ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 / 2018 Season FA/Trade Wishing Well

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

2 Moves 

Post#1161 » by Da_Mane_Man » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Ok, so I'm happy with the way the draft turned out. We got 2 players with 2-way potential, and another one who looks to be a nice stash overseas.

The rest of the off-season would be ideal if we made 2 moves. These are not immediate tank moves, but hear me out.

1. Trade Melo for Love.
2. Sign Gordon Hayward.

Love seems redundant, until you think about bringing him off the bench. He's a scoring big man, who can hit the 3, rebound like crazy and pass really well. He's the perfect big man for the triangle cause he can score in the post as well. Making him 6th man gives him the freedom he hasn't had since his T-Wolves days. I think he'd flourish. And between him, KP and Willy, they can have all the minutes they want at the 4 & 5.

Hayward is the perfect SF for this system and this team. I don't think I need to sell him. The only issue is he probably doesn't want to play for us because we weren't a winning team last year. However, I think those 2 moves make us a contender in the East, if not this year, then surely next year. A lineup of Frank, Lee, Hayward, KP, Willy with Love off the bench is pretty well rounded and can compete.

Now, those moves seem like long shots, but I think we can at least aim for that model. Get rid of Melo. Find a point forward type who can defend, hit the 3 and pass to replace him. Get a big man who can score in the paint to be 6th man.
Biggie Smalls
Sophomore
And1: 140

Re: 2 Moves 

Post#1162 » by Biggie Smalls » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Goddmnn im glad some of you aint running the team
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,008

Post#1163 » by god shammgod » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:25 pm

if cleveland would make that trade, love would never be the 6th man. he would be the best post big and the highest paid player, so phil would start him without a doubt. he's also horrible on defense and comes up small in big moments. i want no parts of him. hayward is never coming. you know this.

instead, my offer is this: nothing. not even the fee for the gaming license, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#1164 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:30 pm

I remember when I used to dream up stuff like this back in the day
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1165 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Merging this with the FA/Trade (offseason) thread at the top.

Also, there is no chance whatsoever that Hayward signs with the Knicks.
Rodimus921
Veteran
And1: 101

Post#1166 » by Rodimus921 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Da_Mane_Man wrote:Ok, so I'm happy with the way the draft turned out. We got 2 players with 2-way potential, and another one who looks to be a nice stash overseas.

The rest of the off-season would be ideal if we made 2 moves. These are not immediate tank moves, but hear me out.

1. Trade Melo for Love.
2. Sign Gordon Hayward.

Love seems redundant, until you think about bringing him off the bench. He's a scoring big man, who can hit the 3, rebound like crazy and pass really well. He's the perfect big man for the triangle cause he can score in the post as well. Making him 6th man gives him the freedom he hasn't had since his T-Wolves days. I think he'd flourish. And between him, KP and Willy, they can have all the minutes they want at the 4 & 5.

Hayward is the perfect SF for this system and this team. I don't think I need to sell him. The only issue is he probably doesn't want to play for us because we weren't a winning team last year. However, I think those 2 moves make us a contender in the East, if not this year, then surely next year. A lineup of Frank, Lee, Hayward, KP, Willy with Love off the bench is pretty well rounded and can compete.

Now, those moves seem like long shots, but I think we can at least aim for that model. Get rid of Melo. Find a point forward type who can defend, hit the 3 and pass to replace him. Get a big man who can score in the paint to be 6th man.

Merge this with stfu and gtfo
No Hayward comes here. love starts PORZINGIS center.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,683

Post#1167 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Da_Mane_Man wrote:Ok, so I'm happy with the way the draft turned out. We got 2 players with 2-way potential, and another one who looks to be a nice stash overseas.

1. Trade Melo for Love.
2. Sign Gordon Hayward.

RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Drazen8
Sophomore
And1: 126

Re: Summer 2017 / 2018 Season FA/Trade Wishing Well 

Post#1168 » by Drazen8 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Trade1:
Boston gets Love

Phoenix gets T.Thompson

Cavs get Melo, O'Quinn and Bledsoe

NY gets Bradley, Zeller and Frye
- Flip or wave Frye and Zeller.
-Trade Bradley at the deadline for a first rounder.

Trade2:
Lee and Kuz for A. Burks
Trade 3: Thomas for some one we can waive and a 2nd rounder.

FA interest:
Galloway
Collison
Mclemore
Ennis
Snell
Troy Williams
Jerebko
T. Jones
C.Wood
Len

Wish:
Sasha is given the assistant job to clear up a roster spot.

