ImageImageImageImageImage

OT How bad has the NYC MTA Train Service become?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Re: OT How bad has the NYC MTA Train Service become? 

Post#121 » by Kampuchea » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:22 pm

I lived in Cambodia 5 years, they just introduced a bus system in the city. Go to Hong Kong, it's so much nicer compared to NYC in terms of overall cleanliness and quality of train system. The whole city is just cleaner.

It is a bit stale though. NY has cooler restaurants and neighborhoods.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,128

Post#122 » by moocow007 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:55 pm

tjumper78 wrote:a friend recently visited seoul, korea. she now refuses to use the subways in ny. i googled seoul's subways and they seemed to be so much more advanced/convenient/safe/etc, and more importantly CLEAN.
we probably wont see any changes unless nyc decides to spend billions of dollars and many years (decades?).

That's the same with a lot of transit systems in major cities and developed countries around the world. People may not realize it but a lot of European countries have much better overall infrastructure than the US. Not just subways and transportation, but like power lines that actually are completely underground (easier to maintain, less prone to outages, etc.) that are much more advanced than what you find in NY.
be reasonable
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#123 » by be reasonable » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:34 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
be reasonable wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:
It's great elsewhere if you're willing to go to different countries, which is what I'm doing next year. If you go to Asia, public transportation is superior to here. In many parts of Europe and Asia, cycling is also heavily encouraged.

Agreed, had to go to immigration here a few months ago. Was dreading the trip knowing how terrible traffic was and having to use the public transportation. But I was pleasantly surprised how fast and efficient the bus service was. Only thing I could think of was how much better it would be in New York if they'd copy how it's done here. Caught the express bus on the main Avenue and got there in about 35 minutes and all I could do was laugh at all the cars stuck in traffic. And thank God we did not use Uber like we usually do. Anyway they built stations in the middle of the street. You enter and pay like you do when you head into the subway accept it is above ground and only 7 pesos. The Express bus comes every 5 mins and some of the stations have screens telling you exactly where your bus is. The bus has a lane protected by rubber bumpers to keep any traffic out and at the stops it widens to two lanes to let the express bus pass whenever it does not has to stop. Runs from North to South from one end of the city to the other end.

Where is this?

Guadalajara, Mexico
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#124 » by reub » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 pm

Voters get what they deserve.
KnicksFTW
Bench Warmer
And1: 447

Post#125 » by KnicksFTW » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:44 pm

The infrastructure is just so old and expensive to maintain, that it might be a better idea to scratch the current systems and try to design a new subway system from scratch, using technologies that Europe uses.

Unfortunately, the amount of people that depend on it for commute is insane, so MTA is stuck with the problem of how do we develop new infrastructure while maintaining the old one and at this point you honestly can't unless you keep throwing more money into it to just keep it running a little while longer.

Return to New York Knicks