ImageImageImageImageImage

Star Wars Episode VIII - SPOILERS

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Re: OT: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi 

Post#81 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:18 pm

Oscirus wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
If that's the case didn't why doesn't Finn have a similar accent to his boss, since we can pretty much assume that she's been an authority figure of his for most of his life?

Thats his boss, not parent. We are talking about Rey formative years were with a Brit accent character on a father and daughter level. Im not saying she HAS to be Luke daughter, but her accent is not something can negate that either.

Given Finn's upbringing, wouldn't Phasma qualify as a parental figure?

Im just going to leave this here.

Plus, there’s another very good reason to place Rey on the next limb of the Skywalker family tree. Asked to compare A Star Wars Story movies like Rogue One to ongoing “Saga” entries like Star Wars: Episode VIII, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said, "The Saga films focus on the Skywalker family saga… the stories follow a linear narrative that connects to the previous six films. The Force Awakens follows Return of the Jedi and continues that generational story.”
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#82 » by Marty McFly » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:21 pm

Oscirus wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
1. No it's not. It's absurd to ignore the fact that her accent coud be a hint to who or where she comes from.
2. He didn't go back to doing what he did until Ben turned to the dark side. Rey would've been born by then.
3. They were the main family in the first two trilogies. Even if Rey isn't a skywalker, Kylo is, she doesn't have to be.

1. she's been on jakku since she was what, 5? who speaks with an english accent on jakku? unkar plutt, lor san tekka, sorta does as well. hey, maybe they got it on and made baby rey since they speak in that accent as well.
2. ben was with his uncle. han most definitely not being a stay at home husband while leia was off doing republic ****.
3. the entire 9 film saga is about the skywalkers. that's not up for debate. that's what george outlined. and she doesn't have to be, than the mystery of her parentage is pointless.

1. Plenty of people on Jakku would speak with an english accent, it's an outpost. People come and go through there. Oh, you were trying to be funny. Well in that case :lol: you got me, good addition to the debate, mate.
2. Yea, that has nothing to do with his knowing about whether or not Luke had a kid.
3.Kylo is a skywalker, so the series would still be about them regardless of what Rey is.

1. i was making light of the fact that you think inheriting an accent from a parent (absent ones at that) is a thing. seriously? :lol:
2. actually it does. we don't know what any of them know. obviously, we weren't going to be given all of that information in the first film anyway.
3. of course it would, that still wouldn't change the fact that the trilogy would have more weight to it, if she was one too. every trilogy has had a skywalker who was a main protagonist. but that's going to change now because oscirus is dead set against it. :lol:
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
waya
RealGM
And1: 5,128

Post#83 » by waya » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Not falling for this sh*t again :nonono:
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#84 » by Oscirus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:
1. she's been on jakku since she was what, 5? who speaks with an english accent on jakku? unkar plutt, lor san tekka, sorta does as well. hey, maybe they got it on and made baby rey since they speak in that accent as well.
2. ben was with his uncle. han most definitely not being a stay at home husband while leia was off doing republic ****.
3. the entire 9 film saga is about the skywalkers. that's not up for debate. that's what george outlined. and she doesn't have to be, than the mystery of her parentage is pointless.

1. Plenty of people on Jakku would speak with an english accent, it's an outpost. People come and go through there. Oh, you were trying to be funny. Well in that case :lol: you got me, good addition to the debate, mate.
2. Yea, that has nothing to do with his knowing about whether or not Luke had a kid.
3.Kylo is a skywalker, so the series would still be about them regardless of what Rey is.

1. i was making light of the fact that you think inheriting an accent from a parent (absent ones at that) are a thing. seriously? :lol:
2. actually it does. we don't know what any of them know. obviously, we weren't going to be given all of that information in the first film anyway.
3. of course it would, that still wouldn't change the fact that the trilogy would have more weight to it if she was one too. every trilogy has had a skywalker who was a main protagonist. but that's going to change now because oscirus is dead set against it. :lol:

1. Yes a character has a british accent when everybody else in her family has an american one. Scoff at it if you want. I guess we'll see come december.
2. Yes because something as obvious as Rey being a skywalker should be carried over into the second part as opposed to being revealed asap.
3. It's been two trilogies. That's a small sample size. But hey, "if you want to live in your Rey has to be a skywalker because this is Star wars mindset," then be my guest.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Marty McFly
RealGM

Post#85 » by Marty McFly » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Oscirus wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:
Oscirus wrote:

1. i was making light of the fact that you think inheriting an accent from a parent (absent ones at that) are a thing. seriously? :lol:
3. of course it would, that still wouldn't change the fact that the trilogy would have more weight to it if she was one too. every trilogy has had a skywalker who was a main protagonist. but that's going to change now because oscirus is dead set against it. :lol:

1. Yes a character has a british accent when everybody else in her family has an american one. Scoff at it if you want. I guess we'll see come december.
2. Yes because something as obvious as Rey being a skywalker should be carried over into the second part as opposed to being revealed asap.
3. It's been two trilogies. That's a small sample size. But hey, "if you want to live in your Rey has to be a skywalker because this is Star wars mindset," then be my guest.

1. :lol:
2. i didn't load checov's gun.
3.2 trilogies is 2/3rds of the main saga. not a small sample size. the only thing set in my mind is common sense.

