ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Kendrick Lamar DAMN.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Re: OT: Kendrick Lamar DAMN. 

Post#101 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:42 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
Mecca wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:I need beats with energy..I like DNA and a few other songs but other then that the beats bore me.

If you don't think Fear or Duckworth have energy, I don't know what to tell you. That's 9th Wonder and Alchemist production. That's the gold standard for hip-hop. :crazy:

I said "and a few other songs" but too many songs just have boring beats imo

If anything, Mike Will Made It is known for having beats with energy. That was the clear difference in this album. DJ Dahi and Sounwave are elite producers in the game as well.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,372

Post#102 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:54 pm

honestly i think yall need to chill out when calling each other stans of whoever you like
like who cares?
just do you and keep it moving.
not everyone is going to have the same taste in music
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
KnickLeDime
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#103 » by KnickLeDime » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:56 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:honestly i think yall need to chill out when calling each other stans of whoever you like
like who cares?
just do you and keep it moving.
not everyone is going to have the same taste in music

Even if folks are into Gloria Estefan or Yanni...

It's all good...

whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#104 » by whocares1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:02 pm

So what's everybody's Top 5 songs on the album?

I'm going

Element
Love
DNA
Humble
5th is hard maybe Pride.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,411
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#105 » by E-Balla » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:32 pm

whocares1 wrote:So what's everybody's Top 5 songs on the album?

I'm going

Element
Love
DNA
Humble
5th is hard maybe Pride.

Its strange I don't even like LOVE (at all) and ELEMENT is good but top 5 is a stretch imo. I'll go:

1. PRIDE. (One of my top 5 K. Dot songs right now)
2. FEAR. (Best song lyrically and conceptually)
3. YAH. (So damn smooth)
4. XXX. (The first 2:20 of the song isn't even good imo but man the 2nd part of this song is on another level)
5. DUCKWORTH. (Best storytelling song on here)

Its a real good album tho. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10. I thought it was his worst album earlier this week but listening to it more its definitely better than TPAB.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#106 » by E-Balla » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:48 pm

Mecca wrote:
Fury wrote:
Mecca wrote:
I wouldn't call it stealing. Danny's XXX had a different central theme compared to Kendrick's

Took DNA too!

The thing is, the song's are so different, and DNA pretty much what the album revolves around. It isn't a cadence or hook being jacked yah know.

You gonna calm down and take a joke Mecca? Sheesh.

That said Danny's XXX > Kung Fu Kenny's. XXX is one of my top 5 intro songs to any album I've ever heard. Song is bonkers. Dynasty Intro, We Got It For Cheap, Animal Instinct, XXX, It's Dark And Hell Is Hot Intro might be the top 5 on first thought.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,975

Post#107 » by Fury » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:00 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Fury wrote:
Took DNA too!

The thing is, the song's are so different, and DNA pretty much what the album revolves around. It isn't a cadence or hook being jacked yah know.

That said Danny's XXX > Kung Fu Kenny's. XXX is one of my top 5 intro songs to any album I've ever heard. Song is bonkers. Dynasty Intro, We Got It For Cheap, Animal Instinct, XXX, It's Dark And Hell Is Hot Intro might be the top 5 on first thought.

30 is probably my fav closing song ever

And paper trails 56 bars another contender
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#108 » by E-Balla » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:21 pm

Fury wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:

30 is probably my fav closing song ever

And paper trails 56 bars another contender

"Sent ya ***** a dick pic and now she need glasses. Turn your ***** Slick Rick right now if I flash it." :rofl:

Gotta love Danny. I'm mad he hasn't made anything nearly as good since though. It's hard to match a classic like XXX though.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#109 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:50 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Fury wrote:
Took DNA too!

Thought he was being serious, tbh. I forgot Fury is the board's comedian. I was also still flustered by whocares' comments so I was outta pocket.

