ImageImageImageImageImage

WOJ: Knicks Had Opportunity To Sign Chris Paul If Not For Alienation Of Carmelo

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Re: WOJ: Knicks Had Opportunity To Sign Chris Paul If Not For Alienation Of Carmelo 

Post#201 » by MP4LIFE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:57 pm

FirePjax wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
FirePjax wrote:
Uhm Walsh also said he made the Melo trade. So who do you believe, a mumbling bumbling Dolan or a articulate and poised Walsh? Walsh did the trade. He also made bad trades, signed ama're to one of the worst contracts in nba history and foolishly traded away picks. Walsh sucked here.

What does mumbling and bumbling have to do with the truth? Dolan already slipped and admitted what everyone else knew.

Walsh is a classy man. Never said a bad word about anybody. He wouldn't throw Dolan under the bus.

Some fans still live in denial though.

Yeah you're one of them. Dolan and Walsh made contradicting statements and you choose to believe Dolan because you think Walsh is classy? I heard the Dolan interview. He was muttering and stuttering throughout the interview. It's more plausible to believe Dolan made a mistake as opposed to the polished Walsh. But believe what you want. It's ancient history as far as I'm concerned.

Ancient history yet still brought up routinely by the Melo brigade that needs any and all excuses to blame someone else.
J_LA
Junior
And1: 289

Re: WOJ: Knicks Had Opportunity To Sign Chris Paul If Not For Alienation Of Carmelo 

Post#202 » by J_LA » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Greenie wrote:
BasicBall wrote:The way Phil has handled Melo has been wack. But then the way Melo has been resistant to how Phil tends to get down is wack too. I mean Melo had to hear how Kobe views Phil, how Shaq views Phil, MJ, etc. Why has he been so unwilling to adjust HIS game just a little bit. We all have watched Melo play, he actually does hold the ball too long and he actually doesn't make his teammates better. But then you see him have a game where he is making quick decisions with the ball so clearly he has it in him to do it. I have a hard time NOT seeing Melo being here next season. But I tell ya what, IF "The Logo" in LA don't trade for him this summer, Melo may have to re-evaluate his game lol. I mean JR Smith even said and I am paraphrasing here, "Melo's style of play is kind of played out"

Melo has adjusted his game. Where do you think Dad Melo came from? Melo didn't take a bunch of 3's in Denver. He started that **** here. Last year he shot less.

People never acknowledge the actual changes that have been made by Melo. All they see are negatives.

Team Usa
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#203 » by NYKHardKnock » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:03 pm

FirePjax wrote:
Kristaps6_NYK wrote:Then what? We get knocked out the second round? Boo boo

Huh? If we get knocked out of the second round that would be significant progress. Continue to draft well from there, sign the right players and make good trades and we could be in buisness.
It's better off tanking for one more season. 2018-19 is our season to shine. You want the possibility of drafting 2-3 stars. I believe we end up with DSJ who will be a star, KP will be a super star, Willy will be a star and 2018 could be a legit player. You end up with 4 potential star players. 2018 will be the season the 6ers, Knicks and Wolves take over.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#204 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:03 pm

seren wrote:Woj is really acting weird when it comes to New York. Unless you get a quote from a reliable source (and it doesn't sound like he is), this is pure speculation. First of all, there is little reason for Paul to leave L.A. with the giant contract that he can get there. Second, even if he is willing to leave money on the table, there are other teams he has a shot at a ring, ie San Antonio. Heck, he can even go back "home" to New Orleans to team up with Davis/Cousins and make that situation work.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app

Yup. This is nothing more than an opinion piece. And his use of terms like "part of it might be", "I think", and "should have" point to the fact that he's just guessing here. This isn't news.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#205 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:04 pm

FirePjax wrote:Lol at ppl saying they don't care if we missed out on cp3. He's the second best PG in the nba. Adding him would make us significantly better and certainly more entertaining. Smh at ppl who would rather be in the lottery than be a competitive team.

