ImageImageImageImageImage

[Marc Berman] Interview w/ Willy Hernangomez

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Milk
Rookie
And1: 2,326

[Marc Berman] Interview w/ Willy Hernangomez 

Post#1 » by Milk » Thu Aug 4, 2016 8:30 am

Just a small interview Berman conducted with Willy.
Separated into different parts so that it'll be easier to read:

Phil Jackson
“When I met him, I was very excited because it’s Phil Jackson,” Hernangomez told The Post in a phone interview from Rio de Janeiro on Tuesday. “I talked to him, said hello, nice to meet you. He told me, ‘Willy, I love your game.’ I was like, I had no more words. My body was stopped. I feel the confidence from the team and Phil and the coach, too. They told me some good things, and I feel great.”

Pau Gasol & the Olympics
“Playing in the Olympics games, it’s a big opportunity to improve and play big games and with a player like Pau,” Hernangomez said. “Practicing with him, he teaches me a couple of things, shows me some moves, little things to play better in the NBA. It’s a big opportunity for me to play against him in practice. I learned more with him in one month than in one year [in Spain].”

New York City & wanting to earn his minutes
“I’m really excited,” said Hernangomez, who signed a three-year deal with an average salary of $1.4 million per year. “I feel like my dream has come true. It’s a big city. I can’t wait to see my new teammates. I think I have to work at a lot of things to be a good player. I want to continue my work. We will see, but I think I’m ready to play in the NBA.”
“I want to win my minutes,” Hernangomez said. “I think I have a big chance to play off the bench. I want to show them I can play, but I have to work from the first day. I want to show teammates and coaches I can play on the team right away.”

Kristaps Porzingis
“When I talked to Kristaps about the difference between the ACB and NBA, he told me the physical part is the biggest and the speed of the game,” Hernangomez said. “I try to work on my body and physical condition. I know I have to prove a lot of things — one of them is my physical ability.
“For me, it’s perfect playing with Kristaps again. It will be more easy feeling part of the team. He’ll help me for sure. With Kristaps, I can feel confident on the court.’’
“I know he works very, very hard this summer,” Hernangomez said. “He’s very competitive. He wants to do better than last season. I trust him. I know he can do much better than last season.”

Dad Melo
“I want to talk to Carmelo so he gets to know me,” Hernangomez said. “If he has a couple of minutes, it would be perfect for me.”

His game
“When I explain my game, I love playing the low post, love passing ball to my teammate,” Hernangomez said. “I am like a typical center playing in the post, maybe shooting from the free-throw line. I can play pick-and-roll. I think I can play triangle because in Spain and Europe, you play similar things, but I don’t know if this year we’ll play faster and move the ball faster.”

Full article: http://nypost.com/2016/08/03/how-phil-jackson-left-knicks-rookie-olympian-speechless/
Ville5
Sophomore
And1: 313

Re: [Marc Berman] Interview w/ Willy Hernangomez 

Post#2 » by Ville5 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 9:38 am

Thanks for posting this. Not that I doubted it before, but he does seem to have the right attitude, being competitive, eager to learn, but also confident in his ability. Hard to imagine he'd disappoint the fans with a bad season.
Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#3 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:19 pm

He hasn't spoken to Melo yet??? Aww snap, here comes another season of Melo hates our rooks campaign.

#DadnotdadMelo #Meloantirook #Willyorbillymakeupyourmind
Join me in welcoming in the new Era of our basketball team:

The New York Mediocrebockers!
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#4 » by BKlutch » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:27 pm

Anotha Knicks fan wrote:He hasn't spoken to Melo yet??? Aww snap, here comes another season of Melo hates our rooks campaign.

Don't worry too much about this. Willie has been playing with the Spanish team, so he wasn't in the US to be able to chat with Melo. I'm sure that they'll connect at the Olympics or shortly after, when WIllie moves to NY. Melo will help him the same way he helps KP. I'm sure also that KP will make sure his friend and former teammate (the guy he wanted the Knicks to sign) feels more than welcome and comfortable. He will make the introductions if needed.

If anybody starts to complain about Melo not being good with WIllie, refer them to me.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,034

Post#5 » by Capn'O » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:30 pm

Milk wrote:Pau Gasol & the Olympics
“Playing in the Olympics games, it’s a big opportunity to improve and play big games and with a player like Pau,” Hernangomez said. “Practicing with him, he teaches me a couple of things, shows me some moves, little things to play better in the NBA. It’s a big opportunity for me to play against him in practice. I learned more with him in one month than in one year [in Spain].”

