ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 / 2018 Season FA/Trade Wishing Well

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,347

Re: 2017 FA/Trade Wishing Well - 5 Card Stud Edition 

Post#841 » by dakomish23 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:09 am

basketboule wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
basketboule wrote:Just make sure you never kill Rubio on this board because he's not hitting shots. We know that by now.

I'll be too busy praising his elite passing and elite defense. Happy for the rook(s) KP and WHG if we get him. His addition and a DRose subtraction will give them all the opportunities in the world.

I know that would be right, but I'm not sure you really would.
I love Rubio's game, but ever since he entered the league that is. People are turncoat these days. Just make sure you know what you're getting.

You're confusing me with a lot of these other posters who blame the best players for the garbage output. I know what I'm getting from Rubio every night and I'd be happy to have him with KP and WHG. I bet a lot of folks who didn't like him will start liking him once they watch him play.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#842 » by Homerclease » Mon May 29, 2017 1:53 am

Marcus Smart for Kyle O'quinn straight up?
bigtimeRC3
Pro Prospect
And1: 571

Post#843 » by bigtimeRC3 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:58 am

Homerclease wrote:Marcus Smart for Kyle O'quinn straight up?

i would do that. need more defenders. kyle o quinn is a dime in a dozen of big men
Swoosh_Stripes
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#844 » by Swoosh_Stripes » Mon May 29, 2017 2:29 am

bigtimeRC3 wrote:

i would do that. need more defenders. kyle o quinn is a dime in a dozen of big men

Problem is that Boston wouldn't do that deal because as you said Kyle O'Quinn is a dime a dozen big men.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,810

Post#845 » by spree2kawhi » Mon May 29, 2017 7:08 am

dakomish23 wrote:
basketboule wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
I'll be too busy praising his elite passing and elite defense. Happy for the rook(s) KP and WHG if we get him. His addition and a DRose subtraction will give them all the opportunities in the world.

I love Rubio's game, but ever since he entered the league that is. People are turncoat these days. Just make sure you know what you're getting.

You're confusing me with a lot of these other posters who blame the best players for the garbage output. I know what I'm getting from Rubio every night and I'd be happy to have him with KP and WHG. I bet a lot of folks who didn't like him will start liking him once they watch him play.

Wasn't personal at all, just a general observation. I trust you.
iLovethosedamnknicks
Rookie
And1: 221

Post#846 » by iLovethosedamnknicks » Mon May 29, 2017 12:59 pm

Swoosh_Stripes wrote:
bigtimeRC3 wrote:

Problem is that Boston wouldn't do that deal because as you said Kyle O'Quinn is a dime a dozen big men.

And Kyle o Quinn blows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#847 » by Grover » Mon May 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Amsterdam wrote:Knicks Interest In P.J. Tucker, Dante Cunningham Sign of Smart Rebuild
By Robbie Stratakos - 05/27/2017

The New York Knicks are interested in P.J. Tucker and Dante Cunningham. That interest shows they’re taking the right approach this summer.

Despite recording yet another losing season, the New York Knicks do have some hope going forward, especially on their frontline. With big men Kristaps Porzingis and Willy Hernangomez present, the Knicks have a promising duo on their frontline to work with going forward. After the two friends, the Knicks have little to no pieces set in stone for the near future.
Knicks Interest In P.J. Tucker, Dante Cunningham Sign of Smart Rebuild

However, they appear to have the right idea when it comes to bringing in reinforcements for the 2017 season. One bright spot from the 2016-17 season, albeit the overwhelming amount of losses, was the play of shooting guard Courtney Lee.

The Knicks inked Lee last summer to a four-year, $50 million deal, and he was everything and anything the Knicks could’ve hoped. Serving as a threat out on the perimeter, as well as a defensive assassin, Lee was a “three and d” presence for the Knicks. His solid play, paired with his bargain contract though, could make him a valuable trade chip for the Knicks if they look to trade away their veterans for a youth movement.

However, according to Ian Begley, the Knicks are in fact seeking to find more players like Lee to add to their roster. Their desire to do so shows that they’re approaching free agency the appropriate way, regardless of whether trading Lee is beneficial for them in the short term or not.