I really don't...the Knicks are so trash that all I want to see them do is stockpile young talent and try to build a team that can have sustained success 4-5 years from now

I would've felt differently 2 years ago or if we were a team as good as the Rockets or Spurs and CP3 could be the piece that takes us to an even higher level
Carl_Karlson
Head Coach
And1: 3,030

Post#206 » by Carl_Karlson » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Woj on that espn tip. All mad cp3 didn't get a chance to grant hill us :lol:
WTF Post of 2017:

If Phil pulled that off, I would put a put a paper bag over my head, paste a picture of Jeannie on it, poke a hole through the mouth, and give Phil the best BJ he's ever had in his entire life.[/quote]
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#207 » by BasicBall » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Greenie wrote:
BasicBall wrote:The way Phil has handled Melo has been wack. But then the way Melo has been resistant to how Phil tends to get down is wack too. I mean Melo had to hear how Kobe views Phil, how Shaq views Phil, MJ, etc. Why has he been so unwilling to adjust HIS game just a little bit. We all have watched Melo play, he actually does hold the ball too long and he actually doesn't make his teammates better. But then you see him have a game where he is making quick decisions with the ball so clearly he has it in him to do it. I have a hard time NOT seeing Melo being here next season. But I tell ya what, IF "The Logo" in LA don't trade for him this summer, Melo may have to re-evaluate his game lol. I mean JR Smith even said and I am paraphrasing here, "Melo's style of play is kind of played out"

Melo has adjusted his game. Where do you think Dad Melo came from? Melo didn't take a bunch of 3's in Denver. He started that **** here. Last year he shot less.

People never acknowledge the actual changes that have been made by Melo. All they see are negatives.

I don't agree. Melo is a big time talent, but he is as stubborn as the day is long. And the only times I've seen him change is when he plays with talent he deems at his level or superior (explains his Olympics performances) when it's about making good, but not great teammates better, he just ain't that dude. But again, it's not because he lacks the talent to do so. His mindset ain't right tho!
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,411

Post#208 » by Synciere » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
Synciere wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
I'd take CP3 as he's still great. I'm just not buying this story. It reeks of the NBAPA making another move to get Dolan to fire Phil.

Perhaps... I understand if people wouldn't take CP3 due to age, even though he hasn't really started to decline yet, but that argument could be had. But to say this story reeks of anything.... that's a reach.

Rosen's (is that who it is) articles as mouthpieces for Phil touting Noah's leadership and Sasha's triangle knowledge reek of propaganda. Phil publicly eviscerating Melo for ball holding while building a bad roster, then adding his Lebron 'posse' comments, then refusing to take any of those statements back... you'd have to be MORE surprised if these guys, who are thick as thieves, who's families are thick as thieves, wouldn't feel this way about Phil. Phil has given the NBAPA more than enough ammunition on his own; CP saying he wouldn't want to play for Phil isn't that.

Paul did miss 20+ games last year- so that certainly has to be accounted for.

The Knicks are in a tough spot. Phil's biggest blunder was resigning Melo so it's hard for me to feel bad for him here. Things wouldnt be much different if Phil were nicer to Melo either. Melo is what he is, a high volume non efficient jumpshooter who doesnt defend, pass or rebound. Until he's off the roster the Knicks will continue to spin their tires in the mud.

You're taking way too many leaps here, and stating them as if they are fact when in fact they are not. Carmelo was an 18 PER guy last year. Not great, but the worst he's been in years, and could easily rebound back to his career numbers as his game isn't predicated on his athleticism. He averaged 6 rebounds per game. He's closer to 7 for his career. That's more than solid for a SF. He averaged 3 assists per game. He's never been a selfish player. Ever. So yeah, he holds the ball, and creates stagnant offensive sets, but he has never been nor is he currently the problem. Stating we'll 'spin tires in the mud' is hyperbolic and inaccurate.

Things would've been MUCH different if Phil was nicer to Carmelo IN PUBLIC. He's our frigging President of Basketball Operations, a job that covers a myriad of responsibilities, including team and personnel evaluation, acquisitions, and PUBLIC RELATIONS. By publicly disrespecting our franchise player, a player who's been nothing but loyal to this team, who came to this team when few others would, and placing the blame of team losses at his feet while excusing his primary acquisitions, you cannot say his biggest blunder was signing Melo. He could say whatever the hell he wanted privately, but to treat Melo the way he did publicly, you'd think Melo had broken some law and gotten suspended by the league. Come on... You can't actually believe this stuff...
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#209 » by Greenie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Whether or not they missed out on Paul is irrelevant. Phil's heavy handed approach to the Carmelo situation has obviously had a negative effect with free agents. Knicks need to get rid of big chief triangle and bring in a GM with a proven track record of team building.

