ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Carmelo Still Overpaid?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Re: Is Carmelo Still Overpaid? 

Post#141 » by Rotten Apple » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:12 pm

GONYK wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:I don't know why people act like players can't play for one team in one state and still have their main residence in another state. No issue there. Also, when arguing against Melo's playoff resume, where does coaching factor in? Was Woodson, D'antoni, Fisher or Rambis better than Dirk's coach Rick Carlisle? I would say no. Basketball is a team sport unless you're Carmelo Anthony it seems.

Forget coach. Where do teammates factor in?

He should make his teammates better remember
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#142 » by ny-n-md » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:14 pm

The Melo hate is real
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#143 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:51 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
GONYK wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:I don't know why people act like players can't play for one team in one state and still have their main residence in another state. No issue there. Also, when arguing against Melo's playoff resume, where does coaching factor in? Was Woodson, D'antoni, Fisher or Rambis better than Dirk's coach Rick Carlisle? I would say no. Basketball is a team sport unless you're Carmelo Anthony it seems.

The whole make players better argument is such a farce unless your role is a pg. It's a fake, intangible distinction. Show me a player who makes others better and Ill show you a player with others around him that would've been awesome anyway. Im not saying there isn't such thing as chemistry but nobody actually turns another player into a different type of player......save for PGs where you can say "look, X player couldn't create his shot but because of Y PG he was able to earn assisted baskets."

That's making others better. Big men who rely on pgs to set them up, yeah those pgs make them better. But all these players who supposedly make others better

Jordan- yo, come watch me drop 40 and Ill carry you on my back
Kobe- come watch me drop 40 and Ill carry you on my back

The only player I believe truly makes anybody better who isn't a pg is Lebron. There are guys who literaly should not be in the nba but cause they play with Lebron he literaly generates points for them. Everybody else who wins is just good players, who have the luxury of playing with other good players.

Name me a star who plays on a team of bums and routinely wins.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#144 » by Kampuchea » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:19 pm

I will name 2 - Cousins and Anthony Davis.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#145 » by Sark » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Well he's got a good team this year, right? No excuses?
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#146 » by Kampuchea » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:51 pm

Sark wrote:Well he's got a good team this year, right? No excuses?

As long as the big 4 all play 70 games we got this.
Johnstarks
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#147 » by Johnstarks » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:41 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
GONYK wrote:

The whole make players better argument is such a farce unless your role is a pg. It's a fake, intangible distinction. Show me a player who makes others better and Ill show you a player with others around him that would've been awesome anyway. Im not saying there isn't such thing as chemistry but nobody actually turns another player into a different type of player......save for PGs where you can say "look, X player couldn't create his shot but because of Y PG he was able to earn assisted baskets."

That's making others better. Big men who rely on pgs to set them up, yeah those pgs make them better. But all these players who supposedly make others better

The only player I believe truly makes anybody better who isn't a pg is Lebron. There are guys who literaly should not be in the nba but cause they play with Lebron he literaly generates points for them. Everybody else who wins is just good players, who have the luxury of playing with other good players.

I don't disagree with some of your sentiments but James harden is a guy who plays with mostly bums and wins games.

Roberson had wide open 3s due to everyone loading up on durant.

Iggy had wide open 3s in the finals due to trapping schemes two years ago...

DeAndre jordan, drummond, and chandler create spacing with their dives

Kyle Korner two years ago opened up all kinds of shots for demurre carroll...

Jared dudpey, marvin willkams, and Harrison Barnes open up the court for their pgs...

Bogut is a terrific screener

Plenty of examples of how guys help others thrive offensively
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#148 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:12 pm

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#149 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:15 pm

Johnstarks wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:

I don't disagree with some of your sentiments but James harden is a guy who plays with mostly bums and wins games.

Roberson had wide open 3s due to everyone loading up on durant.

Iggy had wide open 3s in the finals due to trapping schemes two years ago...

DeAndre jordan, drummond, and chandler create spacing with their dives

Kyle Korner two years ago opened up all kinds of shots for demurre carroll...