Based on the notion that forward Carmelo Anthony is bound to be shipped away this summer, the Knicks are likely set to begin building around Porzingis and Hernangomez. As a result, they’d be wise to avoid breaking the bank in free agency, which they’re said to be looking at going forth with achieving. They will still look to bring in some pieces on affordable deals though.

Currently, the Knicks will have roughly 19 million to play around with in free agency, but that figure could change. If and when Anthony is dealt, the Knicks could free up some cap space, depending on the contracts they take back in a deal. They could also look to trade away other players on their roster to free up more space.

Knicks Interest In P.J. Tucker, Dante Cunningham Sign of Smart Rebuild Knicks

Given that they were fond of the play they received from Lee last year, the Knicks are said to have an interest in bringing in players who make an impact on the defensive end, resembling his play. One name who’s on their radar and won’t break the bank is Raptors forward P.J. Tucker.

Tucker is a force on the defensive end, where he serves as a gritty, tough as nails presence. His impact on that end of the floor could be crucial to the Knicks’ short-term success, as well as their defensive attack as a unit. He also hits the boards. For his career, Tucker is averaging 5.7 rebounds per game.

In addition to his ability to compete at a high level on the defensive end and pull in rebounds, Tucker has come into his own as a threat out on the perimeter. Shooting 40.0% from beyond the arc, Tucker showed his ability to play like the modern day “three and d” player.

The Knicks were interested in acquiring Tucker during the regular season, but he was ultimately dealt to the Raptors at the NBA trade deadline.

For the Knicks to lock up his services, they will likely have to fork over roughly $12 million per year on average – a figure which they can meet. Inking Tucker would allow him to reunite with his former head coach Jeff Hornacek, who he played under for two and a half years with the Sun.

Another player who the Knicks are said to have an interest in though is Pelicans forward Dante Cunningham.

Knicks Interest In P.J. Tucker, Dante Cunningham Sign of Smart Rebuild Knicks USATSI_10007710-267x400
Apr 7, 2017; Denver, CO, USA; New Orleans Pelicans forward Dante Cunningham (33) controls the ball in the third quarter against the Denver Nuggets at the Pepsi Center. Mandatory Credit: Isaiah J. Downing-USA TODAY Sports
Cunningham, much like Tucker, poses a threat on the defensive end, but can also produce out on the perimeter. Last year, Cunningham came into his own as a perimeter threat shooting 39.2% from beyond the arc. His two-way play has the intrigue of the Knicks. However, the two-way play of swingman Justin Holiday also has the Knicks’ attention.

Last year, Holiday was a productive two-way player off the Knick bench. As a result of his play on both ends of the floor, the Knicks have an interest in resigning him. However, they can only have so many wings on their roster.

Working under the assumption that they can bring in either Tucker or Cunningham, the Knicks will have an immense amount of bodies out on the perimeter, especially if they go forth with trading Anthony to the Clippers.

In the rumored deal which would send Anthony to the Clippers, the Knicks are looking to snatch shooting guard J.J. Redick in return. However, such a transaction would have to be a sign and trade one, as Redick is an unrestricted free agent this summer.

If that move gains traction and ultimately goes through, the Knicks would have an overwhelming amount of wings on their roster.

With Redick, Lee forwards Lance Thomas and Mindaugas Kuzminskas, as well as Tucker and potentially Holiday or free agent guard Ron Baker. Some could argue that the Knicks would have too much depth at wing.

The Knicks are also said to be interested in acquiring another first round pick to select UNC forward Justin Jackson – a move which would add to the logjam.

If all of them are present, the Knicks would likely have to resolve their issue of having too many wings. However, that’s an issue they should want to encounter.

If nearly all of those wings are present, alongside Porzingis, Hernangomez and their first round draft pick (Dennis Smith Jr.? Frank Ntilikina?), the Knicks could have a well-balanced roster present.

With some “three and d” players in their rotation, as well as the potential one-two scoring punch of Porzingis and their first round pick, their roster would finally begin to make some sense in today’s three-point driven league. Another concept to keep in mind is that this Knicks team needs to start making decisions for the future.

By bringing in veteran defenders such as Tucker and potentially Cunningham, the Knicks could begin to build an identity on the defensive end – something which hasn’t been present in a while. Their signings would also prevent the Knicks’ organization from making an unneeded, pricey purchase in free agency.

The Knicks’ interest in both Tucker and Cunningham shows how they’re beginning to make the appropriate decisions for their franchise for the ensuing seasons.