Which free agents specifically? Melo resigned with Phil. Noah came, Lee came.

We are talking game changers. Not role players. Role players will go where the money is period. The money is everywhere for a star.

STAT came for money(due to his knee really). If PHX offers that extra year, STAT stays in PHX.

Melo came for NY. He was getting paid regardless. He stayed for his money and the idea Phil could build a winner here in NY(that would be great for his legacy).

We will still get role players that we decide to overpay. Think Jerome James and Jared Jeffries.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach

Post#210 » by MP4LIFE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:11 pm

Synciere wrote:
FirePjax wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:Look at y'all making excuses all because you hate Melo :lol:

Thanks Phil, at least we got Ron Baker.

Phil costs us cp3 and ppl don't give 2 fcks lol. If he costed us lebron, KD, curry and killed everybody's mom dukes ppl still would give a duce lol

Shameful s***...

Say, you want Lebron next year?

Nah... we're not ready to win yet. Let's tank for five years and let one of the greatest players go. We want to be ready for when he retires, as if other teams won't have their own franchise players in that time. After that, we'll say let's wait for KD, then George, then Giannis to retire, and THEN we'll be ready to compete...

Chris Paul is not LeBron so your argument fails badly.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#211 » by Greenie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Melo's too lazy to ever play with CP3. That would be the end of their friendship.

Come on back home FC.
Melo has always played better with an actual PG that runs the team and controls Melo's touches.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,342

Post#212 » by dakomish23 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:12 pm

I never thought I'd see the day where a Knicks fan would turn their nose up at an elite PG after decades of ignoring the position.

One thing to not want him because him alone doesn't make a contender and it's better to just accept the inevitable 2019 tank. I agree with that. But trashing him? Cmon. Have you not watched our PGs play?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach

Post#213 » by MP4LIFE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:13 pm

FirePjax wrote:Lol at ppl saying they don't care if we missed out on cp3. He's the second best PG in the nba. Adding him would make us significantly better and certainly more entertaining. Smh at ppl who would rather be in the lottery than be a competitive team.

Nah, people would rather build a long term competitive team than one that will have no chance of winning anything in the playoffs and mortgage their future in the process. Porzingis needs another young player to play with him. Missing out on the draft to be a potential 2nd round team isn't enticing.

If I want entertainment I'll watch Game of Thrones. This is basketball.

Stick to trying to fire Phil Jackson. At least that argument is coherent.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#214 » by Greenie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:This is a joke. The Knicks really haven't been on any significant free agent's radar since 1999. The media makes it sound like the Knicks are still relevant but any free agent signing has come here to get overpaid.

Chris Paul is part of that upper tier of players, kind of like the super rich who dictate world banks, they go to winning franchises and tell the Front office, "what are you going to do for ME? Then point which players they like or don't like." Based on the team's ability to suck a donkey off, they either kowtow or it's onto the next hotspot.

Phil's behavior didn't help
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,613

Post#215 » by Billy Goat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Synciere wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
Synciere wrote:
Perhaps... I understand if people wouldn't take CP3 due to age, even though he hasn't really started to decline yet, but that argument could be had. But to say this story reeks of anything.... that's a reach.

Rosen's (is that who it is) articles as mouthpieces for Phil touting Noah's leadership and Sasha's triangle knowledge reek of propaganda. Phil publicly eviscerating Melo for ball holding while building a bad roster, then adding his Lebron 'posse' comments, then refusing to take any of those statements back... you'd have to be MORE surprised if these guys, who are thick as thieves, who's families are thick as thieves, wouldn't feel this way about Phil. Phil has given the NBAPA more than enough ammunition on his own; CP saying he wouldn't want to play for Phil isn't that.

Paul did miss 20+ games last year- so that certainly has to be accounted for.

The Knicks are in a tough spot. Phil's biggest blunder was resigning Melo so it's hard for me to feel bad for him here. Things wouldnt be much different if Phil were nicer to Melo either. Melo is what he is, a high volume non efficient jumpshooter who doesnt defend, pass or rebound. Until he's off the roster the Knicks will continue to spin their tires in the mud.

