ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks select Damyean Dotson

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,163

Re: Knicks select Damyean Dotson 

Post#81 » by Im Coming Home » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:17 pm

In terms of body look, and the way he's talking, he reminds me of Shump. Obviously not gonna be the defender Shump was and is probably gonna be a better shooter. Just saying the way he looks and his body size and stuff he reminds me of Shump.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#82 » by Scalabrine » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:24 pm

Bummed we didn't take Thornwell or Sterling Brown, I think both players have some NBA tools, but this kid doesn't seem like he will be that bad.
Go Knicks!
BrOnXKing1
Starter
And1: 604

Post#83 » by BrOnXKing1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:25 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:In terms of body look, and the way he's talking, he reminds me of Shump. Obviously not gonna be the defender Shump was and is probably gonna be a better shooter. Just saying the way he looks and his body size and stuff he reminds me of Shump.

Similar body but different player. Shump was a elite defender but had a broken shot which we all hoped he could fix but he didn't, this guy is a elite shooter who has potential to be a plus defender but upto him to make it happen.
Retired_Doc
Analyst
And1: 367

Post#84 » by Retired_Doc » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:49 pm

I like this pick a lot. Many folks here are constantly crapping on Phil. But the Man always shows up on Draft night.

Dotson is an outstanding 3 pt shooter. This is the Black Steve Novak. Only this Novak is much more athletic.

Novak really helped us a lot one yr. I can see Dotson helping us even more and for a lot longer than one yr.
Tanking again, I suppose. Is there any other way?
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#85 » by earthmansurfer » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:13 am

I haven't seen the guy play, but watching his videos, he seems like an animal. He appears to have great, but not elite, athleticism. And this is what hit me - I heard he was a great great shooter and when I watched his highlights, clearly his athleticism is to be taken notice of.

He looks to be a good defender but with his athleticism and build/height, he can be quite a bit better imo. He is going to be able to focus more on defense here as he is not the 1st or 2nd option on offense.

His shot is off the charts, really, unbelievable to hit at the rate he has. I welcome this kid here, what a great 2nd round pick.

Also, anyone notice his assist rate in at Portsmouth? I think this is a part of why we selected the guy, another semi-ball handler/distributor in the triangle.
"Dotson had an outstanding showing at Portsmouth, helping his team win the championship while averaging an impressive 15 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists in 29 minutes of action. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Damyean-Dotson-66254/ ©DraftExpress"

PS Doc - A black Novac!!! LOL, well said. And now we got some more White Chocolate to throw in the mix, that will be fun to see out there.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#86 » by IllmaticHandler » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:28 am

right Before he was picked I said I would love to get Dotson. Then sure enough we got him. I think we got a baller here, and anyone trying to limit his potential is going to far into the future. I want to see him play in the NBA first before any roadmaps. Seems like the Knicks was super High on the cat and wanted him bad!. PJ and Gaines are CLEARLY looking for dudes who work hard and who have high IQ.

Check out his coach speaking hon him getting picked.

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#87 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Between KP, Melo, Frank Nicotine, and Dotson the Knicks' 3-D shot will be dropping.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by earthmansurfer » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:21 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:right Before he was picked I said I would love to get Dotson. Then sure enough we got him. I think we got a baller here, and anyone trying to limit his potential is going to far into the future. I want to see him play in the NBA first before any roadmaps. Seems like the Knicks was super High on the cat and wanted him bad!. PJ and Gaines are CLEARLY looking for dudes who work hard and who have high IQ.

Must watch! Thanks for sharing.
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Post#89 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:22 pm

With his handles, Dotson could be the draymond green of shooting guards for us
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,134

Post#90 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:57 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:right Before he was picked I said I would love to get Dotson. Then sure enough we got him. I think we got a baller here, and anyone trying to limit his potential is going to far into the future. I want to see him play in the NBA first before any roadmaps. Seems like the Knicks was super High on the cat and wanted him bad!. PJ and Gaines are CLEARLY looking for dudes who work hard and who have high IQ.

Other than Frank N and KP, who are high end pickups, you see a commonality with Phil/Gaines picks/UDFA's - Can Shoot. Work Hard. Somewhat rounded games. High IQ. Coachable. Think about the pick ups. Yes, talent trumps all, but at least Phil is trying to establish a playing culture, if not doing the best job with the culture in terms of the noise around the team.

KP - Shooter, all around skills, team players
Frank N - Good shooter, all around skills, team player
WHG - Good post skills, good P&R, understands spacing well, solid to good and willing passer
Kuz - Good shooter, understands spacing well, decent all around game, flaws well known
Baker - good shooter (in college). Some all around skills but maybe not enough athleticism. Really understands spacing on offense and defense
Randle - very good shooter
N'Dour - decent shot for a 4, may not have shown it yet. Accustomed to euro style of play
Sasha - shooter, familiar with triangle at least
Even Plumlee has a nice feel for the game and seems like a good teammate, which has its importance, especially for end of the bench guys. Baker and Kuz at the least seem this way. I'd say Randle and N'Dour as well.
captvict
Sixth Man
And1: 512

Post#91 » by captvict » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Good bye Courtney Lee

Frank
Dotson
Carmelo
KP
Noah

35 wins
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#92 » by MP4LIFE » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:17 pm

captvict wrote:Good bye Courtney Lee

Frank
Dotson
Carmelo
KP
Noah

35 wins

:lol:

35 wins..? maybe 25 if you're lucky.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#93 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:23 pm

captvict wrote:Good bye Courtney Lee

Frank
Dotson
Carmelo
KP
Noah

35 wins

Too much. Need to trade Melo for scraps.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by earthmansurfer » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:49 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

Other than Frank N and KP, who are high end pickups, you see a commonality with Phil/Gaines picks/UDFA's - Can Shoot. Work Hard. Somewhat rounded games. High IQ. Coachable. Think about the pick ups. Yes, talent trumps all, but at least Phil is trying to establish a playing culture, if not doing the best job with the culture in terms of the noise around the team.

KP - Shooter, all around skills, team players
Frank N - Good shooter, all around skills, team player
WHG - Good post skills, good P&R, understands spacing well, solid to good and willing passer
Kuz - Good shooter, understands spacing well, decent all around game, flaws well known
Baker - good shooter (in college). Some all around skills but maybe not enough athleticism. Really understands spacing on offense and defense
Randle - very good shooter
N'Dour - decent shot for a 4, may not have shown it yet. Accustomed to euro style of play
Sasha - shooter, familiar with triangle at least
Even Plumlee has a nice feel for the game and seems like a good teammate, which has its importance, especially for end of the bench guys. Baker and Kuz at the least seem this way. I'd say Randle and N'Dour as well.

I'm not sure how good we're gonna fair in the NBA, but I tell you, we will dominate in those NBA vs. EU special occasion games...
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#95 » by Triple C » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Read on Twitter
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#96 » by EchelonNYK » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Don't care much for this pick at all to be honest. It's unfortunate that Phil couldn't get another first rounder. Josh Hart would've been a excellent target.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,042

Post#97 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:05 pm

let's start the twin towers in the mecca...
Bamba + KP
Ayton + KP

i prefer ayton but bamba would have the longest wingspan in the NBA..... 7'9

we must go all in on length and defense
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#98 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:17 pm

Good pic of Dotson...
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,129

Post#99 » by Fat Kat » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#100 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Phil loves his working lunch and dinners.

Return to New York Knicks