreign wives or factory workers. There was a little discrimination but I didn't let that get to me.

Also, if you learn Korean ahead of time or know how to get by and have patience, it's easier to transition into their culture.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I too am considering being an english teacher out there. How difficult was it beimg a teacher there? And if you dont mind me asking what type of discrimination did you face?
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,201

Post#88 » by Kampuchea » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:14 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience! I too am considering being an english teacher out there. How difficult was it beimg a teacher there? And if you dont mind me asking what type of discrimination did you face?

Discrimination? What is your ethnicity?

I know quite a few expat teachers, I do think Korea is a much better opportunity for teaching. Here in Cambodia they get $1,000 a month, but beer is 50cents a glass and an apartment if $150. You can get up to 4/5K if well qualified and a professor, not TEFL teacher.

For Cambodia, I like the differences in lifestyle. You also never know what to expect so i find life more interesting in general.

It is common to run from the police here, why? Because they stop you for bribes, not to issue a ticket. They never give chase, they may hit you with the baton but instead of chasing just pull the enxt guy over.

More people have motorbikes instead of cars. To get a license you just need a USA license and a smile. (And $50 or so)

The minimum wage is something like $130 monthly, but people can be happy anyway. Lots of smiles. (Also lots of thefts and death, but you don't face it if you know what you are doing).

Outside of the city they still kill fellow villagers because they are suspected witches, so some weird **** happens in the provinces.

I also find people here more friendly compared to the US.

If drinking you have to say cheers and drink more beer repeatedly. Seriously, 50 times or so. These guys know how to drink!

in Summation, I enjoy living a different kind of life with different kind of people who are good friendly people despite a most difficult past (see Khmer Rouge).
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#89 » by DickGrayson » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:26 pm

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:I moved from the tri-state area to the Czech Republic a few years ago and love the quality of life and culture here.

Next stop for me is Rome and then on to Thailand in the winter.

I can definitely say that what makes you happy is what you should be looking for. In general, the USA is a good place to live if you want to make money, start a business, invest, or things of that like.

Europe has a higher quality of life for the average person in my experience. There isn't the kind of abject poverty in Central, Western, Southern, or Nothern Europe that you see in America. Most people here make a living wage, and the social system ensure a good level of health care and education for nearly everyone. It isn't perfect here by any means though. **** is expensive compared to salaries, bureacracy sucks, there's a ceiling on earnings that's hard to break through, taxes are high, etc.

But people here are more liberal, easy-going, cultured, etc. The interesting thing is that when you see America from the outside in you realize that a lot of things we think are unique about our nation are not actually unique at all.

There are more "freedoms" in Europe than there are in America. There's little censorship, there aren't deeply entrenched values that people are afraid of speaking out against, institutionalized racism is rare(though it certainly exists), and people take a live and let live mentality.

America certainly has freedoms too, but our TV and radio are censored, we can't drink legally until 21, drug laws are heavily enforced, our general spirit or zeitgeist if you will is very strong, meaning that speaking out against things considered "american" elicits a strong response from the general populace.

We have to say the pledge of allegiance every day before school like North Korea, and our freedom of the press is ranked 41st in the world....now of course a lot of that is due to heavy governmental supression of military information, but our general press freedom is also censored far more than nations in Europe.

Think of the taboos surrounding race, sex, alcohol, profanity, and nudity in our nation, or how the profit drive creates a stigma for adults that don't have certain things like a dedicated career, a family, or a mortgage. I couldn't imagine what being a 40 + year old man that works as a freelancer and just chills in an apartment drinking wine with friends would be like back in New York or Connecticut. People would think you were a loser. I'm only 28, but seeing the lives my friends have been relegated to already is a scary thought, and most have told me they did because they had to.

There's this idea in America that you have your fun when you are in college and then you need to dedicate your life to a career, a mortgage, and a family. It makes people F'ing miserable.

Here, in general, things are more relaxed. Though many countries like Germany also expect you to dedicate long hours to work, it's still not the same level that I experienced back home.