Interesting read and certainly a possibility based on Jackson and Mills not taking advantage of moving cheap contracts at the deadline for future assets but I find myself to be diametrically opposed to signing aged role players with Redick already showing signs of decline and the others likely to join him while being difficult to move if given three or four year deals. It's a recipe for a run to the middle. I'm much more in the camp of the facilitator role of taking on a contract or two that adds future picks while attempting to sign multiple bounce back and injury question mark players on cheap one year deals, discovering talent wherever it may be and taking some risks when your squad is so far away from legitimately competing. Jackson has thus far appeared more enamored with roster continuity and unloading malcontents at trade deadlines instead of adding picks by taking advantage of playoff bound teams looking for a few missing pieces.
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#848 » by Amsterdam » Mon May 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Grover wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:Knicks Interest In P.J. Tucker, Dante Cunningham Sign of Smart Rebuild
By Robbie Stratakos - 05/27/2017

The New York Knicks are interested in P.J. Tucker and Dante Cunningham. That interest shows they’re taking the right approach this summer.

Despite recording yet another losing season, the New York Knicks do have some hope going forward, especially on their frontline. With big men Kristaps Porzingis and Willy Hernangomez present, the Knicks have a promising duo on their frontline to work with going forward. After the two friends, the Knicks have little to no pieces set in stone for the near future.
Knicks Interest In P.J. Tucker, Dante Cunningham Sign of Smart Rebuild

However, they appear to have the right idea when it comes to bringing in reinforcements for the 2017 season. One bright spot from the 2016-17 season, albeit the overwhelming amount of losses, was the play of shooting guard Courtney Lee.

The Knicks inked Lee last summer to a four-year, $50 million deal, and he was everything and anything the Knicks could’ve hoped. Serving as a threat out on the perimeter, as well as a defensive assassin, Lee was a “three and d” presence for the Knicks. His solid play, paired with his bargain contract though, could make him a valuable trade chip for the Knicks if they look to trade away their veterans for a youth movement.

However, according to Ian Begley, the Knicks are in fact seeking to find more players like Lee to add to their roster. Their desire to do so shows that they’re approaching free agency the appropriate way, regardless of whether trading Lee is beneficial for them in the short term or not.

Based on the notion that forward Carmelo Anthony is bound to be shipped away this summer, the Knicks are likely set to begin building around Porzingis and Hernangomez. As a result, they’d be wise to avoid breaking the bank in free agency, which they’re said to be looking at going forth with achieving. They will still look to bring in some pieces on affordable deals though.

Currently, the Knicks will have roughly 19 million to play around with in free agency, but that figure could change. If and when Anthony is dealt, the Knicks could free up some cap space, depending on the contracts they take back in a deal. They could also look to trade away other players on their roster to free up more space.

Given that they were fond of the play they received from Lee last year, the Knicks are said to have an interest in bringing in players who make an impact on the defensive end, resembling his play. One name who’s on their radar and won’t break the bank is Raptors forward P.J. Tucker.

Tucker is a force on the defensive end, where he serves as a gritty, tough as nails presence. His impact on that end of the floor could be crucial to the Knicks’ short-term success, as well as their defensive attack as a unit. He also hits the boards. For his career, Tucker is averaging 5.7 rebounds per game.

In addition to his ability to compete at a high level on the defensive end and pull in rebounds, Tucker has come into his own as a threat out on the perimeter. Shooting 40.0% from beyond the arc, Tucker showed his ability to play like the modern day “three and d” player.

The Knicks were interested in acquiring Tucker during the regular season, but he was ultimately dealt to the Raptors at the NBA trade deadline.

For the Knicks to lock up his services, they will likely have to fork over roughly $12 million per year on average – a figure which they can meet. Inking Tucker would allow him to reunite with his former head coach Jeff Hornacek, who he played under for two and a half years with the Sun.

Another player who the Knicks are said to have an interest in though is Pelicans forward Dante Cunningham.