You're taking way too many leaps here, and stating them as if they are fact when in fact they are not. Carmelo was an 18 PER guy last year. Not great, but the worst he's been in years, and could easily rebound back to his career numbers as his game isn't predicated on his athleticism. He averaged 6 rebounds per game. He's closer to 7 for his career. That's more than solid for a SF. He averaged 3 assists per game. He's never been a selfish player. Ever. So yeah, he holds the ball, and creates stagnant offensive sets, but he has never been nor is he currently the problem. Stating we'll 'spin tires in the mud' is hyperbolic and inaccurate.

Things would've been MUCH different if Phil was nicer to Carmelo IN PUBLIC. He's our frigging President of Basketball Operations, a job that covers a myriad of responsibilities, including team and personnel evaluation, acquisitions, and PUBLIC RELATIONS. By publicly disrespecting our franchise player, a player who's been nothing but loyal to this team, who came to this team when few others would, and placing the blame of team losses at his feet while excusing his primary acquisitions, you cannot say his biggest blunder was signing Melo. He could say whatever the hell he wanted privately, but to treat Melo the way he did publicly, you'd think Melo had broken some law and gotten suspended by the league. Come on... You can't actually believe this stuff...

What would be different?
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,411

Post#216 » by Synciere » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:13 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
Synciere wrote:
FirePjax wrote:
Phil costs us cp3 and ppl don't give 2 fcks lol. If he costed us lebron, KD, curry and killed everybody's mom dukes ppl still would give a duce lol

Shameful s***...

Say, you want Lebron next year?

Nah... we're not ready to win yet. Let's tank for five years and let one of the greatest players go. We want to be ready for when he retires, as if other teams won't have their own franchise players in that time. After that, we'll say let's wait for KD, then George, then Giannis to retire, and THEN we'll be ready to compete...

Chris Paul is not LeBron so your argument fails badly.

Whatever man. If that's what you took from it.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#217 » by Greenie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Great to hear Lowe & Arnovitz break down how smart front offices have become a major factor to high end FAs. Then proceed to say how those guys don't want NY or LAL because they don't have a clue.

Fun times to be a Knicks fan.

On to the 2019 tank that won't be a tank on purpose but another failed attempt at winning.

Which free agents were they talking about? The good teams in the league are all built through the draft and supplemented with smart veteran signings. There arent any good teams built via "high-end" free agents.

Looking at the Cavs and Warriors with KD and LeBron....
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,613

Post#218 » by Billy Goat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Greenie wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Great to hear Lowe & Arnovitz break down how smart front offices have become a major factor to high end FAs. Then proceed to say how those guys don't want NY or LAL because they don't have a clue.

Fun times to be a Knicks fan.

On to the 2019 tank that won't be a tank on purpose but another failed attempt at winning.

Which free agents were they talking about? The good teams in the league are all built through the draft and supplemented with smart veteran signings. There arent any good teams built via "high-end" free agents.

Looking at the Cavs and Warriors with KD and LeBron....

:roll:
Greenie
RealGM

Post#219 » by Greenie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:17 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
Greenie wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
Walsh didn't trade for Melo.

Oh, yes he did.
If he was so damn against it he could have walked. He ended up doing that in the summer anyway when Dolan said no to an extension. Up until then Walsh was functioning within his job title. He was the one that picked up the option on Billups.

No, no he didn't. Yet another subject you're not familiar with but speaking with absolute authority on.

So who made the trade?
You're the one unfamiliar with the subject.
Walsh was "Phil" during the Melo trade.

Get your life together.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#220 » by Greenie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:21 pm

drekwins wrote:
BadNewsBarnes wrote:
Greenie wrote:

That's one team. Traditional centers are becoming a rare sighting. They are more athletic and nimble. They are not banging down low on a regular basis. They are shooting 3's instead.

The bangers are not offensive threats and I doubt they can keep up with KP on the perimeter.

Take advantage of the mismatch instead of playing into the oppositions game plan.

Agreed...game has changed. NBA has become a chucker league. Hey...let's bring in the 4 point shot like in the 3-on-3 league? Then get all the best 3 point shooters. Way to win a championship now. Makes you yearn for the games in the 90s. Jeez.

KP plays with the toughness of a PG. if he played as tough and physical as a SF, I'd say that he might be able to get away with it. He's not close to a center yet even in a small ball league.

He is in fact a center in today's small ball league. He looks like straight garbage chasing dudes around on the perimeter at 7'3''.

Put him at center and place him near the basket which just happens to be he biggest strength. There are like maybe 5 true post up centers in the league. KP will survive.

Return to New York Knicks