ImageImageImageImageImage

Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17

Moderators: moocow007, Knickstape1214, magnumt, NoLayupRule, Capn'O, Brooklyn_Yards, Thorn, AllanH20, j4remi, Thugger HBC, GONYK, mrpoetryNmotion

User avatar
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
Posts: 7,510
And1: 412
Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Location: Washington, DC
       

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1221 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:39 pm

moocow007 wrote:
JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:
Just getting my popcorn ready for when Phil Jackson starts sending cryptic messages next year about Kristaps shooting too many threes and how that hurts the offense. I'll remember this thread. Should be fun. :roll:


Phil has a pretty long history of motivating players through criticism. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's who he is.


Which is fine. But it doesn't mean that he should do it. A fat person is what he is but that doesn't mean that they should continue to be what they are. But more importantly, he doesn't have Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant backing him up. He's got Carmelo Anthony, who, ironically, as it appears more and more (based on his teammates reactions and reactions of multiple parties around the league), could have been the guy to back him up (even if not to anywhere near the degree of on court success that MJ and Kobe did for him) and he managed to ostracize him.


Right, I'm not saying it's a good idea; I'm saying it shouldn't surprise us. And he may very well do it to KP too, to see how he responds.
User avatar
NYKBaller
General Manager
Posts: 8,376
And1: 224
Joined: Apr 29, 2004
Location: Southside Jamaica Queens
Contact:

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1222 » by NYKBaller » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 pm

The only difference is phil did it winning 60 games and championships now in new york city media during rebuilding writers can attack him saying look at the teams record
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 11,738
And1: 5,344
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: Melo And His Muleicorn

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1223 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Hey I said the same thing. Whatever issues or problems or inabilities of Anthony doesn't excuse or alter what Jackson is. NY would be better off with both gone...not just one.


Totally agree. I'll settle for PJ sending Melo packing this offseason and then maybe he'll be next. One step at a time.


Or maybe without the Melo cloud hanging over the franchise, and maybe after Phil has learned a lesson or two about New York, the losing will prove to have been worth it, and Phil's vision can start to take shape. And when he leaves because he's just too old and beaten down to do it anymore, he'll leave Knicks fans satisfied with the progress and overall direction, even if they're not in the title picture yet.

That's my hope. And I think it's a very plausible outcome still. I just think Phil's biggest hurdle is not himself, but his detractors. Because I do believe there's an agenda, and I do believe it's the reason he didn't speak to the media this year. The twitter stuff was a mistake. Rosen is an interesting wrinkle. But ultimately, I believe Phil is the man for this job. I knew that the minute Dolan started toting his line, "ask Phil".

I guess in turn, his biggest obstacle will be himself, because it will be up to him to circumnavigate the press and the fans, and subsequently, Dolan, to see this thing through. Phil is eccentric, so it will be difficult, and he hasn't been perfect so far. But I still think the Zen Master is up for the challenge. He's just that intelligent, and he's just that committed.


I hope that turns out to be the case, but so far doesn't seem likely
Phil, Melo, Rose and Noah Suck
User avatar
KnickLeDime
Senior
Posts: 568
And1: 164
Joined: May 03, 2012

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1224 » by KnickLeDime » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:45 pm

NYKBaller wrote:The only difference is phil did it winning 60 games and championships now in new york city media during rebuilding writers can attack him saying look at the teams record

He's been rebuilding for years...he's gone 1.5 decent prospects.
User avatar
NYKBaller
General Manager
Posts: 8,376
And1: 224
Joined: Apr 29, 2004
Location: Southside Jamaica Queens
Contact:

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1225 » by NYKBaller » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:50 pm

KnickLeDime wrote:
NYKBaller wrote:The only difference is phil did it winning 60 games and championships now in new york city media during rebuilding writers can attack him saying look at the teams record

He's been rebuilding for years...he's gone 1.5 decent prospects.


He took over a team mid season that was losing. Didn't have a pick bargnani trade, second year melo injured gets porzingis, next year pick swap like be for real
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
User avatar
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,700
And1: 5,461
Joined: Aug 18, 2013

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1226 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:54 pm

KnickLeDime wrote:
Bill Pidto wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Totally agree. I'll settle for PJ sending Melo packing this offseason and then maybe he'll be next. One step at a time.


Or maybe without the Melo cloud hanging over the franchise, and maybe after Phil has learned a lesson or two about New York, the losing will prove to have been worth it, and Phil's vision can start to take shape. And when he leaves because he's just too old and beaten down to do it anymore, he'll leave Knicks fans satisfied with the progress and overall direction, even if they're not in the title picture yet.