PG Randle Galloway Ntilikina
SG Bradley Baker Burks Dotson
SF Snell T.Williams
PF KP Jerebko Ndour
C WHG Noah Plumlee
2way Kornet Artis
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1169 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:08 pm

god shammgod wrote:if cleveland would make that trade, love would never be the 6th man. he would be the best post big and the highest paid player, so phil would start him without a doubt. he's also horrible on defense and comes up small in big moments. i want no parts of him. hayward is never coming. you know this.

instead, my offer is this: nothing. not even the fee for the gaming license, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally.

love has come up big the last couple postseasons.

but i'd only be interested in what i could flip him for. if he made it to start of season, i'd suggest he pack lightly.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1170 » by reub » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Get me PG Milos Teodosic and trade Melo for Love. We'd be a 50 win team with those 2 moves plus our rookie acquisitions.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1171 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:36 pm

BowlRips wrote:Minny gonna throw 30mil at Kyle Lowry and then trade us Rubio for KOQ

i can work with that.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1172 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:37 pm

ClydeRules wrote:Get me PG Milos Teodosic and trade Melo for Love. We'd be a 50 win team with those 2 moves plus our rookie acquisitions.

bruh. 50 wins with milos? he can pass, but couldn't defend a broomstick.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1173 » by reub » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:Get me PG Milos Teodosic and trade Melo for Love. We'd be a 50 win team with those 2 moves plus our rookie acquisitions.

He is arguably the best player outside of the NBA according to some.
"When he whips a no-look pass as if telepathically connected to a teammate, his hair flopping on his forehead, it’s “Pistol” Pete Maravich. When he breaks down a defender and dribbles baseline, exploring a defense for weak spots, it’s Steve Nash. And when the game’s critical moment arises, and Serbia needs a big play, he’s part Kyrie Irving, Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook.

Teodosic is the best player many hoop fans have never seen."

https://apnews.com/f096baa7329e48479a3cb08a75df1ad0/smooth-operator-serbian-guard-teodosic-has-nba-ready-game
SleepingMonkey
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1174 » by SleepingMonkey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Phil needs to get something like this done

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y89ee9bu

The trade could be modified slightly with smaller contracts to meet each team's preference but this is the core of it.

Each team sends Knicks a future 1st.

Knicks out : Melo, Plumlee (Oquinn if he opts in and they prefer)
Knicks In: Demare Carroll, Crawford, Paul Pierce, Future 1st from LA, Future 1st from Tor

LA Out : Jordan, Crawford, Paul Pierce, Future 1st
LA In : Melo, Valanciunas

Tor Out: Carroll, Valanciunas
Tor In: Jordan, Plumlee

Could also make the deal smaller and not include Crawford or Valanciunas or Plumlee

Why? Well, rumors of clippers wanting to trade Jordan are what drive the thought process behind this trade.

Clippers are in danger of losing Chris Paul and becoming irrelevant. Contrary to their belief when they re-signed him, Jordan is not all that important of a piece. Clippers do this because getting CP3s buddy melo increases their chances of re-signing CP3. Even more importantly, if LA plays their cards right, they can position themselves to have the next super team in 2018. Having Melo now and clearing Jordan from the books, maybe convince CP3 to take a deal similar to Lebron's or KD's, where they get Max money but can opt out after a year. Melo can opt out too. This should put them in a great spot to be able to steal Lebron away from Cleveland to join his buddies in a warm weather spot like hes always wanted to. LA can then re-sign Melo and CP3 to long term contracts. D Wade is even a FA next year, maybe convince him to come cheap to join his buddies maybe be a 6th man. The point is LA does this to keep CP3, possibly compete a little this year, but to mainly position themselves to be serious contenders for the rest of Melo and his friend's careers. Blake is a variable in this situation, maybe they can convince him to do a one year deal to compete and then they can discard him for Lebron next year? Not sure but probably just let him walk this year with the future in mind.

Toronto does this because, well, why not? They weren't quite on the same level as the other top teams in the east, and will probably never be contender with that core. Still, the doesn't change the fact that they need to keep the core together and to try and get better. They gave up little here to get a pretty big upgrade at Center. If they can re-sign Ibaka too, then they can be a very dangerous defensive team. Hopefully they keep their back court intact and they should be fighting for the ECF for the next few years. They don't really seem to use Carroll much anymore and won't have much use to Calanciunas if they have Jordan.

Knicks do this to get rid of Melo's contract while actually getting something of potential value back. 2 first rounders is probably the best we'll be able to get at this point. Neither one will be all that great but we need whatever assets we can get and if we get them far enough into the future we can package them in a deal for a difference maker later on. Also, we have to hope that LA is unsuccessful in bringing in Lebron next season, and maybe blake, melo, cp3 all break down and their future pick could actually end up being something of real value.

Beyond the draft picks this will help the knicks indirectly later on. Without melo on the team, we should be in a better position to actually get a top 3 pick next year. This is absolutely necessaary if we are to have a chance to rebuild properly. Additionally, without Melo we get to see our young pieces like Frank, Willy, and of course Kristaps develop more. Not to mention, without Melo, guys like Courtney Lee and Demarre Carroll should shine in the spot light with inflated numbers due to the increased opportunity. If our front office has any sort of talent (a big if), then we should be able to get at least another 1st rounder before the deadline between Lee and Carroll from a contender.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#1175 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:03 pm

1. Trade Melo for Love.
2. Sign Gordon Hayward.

Isn't it fun making up off seasons in your sleep?? #Dreaming
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#1176 » by magnumt » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Read on Twitter

:D

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#1177 » by digitaldropoff » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:05 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
BowlRips wrote:Minny gonna throw 30mil at Kyle Lowry and then trade us Rubio for KOQ

i can work with that.