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Oscirus
RealGM

Post#86 » by Oscirus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:47 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:

3.2 trilogies is 2/3rds of the main saga. not a small sample size. the only thing set in my mind is common sense.

Keep that smugness, I'm going to enjoy watching it disappear, this December. See ya around.
Marty McFly
RealGM

Post#87 » by Marty McFly » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Oscirus wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:
Oscirus wrote:

Keep that smugness, I'm going to enjoy watching it disappear, this December. See ya around.

Oscirus
RealGM

Post#88 » by Oscirus » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:29 am

I'm ashamed to admit that this never occurred to me:

Also for a trailer update, KK said that we won't see any star wars related stuff until the spring. The early prediction is April since that's Star Wars month.
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#89 » by frogfood » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:You want a new theory - what about if she's an Antilles? Awesome piloting skills and Luke knows who she is. It'd be a cool nod to the previous films, but would expand the universe a bit more as well. I don't think I've seen that one anywhere.

Oh you mean the guy who literally bailed on Biggs and Luke when things got hairy? HELL2DANAW
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#90 » by ATTL » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:57 am

kane wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:I doubt Rey goes dark. The title alludes to what Snoke said in episode VII, "“The droid will soon be delivered to the Resistance, leading them to the last Jedi. if Skywalker returns, the new Jedi will rise.”

I LOVE the title and the red outline. This is going to be awesome.

you know what they say about going dark..... :lol:

jedi is just a religion like the sith so if no jedi are left to train anyone they are technically extinct but you can still have force users and lightsabers

She's a Jedi in the streets, but a sith in the sheets.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#91 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 1:26 am

Kinda figure with the movie coming out in a little over a week, now would be a good time to bump it.

Anyone else going opening weekend? I'm going with my dad on Sunday because my GF hasn't seen anything after Revenge of the Sith (we watched the prequels, but haven't gotten to the remaining ones). SOOO looking forward to this.

*Sidenote, I'm still annoyed about SW making all of the old canon into "legends." The new books have been solid, but nothing has been amazing besides Ahsoka and Lords of the Sith (unless I'm forgetting a few?).
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#92 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Dec 5, 2017 1:54 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:Kinda figure with the movie coming out in a little over a week, now would be a good time to bump it.

Anyone else going opening weekend? I'm going with my dad on Sunday because my GF hasn't seen anything after Revenge of the Sith (we watched the prequels, but haven't gotten to the remaining ones). SOOO looking forward to this.

*Sidenote, I'm still annoyed about SW making all of the old canon into "legends." The new books have been solid, but nothing has been amazing besides Ahsoka and Lords of the Sith (unless I'm forgetting a few?).

SW Battlefront has a dope canon story about what happened after the Battle of Endor. I think they basically hinted at who is Reys Parents.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#93 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 1:57 am

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:Kinda figure with the movie coming out in a little over a week, now would be a good time to bump it.

SW Battlefront has a dope canon story about what happened after the Battle of Endor. I think they basically hinted at who is Reys Parents.

The book or the game? I was thinking of getting the game, but decided against it (but I know what you're talking about). I actually bought the prequel book to the game by accident (damnit, Amazon), and thought it was solid but not great. Thought it was a cool idea, though.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#94 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Dec 5, 2017 1:59 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

The book or the game? I was thinking of getting the game, but decided against it (but I know what you're talking about). I actually bought the prequel book to the game by accident (damnit, Amazon), and thought it was solid but not great. Thought it was a cool idea, though.

yes the game. The story campaign is short but I liked the concept of what they were trying to do with it.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#95 » by br7knicks » Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:01 am

frogfood wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:You want a new theory - what about if she's an Antilles? Awesome piloting skills and Luke knows who she is. It'd be a cool nod to the previous films, but would expand the universe a bit more as well. I don't think I've seen that one anywhere.

Oh you mean the guy who literally bailed on Biggs and Luke when things got hairy? HELL2DANAW

Yes, that same guy who then helped spearhead the attack against the next one, saving luke.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
ZKnicks
Junior
And1: 276

Post#96 » by ZKnicks » Tue Dec 5, 2017 3:12 am

Going Thursday 12/14 at 7pm with the wifey.
Can't wait! :rock:
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#97 » by BeagleBoss » Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm so pumped for this!
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#98 » by King of Canada » Tue Dec 5, 2017 3:38 pm

We picked up our tickets last night. My son, and my father and I are seeing it in imax 3d on the Monday after it opens. MY dad hasn't seen anything since the originals, so we'll be making him watch at least the Force Awakens before we go.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#99 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Dec 5, 2017 3:53 pm

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure it's the Last Jedi (Plus 3 more films after episode 9)
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#100 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:47 pm

A few things:

1. I am seeing the Last Jedi at the Alamo Drafthouse in Brooklyn where I have pre-purchased 2 collector's cups. REAL fans waste money on worthless merchandise.

2. Snoke's Identity: A lot of hysteria over who this guy is. I say he's the janitor in the Death Star at the end of Return of the Jedi when Palpatine's body landed and injured him. While recovering under workman's comp, the janitor somehow inherited Palpatine's grasp of the Dark Side...and used the lawsuit to invest in a Hedge Fund, bought out the dying Empire and restored it as the New Order (not the band).

Return to New York Knicks