ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo Trade Thread Offseason Edition 1

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,371

Re: Melo Trade Thread Offseason Edition 1 

Post#21 » by god shammgod » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:16 pm

duetta wrote:The key to any Anthony trade is a Cleveland collapse. If Cleveland goes down even in the Eastern finals (to Boston), then the odds of the Knicks getting back fair value for Anthony increase exponentially. Love has to become available for the Knicks to get a good package back for Anthony - and Lebron has to become desperate.

i've wondered about this myself. but i think he would just keep love if he could get him. it's a good trade but it's not really what direction we should be going in.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#22 » by duetta » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:20 pm

god shammgod wrote:i've wondered about this myself. but i think he would just keep love if he could get him. it's a good trade but it's not really what direction we should be going in.

My idea would be to send Love elsewhere for picks and players.
Handledatruth
Head Coach
And1: 1,719

Post#23 » by Handledatruth » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:30 pm

swisscheeseD wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:I would love to find a way to get Ingram from the Lakers....would even take back Deng's contract to do it. Worth the risk imo.

Otherwise I'm down for 2 unprotected future picks and filler from the Clippers. Unless another team has a better offer.

You're not getting Ingram from L.A, and I highly doubt you're getting Russell.

The best and most reasonable deal I can see being had with the Lakers that all sides would sign off on is...
We7o for Julius Randle, Luol Deng's contract and Hou 2017 1st (#28)

Depends on whether or not they lose their pick. Top 3 pick gets them a choice of either Fultz, Ball, or Josh Jackson rendering either Ingram or Russell as redundant young players. I mean I guess they can look for other takers, but they are going to have to give up one of those guys sooner or later. Now if they lose their draft pick, that's a different convo.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,538

Post#24 » by Capn'O » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:33 pm

JXL wrote:
Jellybeans wrote:
JXL wrote:Draft night:

Melo agrees to a trade to the Portland Trail Blazers

Melo, Lee, and KOQ for Aminu, Jake Layman, Shabazz Napier, Portland's 2017 pick (from Memphis), 2018 1st and 2nd

WHO SAYS NO?

LaLa

She better get used to the northwest.

I can show her some of the better hiking spots.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,538

Post#25 » by Capn'O » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:34 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Over/Under is currently set at 4.5 threads before the start of free agency (which is when I predict he will be traded to the Clips for Rivers/Crawford/Johnson, 21 and 23 firsts, and a 2nd)

That has Brooklyn trade written all over it if those picks are unprotected. By 2021, the Knicks depending on how they draft could be a playoff team. Melo and CP3 will still be ringless, old and losing by then....on their way out of the league.

I've been saying. If it's available, I'd take 2021 and a 2nd and run. The Clips have very few options to improve their team as their stars decline.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#26 » by blueNorange » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:I would love to find a way to get Ingram from the Lakers....would even take back Deng's contract to do it. Worth the risk imo.

Otherwise I'm down for 2 unprotected future picks and filler from the Clippers. Unless another team has a better offer.

The best and most reasonable deal I can see being had with the Lakers that all sides would sign off on is...

Probably not, but the Lakers would have to give up more then that if we are taking Deng.

If we help Lakers clear enough salary though maybe it would be tempting for them to give up Ingram. Long shot, but I'd try.

melo's value in the league is low, he's not a star anymore. he's a spot up shooter that plays non existent defense.

knicks are going to get the short end, but it's a bullet you bite.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,534

Post#27 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:36 pm

duetta wrote:The key to any Anthony trade is a Cleveland collapse. If Cleveland goes down even in the Eastern finals (to Boston), then the odds of the Knicks getting back fair value for Anthony increase exponentially. Love has to become available for the Knicks to get a good package back for Anthony - and Lebron has to become desperate.

I think this is correct. Lebron irrationally loves Melo. Most league insiders know he isn't anything more than an above average player. If Cleveland gets bumped out early, and we would need a first round upset, I could see the opportunity Cleveland panics. Besides them who else wants Melo?
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#28 » by Pointgod » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:36 pm

I think the best Knicks can hope to get for Melo is a low first round pick.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#29 » by DaddyCool19 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:36 pm

Melo, Lee, and KOQ for Aminu, Jake Layman, Shabazz Napier, Portland's 2017 pick (from Memphis), 2018 1st and 2nd

WHO SAYS NO?

The Salary Cap.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,963

Post#30 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:43 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:

Probably not, but the Lakers would have to give up more then that if we are taking Deng.

If we help Lakers clear enough salary though maybe it would be tempting for them to give up Ingram. Long shot, but I'd try.

melo's value in the league is low, he's not a star anymore. he's a spot up shooter that plays non existent defense.

knicks are going to get the short end, but it's a bullet you bite.

Most likely we will get the short end. But if anyone will give us a good deal for Melo its Magic. He would be one of my first calls for sure. If anything he owes us one for recommending Isiah
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#31 » by CourtsideTV » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:44 pm

orlando needs a 'go to scorer'.

send u anyone but aaron gordon and payton.
Work Hard
swisscheeseD
NCAA Bracket Challenge Champion
And1: 4,239

Post#32 » by swisscheeseD » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Handledatruth wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:

Depends on whether or not they lose their pick. Top 3 pick gets them a choice of either Fultz, Ball, or Josh Jackson rendering either Ingram or Russell as redundant young players. I mean I guess they can look for other takers, but they are going to have to give up one of those guys sooner or later. Now if they lose their draft pick, that's a different convo.