That's my hope. And I think it's a very plausible outcome still. I just think Phil's biggest hurdle is not himself, but his detractors. Because I do believe there's an agenda, and I do believe it's the reason he didn't speak to the media this year. The twitter stuff was a mistake. Rosen is an interesting wrinkle. But ultimately, I believe Phil is the man for this job. I knew that the minute Dolan started toting his line, "ask Phil".

I guess in turn, his biggest obstacle will be himself, because it will be up to him to circumnavigate the press and the fans, and subsequently, Dolan, to see this thing through. Phil is eccentric, so it will be difficult, and he hasn't been perfect so far. But I still think the Zen Master is up for the challenge. He's just that intelligent, and he's just that committed.


Image


Image
User avatar
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,700
And1: 5,461
Joined: Aug 18, 2013

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1227 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:56 pm

NYKBaller wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:
NYKBaller wrote:The only difference is phil did it winning 60 games and championships now in new york city media during rebuilding writers can attack him saying look at the teams record

He's been rebuilding for years...he's gone 1.5 decent prospects.


He took over a team mid season that was losing. Didn't have a pick bargnani trade, second year melo injured gets porzingis, next year pick swap like be for real


Not a lot of critical thinkers here.
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 33,239
And1: 15,739
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Searching for underground point guards
 

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1228 » by Capn'O » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 pm

NYKBaller wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:
NYKBaller wrote:The only difference is phil did it winning 60 games and championships now in new york city media during rebuilding writers can attack him saying look at the teams record

He's been rebuilding for years...he's gone 1.5 decent prospects.


He took over a team mid season that was losing. Didn't have a pick bargnani trade, second year melo injured gets porzingis, next year pick swap like be for real


Melo trade, actually.

Bargs trade was the (swapped) pick from 2016.
Image
Bound for glory
User avatar
KnickLeDime
Senior
Posts: 568
And1: 164
Joined: May 03, 2012

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1229 » by KnickLeDime » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Capn'O wrote:
NYKBaller wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:He's been rebuilding for years...he's gone 1.5 decent prospects.


He took over a team mid season that was losing. Didn't have a pick bargnani trade, second year melo injured gets porzingis, next year pick swap like be for real


Melo trade, actually.

Bargs trade was the (swapped) pick from 2016.


Not to get off on tangent...but, the Barg trade by Grunfeld was an absolute to 2 moves of all time. They gave up a first rounder for him...I swear, if I ever saw Grun on the street I'd kick him straight in the throat.
User avatar
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,700
And1: 5,461
Joined: Aug 18, 2013

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1230 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:04 pm

moocow007 wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Hey I said the same thing. Whatever issues or problems or inabilities of Anthony doesn't excuse or alter what Jackson is. NY would be better off with both gone...not just one.


Agreed again...are we best friends?

See...NOOOOWWW is the time that fat owner Doltan is going to show some patience.


Yeah talk about not being able to do anything right. The one time you want him to interfere he doesn't. :lol:


I would say it's more like- the one time he does the right thing and doesn't interfere, the fans want him to. Because Knicks fans are masochists.
User avatar
Knicksfan1992
Head Coach
Posts: 6,063
And1: 4,137
Joined: Jun 14, 2012
         

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1231 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Capn'O wrote:
NYKBaller wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:He's been rebuilding for years...he's gone 1.5 decent prospects.


He took over a team mid season that was losing. Didn't have a pick bargnani trade, second year melo injured gets porzingis, next year pick swap like be for real


Melo trade, actually.

Bargs trade was the (swapped) pick from 2016.


Having any sort of 1st rd pick last year would have helped tremendously. Hard to hold it against Phil that there's not enough young talent on the roster when he's only had essentially 2 1st rounders to draft in 3 years so far and one was from a trade that was universally praised at the time.
OVOXO

Drizzy Drake
Aaliyah
Noah "40" Shebib -producer
Fabolous
Kid Cudi
User avatar
KnickLeDime
Senior
Posts: 568
And1: 164
Joined: May 03, 2012

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1232 » by KnickLeDime » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:
Agreed again...are we best friends?

See...NOOOOWWW is the time that fat owner Doltan is going to show some patience.


Yeah talk about not being able to do anything right. The one time you want him to interfere he doesn't. :lol:


I would say it's more like- the one time he does the right thing and doesn't interfere, the fans want him to. Because Knicks fans are masochists.


I've concluded you don't know ****...;)
User avatar
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,700
And1: 5,461
Joined: Aug 18, 2013

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1233 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm

KnickLeDime wrote:
JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Yeah talk about not being able to do anything right. The one time you want him to interfere he doesn't. :lol:


Who should Dolan hire? Who do you think he would hire?