That's quite the indictment of his coaches at RealMadrid :lol:

Pau would make a great coach. So damn smart/skilled and he seems like a good communicator. And by the time he hangs 'em up he'll have played under both Phil and Pop.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#6 » by HEZI » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:38 pm

I love this kid. Hopefully Noah does a lot of barking at him to get him mentally tough for the NBA.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#7 » by HEZI » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:41 pm

Capn'O wrote:

Pau would make a great coach. So damn smart/skilled and he seems like a good communicator. And by the time he hangs 'em up he'll have played under both Phil and Pop.

Don't forget Hubie Brown.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#8 » by Capn'O » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:48 pm

SMAC-K wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

I did :oops:
BAF Clippers

Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:49 pm

Capn'O wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

time to hang them up then. thanks for your time as mod, cap, but we've decided to move in a different direction.

Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:51 pm

Anotha Knicks fan wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:

time to hang them up then. thanks for your time as mod, cap, but we've decided to move in a different direction.

lol,
damn, you got fired twice.

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#11 » by Capn'O » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:52 pm

Anotha Knicks fan wrote:
Anotha Knicks fan wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

lol,
damn, you got fired twice.

I deleted it tho. Next I'm gonna do to you like KG did to The Computer :lol:
BAF Clippers

Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:55 pm

well... damn.

I'm taking my and 1's back.

CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#13 » by CJackson » Thu Aug 4, 2016 6:06 pm

Anotha Knicks fan wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:

Guy is barely broken in and he's already slipping. sheesh
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#14 » by Daaaarryyl » Thu Aug 4, 2016 7:05 pm

I forget, does Melo speak Spanish? (Assuming WH's English isn't great)

Even if Melo's Spanish is sort of "NYRican" with some street slang and maybe an English word mixed in (like my Spanish) it can be useful because both parties can adopt over a short period of time and communicate well.

I've worked with Spanish speaking-only co-workers from different countries and after awhile we communicate well.

Thought I saw a clip with Melo speaking (broken) Spanish but not too sure.
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
goldenbrandon
Senior
And1: 106

Post#15 » by goldenbrandon » Thu Aug 4, 2016 7:05 pm

I really like this kid. I think he could have a KP type of impact. Not the same player but a similar impact. O.T, he's better than what the Warriors have at center. Jermaine out of retirement Oneal and Javeeeeeellllll Shaqtin a fool McGee. This year will be fun. And I'm sure Melo will break bread with him in Rio
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#16 » by AmazingJason » Thu Aug 4, 2016 7:09 pm

Daaaarryyl wrote:I forget, does Melo speak Spanish? (Assuming WH's English isn't great)

Even if Melo's Spanish is sort of "NYRican" with some street slang and maybe an English word mixed in (like my Spanish) it can be useful because both parties can adopt over a short period of time and communicate well.

I've worked with Spanish speaking-only co-workers from different countries and after awhile we communicate well.

"Como estas?"

That's pretty much the extent of Melo's Spanish :D
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#17 » by AmazingJason » Thu Aug 4, 2016 7:12 pm

BKlutch wrote:
Anotha Knicks fan wrote:He hasn't spoken to Melo yet??? Aww snap, here comes another season of Melo hates our rooks campaign.

Don't worry too much about this. Willie has been playing with the Spanish team, so he wasn't in the US to be able to chat with Melo. I'm sure that they'll connect at the Olympics or shortly after, when WIllie moves to NY. Melo will help him the same way he helps KP. I'm sure also that KP will make sure his friend and former teammate (the guy he wanted the Knicks to sign) feels more than welcome and comfortable. He will make the introductions if needed.

If anybody starts to complain about Melo not being good with WIllie, refer them to me.

Willy's first text to Melo: "King Melo, dost thou have a few minutes to spare thee?"
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#18 » by ChilledAlex » Thu Aug 4, 2016 7:26 pm

Daaaarryyl wrote:I forget, does Melo speak Spanish? (Assuming WH's English isn't great)

Theres no way Willy doesn't speak english, its 21st century, he has played international ball and he said he had a meeting with PJ
Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Thu Aug 4, 2016 7:40 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

Willy's first text to Melo: "King Melo, dost thou have a few minutes to spare thee?"

To which Melo responds:
"This is Me7o"

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#20 » by BKlutch » Thu Aug 4, 2016 7:40 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

Melo's press secretary will tweet out a response tonight, in Spanish, English, and Latvian (just so KP can share back home).

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Return to New York Knicks