ImageImageImageImageImage

Exclusive Scott Perry Interview

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RealGM
And1: 39,138

Re: Exclusive Scott Perry Interview 

Post#41 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:33 am

2010 wrote:Image

They such a unified front they even coordinated their suits/ties. :lol:

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
nyczlegacy
Analyst
And1: 783

Post#42 » by nyczlegacy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:34 am

yeah kind of feel for the guy

worked hard and came all the way here to be Mill's bitch

I want Mills gone, then we can objectively grade this guys body of work while he's here
god shammgod wrote:didn't watch a minute. it feels good. might not watch more than a game or two for the rest of the season. there's nothing to see. our best player is a midget g-leaguer.
RealGM

Post#43 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:36 am

nyczlegacy wrote:yeah kind of feel for the guy

I want Mills gone, then we can objectively grade this guys body of work while he's here

Why you want Mills head on a platter? I am genuinely trying to understand. Is it for the Hardaway contract?

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,374

Post#44 » by god shammgod » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:36 am

look, i don't know how things will go. i'm a skeptic. but you gotta give everyone a chance. if your general position is that under dolan it would be impossible to improve, why even bother ?

you know what the knicks need ? more than a plan, or a new president, or a culture change, or to clear out the front office...they need a really great f*cking player. and then you probably need another one. either kp becomes one or they draft one or both. that's how you start. that's the only way to really be successful. after that you can make plans on how not to f*ck that up. but without that all the plans in the world aren't gonna mean much.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,195

Post#45 » by Kampuchea » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:37 am

I'm a fan of Dolan. Now that he doesn't get involved and is happy to spend.
nyczlegacy
Analyst
And1: 783

Post#46 » by nyczlegacy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:38 am

2010 wrote:

Why you want Mills head on a platter? I am genuinely trying to understand. Is it for the Hardaway contract?

yup

contradicting statements saying we want a full rebuild, defensive minded players, then overpays for THJR, signs ron baker, etc. etc.
god shammgod wrote:didn't watch a minute. it feels good. might not watch more than a game or two for the rest of the season. there's nothing to see. our best player is a midget g-leaguer.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Re: RE: Re: Exclusive Scott Perry Interview 

Post#47 » by Jimmit79 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:40 am

2010 wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:Every gm who comes to Knicks seem to be genuine and committed to winning except Dolan always forces his own plan down their throats and later fires them if it doesn't work out join the line Mr. Perry.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Yep, that ole rotten scoundrel Dolan sure forced his plan down Phil's throat. Totally undermined him...all the way from the studio booth.

:crazy:

He did undermine him when he wanted to buyout melo.

RealGM

Post#48 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:43 am

“One of the things I made clear was I thought we needed to bring in a general manager, and Scott was one of the people I had on my list,” Mills said of his chats with owner James Dolan, who, face it, is the guy with the most and ultimately only say that matters.

And I do believe that the things we’re talking about today are the things I’d do differently,Mills said with all emphasis on moving forward, youth, draft picks, development for a “group of guys growing together, which may take longer to do. It will take longer to do.

Mills was asked directly about the power structure. Obviously, he is the president. Obviously, he hired Perry. Obviously, he will have final say. But Mills insisted it will be a co-venture, and everything will be discussed and analyzed and Perry will have “room” to make decisions.

I’m going to give Scott the room to make basketball decisions and make recommendations to me. He’s going to have a chance to manage the coaching staff, manage the scouting staff and make recommendations as to where we should go as a basketball organization,” Mills said. “We’ll be partners in that in the sense that he’ll come to me with his recommendation and we’ll debate it back and forth. But at the end of the day, I’m giving him the room to make those decisions.

And then he’ll make the call. But it was the smart thing to say.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/17/there-was-something-missing-from-knicks-talk-stupidity/

SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,841

Post#49 » by SelbyCobra » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:44 am

Kampuchea wrote:Perry's interview seemed too scripted. After reading the responses I don't trust him.

Well, I think waiting 15 years for a singular moment lends itself to sounding scripted. :lol:
RealGM

Post#50 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:46 am

nyczlegacy wrote:
2010 wrote:

yup

contradicting statements saying we want a full rebuild, defensive minded players, then overpays for THJR, signs ron baker, etc. etc.

Those are two players 25 years old or younger. The Sixers are still in the middle of a full rebuild. I don't see anyone wanting Colangelo's head on a platter and he spent a hell of a lot more money on OLDER free agents.

RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Exclusive Scott Perry Interview 

Post#51 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:48 am

Jimmit79 wrote:
2010 wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:Every gm who comes to Knicks seem to be genuine and committed to winning except Dolan always forces his own plan down their throats and later fires them if it doesn't work out join the line Mr. Perry.

Yep, that ole rotten scoundrel Dolan sure forced his plan down Phil's throat. Totally undermined him...all the way from the studio booth.

:crazy:

He did undermine him when he wanted to buyout melo.

