ImageImageImageImageImage

Did we misread Dantoni?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Re: Did we misread Dantoni? 

Post#301 » by Stannis » Mon May 15, 2017 5:34 am

Big deal.... MDA needs certain players to play in a system. All good coaches do. It's just player preferences. You have to envision a style of play and develop good chemistry.

It's not his offense that needs work. Nor that fact that he's specific with the players he puts on the floor. It's just the fact that he doesn't emphasis defense (like Cookies said). That's what makes him a great coach and not an elite coach/ring winner.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#302 » by Stannis » Mon May 15, 2017 5:52 am

Don't get me wrong, Steve Nash was great. But his prime years started with MDA. Some people make it as if he was already an elite point guard with the Mavericks, and MDA just lucked out with the Suns signing him. MDA developed Nash into something more (elite guard like some of you keep saying). And there was just good chemistry between two.

And tbh, I don't recall MDA ever having an elite point guard other than Nash (which he made into an elite point guard). So I don't get this "he needs and elite point guard to succeed". He had Nash with the Suns. He never had an elite guard with the Knicks. No success, but there was progress before Melo milked the team. Failed with the Lakers (no coach other than Phil Jackson was going to have success with an old and stubborn Kobe Bryant). But he's having success with the Rockets and that team doesn't even have a real point guard.
Free Palestine
Crackerjack465
Senior
And1: 673

Post#303 » by Crackerjack465 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:55 pm

Maybe we did misread him, but when I was watching the SAS/HOU matchup, where Manu blocked Harden on the final shot, the only thing I thought of was "there is the good ol' Dantoni inbound plays I used to love"...
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#304 » by NYKAL » Tue May 16, 2017 4:56 pm

i don't see how you can misread someone who can only succeed when all the stars align. The stars never aligned in NY, he never had the right set of players to run his gimmick offense, which is bad but, his inability to adapt to what he had was an even worse offense.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#305 » by MP4LIFE » Tue May 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Adapt to what he had?

You mean, trash?

Every coach has a system. Even Pop has a system. A great coach builds a culture and a system that is successful and stick through it. Pop does it, Phil did it, everyone does it. D'Antoni didn't reinvent the wheel or do anything different. It's just that his system isn't founded on defense and what's what win championships. He's still a better coach than ISO-Woodson and Derek Fisher.
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#306 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:07 am

SMAC-K wrote:Ward and Childs were not good PG's they were basically on the same level as Chris Duhon. If you put them on Dantoni's Knicks the results would have been exactly the same as it was with Duhon.

Marbury was way better than any of those guys. Put Marbury on a team with healthy H2O, Spreewell, LJ, Camby and you don't think they would have been better than they were with Ward?

I disagree I think Ward and Childs would have been a better fit than Duhon especially Wards speed and vision. Let's not forget he was a college QB. Plus Duhon was on the tale end of his career while Ward and Childs were both young and growing. Plus everyone on those 90s Knick teams knew there role. What was anyone's role on the D'Antoni teams?
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#307 » by rammagen » Wed May 17, 2017 1:59 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
rammagen wrote:
basketboule wrote:

Years later a doctor will tell you that you've been sitting in the lottery with an IQ of 48 while Pringles fully resurrected his career by taking a band of scrubs to the conference semis and (hence rightfully) winning coach of the year.

Your jealousy is pathetic.

not jealousy but it is a fact when faced with a team without a star pg or a pg that can dominate the ball that system he runs is crap. There is defense coached Houston about to go on a run of three yrs f getting to the playoffs and when Harden has an off game or series then they will be bounced out. That system does not win NBA championships. If I did miss something please show me Antoni's rings?

MDA proved he doesn't need a "star PG" to run his system successfully. But like any good team, like any other competent coach, he also needs good players.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

reading is fundamental I said star pg or a pg that can dominant the ball. Where he had the team on a down note why did the next coach win 50 games with older Pgs?
Antoni does not coach defense he road Lin into the ground to go on the winning streak
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#308 » by Amsterdam » Fri May 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:D'Antoni is an offensive genius. Again he needs a a highly skilled point guard to make it work.

We thought it was Lin but didnt last long enough to confirm, whether or not it was Genie in the bottle.

Look at Lin now in Brooklyn. You don't think the Knicks need a guy like Lin on this team?

Absolutely!

Tell you what, in hindsight and in my humble opinion Lin would have been more valuable (on and off the court) to the Knicks franchise than Melo has been.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#309 » by Greenie » Fri May 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Stannis wrote:Don't get me wrong, Steve Nash was great. But his prime years started with MDA. Some people make it as if he was already an elite point guard with the Mavericks, and MDA just lucked out with the Suns signing him. MDA developed Nash into something more (elite guard like some of you keep saying). And there was just good chemistry between two.

And tbh, I don't recall MDA ever having an elite point guard other than Nash (which he made into an elite point guard). So I don't get this "he needs and elite point guard to succeed". He had Nash with the Suns. He never had an elite guard with the Knicks. No success, but there was progress before Melo milked the team. Failed with the Lakers (no coach other than Phil Jackson was going to have success with an old and stubborn Kobe Bryant). But he's having success with the Rockets and that team doesn't even have a real point guard.

Stop it.

Melo didn't milk a thing and Kobe was right. Mike ran 9 dudes in the playoffs 9. The most stubborn coach we have ever had was Mike D'Antoni. This is the same fool that ran away from the Suns because Kerr wanted to go get a defensive assistant. That's the same Kerr posters bitch over til this day for choosing GS over us.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#310 » by Greenie » Fri May 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:D'Antoni is an offensive genius. Again he needs a a highly skilled point guard to make it work.

We thought it was Lin but didnt last long enough to confirm, whether or not it was Genie in the bottle.

Look at Lin now in Brooklyn. You don't think the Knicks need a guy like Lin on this team?

Absolutely!

Tell you what, in hindsight and in my humble opinion Lin would have been more valuable (on and off the court) to the Knicks franchise than Melo has been.

Are you high?

Lin has sucked in Brooklyn.
His best year was on the bench for Charlotte.
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#311 » by Amsterdam » Sat May 27, 2017 4:05 am

Greenie wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

Absolutely!

Are you high?

Lin has sucked in Brooklyn.
His best year was on the bench for Charlotte.

Greenie,
Why you reacted? Cause Melo's name was brought up? Your man-crush on Melo has never dissipated hey?

Lol.
Kurt Rambis
Senior
And1: 483

Post#312 » by Kurt Rambis » Sun May 28, 2017 1:30 am

D'antoni is a great coach. However he needs someone with point guard skills because his system is PnR heavy. It works because it depends on penetration like any good offense.

Problem is his system is one dimensional. When they match with good PnR defending team, its all about shooting 3s above hands of defenders.

Now really good PnR heavy offense was Sloans Jazz which was Proto-Spurs.

Return to New York Knicks