ImageImageImageImageImage

Phil Jackson:"Today's players simply lack the skills to play the triangle".

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Re: Phil Jackson:"Today's players simply lack the skills to play the triangle". 

Post#101 » by HEZI » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:04 am

BKlutch wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:
BKlutch wrote: watch the video. it's well done, very respectful of Curry, too.

Good video but he failed to point out the wide open looks that were presented to Harrison Barnes which he could not knock down. The Cavs were throwing double teams at Curry in the 4th quarters and left Barnes wide open. Barnes had chances to wrap up the series on multiple occasions but failed. Not sure a player could have been as wide open as he was and have as easy of a role as he had. Just stand at his sweet spot and knock down a wide open shot. He couldn't hit the target.

True that. While Curry played less great, Barnes really stunk up the place. The video was primarily looking at Curry, not the overall Warriors, but your point is a good one.

I would like to add another point. The Warriors entered that series after climbing back from a 3-1 deficit to the Thunder in the round before. Curry just finished a brutal 7 game series in which he had to check Russell Westbrook. He just looked gassed in my opinion.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,404

Post#102 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:49 am

SMAC-K wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:
DId I ever deny this? I completely acknowledge this, but my original statement is that players today are simply more talented and more skilled. That's it! You can't tell me otherwise when I have seen plenty of footage of all the great players this league has ever had. All the greats that came before I was even born, but when I see the abilities of the guys today, there is simply no comparison.

You either forgot to put it into the proper context, didn't want to, or were ignorant to it when you wrote your post. I'm simply saying you should've acknowledged it.

Maybe you should read the entire thread before you decide to jump in halfway and then decide to jump to conclusions based on one post. Those things were already brought up by thebuzzardman earlier in the thread.

But you made a post that stood on it's own. I don't care what Buzzardman said.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,404

Post#103 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:50 am

This is what Draymond Green would look like if he played in the sixties.

TruthBeTold
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#104 » by TruthBeTold » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:09 am

That's an easy statement to say when you've coached hall a fame players such as Jordan, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe...lol. If that's the case Phil, then why the **** are the Knicks still using the triangle? How about letting the **** coach you hire Phil, use whatever type of offense he feels is best suited for today's NBA players. Phil pisses me the **** off every time he opens his mouth about the triangle he won't dare coach unless he has LeBron James. The only reason why the Knicks haven't been able to get a good GM in the past, is because Dolan is an idiot! Knicks better make the playoffs PHIL! :nonono:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,594

Post#105 » by Capn'O » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:29 am

These threads comparing today's players to previous eras are always futile and take on the same arguments and structure.

1. Yesterday's players were more skilled and team orientated
2. Today's players are more athletic and would crush those mf'ers
3. But yesterday's players would be more athletic had they grown up today
4. Yeah but they didn't
5. Yeah but that doesn't matter

and you're stuck in that holding pattern. I wish people would let the different eras stand on their own.

****Bonus Argument**** Today's players would be more skilled if they went through more developmental training before/during their first few years in the league

I don't think Phil's argument fits that mold necessarily because he's skipping straight to the bonus argument. Not as much a "kids these days" lament as much as he wished that guys hit the league with more system basketball training.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#106 » by taikibansei » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:49 am

SMAC-K wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:
The refs are inconsistent but that has always been the case. Even in the 90s the officiating was just as inconsistent. The refs reactions are based on identity and reputation of player and or team. Some players and teams get away with more than others because they build that reputation and identity. What I am talking about are the official rules and the changes made in the rule book.

As far as Steph Curry, there was no mental meltdown. What you saw was fatigue, nothing more. You can argue that the Cavs were even more aggressive with him last year during the Finals, but he did fine. The Thunder did their share of beating him up and being physical and he did fine. Let's not act like Curry is some mentally soft player who can't handle contact. The issue is not that he can't handle it, the issue is whether or not the refs chose to let it happen or not. If they allow it, then allow it, if they don't then don't but have some consistency. The rules are not the issue, the refs inconsistency in making sure the players are equally held to the same standards is the issue. Like how the Cavs got away with holding and being physical, but the Warriors were called for ticky tac fouls all the time. This is why Kerr got frustrated.

Why the **** not?! :crazy: He is soft, and he can't handle contact--as he proved when he (literally and figuratively) threw away this past finals.