They would have to trade Rubio for KOQ in order to sign Lowry, since they only have 20 million. On top of that, NY would have to give up more than KOQ....would NY really want to do that when rebuilding?
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#1178 » by digitaldropoff » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:08 am

ClydeRules wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

He is arguably the best player outside of the NBA according to some.
"When he whips a no-look pass as if telepathically connected to a teammate, his hair flopping on his forehead, it’s “Pistol” Pete Maravich. When he breaks down a defender and dribbles baseline, exploring a defense for weak spots, it’s Steve Nash. And when the game’s critical moment arises, and Serbia needs a big play, he’s part Kyrie Irving, Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook.

Teodosic is the best player many hoop fans have never seen."

https://apnews.com/f096baa7329e48479a3cb08a75df1ad0/smooth-operator-serbian-guard-teodosic-has-nba-ready-game

LOL.....I've heard write ups like this before..... :lol:
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,622

Post#1179 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:16 am

magnumt wrote:
Read on Twitter

:D

--Mags :beer:

yea but I want both these teams to burn to the ground. What do I do?
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,622

Post#1180 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:20 am

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Another Charlie Rosen article

https://www.fanragsports.com/nba/knicks/rosen-knicks-re-sign-derrick-rose/

Some interesting things that i don't like... Says knicks should resign Rose (please no), says Frank will get minimal pt and be behind Baker (ugh, really?), says Wolves were begging the Knicks to take Rubio (we should have gotten that one done,).

Now that the furious draft business is over, the focus turns to free-agent signings, and the inevitability of more high-impact trades. The New York Knicks will be in the middle of this new and continuing frenzy.

Aside from the absolute necessity of dealing Carmelo Anthony, and getting Kristaps Porzingis into the corral, New York’s point guard situation is noticeably problematic.

The Knicks believe that Frank Ntilikina has the physical tools, the willingness, and the capabilities to develop into an outstanding player at the apex of the triangle offense. The key word here is “develop.”

This presents a tricky dilemma for Jeff Hornacek. The youngster’s NBA education cannot be precipitously rushed, lest he gets routinely abused by the experienced opponents he will undoubtedly face, causing his confidence to rapidly and irretrievably wane. On the other hand, Ntilikina’s development will be stalled should he spend too much time on the bench.

Moreover, his adjustment to the NBA game would be greatly enhanced if the Knicks had a veteran point guard to show him the ropes.

Here’s the solution: According to several local media sources, Phil Jackson was greatly impressed with Derrick Rose’s testimony in his exit interview. Plus, Rose has publicly stated that he sincerely wants to return to New York.

What has to be accomplished for this scenario to happen?

Rose has to adjust his game to the necessities of the triangle. That means no more gratuitous adventures to the hoop, as well as better and quicker decisions with the ball (which includes taking more judicious shots). Throughout his career, Rose has been susceptible to over-penetrating and trying to force passes through heavy traffic while being airborne.

On the defensive end, Rose’s decision-making has been even more disastrous. How many games did the Knicks lose in the closing seconds last season when Rose was AWOL as his men made uncontested shots?

Can Rose, in his eighth season, make these basic changes in his game plan?

He does seem willing, and if he can indeed tweak his approach, the Knicks might be moved to sign him to a two-year contract at a reduced cost—say, $20-24 million.

This would be a productive endeavor, especially since it appears to be a long shot for the Knicks to sign Jeff Teague, Kyle Lowry, Chris Paul, Jrue Holiday, or any of the other established points who will soon be on the free-agent market.

If Rose is signed, Ron Baker can be his backup early in the season, with Ntilikina getting minimal daylight against selected opponents until he is ready to gradually usurp Baker.

Rose can function as the on-court mentor young Ntilikina would need.

There’s another component here.

Again, according to multiple media sources in New York, it was Minnesota which initiated talks aimed at trading Ricky Rubio to the Knicks. These same sources report that the T-Wolves virtually (and constantly) begged Phil Jackson to make a deal.

But then, while the two teams got very close to agreeing on a suitable swap just hours before the trade deadline, Tom Thibodeau’s assistants convinced him to renege on the agreement.

However, with Kris Dunn — last season’s backup point — being traded to the Chicago Bulls in the Jimmy Butler move, along with Rubio’s strong finish to the 2016-17 campaign, there’s no possibility that Rubio will leave Minnesota this offseason.

So, it stands to reason that Rose redux is the Knicks’ only viable solution to their short-term point guard problem.

This article really confuses me. Does anyone really think Rose can be an on-court mentor? Or want Rose as an on-court mentor?

Return to New York Knicks