ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Gone to South Africa (end of April)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Re: OT: Gone to South Africa (end of April) 

Post#21 » by camillepd » Tue Apr 4, 2017 12:00 pm

[quote="AmazingJason"]Saw a headline that South Africa's credit rating got cut to junk :eek2:

Good time to stretch those USD's :D[/quote

I saw that but that is more a political decision by Standard and Poors rather than reflecting the economic fundamentals of the country. Nevertheless, you can get 13 rands (SAA currency) for one US dollar, so it is a great time cause your money will go far.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#22 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Apr 4, 2017 12:21 pm

I want to thank every one for giving me advice and sounding off. Cheers! :cool:
nyjetsknicks420
Sixth Man
And1: 665

Post#23 » by nyjetsknicks420 » Tue Apr 4, 2017 12:38 pm

Thailand next year Africa the year after for me
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#24 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Apr 4, 2017 1:22 pm

I just got off the phone with the South African Consulate to clarify a few things:

1. Not having a record of your immunizations will not prevent you from entry in South Africa.

2. HOWEVER, if you have traveled to a country within SouthEast Asia and/or South America within the last year, they will INSIST you have proof of a Yellow fever vaccination or you will not be let in. That includes your connecting flight.

Fortunately my flight which stops in Dubai before changing planes does NOT make the list of countries where Yellow Fever is a concern.

Here is the direct phone line: 212-692-2403
Boss_
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 233

Post#25 » by Boss_ » Tue Apr 4, 2017 2:54 pm

isnt white genocide happening in the farms of south africa? like 90 people being killed per day?

latest story http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/world-economy/bury-them-alive-white-south-africans-fear-for-their-future-as-horrific-farm-attacks-escalate/news-story/3a63389a1b0066b6b0b77522c06d6476

dont google image "south africa white genocide"

crime in south africa today, with extremely high rates of child and baby rape. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_farm_attacks 361k dead in 18 year span

https://southafricatoday.net/travel/places-of-interest/10-photos-that-will-inspire-you-not-to-travel-south-africa/

I guess its safe if yer really dark skinned to go there.
E86
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,060

Post#26 » by E86 » Tue Apr 4, 2017 5:53 pm

AmazingJason wrote:Saw a headline that South Africa's credit rating got cut to junk :eek2:

Good time to stretch those USD's :D

Yeah, when I see a devalued currency and political instability I'm thinking vacation savings!

I wouldn't travel to South Africa right now, that place it's about to pop.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#27 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Apr 4, 2017 6:38 pm

Ok, so one of the problems that led to the rise in crime in South Africa was the moment Apartheid ended because occupations and positions outside of the lowest paying jobs were available, so educated Africans from neighboring countries FLOODED South Africa and had a distinct advantage over 2-3 generations of South Africans who did not receive a respectable education under Apartheid.

They were left uneducated and in poverty stricken township without a job.

So in the eyes of the government, these farms and plantations were once upon a time property of South Africa might be a viable option to give something to those who do not command a university education. In other words, low income jobs.

Of course as Americans, we do NOT like the concept of seizing anything but we all know once upon a time those farms weren't owned by white folk.

South Africa has all the resources which drive men to madness. Veins of gold and diamonds could very well be under your home and if they find out, they'll kill you for it. It's have vs have nots.

Believe it or not, crime has slowly declined over the years. Places like Joburg are the NEW NYC when things became affordable and fertile for young entrepreneurs.

Just like any wealthy paradise, it's wrought with crime. Most of the crime occurs in the Townships which most should only venture if they have a guide.

As I understand it, petty crime such as theft, pick pocketing and mugging are in the city late at night.

Not too different from my youth experiences growing up in the city as a guy in his forties. Don't be stupid and flash your stuff/possessions. Don't get f#cked up at a bar and think you can manage home.

Use your wits and common sense.
camillepd
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by camillepd » Tue Apr 4, 2017 9:32 pm

E86 wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:Saw a headline that South Africa's credit rating got cut to junk :eek2:

Yeah, when I see a devalued currency and political instability I'm thinking vacation savings!

The country is far from being politically unstable. The economy has been growing although at not too fast and rate. And the country is definitely not going to pop. Stop listening to the Western media nonsense. Like I said, I have been there a few times and South Africa is easily the most beautiful country in the world.
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#29 » by AmazingJason » Tue Apr 4, 2017 10:11 pm

camillepd wrote:
E86 wrote:

The country is far from being politically unstable. The economy has been growing although at not too fast and rate. And the country is definitely not going to pop. Stop listening to the Western media nonsense. Like I said, I have been there a few times and South Africa is easily the most beautiful country in the world.

Traveling is fine. You experience all the pros, and neglect or are ignorant of the cons. It's only when you live in a place for an extended period that you figure out the truth.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#30 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Apr 4, 2017 10:18 pm

I'm so looking forward to my trip. It's just OOZING out of me. I have a feeling South Africa is going to have a profound effect on me. :)
camillepd
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by camillepd » Tue Apr 4, 2017 10:38 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I'm so looking forward to my trip. It's just OOZING out of me. I have a feeling South Africa is going to have a profound effect on me. :)

Its is. It certainly has on me. Also, apparently to the tens of thousands of expatriate Americans who have moved there permanently. Like I said, go there with an open mind and you will have a blast.
camillepd
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by camillepd » Tue Apr 4, 2017 11:19 pm

Also, found the following experiential statements from foreign tourists who traveled to South Africa:

American Couple (from New Jersey) visiting South Africa:

Chinese couple visit South Africa:

Brazilian Couple go on Safari in South Africa:
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#33 » by EricAnderson » Wed Apr 5, 2017 4:35 am

Hopefully you're not white. It's pretty dangerous for whites over their right now
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#34 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Apr 5, 2017 7:17 am

EricAnderson wrote:Hopefully you're not white. It's pretty dangerous for whites over their right now

Only if you're drinking Pepsi cola with Kendall Jenner.
camillepd
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by camillepd » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:45 am

EricAnderson wrote:Hopefully you're not white. It's pretty dangerous for whites over their right now

Yes, it is especially when Whites make up percent population. Yes, you are right. Millions and millions of innocent White people are under threat.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#36 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Apr 6, 2017 6:18 am

Day One: So after a 23 hr flight (stops in Dubai for connecting) I got a 6-course meal at my hotel in Cape Town.

Day 2 Hitting Robben Island and District Six museum before shopping at Merchants on Long and Table Mountain.

Day 3: Cage diving with Great Whites, hitting a Jazz club.

Day 4: Wine country trip

Day 5: Off to Kruger National Park for 5 days.

Day 11-13: Apartheid museum and Soweto in Joburg.
camillepd
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by camillepd » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:34 pm

Sounds like a great iteniary. Still wondering why a connecting flight through Dubai and not a direct flight on South African Airways directly from JFK to Joburg International?
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#38 » by EricAnderson » Thu Apr 6, 2017 4:34 pm

camillepd wrote:

Yes, it is especially when Whites make up percent population. Yes, you are right. Millions and millions of innocent White people are under threat.

Yeah it seems like white genocide. Scary stuff
camillepd
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by camillepd » Thu Apr 6, 2017 4:41 pm

Well a little White genocide here and there never hurts anyone, right?
camillepd
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by camillepd » Thu Apr 6, 2017 4:51 pm

If White South Africans are being genocide with all of their luxurious lifestyles, Mcmansions, abundant wealth and unearned privileges that I saw in South Africa, can someone please, please quickly genocide me this way? I volunteer to be genocides just like that and I promise I won't complain.

Return to New York Knicks