I have no problem with giving Phil the boot, if we were to replace him with someone better. As Knicks fans we should all realize by now that "anyone" is not necessarily an improvement.


This is true...


You're damn right it's true. Give me RC Buford and Pop as coach and I'm all for it. But guess what... ain't nobody rushing to come and replace Phil in the Garden. Especially not someone of that caliber.

This is why NY needed an unorthodox man like Phil to take the reigns. Someone with a wealth of basketball knowledge and experience, and balls made of cast iron. This is no walk in the park, buddy.

Be careful what you wish for.
User avatar
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,700
And1: 5,461
Joined: Aug 18, 2013

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1234 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 pm

KnickLeDime wrote:
Bill Pidto wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Yeah talk about not being able to do anything right. The one time you want him to interfere he doesn't. :lol:


I would say it's more like- the one time he does the right thing and doesn't interfere, the fans want him to. Because Knicks fans are masochists.


I've concluded you don't know ****...;)


Image
Kinglee
Rookie
Posts: 1,051
And1: 411
Joined: Feb 20, 2017

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1235 » by Kinglee » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:52 am

battabing10 wrote:
Bill Pidto wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
You don't put your best offensive player on the bench. Your knowledge is lacking. Why the **** is Carmelo coming off the bench even a thought? It's dumb as ****, no matter what team he's on.


Maybe because the only thing he does is score and look to score, and doesn't do it very efficiently either.

Take away the rest of his career and accomplishments, the current version of Melo is a prime candidate for a 6th man role on a good team. He simply doesn't do enough of anything else to be starting on a team with real aspirations, and certainly is no longer the type of player you continue to try and build around. "Team's best offensive player" is also becoming more and more of a stretch.


knicks can be a .500 ball club next year just think of how many games they lost in the last few seconds cause they couldnt get stops. at least ten games could have gone the other way. you replace rose and melo with two decent defenders like baker and thomas and you get better right away. yeah i know "we lose all those points" well how has that worked for the knicks??? i even go a step further and say if melo come off the bench in that scenario knicks make the playoffs.


What the ****
User avatar
dakomish23
RealGM
Posts: 17,112
And1: 8,083
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Location: Empire State
     

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1236 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:33 am

Capn'O wrote:
NYKBaller wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:He's been rebuilding for years...he's gone 1.5 decent prospects.


He took over a team mid season that was losing. Didn't have a pick bargnani trade, second year melo injured gets porzingis, next year pick swap like be for real


Melo trade, actually.

Bargs trade was the (swapped) pick from 2016.


We would of picked 2 picks later. We didn't because of the Bargs trade.

I still can't believe we sent 2 ends for that clown let alone a 1st. To me, maybe the most inexcusable move by this organization since we traded Ewing. And there are a lot of them
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter


2016-17 Knicks

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
User avatar
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
Posts: 11,592
And1: 5,746
Joined: May 19, 2015
Location: Where The Wild Things Are
       

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1237 » by El Poochio » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:55 pm

IN PHIL WE TRUST
Image
IllmaticHandler®

Doggy Style Records

P: Pharrell
G: Snoop Doggy Dogg
G: Ice Cube
G: Big K.R.I.T
S: Amy Winehouse
User avatar
APE
Sophomore
Posts: 157
And1: 98
Joined: May 25, 2015
       

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1238 » by APE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:27 pm

He speaks, we weep
NYKAL
Head Coach
Posts: 6,570
And1: 1,084
Joined: Nov 10, 2004
Location: LAND O NOD

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1239 » by NYKAL » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:08 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:George Karl (still a famous dbag) on Melo:

"Coaching him meant working around his defense and compensating for his attitude."

No WAY! I mean, we've never seen any of those aspects of Melo during his time as a Knickl :noway:


George Karl lost all credibility regarding players long before he Coached the Nuggets. His former players seem to loath him. Even went as far as saying he preferred to coach only roll players, that he couldn't deal with Star personalities. If that's the case, dude should be coaching for some College or HS.
User avatar
moocow007
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 87,210
And1: 13,570
Joined: Jan 07, 2002
Location: In front of the computer, where else?
       

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1240 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Fixed

El Poochio wrote:IN PHIL WE TRUST SINCE WE HAVE NO CHOICE
Legends Draft
C:Nate Thurmond/DeAndre Jordan
PF:Shawn Kemp/Blake Griffin/Josh Smith
SF:Elgin Baylor/Paul Pressey/Cliff Hagan/Larry Kenon
SG:Dale Ellis/Hersey Hawkins/Jason Richardson
PG:Magic Johnson/Derrick Rose/Lenny Wilkens

Return to New York Knicks