XXX is a crazy song from both of them. Danny Brown has had back to back spectacular albums between XXX and AE. I like Danny a lot, but I won't say which one is better. Danny experimented a lot on AE and it worked out brilliantly. Def think he's one of the smartest rappers in the game.
Brooklyn Nets
Mecca
RealGM

Post#110 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:54 pm

E-Balla wrote:
whocares1 wrote:So what's everybody's Top 5 songs on the album?

I'm going

Element
Love
DNA
Humble
5th is hard maybe Pride.

Its strange I don't even like LOVE (at all) and ELEMENT is good but top 5 is a stretch imo. I'll go:

1. PRIDE. (One of my top 5 K. Dot songs right now)
2. FEAR. (Best song lyrically and conceptually)
3. YAH. (So damn smooth)
4. XXX. (The first 2:20 of the song isn't even good imo but man the 2nd part of this song is on another level)
5. DUCKWORTH. (Best storytelling song on here)

Its a real good album tho. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10. I thought it was his worst album earlier this week but listening to it more its definitely better than TPAB.

1. FEAR
2. PRIDE
3. XXX
4. DUCKWORTH
5. DNA

is mine as of now. I was hesitant at first when I saw U2 on the feature list, but I was so relieved when I heard the track. That track give me the chills. Love how Bono attacks the track. Bono over Mike Will Made It production and it sound dope. Can't make that up.

Fear is Kendrick's most relatable track lyrically. And Alchemist arguably a top 5 producer of all time if you ask me.

Duckworth was typical 9th Wonder work. Overall, there are so many layers to this album that it's still difficult to judge. The concept isn't as transparent as past albums. The blind lady, the gun shots, etc.. I need more time with this album. GKMC will always be his illmatic just because it was his first album, but I'd argue this is his best.
Brooklyn Nets
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#111 » by E-Balla » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Mecca wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Thought he was being serious, tbh. I forgot Fury is the board's comedian. I was also still flustered by whocares' comments so I was outta pocket.

XXX is a crazy song from both of them. Danny Brown has had back to back spectacular albums between XXX and AE. I like Danny a lot, but I won't say which one is better. Danny experimented a lot on AE and it worked out brilliantly. Def think he's one of the smartest rappers in the game.

Not a fan of AE at all (Really Doe is crazy tho) but like you said its experimental... Just not my cup of tea. You're forgetting Old tho. Old wasn't bad (I still listen to Float On sometimes) but not close to XXX, Black and Brown, and Greatest Rapper Ever.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#112 » by Mecca » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:04 am

E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:
E-Balla wrote:You gonna calm down and take a joke Mecca? Sheesh.

Not a fan of AE at all (Really Doe is crazy tho) but like you said its experimental... Just not my cup of tea. You're forgetting Old tho. Old wasn't bad (I still listen to Float On sometimes) but not close to XXX, Black and Brown, and Greatest Rapper Ever.

AE is one of those albums that aren't for everyone. Felt like it was a project you gotta spin a decent amount to pick up the vibe to. Albums be like that for me sometimes.

TBH, didn't get on Danny until XXX, which I loved. I probably should go back into his catalogue a bit deeper.

Really Doe one of the craziest tracks of the year. Earl Sweatshirt stole the show with his feature, though.
Brooklyn Nets
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#113 » by E-Balla » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:14 am

Mecca wrote:

1. FEAR
2. PRIDE
3. XXX
4. DUCKWORTH
5. DNA

is mine as of now. I was hesitant at first when I saw U2 on the feature list, but I was so relieved when I heard the track. That track give me the chills. Love how Bono attacks the track. Bono over Mike Will Made It production and it sound dope. Can't make that up.

Fear is Kendrick's most relatable track lyrically. And Alchemist arguably a top 5 producer of all time if you ask me.

Duckworth was typical 9th Wonder work. Overall, there are so many layers to this album that it's still difficult to judge. The concept isn't as transparent as past albums. The blind lady, the gun shots, etc.. I need more time with this album. GKMC will always be his illmatic just because it was his first album, but I'd argue this is his best.