Jared dudpey, marvin willkams, and Harrison Barnes open up the court for their pgs...

Bogut is a terrific screener

Plenty of examples of how guys help others thrive offensively

So then answer me this. When the knocks won 54 games or the previous 9 seasons when Melo actually held the distinction of never missing the playoffs......was he making players any better than what he was now.

Option A- you'll have to admit he was making others better or at least more so than now
Option B- he wasn't ever making anyone better, it just so happened his teammates were better.

I would go as far as to say his behaviors last year were more condusive to winning and making others better than ever before but since his raw individual scoring output was reduced it did not matter, combine that with the fact his team sucked and that was the answer. Id love to see a day when we were trying to prove this point whilst watching him play with another allstar. Is be happy with two near all stars. But its damn hard when your second best player was Aaron Afflalo and it might prove to be with Rose and Noah in business suits on the bench
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#150 » by Sark » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:36 pm

KP was the second option, and will be again next year.
Johnstarks
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#151 » by Johnstarks » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:40 pm

Teams definitely loaded up against Carmelo and it frees up looks for other guys.. the issue is that Carmelo isn't the best at taking advantage of that as evidenced by his 2.9 ast/36 min and barely positive ast/to ratio in a year where he literally was a lights out perimeter shooter (54 win season)

His Ballstopping also prevented the knicks from creating as many easy baskets.

When Carmelo is at the 4 and playing the dual role of facilitator/scorer he absolutely makes other players better. But heven hasn't consistently demonstrated the willingness to play the 4 and he absolutely has not fully embraced the facilitator role in the past. He was also credited with far too much of his teams success in denver. Those teams were pretty loaded and they were basically first round fodder every year.

If anything, Melo is still probably overrated by the casual fan. He's just not nearly as overrated as he was during his prime, you could make a good argument he was at one time the most overrated player in the league. We will see how he does this year with a team full of competent offensive players. Either he and Rose will take this opportunity to show they can break down defenses and lead an efficient offense, or theyll fight over who gets to take the most shots.

Either way, the bottom line is that at this stage of his career he should be utilized as a catch & shoot guy who moves well without the ball at the 3 and a playmaker at the 4. He's a great off the ball cutter so he and noah could develop into a nice connection if noah can stay on the court.

Melo, Lee, and porzingis provides the knicks with nice spacing and noah is adept at passing. If rose plays like he did post ASB he has the ability to breakdown defenses. He just needs to start using his head to make up for his decline in athleticism. There's no reason a guy like Andre miller can still rack up assists at age 40 but rose can't at age 26 with a few knee injuries. He just needs to pick his spots and stop shooting so freaking much. Having a bailout option like Carmelo is exactly what rose needs to revive his sputtering career. Let's see if they are committed to making it work though.

Carmelo is better off the ball than on it. And rose is completely ineffective off the ball. So if they have any hope on this working out Melo is going to have to accept a role similar to the one he plays internationally
MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#152 » by MrProb » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:27 am

Oh god, this fcuking argument AGAIN ?

Melo must be a serial killer before he was born as this life Melo because there seems to be a lot of haters following him around.

Gotta love ppl claming the Nuggets team were loaded I doubt anyone of you have watched more than 5 games a season back then, I have been following him since draft night, watched many games a season and those players rarely showed up in playoffs when he needed them, first few years were fking ridiculous because he dragged a D-League team to playoffs every year when they were supposed to be a bottom feeder, took them a few years to actually put some decent players around Melo, Camby was good defensively but he loves his bench and terrible offensively, K-Mart was decent but he loves fking things up in playoff games, Nene was Nene, nothing amazing just a decent player on both end, best teammate was Billups, he took a huge load off Melo and seems to be the one who taught Melo to be a better FT shooters.

IDK why the fk am I saying this same old **** again, this stupid argument seems to come up every time Melo is mentioned. He's far from perfect player but you guys are trying so hard for him to be, I'd suggest you guys should start following LeBron around to satisfy yourself but I bet when he's not surrounded with talents, you would start the blame game again.

Return to New York Knicks