ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks not ruling out DRose extension later in the season

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,813

Re: Knicks not ruling out DRose extension later in the season 

Post#1321 » by Adelheid » Mon Jan 9, 2017 7:22 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
yeah. i've seen enough rose. he is not what we need in that role. i don't think he's done or useless, but he only gives us one component of the lead guard we need. he can penetrate. pause.

but the passing and defense... i mean... not even close. this guy can walk into 4 assists without trying on the strength of his kickouts. but if he were a real distributor, he should be able to rack up twice as many dimes with this group.

People get on Melo about passing...
Rose is whole different level

i don't want to make this about melo, or melo vs., but i agree that melo seems to look for the pass much more than rose does. he looks like he could actually be a good facilitator forward with this group.

dad melo time, baby. stretch the floor. post up on iso when we need it. feed the children when defenses collapse. basketball is really a simple game when you don't overthink things.

The starting 5 doesnt move well without the ball in their hands. Bunch of low motor guys. Its easy to defend guys like these coz they are like statues on offense just waiting for the pass and they hardly ever cut/backdoor. Melo can facilitate once he gets the ball, but he ends up shooting it because no one is moving worth a lick.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#1322 » by King of Canada » Mon Jan 9, 2017 7:24 pm

Adelheid wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Greenie wrote:People get on Melo about passing...

i don't want to make this about melo, or melo vs., but i agree that melo seems to look for the pass much more than rose does. he looks like he could actually be a good facilitator forward with this group.

dad melo time, baby. stretch the floor. post up on iso when we need it. feed the children when defenses collapse. basketball is really a simple game when you don't overthink things.

The starting 5 doesnt move well without the ball in their hands. Bunch of low motor guys. Its easy to defend guys like these coz they are like statues on offense just waiting for the pass and they hardly ever cut/backdoor.

I really want to see KP adopt that cut through the key that Giannis does a hundred times a game.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,001

Post#1323 » by Capn'O » Mon Jan 9, 2017 7:29 pm

King of Canada wrote:
Capn'O wrote:As the season wears on, I'm becoming more and more sure that Rose is the guy we need in the drivers' seat.

Spoiler:

Is that supposed to be crashing into those mountains? :lol:

Yeah - TBH, I couldn't find a great picture that was clearly inside of a tank.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#1324 » by camillepd » Mon Jan 9, 2017 7:29 pm

We are going to have to make a trade for a real PG and soon. PHIL now realizes that Rose is not real PG and he won't be brought back. We are also unlikely to get a high enough draft position to draft one of the stud PGs coming out of the draft. Phil knows he will have to make a trade for a real PG and soon.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#1325 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 7:34 pm

Adelheid wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Greenie wrote:People get on Melo about passing...

The starting 5 doesnt move well without the ball in their hands. Bunch of low motor guys. Its easy to defend guys like these coz they are like statues on offense just waiting for the pass and they hardly ever cut/backdoor. Melo can facilitate once he gets the ball, but he ends up shooting it because no one is moving worth a lick.

Which is why Holiday should be starting and Noah should sit the bench. You could spam DRose/Melo and KP p&r's all day long with Lee spacing the floor and Holiday cutting backdoor but, nah we'd rather see LT stand in a corner and do nothing or Noah cramp the spacing since he never gets the ball enough to show off his passing because Rose, Melo, and KP use a ton of our possessions. :noway:
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,813

Post#1326 » by Adelheid » Mon Jan 9, 2017 7:36 pm

camillepd wrote:We are going to have to make a trade for a real PG and soon. PHIL now realizes that Rose is not real PG and he won't be brought back. We are also unlikely to get a high enough draft position to draft one of the stud PGs coming out of the draft. Phil knows he will have to make a trade for a real PG and soon.

De' Aaron Fox is obtainable already. Dennis Smith jr and Frank Ntilikina -- I dont think they are a pipe dream from where we stand but it would require a brutal schedule.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#1327 » by NYKAL » Mon Jan 9, 2017 7:41 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Adelheid wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Which is why Holiday should be starting and Noah should sit the bench. You could spam DRose/Melo and KP p&r's all day long with Lee spacing the floor and Holiday cutting backdoor but, nah we'd rather see LT stand in a corner and do nothing or Noah cramp the spacing since he never gets the ball enough to show off his passing because Rose, Melo, and KP use a ton of our possessions. :noway:

Holiday is like THE ONLY guy on the team that moves and cuts. Can't say how many times has the ball gone to Melo or even KP and EVERYONE goes to a spot and just stands there. Pissses me off, you should NEVER just stand still without the ball. You don't have to be Reggie Miller out there but, you can't be a damned statue. LT is FAMOUS for it. So is Lee to an extant.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,955