His first album is his Illmatic... Section.80. 16 tracks with no Poetic Justices. Part of what makes Illmatic Illmatic is how trim and perfect the album is. No song need to be added or taken off. Tammy's Song or the Spiteful Chant are the 2 worst songs on S.80 and they're way better than Poetic Justice which is average at best. Remember the worst song on Illmatic is One Time 4 Your Mind (I think we all agree with that I've never see anyone say otherwise) and its hot as hell.

And real question; am I the only person that doesn't like the beat change in DNA? Its way better before the beat drops and that just takes some out of it for me. Like you cut off a 9/10 song before it finished to play a 6/10 song.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#114 » by Mecca » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:18 am

E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:

1. FEAR
2. PRIDE
3. XXX
4. DUCKWORTH
5. DNA

His first album is his Illmatic... Section.80. 16 tracks with no Poetic Justices. Part of what makes Illmatic Illmatic is how trim and perfect the album is. No song need to be added or taken off. Tammy's Song or the Spiteful Chant are the 2 worst songs on S.80 and they're way better than Poetic Justice which is average at best. Remember the worst song on Illmatic is One Time 4 Your Mind (I think we all agree with that I've never see anyone say otherwise) and its hot as hell.

And real question; am I the only person that doesn't like the beat change in DNA? Its way better before the beat drops and that just takes some out of it for me. Like you cut off a 9/10 song before it finished to play a 6/10 song.

TBH, I'd agree with you as someone that is hardcore about the sport of hip-hop, but from the casual fan's perspective, GKMC was his first official album, thus it'll be the album that everyone associates him with. That was where he became mainstream, got critical acclaim, awards, etc. OD might be my favorite Kendrick project, but that was before the masses knew his game.

Poetic was the worst song on that project but he needed that Drake feature for the radio stations. Hot 97 gobbled that track up.

I didn't like the beat change either, but it's the new trend in hip-hop right now. His energy was infectious on it, though.
Brooklyn Nets
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#115 » by E-Balla » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:21 am

Mecca wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:

AE is one of those albums that aren't for everyone. Felt like it was a project you gotta spin a decent amount to pick up the vibe to. Albums be like that for me sometimes.

TBH, didn't get on Danny until XXX, which I loved. I probably should go back into his catalogue a bit deeper.

Really Doe one of the craziest tracks of the year. Earl Sweatshirt stole the show with his feature, though.

I called it Greatest Rapper Ever and screwed up. That was the opening track it was called The Hybrid. But you should listen immediately. Crazy hot. I heard him on the Hawaiian Snow mixtape by Tony Yayo I looked him up and found The Hybrid (which I think is technically an album). This is the first solo song of his I heard:

And my favorite early Danny Brown song (I'm a Chrono Trigger fan):

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,354

Post#116 » by robillionaire » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:22 am

Album of the year so far, well for me at least
Mecca
RealGM

Post#117 » by Mecca » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:26 am

E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Not a fan of AE at all (Really Doe is crazy tho) but like you said its experimental... Just not my cup of tea. You're forgetting Old tho. Old wasn't bad (I still listen to Float On sometimes) but not close to XXX, Black and Brown, and Greatest Rapper Ever.

I called it Greatest Rapper Ever and screwed up. That was the opening track it was called The Hybrid. But you should listen immediately. Crazy hot. I heard him on the Hawaiian Snow mixtape by Tony Yayo I looked him up and found The Hybrid (which I think is technically an album). This is the first solo song of his I heard:

And my favorite early Danny Brown song (I'm a Chrono Trigger fan):

I'ma give it the bus test on my way to the city tomorrow for sure. I'll download it tonight.
Brooklyn Nets
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,354

Post#118 » by robillionaire » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:31 am

That sample is from the world map of ff7 tho not chrono trigger *ducks*
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#119 » by E-Balla » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:35 am

robillionaire wrote:That sample is from the world map of ff7 tho not chrono trigger *ducks*

Damn I completely **** up my 90s JRPGs. :nonono:
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#120 » by whocares1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:46 am

E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:

1. FEAR
2. PRIDE
3. XXX
4. DUCKWORTH
5. DNA

Poetic Justice was a good song. GKMC > anything else he's dropped.

Return to New York Knicks