ImageImageImageImageImage

I am not impressed with the Knicks so far..

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knick 4ever
RealGM
And1: 1

I am not impressed with the Knicks so far.. 

Post#1 » by Knick 4ever » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:25 pm

I thought Walsh was hired to change the culture, but I am against all the moves he made thus far. The hiring of D'Anthoni in my opinion was a mistake, because what we really needed was a defensive minded/disciplinarian to coach the team. I understand that D'Anthoni coaches an intriguing style of basketball, but in my opinion, that style will never get any team beyond the second round of the playoffs.

Another mistake I thought is also very evident is the drafting of a soft/scoring big man, which in my opinion is totally what we didn't need. We should have drafted a defensive minded big to anchor our front court because it has been terrible since Isiah traded away Dikembe Mutumbo and Kurt Thomas.

Where is the progress folks?
VISIT: www.ltravelsite.com for some excellent travel deals and a lot more. Simply click the (Cruises) tab, scroll down to (Great Travel Deals); click (Last Minute Getaways), under Browse by Budget, click (Under $250.00 Deals).
the bizness
General Manager
And1: 0

Re: I am not impressed with the Knicks so far.. 

Post#2 » by the bizness » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:30 pm

what did you think about going after dudu?
YungNeef
RealGM

Post#3 » by YungNeef » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:33 pm

We had a defensive minded coach and he coached us to a 23 win season on purpose. Then we had a terrible coach. So why not give D'Antoni time to see what he can do. BTW what defensive big was we going to get at 6?
Big C
RealGM

Post#4 » by Big C » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:37 pm

Don't worry after the Knicks sign the 3rd string guard Chris Duho this team will be making great progress. lol
Knick 4ever
RealGM

Post#5 » by Knick 4ever » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:40 pm

the bizness wrote:what did you think about going after dudu?

Who is dudu?
VISIT: www.ltravelsite.com for some excellent travel deals and a lot more. Simply click the (Cruises) tab, scroll down to (Great Travel Deals); click (Last Minute Getaways), under Browse by Budget, click (Under $250.00 Deals).
J9Starks3
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,195

Post#6 » by J9Starks3 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:45 pm

Seriously... I was expecting us to be a championship contender this year... FIRE WALSH!

...patience... its a virtue
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,495

Post#7 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:46 pm

Knick 4ever wrote:I thought Walsh was hired to change the culture, but I am against all the moves he made thus far. The hiring of D'Anthoni in my opinion was a mistake, because what we really needed was a defensive minded/disciplinarian to coach the team. I understand that D'Anthoni coaches an intriguing style of basketball, but in my opinion, that style will never get any team beyond the second round of the playoffs.

Another mistake I thought is also very evident is the drafting of a soft/scoring big man, which in my opinion is totally what we didn't need. We should have drafted a defensive minded big to anchor our front court because it has been terrible since Isiah traded away Dikembe Mutumbo and Kurt Thomas.

Where is the progress folks?

1. The D'antoni signing could be questioned, I'll give you that. But it gives the Knicks a coach players want to play for and that's big when Walsh is looking for cap room to bring in big name FA's. It's harder to sell a disciplinarian then a players' coach. Look at the way players talk about his system and wanting to try it (Kobe most recently) and the signing makes plenty of sense.

2. You might be misinformed or you're making assumptions about Gallinari. He's a euro, but he's not soft. He plays to contact and is willing to attack the basket. Yes, he's a face up guy and not a defensive presence...but he isn't a soft big man. He's a long SF which could work out and his ceiling is much higher then 90% of the draft or more. At 6 any C drafted would have been a reach and the best C (Brook Lopez) wasn't a defensive C any way. There were no anchors in the draft imo, Deandre has potential but no mental game. Ajinca needs to put on weight and isn't known defensively. Robin gives you D and boards, but no offensive game to speak of. The C options were limited, it would have been a reach and a waste of a pick to not take Danilo, Bayless, or Gordon imo. They have the potential to be stars, no one else was worth it that high.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
the bizness
General Manager

Post#8 » by the bizness » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:46 pm

Knick 4ever wrote:

Who is dudu?

duhon
Big C
RealGM

Post#9 » by Big C » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:47 pm

Knick 4ever wrote:

Who is dudu?
dudu= Duhon=feces
Cosmic
General Manager

Post#10 » by Cosmic » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:49 pm

It's been what, 8 weeks? With a chance to do what... have draft night?

What on earth do you and others expect to have happened in that amount of time?

You do realize this team is a complete mess.
We hired a GM who is patient and willing to work with his coach.
We hired a coach who has a game plan in mind.

We have a GM and Coach who are on the same exact page and working together to put a new plan in place.

THIS IS GOING TO TAKE 18 MONTHS MINIMUM TO START LOOKING GOOD

Not 8 weeks.....not 1 draft....not 1 summer....not 1 feb deadline.

Jeez....
Image Both teams played hard. God bless and good night.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,262

Post#11 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:50 pm

There was no defensive big really available at #6. We had to take the BPA which we did in Walsh's mind.

Where's the progress?

