ImageImageImageImageImage

Official New York Rangers Thread

Moderators: moocow007, Knickstape1214, Capn'O, magnumt, Deeeez Knicks, Thorn, GONYK, NoLayupRule, Thugger HBC, j4remi, mrpoetryNmotion, King of Canada

User avatar
The_Special_One
Rookie
Posts: 1,167
And1: 1,431
Joined: Jul 23, 2012
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#101 » by The_Special_One » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:32 pm

We absolutely need that win in the Garden.

In other news, I'm shocked that Nashville swept the Blackhawks.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,078
And1: 2,912
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#102 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Unlike the NBA, the NHL seedings mean Nothing! :lol:

I don't think I was THAT surprised that Nashville beat Chicago. When the Rangers played the Predators at the Garden, Nashville raced out to a 2-0 lead before the Rangers came back and won. I attended that game. They're big and fast. Anytime PK Subban is lurking around, that team is trouble.

Oilers are on the verge of 86-ing the Sharks.

Toronto is giving Washington a hard time.
User avatar
Kampuchea
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,992
And1: 367
Joined: Oct 20, 2010
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
         

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#103 » by Kampuchea » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:09 pm

The owner of the Rangers seems to always sign the right players.
User avatar
Jim Dolan
Starter
Posts: 2,189
And1: 336
Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Location: Queens

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#104 » by Jim Dolan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:43 pm

thank god for the Rangers because theres nothing going on in NY sports
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,078
And1: 2,912
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#105 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Kampuchea wrote:The owner of the Rangers seems to always sign the right players.


First off, there's no way ANY of the antics in the NBA would be tolerated in the NHL. The NBA is a bunch of snot-nosed kids compared to the maturity of the NHL. No stories of guys running away from sleeping with another player's ex-wife.

James Dolan is way more thrifty with the NY Rangers.

Think only when John Tortorella was coaching, did the Rangers go out and sign his Tampa Bay guys like Brad Richards, Boyle, and trade for St. Louis.

This present team was supposed to be a rebuilding year, bringing up the kids....

LW Jimmy Vesey, D Brady Skjei are a 23 yr old call ups along with C JT Miller (24 yrs). Buchnevich is a 21 year old from the KHL. Jesper Fast is a 25 year old signed from Sweden.

Puempel, Clendening are guys that other teams didn't sign from their minor leagues.

Teams gave up on Grabner who was tied for the team league on goals.

The New York Rangers are mostly a lunch pail team. Not a team like the Pittsburgh Pens, overloaded with superstars.
User avatar
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,446
And1: 1,794
Joined: Jul 01, 2010
Location: Gotham
         

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#106 » by N8isScofield » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:26 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:The owner of the Rangers seems to always sign the right players.


First off, there's no way ANY of the antics in the NBA would be tolerated in the NHL. The NBA is a bunch of snot-nosed kids compared to the maturity of the NHL. No stories of guys running away from sleeping with another player's ex-wife.

James Dolan is way more thrifty with the NY Rangers.

Think only when John Tortorella was coaching, did the Rangers go out and sign his Tampa Bay guys like Brad Richards, Boyle, and trade for St. Louis.

This present team was supposed to be a rebuilding year, bringing up the kids....

LW Jimmy Vesey, D Brady Skjei are a 23 yr old call ups along with C JT Miller (24 yrs). Buchnevich is a 21 year old from the KHL. Jesper Fast is a 25 year old signed from Sweden.

Puempel, Clendening are guys that other teams didn't sign from their minor leagues.

Teams gave up on Grabner who was tied for the team league on goals.

The New York Rangers are mostly a lunch pail team. Not a team like the Pittsburgh Pens, overloaded with superstars.

He's not thrifty at all. The NHL has a low salary cap to promote parity so that you can't keep a stacked team together forever. Dolan was tossing money around like he does with the Knicks before the aftermath of 04-05 lockout brought spending down. He's way less involved with the Rangers than he was with the Knicks but the spending has everything to do with the salary cap and nothing to do with his willingness. The team is a lunchpail team because it's been a fringe contender for 4-5 years and has traded away most of its draft picks going all in leading to an absence of premium young talent. It also is paying way more for a goaltender than it should be. That's all on Sather rather than anything to do with Dolan. You need elite young talent on 1st or 2nd contracts to be able to really give yourself a decent window where you can realistically contend and we're unfortunately years away from that.
#JanisGang
User avatar
EchelonNYK
RealGM
Posts: 18,086
And1: 3,877
Joined: Jul 14, 2004
Location: Canarsie (Reppin' 90's)
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#107 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:35 pm

My wife is more into hockey than i am, and she's a Penguins fan. But i hope to god they don't meet them in the playoffs. I will never hear the end of it :lol:.
Image
Sig by me

Follow me on Twitter (I follow back) @EchelonNYK
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,078
And1: 2,912
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#108 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:58 pm

N8isScofield wrote:He's not thrifty at all. The NHL has a low salary cap to promote parity so that you can't keep a stacked team together forever. Dolan was tossing money around like he does with the Knicks before the aftermath of 04-05 lockout brought spending down. He's way less involved with the Rangers than he was with the Knicks but the spending has everything to do with the salary cap and nothing to do with his willingness. The team is a lunchpail team because it's been a fringe contender for 4-5 years and has traded away most of its draft picks going all in leading to an absence of premium young talent. It also is paying way more for a goaltender than it should be. That's all on Sather rather than anything to do with Dolan. You need elite young talent on 1st or 2nd contracts to be able to really give yourself a decent window where you can realistically contend and we're unfortunately years away from that.