Knicks Interest In P.J. Tucker, Dante Cunningham Sign of Smart Rebuild Knicks USATSI_10007710-267x400
Apr 7, 2017; Denver, CO, USA; New Orleans Pelicans forward Dante Cunningham (33) controls the ball in the third quarter against the Denver Nuggets at the Pepsi Center. Mandatory Credit: Isaiah J. Downing-USA TODAY Sports
Cunningham, much like Tucker, poses a threat on the defensive end, but can also produce out on the perimeter. Last year, Cunningham came into his own as a perimeter threat shooting 39.2% from beyond the arc. His two-way play has the intrigue of the Knicks. However, the two-way play of swingman Justin Holiday also has the Knicks’ attention.

Last year, Holiday was a productive two-way player off the Knick bench. As a result of his play on both ends of the floor, the Knicks have an interest in resigning him. However, they can only have so many wings on their roster.

Working under the assumption that they can bring in either Tucker or Cunningham, the Knicks will have an immense amount of bodies out on the perimeter, especially if they go forth with trading Anthony to the Clippers.

In the rumored deal which would send Anthony to the Clippers, the Knicks are looking to snatch shooting guard J.J. Redick in return. However, such a transaction would have to be a sign and trade one, as Redick is an unrestricted free agent this summer.

If that move gains traction and ultimately goes through, the Knicks would have an overwhelming amount of wings on their roster.

With Redick, Lee forwards Lance Thomas and Mindaugas Kuzminskas, as well as Tucker and potentially Holiday or free agent guard Ron Baker. Some could argue that the Knicks would have too much depth at wing.

The Knicks are also said to be interested in acquiring another first round pick to select UNC forward Justin Jackson – a move which would add to the logjam.

If all of them are present, the Knicks would likely have to resolve their issue of having too many wings. However, that’s an issue they should want to encounter.

If nearly all of those wings are present, alongside Porzingis, Hernangomez and their first round draft pick (Dennis Smith Jr.? Frank Ntilikina?), the Knicks could have a well-balanced roster present.

With some “three and d” players in their rotation, as well as the potential one-two scoring punch of Porzingis and their first round pick, their roster would finally begin to make some sense in today’s three-point driven league. Another concept to keep in mind is that this Knicks team needs to start making decisions for the future.

By bringing in veteran defenders such as Tucker and potentially Cunningham, the Knicks could begin to build an identity on the defensive end – something which hasn’t been present in a while. Their signings would also prevent the Knicks’ organization from making an unneeded, pricey purchase in free agency.

The Knicks’ interest in both Tucker and Cunningham shows how they’re beginning to make the appropriate decisions for their franchise for the ensuing seasons.

Interesting read and certainly a possibility based on Jackson and Mills not taking advantage of moving cheap contracts at the deadline for future assets but I find myself to be diametrically opposed to signing aged role players with Redick already showing signs of decline and the others likely to join him while being difficult to move if given three or four year deals. It's a recipe for a run to the middle. I'm much more in the camp of the facilitator role of taking on a contract or two that adds future picks while attempting to sign multiple bounce back and injury question mark players on cheap one year deals, discovering talent wherever it may be and taking some risks when your squad is so far away from legitimately competing. Jackson has thus far appeared more enamored with roster continuity and unloading malcontents at trade deadlines instead of adding picks by taking advantage of playoff bound teams looking for a few missing pieces.

Courtney Lee or O'Quinn would have been great playoff team depth last year. But given their contracts and lengths, being able to get equal value would have been difficult.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,692

Post#849 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:10 pm

Can we technically take back Josh Smith's contract?

If so, I wonder if Detroit would be interested in CLee, KOQ, and a 2nd?

for

Josh Smith, 12 pick and Stanley Johnson?

We help them out by turning dead weight in Smith to productive guys like Lee and KOQ. If they have another bad contract, I'd be willing to take that back as well. 12 pick is valuable. Coming out of this draft with Monk/Frank/DSJ and then a Mitchell/Zach Collins/Giles would be an excellent haul
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,692

Post#850 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:13 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
basketboule wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

Yep it's a real shame that the rebuttal is always "he's not kyrie, he's not steph, he's not top 5" this board can never just judge a player specifically for what they are. It's always gotta be a comparison to someone else. Whether it's Melo, Kp, or whoever....
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Post#851 » by melo mvp 15 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:13 am

I never understood the logic that we have a good shot at signing Jrue Holiday because Justin played one season for us and will be a restricted FA this summer. If they were set on playing together, there are probably about 10 other teams that could offer that opportunity- all it would take would be about $30-35 mil in cap space ($20-25 mil for Jrue and $10 mil for Justin). I'm pretty sure the most we can offer Justin is the MLE because we don't have his full bird rights and we don't have more than $20 mil to sign Jrue... oh yeah, also we're terrible and Jrue would be crazy to want to come here right now.