I now fully expect the NBA to institute a rule banning defenders from being on the same side of the court as Curry, so that this more "evolved" ( :lol: ) and "skilled" guy can become the "superstar" today's NBA fans deserve. :lol:

Oh ok I get it, you are just a Curry hater that's all. Now I get it

Not sure why I can't get this gif image to show now, as it used to be possible here:

http://i.imgur.com/y5bQ6EZ.gifv

It's just for you, SMAC--consider it an early birthday present. :wink:

Oh, and LMAO at calling me a hater for pointing out that this supposed "superstar" had a horrible series. He had an absolute crappy series--it happens to all players in all eras--but the Curry fanboys keep trying to find increasingly lamer excuses for him--the refs were bad, the Cavs allowed to cheat (i.e., play defense), the lunar tides were off, etc.--while badmouthing all other players. I find the latter really sad.

Instead of defending Curry/GSW on the Knicks board, why don't you just take his poster somewhere and get a room together?
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#107 » by CJackson » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:17 am

Capn'O wrote:These threads comparing today's players to previous eras are always futile and take on the same arguments and structure.

4. Yeah but they didn't

and you're stuck in that holding pattern. I wish people would let the different eras stand on their own.

****Bonus Argument**** Today's players would be more skilled if they went through more developmental training before/during their first few years in the league

I don't think Phil's argument fits that mold necessarily because he's skipping straight to the bonus argument. Not as much a "kids these days" lament as much as he wished that guys hit the league with more system basketball training.

I think you're more skilled at modding than older generations, but the question is how would you have fared in the rough and tumble environment when the message boards were filled with nothing but blood, guts and fury?
CJackson
General Manager

Post#108 » by CJackson » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:19 am

ibraheim718 wrote:This is what Draymond Green would look like if he played in the sixties.

That had to come from Mike Sweetney's highlight reel
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,594

Post#109 » by Capn'O » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:22 am

CJackson wrote:
Capn'O wrote:These threads comparing today's players to previous eras are always futile and take on the same arguments and structure.

4. Yeah but they didn't

I think you're more skilled at modding than older generations, but the question is how would you have fared in the rough and tumble environment when the message boards were filled with nothing but blood, guts and fury?

XOXO
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#110 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:13 am

That was an old quote right?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
HEZI
RealGM

Post#111 » by HEZI » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:10 pm

taikibansei wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
Why the **** not?! :crazy: He is soft, and he can't handle contact--as he proved when he (literally and figuratively) threw away this past finals.

I now fully expect the NBA to institute a rule banning defenders from being on the same side of the court as Curry, so that this more "evolved" ( :lol: ) and "skilled" guy can become the "superstar" today's NBA fans deserve. :lol:

Not sure why I can't get this gif image to show now, as it used to be possible here:

Oh, and LMAO at calling me a hater for pointing out that this supposed "superstar" had a horrible series. He had an absolute crappy series--it happens to all players in all eras--but the Curry fanboys keep trying to find increasingly lamer excuses for him--the refs were bad, the Cavs allowed to cheat (i.e., play defense), the lunar tides were off, etc.--while badmouthing all other players. I find the latter really sad.

Instead of defending Curry/GSW on the Knicks board, why don't you just take his poster somewhere and get a room together?

You still mad?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016_leaders.html

2 time MVP
League leader in PPG
League leader in SPG
League leader in Field Goals made
League leader in Player efficiency rating
League leader in true shooting %
League leader in Offensive Win Shares
League leader in Win Shares
League leader in Box Plus/Minus
League leader in Free Throw %
2nd in the league in Effective Field Goal %
2nd in the league in Offensive Rating
402 made three's
2nd in the league in 3 point %
73 win season
Back to back Finals

You still mad?
DENVER NUGGETS
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#112 » by rammagen » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:43 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
rammagen wrote:Man how old is this article? Fish wants an up tempo offense? I think Phil saw this and tried to address the issue with Horny being hired and will modify the system

I think it's more like Phil saw that Derek was not good or experienced enough to be an NBA coach, period. I mean, Phil was quoted as saying that Fisher was relieved to have been fired.

