ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: NYU Sports

Moderators: moocow007, Knickstape1214, magnumt, Thorn, AllanH20, j4remi, Thugger HBC, Brooklyn_Yards, mrpoetryNmotion, NoLayupRule, GONYK, Capn'O

FirePjax
Veteran
And1: 1,275

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#21 » by FirePjax » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:46 am

DrCoach wrote:
FirePjax wrote:
DrCoach wrote:I don't understand all this "Academic" stuff.

All the Ivy Leagues are D1

Hell, Northwestern is D1

LIU Brooklyn and St. Francis BK are D1.

No reason why NYU can't be D1, in fact, it hurts their legacy because they are not

It doesn't hurt the school's legacy, maybe its lure, but focusing on academics and being an athletic powerhouse aren't mutually eclusive.

I disagree, a huge part of a school and alumnis legacy is sports. how many schools that are ranked top in the US don't have a D1 sports program? MIT??

I guess it depends on what criteria you're looking at these colleges with when determining their legacies. Most people would agree that the main purpose of a college is to be an institution of higher learning and to educate their students. NYU in most circles has had the reputation of being a good school. I have to believe most people don't view NYU' lack of success in the athletic arena as a detractor from the school' legacy, but some, like you, might because the criteria is subjective. For myself ultimately I'm not going to to pretend I have the faintest clue about how NYU ranks as a university and have no opinion on their legacy. I don't keep tabs on their professors, alumni or anything like that. Although my sister did go to NYU medical school. Let's just say for the tuition it costs to go there - I hope it's a good school.
FirePjax
Veteran
And1: 1,275

Post#22 » by FirePjax » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:50 am

DrCoach wrote:
magnumt wrote:St Johns and Cornell have been the only real NYC ones focusing on this. On NY as a WHOLE, there's obviously Syracuse. :D

--Mags

It's a shame, it's embarrassing actually.

Stony Brook, Albany, LIU, Iona and Manhattan and been to the tourney more than St. John's and Cornell..

SMH

I don't believe that's even remotely true. I went to Albany almost 20 years ago. The school was just turning D1. Since then they have been in the tourney a couple of times. St. John's had a run at being a national powerhouse for a while, or so it seemed. I don't know, maybe you're right but you seem far off.
DrCoach
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,610

Post#23 » by DrCoach » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:01 pm

FirePjax wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
FirePjax wrote:
It doesn't hurt the school's legacy, maybe its lure, but focusing on academics and being an athletic powerhouse aren't mutually eclusive.

I disagree, a huge part of a school and alumnis legacy is sports. how many schools that are ranked top in the US don't have a D1 sports program? MIT??

I guess it depends on what criteria you're looking at these colleges with when determining their legacies. Most people would agree that the main purpose of a college is to be an institution of higher learning and to educate their students. NYU in most circles has had the reputation of being a good school. I have to believe most people don't view NYU' lack of success in the athletic arena as a detractor from the school' legacy, but some, like you, might because the criteria is subjective. For myself ultimately I'm not going to to pretend I have the faintest clue about how NYU ranks as a university and have no opinion on their legacy. I don't keep tabs on their professors, alumni or anything like that. Although my sister did go to NYU medical school. Let's just say for the tuition it costs to go there - I hope it's a good school.

NYU is a good school, Im not trying to crap on their reputation. Im just saying that sports(Especially football and Basketball) elevate a schools popularity and brings in megadollars. I do believe that sports is a integral part of campus life in many schools and Alumni.

There are kids in small town America that want to goto Northwestern just because they saw them on TV and/or liked the colors of their team., sounds illy, but branding is Huge.

Look at a academic school like Duke, they are ranked lower than NYU on the one list I looked at but if you sked people, the majority would say its a better school or maybe havent even heard of NYU
DrCoach
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,610

Post#24 » by DrCoach » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:05 pm

FirePjax wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
magnumt wrote:St Johns and Cornell have been the only real NYC ones focusing on this. On NY as a WHOLE, there's obviously Syracuse. :D

--Mags

It's a shame, it's embarrassing actually.

Stony Brook, Albany, LIU, Iona and Manhattan and been to the tourney more than St. John's and Cornell..

SMH

I don't believe that's even remotely true. I went to Albany almost 20 years ago. The school was just turning D1. Since then they have been in the tourney a couple of times. St. John's had a run at being a national powerhouse for a while, or so it seemed. I don't know, maybe you're right but you seem far off.

In the last 10 years in the NCAA

Albany - 5 times
St. johns -2 times

Return to New York Knicks