The main reason Jrue will come here is if we're willing to overpay him... and considering how many teams I think can and would outspend us to get him, it's a very slim chance.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,435

Post#852 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 31, 2017 5:10 am

melo mvp 15 wrote:I never understood the logic that we have a good shot at signing Jrue Holiday because Justin played one season for us and will be a restricted FA this summer. If they were set on playing together, there are probably about 10 other teams that could offer that opportunity- all it would take would be about $30-35 mil in cap space ($20-25 mil for Jrue and $10 mil for Justin). I'm pretty sure the most we can offer Justin is the MLE because we don't have his full bird rights and we don't have more than $20 mil to sign Jrue... oh yeah, also we're terrible and Jrue would be crazy to want to come here right now.

The main reason Jrue will come here is if we're willing to overpay him... and considering how many teams I think can and would outspend us to get him, it's a very slim chance.

Chances of us signing a major free agent this off-season are pretty slim. We're not ready for that yet.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#853 » by GEOLINK » Wed May 31, 2017 7:26 am

Who else would take Danilo back on a cheap deal? He was KP before there was a KP.

Would love to have him back.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,280

Post#854 » by RHODEY » Wed May 31, 2017 7:41 am

GEOLINK wrote:Who else would take Danilo back on a cheap deal? He was KP before there was a KP.

sure would, but apparently that is a taboo topic...in before the lock!
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#855 » by WesleyExChiFan » Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 am

Blazers are open to a dealing a pick to shed salary. That means Turner is on the table. Wouldn't be a bad move to take on his salary to get an extra pick just outside the lottery. Use the lottery to grab a PG and the other for a BPA prospect. Preferably a tough defender.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#856 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed May 31, 2017 9:28 am

GEOLINK wrote:Who else would take Danilo back on a cheap deal? He was KP before there was a KP.

I was a big gallo fan when he was here but KP is a much better overall player than Gallo was here. Also besides being tall and European I don't see too many similarities there. That being said I wouldn't mind him coming back although I doubt it considering he's 28 and is a productive player when healthy. So he's gonna get paid.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#857 » by WesleyExChiFan » Wed May 31, 2017 12:18 pm

http://bkref.com/tiny/gkYJu

Search criteria: In 2016-17, 5-man lineup, per 100 possessions, in the regular season, playing for the Knicks, requiring Minutes Played >= 36, sorted by ascending Net Points

Purpose of this postis to make informed decisions on FA and draft based on what actually worked for the team this year..and what didn't.

Out of 14 total lineups that met the above criteria, some observations:

9/14
C. Anthony | C. Lee | J. Noah | K. Porzingis | D. Rose 395.6 MP -6.7 Net PTS
Basically, the Jackson 5 was a failure, but we all knew that. Some type of shake up is required.

2/14
C. Anthony | J. Holiday | J. Noah | K. Porzingis | D. Rose 37.1 MP +20.5 PTS
So there's a shakeup. Move Holiday in there for Lee and viola, big time point shift. Should Holiday be considered for a 5th starter role? Lee has a favorable contract. Maybe there's a deal to be made there.

3/14
C. Anthony | C. Lee | J. Noah | D. Rose | L. Thomas 71.5 MP +16.8 Net PTS
Melo at the 4. People were screaming for it this year. Not Jeff obvioulsy. This lineup would need Rose to be replaced by someone with a similar skillset (or re-signed). I really don't know what Jackson is thinking of doing because he did speak well of Rose, but I expect him to play it smart and draft a PG who would replace him in this lineup.

14/14
C. Anthony | C. Lee | K. O'Quinn | D. Rose | L. Thomas 68.7 MP -11.9 PTS
Swap out KOQ for Noah and the lead goes away. If there's an asset to be had for him, I'd take the offer seriously.

13/14
C. Anthony | W. Hernangomez | C. Lee | K. Porzingis | D. Rose NYK 171.8 MP -9.6 Net PTS.
Disaster. 2 C's, a PF and 2 guards. Great lineup in the 70s. Gotta point the finger strait at Hornacek here, especially with so many MP. 2nd most of any unit!