Ball makes neither Russell or Ingram redundant; and is the most likeliest of the 3 to end up in L.A. Even if Fultz ends up being the selection, they could look to move Russell, but in that event, it will be in a package that nets a better player over a larger window than Me7o. Same with Ingram should they select JJackson.

Paul George is their main prize, whether by trade, or preferably by Free Agency. They need to make themselves an attractive situation, but also free up cap flexibility to make it happen. They have a decision to make on Julius Randle with an extension looming. He is the likeliest of the Lakers prospects to be moved due to their financial situation. They DO NOT "have to give up one of those guys (Russell or Ingram) sooner or later", they'd still be under contract on the rookie scale at the time of PG's Free Agency. Another reason why Randle is the guy to shed Deng/Mozgov (or at least turn them into an upgrade or shorter contracts).
Chicago Bulls

PG: Kemba Walker / T.Rozier / B.Wannamaker
SG: Donte DiVincenzo / T.Ross / P.Connaughton
SF: Kawhi Leonard / R.O’Neale / Caleb Martin
PF: Draymond Green / B.Portis / A.Aminu
C: Jonas Valanciunas / M.Harrell / F.Kaminsky
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,212

Post#33 » by KnicksGod » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Ralphie96
Starter
And1: 54

Post#34 » by Ralphie96 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:01 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:

Deal. But I doubt Melo goes to the Lakers if he wants to "win" as his main priority in agreeing to a trade.

didn't paul george basically say he would want to go the lakers after his contract expires in 2018?

if so.. lakers prob have no incentive to trade for melo (don't think they had much incentive if any, anyway)
sogood
Analyst
And1: 5,095

Post#35 » by sogood » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:17 pm

I do think that Magic would want Melo but no chance Lakers trades Ingram or Russell with their improvement throughout the season. Ingram is going to be a nightmare once he fills out his body and they finally figure out that Russell is more Brandon Roy than Steve Nash. He's putting up something like 19/5 since the break.

Something involving Randle and that Houston pick would be interesting. 13/8/3.6 in only 28 minutes a night.
david_james
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#36 » by david_james » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm telling you, we need to wait before thinking anything will happen. I think a huge key to this whole situation is Wade and how the Clippers fare in the playoffs. If LA gets bounced in Round 1 or even Round 2, which is likely, it's possible they finally look to blow that team up and retool, not rebuild and I fully believe Wade opts out of Chicago and can definitely see him landing with the Clippers. Add him to Paul and them trying to land Melo is serious and I really think a 3 way sign and trade involving Blake Griffin going elsewhere could be something to keep an eye on.
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#37 » by MelosSoreWrist » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:55 pm

JXL wrote:
GONYK wrote:

WHO SAYS NO?

Melo

He still gets to play with Lillard, McCollum, Crabbe, Evan Turner (LOL), Nurkic. It's still a good team that lets Melo get to shoot wherever and whenever.

Aldridge didnt fit in well and wasnt happy, I doubt Melo would be. I see almost everyone involved saying no.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#38 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:34 pm

First of all, there's no way Melo agrees to go to a podunk town like Portland, Memphis, Charlotte especially after his wife commented how Denver was "limiting." Um, Denver is a swank, cosmopolitan town. It ain't New York or LA, which is where I am going with this...

The Los Angeles Lakers aren't going to take Melo. Magic said, "This is going to take a while." In other words, he wants all the bad contracts off the books. He is going to build slowly through the draft, establishing the core FIRST at a modest salary. He didn't hesitate to trade the Lakers' best player Lou Williams to Houston, which tells you that he wants his franchise guy to build around.

The Los Angeles Clippers are probably the most likely destination. The Clippers shoveling their excrement in Austin Rivers, Jamal Crawford and a future first rounder won't even come close to fair value but...the Knicks are relieved of their headache.
crazybranman360
Starter
And1: 37

Post#39 » by crazybranman360 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Knicks Get: Evan Turner, Ed Davis, Austin Rivers
Blazers Get: Jamal Crawford
Clippers Get: Melo

I think this is the best deal we can get for Melo. I don't see Cleveland beating this offer nor do I see Melo accepting a trade anywhere besides LAC or Cleveland. Turner, Rivers, and Davis aren't really talented players but I don' they get in the way or hurt the team. If we are building the team around Pozingis, the triangle, and perhaps whoever we draft this year, those three can all be quality/average/fine role players in said system. 3 average roles players is not a bad return for a guy who will only accept a trade to two or three teams and have negative trade value overall.

What do you guys think. Can we do any better than this?
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#40 » by MelosSoreWrist » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:52 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Over/Under is currently set at 4.5 threads before the start of free agency (which is when I predict he will be traded to the Clips for Rivers/Crawford/Johnson, 21 and 23 firsts, and a 2nd)

That has Brooklyn trade written all over it if those picks are unprotected. By 2021, the Knicks depending on how they draft could be a playoff team. Melo and CP3 will still be ringless, old and losing by then....on their way out of the league.

My personal theory is that we were all set to make the Clippers trade, but at the deadline we could only trade for the 21 first, so we waited until we could trade for the 23 as well to have two firsts instead of one

I like this thought and I agree with Thugger. That Clipper team could fall off a cliff soon. They have aging players, no good prospects and they traded away most of their future draft picks. Added bonus, it will help with the Knick tank next season. Change the 2nd rounder to a pick swap and Knicks could potentially have (if I could dream) Porzingis, Fox, Porter Jr about to enter their primes as the Knicks sit on 3 early lottery picks.

And I could easily see Doc Rivers mortgaging their future for a desperation shot now. Give them Melo and Lee and scoop those picks.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?

Return to New York Knicks