Walsh just became GM. And only a few weeks or so in which he could actually make moves. Have some patience. Its going to take some time to turn this thing around. Walsh is not going to make big flashy moves and rush things like Isiah did. He's taking his time and doing his due diligence because one costly move can set this franchise back another few years.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Knick 4ever
RealGM

Post#12 » by Knick 4ever » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:52 pm

YungNeef wrote:We had a defensive minded coach and he coached us to a 23 win season on purpose. Then we had a terrible coach. So why not give D'Antoni time to see what he can do. BTW what defensive big was we going to get at 6?

Brown failed in N.Y. mainly because he didn't get along with Isiah and the owner. I never expected him to do well with the f...ed up roster Isiah assembled. Let's face it, to win in this league, your starting 5 has to have 3 things: a good play maker, a great shooter and a good defensive big man. Ask yourself, beside Marb whom some may consider as a decent play maker, did we really have any of the other two the last 4 years? Marb was reduced to nothing, because he was asked to change his game. We brought in Jerome to provide the defense we envisioned and that failed miserably. We brought in Q to provide the much needed shooting and that too failed. The best team the Knicks had during the Isiah tenure was when Lenny Wilkens was the coach. We at least had a compatible roster. We had a play maker in Marb, a nice front court in Deke, Kurt and some scorers.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#13 » by Rasho Brezec » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:54 pm

Although I don't like D'Antoni, I think he's exactly what Knicks need. His offensive-minded system will help players improve their stats and increase their trade value. Then you guys will be able to get rid off some of the big contracts you have.
Knick 4ever
RealGM

Post#14 » by Knick 4ever » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:58 pm

Brad Lohaus wrote:There was no defensive big really available at #6. We had to take the BPA which we did in Walsh's mind.

Where's the progress?

Walsh just became GM. And only a few weeks or so in which he could actually make moves. Have some patience. Its going to take some time to turn this thing around. Walsh is not going to make big flashy moves and rush things like Isiah did. He's taking his time and doing his due diligence because one costly move can set this franchise back another few years.

I don't believe Walsh tried everything he could. We could have hired Avery Johnson, because in my mind, he is a much better coach than D'Anthoni. I am not that fascinated by D's style. That to me will hunt the Knicks the next 5 years. When you are in N.Y., you have to build a team that resembles the city. N.Y. is not a soft city like Phoenix. By mid-season, I guaranty you the media will start calling for D's head.
TinyLinny
Senior
And1: 4

Post#15 » by TinyLinny » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:59 pm

Cosmic wrote:We have a GM and Coach who are on the same exact page and working together to put a new plan in place.

Jeez....

I concur.

It took how many years for Isiah to put this franchise in the hole it's in? For it to be undone overnight would truly be a miracle.

K4E, your expectations are unrealistic. Come back down to Earth with the rest of us.
Knick 4ever
RealGM

Post#16 » by Knick 4ever » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:00 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Although I don't like D'Antoni, I think he's exactly what Knicks need. His offensive-minded system will help players improve their stats and increase their trade value. Then you guys will be able to get rid off some of the big contracts you have.

I understand and agree with your sentiment.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,923

Post#17 » by god shammgod » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:03 pm

GIZMO! wrote:
K4E, your expectations are unrealistic. Come back down to Earth with the rest of us.

from reading his posts over the years i'm pretty sure he's not from earth.
Knick 4ever
RealGM

Post#18 » by Knick 4ever » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:04 pm

GIZMO! wrote:
Cosmic wrote:We have a GM and Coach who are on the same exact page and working together to put a new plan in place.

Jeez....

I concur.

It took how many years for Isiah to put this franchise in the hole it's in? For it to be undone overnight would truly be a miracle.

I am a very patient man, I just don't like what I have seen thus far. For years we've knowned that we are in need of defense in the worse way, but we have never taken the proper steps to fix that. We hired Brown, but turned around and traded for Curry, Q, Crawford whom are not known to ever play defense. For years we've known that we need to bring in a backup PG, but we have never addressed that situation either. The Knicks problems did not just start under Isiah.
NYC2BGI
Starter

Post#19 » by NYC2BGI » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:09 pm

Cosmic wrote:It's been what, 8 weeks? With a chance to do what... have draft night?

What on earth do you and others expect to have happened in that amount of time?

You do realize this team is a complete mess.
We hired a GM who is patient and willing to work with his coach.
We hired a coach who has a game plan in mind.

We have a GM and Coach who are on the same exact page and working together to put a new plan in place.

Jeez....
I totally agree. We don't have the young talent or draft picks to trade away like the Celtics did last year to do a quick fix. If you look at NBA history, except for the Celtics going from worst to NBA championship, it usually takes a few years to turn around a bad team like ours. We could get 1 good guy and suddenly make the playoffs, but to win it all will take patience. We true Knicks fans don't want to just make the playoffs we want the whole thing since it has been since 1973. The championship drought for the Knicks (35 years) is older than many of the people who post on this board.
TinyLinny
Senior
And1: 4

Post#20 » by TinyLinny » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:09 pm

god shammgod wrote:
GIZMO! wrote:

from reading his posts over the years i'm pretty sure he's not from earth.

lol

Return to New York Knicks