ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: NYU Sports

Moderators: moocow007, Knickstape1214, Capn'O, magnumt, Deeeez Knicks, Thorn, GONYK, NoLayupRule, Thugger HBC, j4remi, mrpoetryNmotion, King of Canada

Kristaps6_NYK
Starter
Posts: 2,302
And1: 1,132
Joined: Mar 11, 2014

OT: NYU Sports 

Post#1 » by Kristaps6_NYK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:22 am

Just a question because I'm aware of the excellence in terms of academics, but why when it comes to sports they're division III? They could easily attract the nations best athletes especially in bball. Why? Always wondered why NYC college sport team never had a team competing in the best competition
User avatar
Phish Tank
RealGM
Posts: 10,895
And1: 4,184
Joined: Nov 09, 2004
Location: Your Timepiece
   

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#2 » by Phish Tank » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:41 am

Few reasons:

1). They're better off spending endowment money (i.e. money provided to them by wealthy alums) on scholarships toward academics instead of athletics since that's their competitive advantage

2). Part of becoming division 1 is playing in your own arena, I think, that holds a certain amount of people . They're not going to build a stadium in manhattan for NYU.

3). Why bother? The college basketball powerhouses are already way too huge that there's no chance to even catch up to them


Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Clyde Frazier: "But AC (Green) didn't believe in fornicating, Mike"
CMFGB
SMFPB

Knicks Twitter who blocked me:
Stefan Bondy, netw3rk
Jeffrey
Starter
Posts: 2,159
And1: 853
Joined: Aug 02, 2010
   

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#3 » by Jeffrey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:14 am

Phish Tank wrote:Few reasons:

1). They're better off spending endowment money (i.e. money provided to them by wealthy alums) on scholarships toward academics instead of athletics since that's their competitive advantage

2). Part of becoming division 1 is playing in your own arena, I think, that holds a certain amount of people . They're not going to build a stadium in manhattan for NYU.

3). Why bother? The college basketball powerhouses are already way too huge that there's no chance to even catch up to them


Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums


This is somewhat not true. CCNY was a powerhouse Division 1 school until the 1951 point shaving scandal. When the point shaving scandal happened, a lot of NYC schools didn't want to go near Division 1 competition.

At this point, it's too late. Kids would rather be on campus or programs that has 100 million dollar facilities.
User avatar
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 43,476
And1: 19,574
Joined: Feb 25, 2010
Location: I don't really know
     

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#4 » by Greenie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:39 am

NYU is academic. The end.
BAT 18 - Bullets
G: Curry(35)|Dunn(23)|Temple(15)
G/F: Robinson III(25)|Luwawu-Cabarrot(18)
F: Simmons(33)|Thomas(15)|Beasley(15)
F/C: Randle(28)|Chandler(23)|Bertans(10)
Bench Warmers: Jones Jr|Scott|Humphries
Inactive: Cook

*Bolded players are starters.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,075
And1: 2,911
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#5 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:59 am

Division One: Lining outside of Supreme and other trendy sneaker or fashion shops.
DrCoach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,208
And1: 1,717
Joined: May 24, 2014

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#6 » by DrCoach » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:17 am

I don't understand all this "Academic" stuff.

All the Ivy Leagues are D1

Hell, Northwestern is D1

LIU Brooklyn and St. Francis BK are D1.

No reason why NYU can't be D1, in fact, it hurts their legacy because they are not
User avatar
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 43,476
And1: 19,574
Joined: Feb 25, 2010
Location: I don't really know
     

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#7 » by Greenie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:48 am

DrCoach wrote:I don't understand all this "Academic" stuff.

All the Ivy Leagues are D1

Hell, Northwestern is D1

LIU Brooklyn and St. Francis BK are D1.

No reason why NYU can't be D1, in fact, it hurts their legacy because they are not

NYU's legacy is in no way, shape or form being hurt. It's NYU...
BAT 18 - Bullets
G: Curry(35)|Dunn(23)|Temple(15)
G/F: Robinson III(25)|Luwawu-Cabarrot(18)
F: Simmons(33)|Thomas(15)|Beasley(15)
F/C: Randle(28)|Chandler(23)|Bertans(10)
Bench Warmers: Jones Jr|Scott|Humphries
Inactive: Cook

*Bolded players are starters.
User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 24,695
And1: 3,554
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#8 » by br7knicks » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:54 pm

DrCoach wrote:I don't understand all this "Academic" stuff.

All the Ivy Leagues are D1

Hell, Northwestern is D1

LIU Brooklyn and St. Francis BK are D1.

No reason why NYU can't be D1, in fact, it hurts their legacy because they are not



when people think of NYU, at NO point do they wonder about their sports, sans the OP and you. when anyone thinks of NYU, they assume they're talking about academics, and think highly of it.

my cousin's grandfather is a professor there. i can't stand him (or his son, my cousin's father), but he's an incredibly intelligent man. trust me, their legacy will be just fine without going to DI or DII


edit: sorry. he stopped teaching there in 2008.
D Schroder/D Williams/S Mack
A Roberson/J Meeks/MCW
P George/V Carter/M Dunleavy
E Ilyasova/Z Randolph/L Babbitt
J Valanciunas/K Koufos/A Baynes
User avatar
Phish Tank
RealGM
Posts: 10,895
And1: 4,184
Joined: Nov 09, 2004
Location: Your Timepiece
   

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#9 » by Phish Tank » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Per the NCAA website, a Division 1 program must meet the following requirements:

1) sponsor at least seven sports for men and seven for women (or six for men and eight for women) with two team sports for each gender. Each playing season has to be represented by each gender as well.