6/14
C. Anthony | C. Lee | K. Porzingis | D. Rose | L. Thomas NYK 108.6 MP +7.0 Net PTS
Melo at the 4, KP at the 5. It worked pretty well. Only unit to play over 100 minutes together and end up with a positive rating. I wonder how much better it would have worked with Holiday in there instead of Lee.

1/14
W. Hernangomez | J. Holiday | B. Jennings | M. Kuzminskas | K. Porzingis 44.8 MP +26.1 Net PTS
The bench was the best overall unit, which we all knew. They actually flowed and there was a heirarchy around KP. Jennings sought him out every play. Rose and Melo weren't there to ball-stop. Replace Jennings with Rubio somehow and maybe you've got something. It's not like Jennings shot that well this year, so you're not losing that.

From what I can see, KOQ and Lee should be made available. Each should be able to fetch something. Holiday needs to be a priority signing.

Rose..that's a toughie. It all depends on market value tbh. If somebody offers him a lot of coin then best of luck. If he takes very low end starter money..maybe with a 2nd year PO. A below market deal for a PO 2nd year is fair. He'll get a better deal than low money + team option. Happens all the time. Replacing him is probably going to be more expensive than it's worth this year, most likely. Noah is already an albatross contract. George Hill and Jrue Holiday can very easily become one too. SnT Rose for Rubio? That's a smart move imo.

Start Rubio/Holiday/Thomas/Melo/KP, go from there.

I think one BIG fix that can be made is that nobody outside of Melo and KP are guaranteed starters. Everyone else has to earn their keep. After a losing season, the players have no room to complain about that. And if they do, they're not the players that are conducive to winning. Melo was in the ASG and KP is the future. Everybody else needs to play like their jobs depend on it.

FWIW, I doubt Melo is going anywhere.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,810

Post#858 » by spree2kawhi » Wed May 31, 2017 2:32 pm

WesleyExChiFan wrote:http://bkref.com/tiny/gkYJu

Search criteria: In 2016-17, 5-man lineup, per 100 possessions, in the regular season, playing for the Knicks, requiring Minutes Played >= 36, sorted by ascending Net Points

Purpose of this postis to make informed decisions on FA and draft based on what actually worked for the team this year..and what didn't.

Out of 14 total lineups that met the above criteria, some observations:

9/14
C. Anthony | C. Lee | J. Noah | K. Porzingis | D. Rose 395.6 MP -6.7 Net PTS
Basically, the Jackson 5 was a failure, but we all knew that. Some type of shake up is required.

2/14
C. Anthony | J. Holiday | J. Noah | K. Porzingis | D. Rose 37.1 MP +20.5 PTS
So there's a shakeup. Move Holiday in there for Lee and viola, big time point shift. Should Holiday be considered for a 5th starter role? Lee has a favorable contract. Maybe there's a deal to be made there.

3/14
C. Anthony | C. Lee | J. Noah | D. Rose | L. Thomas 71.5 MP +16.8 Net PTS
Melo at the 4. People were screaming for it this year. Not Jeff obvioulsy. This lineup would need Rose to be replaced by someone with a similar skillset (or re-signed). I really don't know what Jackson is thinking of doing because he did speak well of Rose, but I expect him to play it smart and draft a PG who would replace him in this lineup.

14/14
C. Anthony | C. Lee | K. O'Quinn | D. Rose | L. Thomas 68.7 MP -11.9 PTS
Swap out KOQ for Noah and the lead goes away. If there's an asset to be had for him, I'd take the offer seriously.

13/14
C. Anthony | W. Hernangomez | C. Lee | K. Porzingis | D. Rose NYK 171.8 MP -9.6 Net PTS.
Disaster. 2 C's, a PF and 2 guards. Great lineup in the 70s. Gotta point the finger strait at Hornacek here, especially with so many MP. 2nd most of any unit!

6/14
C. Anthony | C. Lee | K. Porzingis | D. Rose | L. Thomas NYK 108.6 MP +7.0 Net PTS
Melo at the 4, KP at the 5. It worked pretty well. Only unit to play over 100 minutes together and end up with a positive rating. I wonder how much better it would have worked with Holiday in there instead of Lee.