Post#1328 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Jan 9, 2017 7:55 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Adelheid wrote:

Holiday is like THE ONLY guy on the team that moves and cuts. Can't say how many times has the ball gone to Melo or even KP and EVERYONE goes to a spot and just stands there. Pissses me off, you should NEVER just stand still without the ball. You don't have to be Reggie Miller out there but, you can't be a damned statue. LT is FAMOUS for it. So is Lee to an extant.

i think you want lance waiting in the corner for spacing. lee is capable of slashing though, so we would do well if he were more aggressive. sounds like he's been told as much.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#1329 » by earthmansurfer » Mon Jan 9, 2017 8:55 pm

camillepd wrote:We are going to have to make a trade for a real PG and soon. PHIL now realizes that Rose is not real PG and he won't be brought back. We are also unlikely to get a high enough draft position to draft one of the stud PGs coming out of the draft. Phil knows he will have to make a trade for a real PG and soon.

Haven't been following this all that close, but is the consensus that we don't want Rose back? (hopefully)
If he played defense I'd put him at SG, but he is not doing the job for us.

We should cut our losses here. Would a team looking to dump salary take him? Maybe we can actually upgrade somewhere?
nytonm
Pro Prospect
And1: 304

Post#1330 » by nytonm » Mon Jan 9, 2017 9:04 pm

This cannot happen. Rose has to go after this season.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#1331 » by Greenie » Mon Jan 9, 2017 9:15 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
yeah. i've seen enough rose. he is not what we need in that role. i don't think he's done or useless, but he only gives us one component of the lead guard we need. he can penetrate. pause.

but the passing and defense... i mean... not even close. this guy can walk into 4 assists without trying on the strength of his kickouts. but if he were a real distributor, he should be able to rack up twice as many dimes with this group.

People get on Melo about passing...

Didn't mean to make it that.
I was just thinking about that randomly.
Dude don't pass...at all :lol:
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#1332 » by dakomish23 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 9:42 pm

Capn'O wrote:
King of Canada wrote:
Capn'O wrote:As the season wears on, I'm becoming more and more sure that Rose is the guy we need in the drivers' seat.

Spoiler:

Is that supposed to be crashing into those mountains? :lol:

Yeah - TBH, I couldn't find a great picture that was clearly inside of a tank.

Best one I could find. From the scene below

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#1333 » by dakomish23 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 9:47 pm

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2684128-nba-player-power-rankings-brs-top-30-point-guards-at-the-halfway-point/page/31

Bleacher report top 30 PG rankings

DRose #26
Jennings not on the list
Neither is Ole Failderon

26. Derrick Rose, New York Knicks

2016-17 Per-Game Stats: 17.3 points, 3.9 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.4 blocks

Advanced Metrics: 15.7 PER, Minus-55.55 TPA, Minus-2.21 RPM

Even though Derrick Rose is capable of putting together sterling offensive showings and throwing down massive slams, he hasn't come close to achieving consistency with the New York Knicks.

His impressive outings, which remind viewers of his pre-injury achievements, and his putrid games cancel each other out, leaving Rose as an average offensive player who admittedly carries upside. He'll only regain stardom—in terms of on-court ability, not off-court hype—if he can start knocking down threes at better than a 24.5 percent clip.

Of course, Rose could also help his case on defense.

His production will continue to lag well behind his reputation so long as he remains one of the league's worst stoppers. NBA Math's defensive points saved has him as one of the NBA's bottom 30 defenders, and ESPN.com's defensive real plus/minus places him at No. 69 among 84 point guards.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#1334 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 9:48 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:

Haven't been following this all that close, but is the consensus that we don't want Rose back? (hopefully)

We should cut our losses here. Would a team looking to dump salary take him? Maybe we can actually upgrade somewhere?

I wouldn't mind bringing Rose back if we had the flexibility to use him in like a Monta Ellis/JCraw role as a secondary ball handler/guy who fills it up when he gets going but, we likely won't have the flexibility to use him in that role because of the Noah and Lee contracts unless somebody bites on Noah in a trade.
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#1335 » by CJackson » Mon Jan 9, 2017 9:58 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

I wouldn't mind bringing Rose back if we had the flexibility to use him in like a Monta Ellis/JCraw role as a secondary ball handler/guy who fills it up when he gets going but, we likely won't have the flexibility to use him in that role because of the Noah and Lee contracts unless somebody bites on Noah in a trade.

When is this team going to say enough with guys who have few fundamental TEAM basketball skills?