2) For sports other than football and basketball, Division I schools must play 100 percent of the minimum number of contests against Division I opponents -- anything over the minimum number of games has to be 50 percent Division I. Men's and women's basketball teams have to play all but two games against Division I teams; for men, they must play one-third of all their contests in the home arena.

3) Schools that have football are classified as Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) or NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA). Football Bowl Subdivision schools are usually fairly elaborate programs. Football Bowl Subdivision teams have to meet minimum attendance requirements (average 15,000 people in actual or paid attendance per home game), which must be met once in a rolling two-year period.

4) NCAA Football Championship Subdivision teams do not need to meet minimum attendance requirements.

5) Division I schools must meet minimum financial aid awards for their athletics program, and there are maximum financial aid awards for each sport that a Division I school cannot exceed.

I don't think NYU would qualify for some of these requirements.
Clyde Frazier: "But AC (Green) didn't believe in fornicating, Mike"
CMFGB
SMFPB

Knicks Twitter who blocked me:
Stefan Bondy, netw3rk
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
Posts: 3,489
And1: 1,632
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
 

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#10 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:00 pm

DrCoach wrote:I don't understand all this "Academic" stuff.

All the Ivy Leagues are D1

Hell, Northwestern is D1

LIU Brooklyn and St. Francis BK are D1.

No reason why NYU can't be D1, in fact, it hurts their legacy because they are not


It doesn't hurt the school's legacy, maybe its lure, but focusing on academics and being an athletic powerhouse aren't mutually eclusive.
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 19,407
And1: 4,600
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#11 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:54 pm

I believe nyu, city College, and a few other cunys were very competitive in bball eons ago before a gambling scandal changed the landscape.
A new era or error?
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 19,407
And1: 4,600
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#12 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Also btw St johns was a powerhouse in the 80s up into the 90s. They are trying to get there again currently.
A new era or error?
twosevenstreet
Senior
Posts: 613
And1: 129
Joined: Jun 29, 2016
     

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#13 » by twosevenstreet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:59 pm

There have been rumors that NYU is looking to buy / merge with LIU

They want Liu pharmacy program

Sent from my LG-H811 using RealGM mobile app
Spread Em and Dead em.
Spoiler:
Get Er Done 2017-18 Starters
PG- Lin 15ppg, 6apg
SG- CLV 13ppg, 4apg, 4rpg, 100 3s
SF- Gallo 17ppg, 6rpg, 4apg, 200 3s
PF- RHJ 10ppg, 9rpg, 3apg, 1.5spg
C- Brook 22ppg, 6rpg, 2bpg, 150 3s
Jeffrey
Starter
Posts: 2,159
And1: 853
Joined: Aug 02, 2010
   

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#14 » by Jeffrey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:00 pm

On top of meeting the criteria of a D1 school, the current board will not put a single dollar in D1. Students will also fight against it.

Unless a Saudi Prince that wants to drop a nice donation for only athletics then I don't see how that will be possible.
Jeffrey
Starter
Posts: 2,159
And1: 853
Joined: Aug 02, 2010
   

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#15 » by Jeffrey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:02 pm

twosevenstreet wrote:There have been rumors that NYU is looking to buy / merge with LIU

They want Liu pharmacy program

Sent from my LG-H811 using RealGM mobile app


And that could happen. I'm not sure if they merged with Polytechnic to boost up their meager engineering program
User avatar
magnumt
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 41,369
And1: 6,328
Joined: Jan 27, 2004
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!
         

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#16 » by magnumt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:25 pm

St Johns and Cornell have been the only real NYC ones focusing on this. On NY as a WHOLE, there's obviously Syracuse. :D

--Mags
BAT 18 - GS Warriors
Jameer Nelson / Brandon Jennings / Raymond Felton
Evan Fournier / Devin Harris / Rashad Vaughn
DeMar DeRozan / Gerald Green / Alan Anderson
Tyler Zeller / Adreian Payne / Bruno Caboclo
Nikola Jokic / Cole Aldrich / Joel Anthony
DrCoach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,208
And1: 1,717
Joined: May 24, 2014

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#17 » by DrCoach » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:08 am

FirePjax wrote:
DrCoach wrote:I don't understand all this "Academic" stuff.

All the Ivy Leagues are D1

Hell, Northwestern is D1

LIU Brooklyn and St. Francis BK are D1.

No reason why NYU can't be D1, in fact, it hurts their legacy because they are not


It doesn't hurt the school's legacy, maybe its lure, but focusing on academics and being an athletic powerhouse aren't mutually eclusive.



I disagree, a huge part of a school and alumnis legacy is sports. how many schools that are ranked top in the US don't have a D1 sports program? MIT??
DrCoach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,208
And1: 1,717
Joined: May 24, 2014

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#18 » by DrCoach » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:10 am

magnumt wrote:St Johns and Cornell have been the only real NYC ones focusing on this. On NY as a WHOLE, there's obviously Syracuse. :D

--Mags


It's a shame, it's embarrassing actually.

Stony Brook, Albany, LIU, Iona and Manhattan and been to the tourney more than St. John's and Cornell..

SMH
DrCoach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,208
And1: 1,717
Joined: May 24, 2014

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#19 » by DrCoach » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:12 am

Jeffrey wrote:On top of meeting the criteria of a D1 school, the current board will not put a single dollar in D1. Students will also fight against it.

Unless a Saudi Prince that wants to drop a nice donation for only athletics then I don't see how that will be possible.



They would have to be D2 for 5 years first.

NYU is one of the most Expensive schools in he USA. I don't want to hear it's not possible.
User avatar
ccvle
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,675
And1: 272
Joined: Aug 03, 2002

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#20 » by ccvle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:55 am

the students don't really give a **** about sports. alot of the people go to NYU because they want the experience of manhattan. if they want to paint their face and go to a football/basketball game they can just stay home.

Return to New York Knicks