So in closure you would have been happier with Dolan continuing to play band gigs while Melo (and the team) where continued to be trashed in hit pieces from Rosen? Continued divisive tweets alienating our own players and other players/organizations throughout the league? Continued shopping of our young building block in KP? Continue to pursue a buyout where Melo still gets almost all his money, recoups whatever is lost by signing with the team of his choice and helping them with a playoff run while we receive nothing in the way of assets in return? All this foolishness just to make everyone sleep better at night that Dolan kept his word and let Phil continue to run the team into the ground for the full 5 seasons? Ok! I'll just say I am glad Dolan broke his word, undermined and fired the a-hole. :lol:

RealGM

Post#52 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:51 am

So let me get this straight. In professional sports, if you are an owner you should not be allowed to fire anyone? They must be allowed to fulfill the length of their contract no matter their job performance? Or else it is termed "meddling" or "undermining". Well I'll be damned...sounds to me like the fan base does not want our executives to be held accountable at all.

Who gave Melo the max contract with the 15% trade kicker and no trade clause that Phil wanted him bought out from?

Oh let me guess...Dolan made Phil re-sign Melo right?

:lol:

CANiLIVE
Sixth Man
And1: 220

Post#53 » by CANiLIVE » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:55 am

2010 wrote:

People think it's had a say so for the past 15 years in knicks day to day basketball ops.
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,050

Post#54 » by vallen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:57 am

too many chefs spoil the meal. if one guy cant do his job, cuz another wants to "debate back and forth" then its never going to properly work. eventually someone isnt going to get their way, and it will cause dissension within the FO. but hey, thats just another day in MSG.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
RealGM

Post#55 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:02 am

CANiLIVE wrote:
2010 wrote:

People think it's had a say so for the past 15 years in knicks day to day basketball ops.

* He worked on the business side during the Isiah regime so he had zero input on basketball matters

* After the sexual harassment case he was relieved of his duties and left the organzation

* He was rehired as President & General Manager for 5 months after the firing of Glen Grunwald at the advice of McKinsey & Co.

* Phil Jackson was hired after that short 5 month stint with Mills in charge and no transactions of significance being made

In conclusion, his first two significant basketball transactions are the Hardaway, Jr. and Baker contracts. So there really isn't even a body of work to call for his head on. People just want a lynching to see a body hang.

RealGM

Post#56 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:04 am

vallen wrote:

too many chefs spoil the meal. if one guy cant do his job, cuz another wants to "debate back and forth" then its never going to properly work. eventually someone isnt going to get their way, and it will cause dissension within the FO. but hey, thats just another day in MSG.

There are checks and balances at any corporate structured organization. Even a CEO has to answer to the Board of Directors. Y'all just looking for reasons to be unhappy.

CANiLIVE
Sixth Man
And1: 220

Post#57 » by CANiLIVE » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:08 am

2010 wrote:
CANiLIVE wrote:
2010 wrote:

* He worked on the business side during the Isiah regime so he had zero input on basketball matters

* After the sexual harassment case he was relieved of his duties and left the organzation

* He was rehired as President & General Manager for 5 months after the firing of Glen Grunwald at the advice of McKinsey & Co.

* Phil Jackson was hired after that short 5 month stint with Mills in charge and no transactions of significance being made

In conclusion, his first two significant basketball transactions are the Hardaway, Jr. and Baker contracts. So there really isn't even a body of work to call for his head on. People just want a lynching to see a body hang.

It's the knicks, you know he some how some way had a hand in something lol it's mind boggling, people actually think mills has been running things for years lol just to make them mad. lol it's comedy

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#58 » by DOT » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:08 am

2010 wrote:
CANiLIVE wrote:
2010 wrote:

If Mills stays on the business side and lets Perry handle the dirty work, I think he'll work out fine

I just don't trust him to handle contracts and trades, based off of this offseason, and that he was the one handling the calls during the Phil era (note, I'm not saying it's all him, but he gets the blame for being the guy making the moves, while Phil still had to okay them, so ultimately Phil gets the blame).
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Louielou
Junior
And1: 154

Post#59 » by Louielou » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:08 am

2010 wrote:
nyczlegacy wrote:
2010 wrote:

yup

Those are two players 25 years old or younger. The Sixers are still in the middle of a full rebuild. I don't see anyone wanting Colangelo's head on a platter and he spent a hell of a lot more money on OLDER free agents.

Come on fam that isn't even a legit comparison. Our scrub team was only a few wins better than Philly despite no play from Simmons and only 30 games from the would be rookie of the year this year. If anything they are further along the rebuild and still have many more draft picks than us looking forward. Plus they were signed to 1 YEAR DEALS. People aren't mad at THjr the player himself, theyre mad that the Knicks decided to tie up all their flexibility for the next few years because of a player like Thjr
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#60 » by Amsterdam » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:11 am

MP4LIFE wrote:Nice interview. Hope he follows through. I've been a Knick fan a long time to stop seeing words on a page and thinking much of them. Only actions will determine how to judge this man. He seems well-regarded, but he doesn't seem to have much power, just a second guy for someone like clueless Mills to have to bounce ideas off of. Still, better him in this position than Allan Houston or Herb Williams or whatnot.

I like how the OP making a point about not having egos yet one of the people he throws big support towards (Isiah) had and still has one of the biggest egos in the sport.

Return to New York Knicks