1/14
W. Hernangomez | J. Holiday | B. Jennings | M. Kuzminskas | K. Porzingis 44.8 MP +26.1 Net PTS
The bench was the best overall unit, which we all knew. They actually flowed and there was a heirarchy around KP. Jennings sought him out every play. Rose and Melo weren't there to ball-stop. Replace Jennings with Rubio somehow and maybe you've got something. It's not like Jennings shot that well this year, so you're not losing that.

From what I can see, KOQ and Lee should be made available. Each should be able to fetch something. Holiday needs to be a priority signing.

Rose..that's a toughie. It all depends on market value tbh. If somebody offers him a lot of coin then best of luck. If he takes very low end starter money..maybe with a 2nd year PO. A below market deal for a PO 2nd year is fair. He'll get a better deal than low money + team option. Happens all the time. Replacing him is probably going to be more expensive than it's worth this year, most likely. Noah is already an albatross contract. George Hill and Jrue Holiday can very easily become one too. SnT Rose for Rubio? That's a smart move imo.

Start Rubio/Holiday/Thomas/Melo/KP, go from there.

I think one BIG fix that can be made is that nobody outside of Melo and KP are guaranteed starters. Everyone else has to earn their keep. After a losing season, the players have no room to complain about that. And if they do, they're not the players that are conducive to winning. Melo was in the ASG and KP is the future. Everybody else needs to play like their jobs depend on it.

FWIW, I doubt Melo is going anywhere.

Interesting post and the only one in recent memory that has Melo staying.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,081

Post#859 » by moocow007 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:34 pm

Reign23 wrote:
riter wrote:http://www.thebirdwrites.com/2017/5/22/15673144/jrue-holiday-free-agent-odds-new-orleans-pelicans-glushon-horford-chris-finch-jokic-cousins
Jrue Holiday leaving New Orleans during free agency is growing by the day5-22-17
"At first, I figured the Holiday brothers had only wanted to play together in the NBA because of a genetic connection and deep friendship. I can’t help now but wonder if there’s more to it — say having another spiritually motivated teammate alongside. Not that long ago, Monty Williams and Ryan Anderson shared the same locker room, but they’ve moved on. Quincy Pondexter remains, and perhaps a few other voices that share similar views, but it may no longer enough.

Simply put, basketball does not define Jrue Holiday. It’s more akin to a vehicle as he travels through life with his wife and God as co-pilots. Religion plays a gigantic role in the Holiday household, and with family by far and away his number one priority, it could ultimately influence his final decision. Thus, maybe a lack of spirituality on the team is not the root of the problem but rather just the location of Holiday’s employment. Maybe calling home in a different city has infinitely more appeal.

Either way, enough guessing, so let’s just stick to the latest facts. Late last week the Pelicans hired Chris Finch. Then Fletcher wrote an important insider comment: “if we lose Jrue, don’t assume we’ll spend our money on a player at the same position.”

The Pelicans newest assistant coach is most famous for crafting an exciting offense that revolves around a non-traditional big man rather than a point guard. Nikola Jokic and Cousins both possess an extraordinary amount of playmaking skill for their size. And above all else, this nuance remains perfectly in line with Alvin Gentry’s ideology centered around pace, space and movement as evidenced by the style of play in Denver this past season. The Nuggets offense proved it could score with the best of them, all without a traditional point guard running the show.

The writing may already be on the wall regarding Jrue Holiday’s future. At least if he leaves now, the Pelicans have shown they have the makings of a back-up plan, which seems more and more relevant by the day because unlike in Groundhog Day, the chance of the central character’s departure is trending in very much the opposite direction."

oh yes, please come to ny!

Holiday's family is from LA and his wife Lauren's family are all in Indiana. I believe they live in CA. I'm not seeing a reason IF all that thing about family being the most important thing is true why he would come to NY (his brother Justin is a UFA). The Clippers (if CP3 bolts for the Spurs) or the Pacers (Teague is a FA) would seem to be the most likely spots.
LugerLex
Sophomore
And1: 129

Post#860 » by LugerLex » Wed May 31, 2017 4:09 pm

Carmelo Anthony for Jeff Teague, Lance Stephenson, Future 1st rd pick

Sign Danilo Galinari
Sign PJ Tucker

(Fortifying the wing)
Resign Holiday

Teague/Baker/3rd PG
Lee/Stephenson/Holiday