He addressed it by hiring someone who can actually coach :D

that could be true fish was absolutely horrid, I mean when Rambis looks better at coaching when fish did that should be a warning sign :)
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by taikibansei » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:18 pm

SMAC-K wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:

You still mad?

2 time MVP
League leader in PPG
League leader in SPG
402 made three's
73 win season
Back to back Finals

You still mad?

Yeah, I'm really "mad" over this. :roll: :lol: Oh, and that list just shows how weak the league currently is. Face it, back in the day, the only way your boy Curry would have made it anywhere near an All-star game would have been as the official luggage carrier for Wilt--so that he'd have both arms free for his women for that night. 8-)
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
CJackson
General Manager

Post#114 » by CJackson » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:24 pm

taikibansei wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:
taikibansei wrote:

You still mad?

2 time MVP
League leader in PPG
League leader in SPG
402 made three's
73 win season
Back to back Finals

You still mad?

Yeah, I'm really "mad" over this. :roll: :lol: Oh, and that list just shows how weak the league currently is. Face it, back in the day, the only way your boy Curry would have made it anywhere near an All-star game would have been as the official luggage carrier for Wilt--so that he'd have both arms free for his women for that night. 8-)

Actually, Curry would make an adorable bell hop in a Wes Anderson movie
tapshotta
Junior
And1: 169

Post#115 » by tapshotta » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:39 pm

CJackson wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:
You still mad?

2 time MVP
League leader in PPG
League leader in SPG
402 made three's
73 win season
Back to back Finals

You still mad?

interesting concept. imagine a Knicks cameo in something by Jodorowsky :D
hominy ad sugar
tapshotta
Junior

Post#116 » by tapshotta » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:40 pm

even better, Kubrick. Yes.
hominy ad sugar
HEZI
RealGM

Post#117 » by HEZI » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:42 pm

taikibansei wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:
taikibansei wrote:

You still mad?

2 time MVP
League leader in PPG
League leader in SPG
402 made three's
73 win season
Back to back Finals

You still mad?

It'll be ok
DENVER NUGGETS
taikibansei
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by taikibansei » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:43 pm

CJackson wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:
You still mad?

2 time MVP
League leader in PPG
League leader in SPG
402 made three's
73 win season
Back to back Finals

You still mad?

Curry has the look, but I'd be worried about him hamming it up in the scenes...and then at the crucial moment dropping the luggage (and/or passing those bags off to the wrong guy...). Still, you have a point! :D
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
CJackson
General Manager

Post#119 » by CJackson » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:50 pm

tapshotta wrote:
CJackson wrote:
taikibansei wrote:

El No Homo

Starring:

Dolan as Flatula, the fat priest with a ukelele

Noah as The Animal, a naked cowboy riding Moocow

Rose as Oozo, a deflated sex doll that thinks it is god

Jennings as Got This, the archer with no arms

Porzingis as The Tingis, a pale unicorn that must eat mother's home cooking to survive

Melo as Foodie, the digital athlete that will end all suffering but always has the runs because they didn't read the sign "don't drink the water"

Harthorne Wingo & Bill Pidto as The Couple, a pair of bickering stoners who claim their hypnotic powers are greater than Miss Cleo's

Phil as Trip, a giant hair follicle that dispenses blotter acid like candy and says teamwork is the road to God
tapshotta
Junior

Post#120 » by tapshotta » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:07 pm

CJackson wrote:
tapshotta wrote:
CJackson wrote:

El No Homo

Starring:

Dolan as Flatula, the fat priest with a ukelele

Noah as The Animal, a naked cowboy riding Moocow

Rose as Oozo, a deflated sex doll that thinks it is god

Jennings as Got This, the archer with no arms

Porzingis as The Tingis, a pale unicorn that must eat mother's home cooking to survive

Melo as Foodie, the digital athlete that will end all suffering but always has the runs because they didn't read the sign "don't drink the water"

Harthorne Wingo & Bill Pidto as The Couple, a pair of bickering stoners who claim their hypnotic powers are greater than Miss Cleo's

Phil as Trip, a giant hair follicle that dispenses blotter acid like candy and says teamwork is the road to God

Wow, that was actually pretty good off the cuff. Seriously.

You have talent as a writer. I always appreciate your insight, even when I don't agree.
hominy ad sugar

Return to New York Knicks