Most things that are taboo in America are not taboo here. If you go home with a girl at the bar in America, people think she's a slut. In most areas of Europe that's called Saturday night.

I love the USA, and I still visit twice a year. But Europe definitely has a higher quality of life in general. Plus the beer in Czech Republic is killer.

a lot of the things you mentioned about USA don't apply to NYC, the Bronx to be specific.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,565

Post#90 » by Meat » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:57 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Meat wrote:
br7knicks wrote:never europe, i know that.

if i spoke spanish i would've moved south already. money is not something i care a lot about, and i prefer simpler living (i'm known as a minimalist, holistic, and "crunchy" to my friends). i know there's a lot of corruption there, but probably somewhere where the drugs lords are least around.

west indies

wouldn't mind that if they didn't get hurricanes every 4 hours. have gone to that area to build houses though. people are grateful down there, especially of the little things. i like that sort of lifestyle

i know you said never europe but you can live quite nicely and simply in somewhere like Sicily or Sardinia.
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#91 » by boomann21 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Africa, The Congo to be exact.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#92 » by Thorn » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:59 pm

I don't think I was playing along right when I said I wouldn't want to live anywhere other than America... so if I had to pick another country I would think it would have to be Canada.

Yodi2007
Pro Prospect
And1: 137

Post#93 » by Yodi2007 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:03 pm

Greenie wrote:
Yodi2007 wrote:Either I would move to Dubai, United Arab Eremites or Cape May, South Africa! Both places are beautiful, much more relaxed than America, diversity.

You gotta have CASH to live in Dubai.
I wanna go for a vacation...but I don't like the idea of traveling outside the country right now.

Belive it or not it's not actually that expensive to live there! I lived there for a year back in 2008-2009 and lived like a KING! The Airfare is what is expensive 1900.00 usd oneway! Back then the US dollar was 1 for 3 of theirs!
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#94 » by Greenie » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Yodi2007 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Yodi2007 wrote:Either I would move to Dubai, United Arab Eremites or Cape May, South Africa! Both places are beautiful, much more relaxed than America, diversity.

You gotta have CASH to live in Dubai.
I wanna go for a vacation...but I don't like the idea of traveling outside the country right now.

Belive it or not it's not actually that expensive to live there! I lived there for a year back in 2008-2009 and lived like a KING! The Airfare is what is expensive 1900.00 usd oneway! Back then the US dollar was 1 for 3 of theirs!

ahhh
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,913

Post#95 » by Capn'O » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:53 am

2010 wrote:People should state their race/ethnicity before stating their preferred country of choice, for perspectives sake.

Language was a main consideration for me, otherwise a few South American countries would have been featured.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
knicks55
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#96 » by knicks55 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:48 pm

move to any south american country, I moved out of new york 21 years ago...best move ever, i don't have to pay 800 dollars for medical insurance or pay thousands of dollars in rent...have a full time maid for 300 dollars a month and my beautiful girlfriend is 24 years old..life is great and simple....and PS I'm 60 years old.
br7knicks

Post#97 » by br7knicks » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Capn'O wrote:
2010 wrote:People should state their race/ethnicity before stating their preferred country of choice, for perspectives sake.

Language was a main consideration for me, otherwise a few South American countries would have been featured.

whoa, whoa, whoa, when did you become a mod? not that i'm complaining. i like you. but when did this happen?
RIP, magnumt '19

Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#98 » by Yankeeknickfan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Canada
Dominican Republic
England
Imageceltics
StephNYKurry
General Manager
And1: 2,198

Post#99 » by StephNYKurry » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:38 pm

Colombia

For every reason you could think of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do I care...it's rigged anyway
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#100 » by denterprise » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:00 am

knicks55 wrote:move to any south american country, I moved out of new york 21 years ago...best move ever, i don't have to pay 800 dollars for medical insurance or pay thousands of dollars in rent...have a full time maid for 300 dollars a month and my beautiful girlfriend is 24 years old..life is great and simple....and PS I'm 60 years old.

Return to New York Knicks