Respectfully disagree.

Rangers had a great opportunity to land Shattenkirk and revamp their defense (paging Kevin Klein anyone?). Instead the Rangers' archnemesis, the Capitals trade for him with a second rounder. Why? They know they'll have to sign him to good coin or lose him like they did Keith Yandle.

Instead the Rangers trade for Brendan Smith giving up a second 2018 plus third rounder 2017, and a free agent at the end of the season. Serviceable. Not exactly the second coming of Nik Lidstrom. :crazy:
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 13,617
And1: 6,689
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: Frankatron Tankadelic

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#109 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 pm

N8isScofield wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:The owner of the Rangers seems to always sign the right players.


First off, there's no way ANY of the antics in the NBA would be tolerated in the NHL. The NBA is a bunch of snot-nosed kids compared to the maturity of the NHL. No stories of guys running away from sleeping with another player's ex-wife.

James Dolan is way more thrifty with the NY Rangers.

Think only when John Tortorella was coaching, did the Rangers go out and sign his Tampa Bay guys like Brad Richards, Boyle, and trade for St. Louis.

This present team was supposed to be a rebuilding year, bringing up the kids....

LW Jimmy Vesey, D Brady Skjei are a 23 yr old call ups along with C JT Miller (24 yrs). Buchnevich is a 21 year old from the KHL. Jesper Fast is a 25 year old signed from Sweden.

Puempel, Clendening are guys that other teams didn't sign from their minor leagues.

Teams gave up on Grabner who was tied for the team league on goals.

The New York Rangers are mostly a lunch pail team. Not a team like the Pittsburgh Pens, overloaded with superstars.

He's not thrifty at all. The NHL has a low salary cap to promote parity so that you can't keep a stacked team together forever. Dolan was tossing money around like he does with the Knicks before the aftermath of 04-05 lockout brought spending down. He's way less involved with the Rangers than he was with the Knicks but the spending has everything to do with the salary cap and nothing to do with his willingness. The team is a lunchpail team because it's been a fringe contender for 4-5 years and has traded away most of its draft picks going all in leading to an absence of premium young talent. It also is paying way more for a goaltender than it should be. That's all on Sather rather than anything to do with Dolan. You need elite young talent on 1st or 2nd contracts to be able to really give yourself a decent window where you can realistically contend and we're unfortunately years away from that.


Let me bang my drum some more.

I wish the NBA would go no cap like MLB or hard cap like the NHL so I could watch some real competitive sports
Phil, Melo, Rose and Noah Suck
User avatar
BadNewsBarnes
Starter
Posts: 2,082
And1: 711
Joined: Feb 03, 2012
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#110 » by BadNewsBarnes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Image
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
User avatar
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,446
And1: 1,794
Joined: Jul 01, 2010
Location: Gotham
         

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#111 » by N8isScofield » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:07 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:He's not thrifty at all. The NHL has a low salary cap to promote parity so that you can't keep a stacked team together forever. Dolan was tossing money around like he does with the Knicks before the aftermath of 04-05 lockout brought spending down. He's way less involved with the Rangers than he was with the Knicks but the spending has everything to do with the salary cap and nothing to do with his willingness. The team is a lunchpail team because it's been a fringe contender for 4-5 years and has traded away most of its draft picks going all in leading to an absence of premium young talent. It also is paying way more for a goaltender than it should be. That's all on Sather rather than anything to do with Dolan. You need elite young talent on 1st or 2nd contracts to be able to really give yourself a decent window where you can realistically contend and we're unfortunately years away from that.


Respectfully disagree.

Rangers had a great opportunity to land Shattenkirk and revamp their defense (paging Kevin Klein anyone?). Instead the Rangers' archnemesis, the Capitals trade for him with a second rounder. Why? They know they'll have to sign him to good coin or lose him like they did Keith Yandle.