Having a handle and getting into the paint are Rose's skills

Rose has NO team basketball skills to speak of

Pairing a dumb player in the backcourt with another PG doesn't make Rose better.

Sliding Rose over to SG or sixth man will not change their tendencies. He will still want to do the same thing with the ball whether you call him a PG, a SG, a Sixth Man or The Little Train That Could
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#1336 » by sushibear » Mon Jan 9, 2017 10:00 pm

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,384

Post#1337 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Jan 9, 2017 10:11 pm

dakomish23 wrote:http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2684128-nba-player-power-rankings-brs-top-30-point-guards-at-the-halfway-point/page/31

DRose #26
Jennings not on the list
Neither is Ole Failderon

2016-17 Per-Game Stats: 17.3 points, 3.9 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.4 blocks

Even though Derrick Rose is capable of putting together sterling offensive showings and throwing down massive slams, he hasn't come close to achieving consistency with the New York Knicks.

His impressive outings, which remind viewers of his pre-injury achievements, and his putrid games cancel each other out, leaving Rose as an average offensive player who admittedly carries upside. He'll only regain stardom—in terms of on-court ability, not off-court hype—if he can start knocking down threes at better than a 24.5 percent clip.

His production will continue to lag well behind his reputation so long as he remains one of the league's worst stoppers. NBA Math's defensive points saved has him as one of the NBA's bottom 30 defenders, and ESPN.com's defensive real plus/minus places him at No. 69 among 84 point guards.

fk rose he a shooting guard -_-
ever since that atlanta game he went back to his old self like wtf he was doin so good i was even ready to give him that extension
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#1338 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 10:29 pm

CJackson wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

When is this team going to say enough with guys who have few fundamental TEAM basketball skills?

Pairing a dumb player in the backcourt with another PG doesn't make Rose better.

Sliding Rose over to SG or sixth man will not change their tendencies. He will still want to do the same thing with the ball whether you call him a PG, a SG, a Sixth Man or The Little Train That Could

It doesn't make him better but, it puts less burden on someone to do things they can't. Nobody is a perfect player. Every team tries to accentuate their best player's strengths and hide their weaknesses. LeBron isn't a consistent shooter and can't be depended on to be the only source of ball handling in crunch time moments. So the Cavs put shooters around him and have Kyrie to handle the ball in critical moments as well. Steph Curry isn't the greatest playmaker or defender so, the Warriors surround him with hard nosed defensive guys and great passers for their positions. Rose in the right role with less of a dependence on him would be very effective. Things have context.... Rose isn't a bad player. I think the eye test kind of confirms that but, I think he's just being relied on to do something that he can't do effectively which is be the main distributor and playmaker for an offense.
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#1339 » by CJackson » Mon Jan 9, 2017 10:35 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
CJackson wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

It doesn't make him better but, it puts less burden on someone to do things they can't. Nobody is a perfect player. Every team tries to accentuate their best player's strengths and hide their weaknesses. LeBron isn't a consistent shooter and can't be depended on to be the only source of ball handling in crunch time moments. So the Cavs put shooters around him and have Kyrie to handle the ball in critical moments as well. Steph Curry isn't the greatest playmaker or defender so, the Warriors surround him with hard nosed defensive guys and great passers for their positions. Rose in the right role with less of a dependence on him would be very effective. Things have context.... Rose isn't a bad player. I think the eye test kind of confirms that but, I think he's just being relied on to do something that he can't do effectively which is be the main distributor and playmaker for an offense.

Yes, Rose is a bad player overall because contrary to the argument you're making Rose is not going to bring ancillary value as a SG in a way he does not as the supposed PG.

He will be the same player regardless whose usage requirements will conflict with a true PG's ball dominance.

He will always try to get his 15-20 shots per game as long as he is a starter. And his shot selection is not going to improve because there is another PG on the floor.

Rose is a one-man gang

He does not play within a team concept

The only right role for Rose is a sixth man whom a good coach can bitch slap when he gets sloppy and sit down.

Rose is not close to a quality NBA starter at this point.

P.S. Curry is a freaking Nobel Laureate compared to Rose. Sorry, that is a terrible comparison
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,085

Post#1340 » by blueNorange » Mon Jan 9, 2017 10:42 pm

dakomish23 wrote:http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2684128-nba-player-power-rankings-brs-top-30-point-guards-at-the-halfway-point/page/31

DRose #26
Jennings not on the list
Neither is Ole Failderon

it's a shame a certain bandwagon fan disappeared, it would've been cool if he read this tidbit about derrick rose.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.

Return to New York Knicks