Instead the Rangers trade for Brendan Smith giving up a second 2018 plus third rounder 2017, and a free agent at the end of the season. Serviceable. Not exactly the second coming of Nik Lidstrom. :crazy:

What part of salary cap is unclear to you? The team is full of young players at least one of which is due for a considerable raise pretty much every year for the foreseeable future. They did what they felt that had to do. Whether that's right or wrong is on management. Your argument that Dolan is thrifty literally has ZERO merit because they spend pretty much right up the cap most years and it's a hard cap. The reason they haven't done that this season is because they have a bunch of young players who are going to be due raises in the next couple of years and you want to retain flexibility so you can go after a Shattenkirk in free agency. The Smith trade has nothing to do with Dolan and everything to do with missing out on Shatty thinking that they'd rather wait to hear his asking price in free agency and then being forced to make a move after he was traded because they were ravaged by injury and had to do something. You can argue how management handled that. You cannot blame that on Dolan's perceived lack of spending because thats nonsense. Nobody can go hog wild spending with a hard cap in place. The idea that Dolan is somehow cheap when we're paying the goalie 9 million dollars a year is ridiculous. Contracts have to fit under the cap period. Signing 28 year old players to long deals and big money is how you end up with someone like Rick Nash underachieving for you. So if we don't sign players like Shattenkirk that's not really being cheap so much as being prudent with finances that are limited by the cap.
#JanisGang
User avatar
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 35,031
And1: 2,932
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Location: A Man's Gotta Have a Code.

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#112 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:26 pm

You can also do things in hockey that you can't in basketball, sign opposing teams draft picks after a couple of years. Being able to land a Vesey and Hayes was crucial for us. To be able to sign colleges most outstanding player because he didn't sign with his original team or the team they traded him to is outrageous, but hey it worked out for us.

I really hope that we leave Staal unprotected in the expansion draft, really can't stand him.
Image
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,078
And1: 2,912
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#113 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:32 am

And now, we turn our attention to the only team at MSG that ACTUALLY makes the playoffs...8:57 left in the third, Rangers lead 2-1 and successfully killed off a bad penalty by Kreider (high sticking).


Let's GO RANGERS!!!!!
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,078
And1: 2,912
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#114 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:56 am

Rangers win 3-1! Defeating the Habs 4 games to 2. Advance to face the winner of Boston/Ottawa.

I love it. Hockey is a man's sport.
User avatar
CrazyKnicks
General Manager
Posts: 8,244
And1: 1,163
Joined: Aug 04, 2009

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#115 » by CrazyKnicks » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:05 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers win 3-1! Defeating the Habs 4 games to 2. Advance to face the winner of Boston/Ottawa.

I love it. Hockey is a man's sport.

NBA has the worst playoffs compared to MLB, NFL and NHL. Other 3 are unpredictable but not so much in the NBA.

Not a hockey person but watched the 3rd period of this game and it was exciting. :D
Kristaps Porzingis is the next Andrea Bargnani, calling it now.
User avatar
Huskies1947
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,806
And1: 377
Joined: Apr 28, 2006
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#116 » by Huskies1947 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:04 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:And now, we turn our attention to the only team at MSG that ACTUALLY makes the playoffs...8:57 left in the third, Rangers lead 2-1 and successfully killed off a bad penalty by Kreider (high sticking).


Let's GO RANGERS!!!!!


This guy is my hero! :lol:
Image
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,078
And1: 2,912
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#117 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:15 am

Usually the Rangers have a way of making a series longer than it has to be. During their last Stanley Cup run they went three consecutive game 7 series before falling to the Kings in the Finals.

Question, who do the Rangers want? Bruins or Senators?

I fear the Senators. Not only a good team but Brassard would be highly motivated.

In other news, I wonder if the Leafs will upend the Caps? If not, its Caps vs Pens. Oh my!
User avatar
isiah_thomas
Veteran
Posts: 2,855
And1: 647
Joined: Mar 31, 2012

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#118 » by isiah_thomas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:21 am

CrazyKnicks wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers win 3-1! Defeating the Habs 4 games to 2. Advance to face the winner of Boston/Ottawa.

I love it. Hockey is a man's sport.

NBA has the worst playoffs compared to MLB, NFL and NHL. Other 3 are unpredictable but not so much in the NBA.

Not a hockey person but watched the 3rd period of this game and it was exciting. :D

Patriots are basically a lock to make the Superbowl not sure how It isn't predicable. Starts have the most impact in basketball just how the game has always been
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,078
And1: 2,912
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#119 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:32 am

Nashville whupped Chicago because the Preds are a playoff designed team. I was in attendance when they were at the Garden. PK Subban and the boys raced out 2-0 lead in the first period before Rangers came back and won. Their goaltending is suspect but they're big, Fast. Lethal combo. Just not deep.

The Rangers are finally 4 lines deep.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,078
And1: 2,912
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#120 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:52 pm



Total # of Hits per game...

Game 1: 96

Game 2: 129

Game 3: 72

Game 4: 68

Game 5: 100

Game 6: 66.

Talk about old time hockey, there were more hits in this series than 9 seasons of Night Court with Dan Fielding (John Laroquette) inappropriately "hitting on" Christine Sullivan (Markie Post).

Return to New York Knicks