ImageImageImageImageImage

ot: anyone have a fear of flying

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

krustytheclown
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

ot: anyone have a fear of flying 

Post#1 » by krustytheclown » Sat Jul 5, 2008 9:11 pm

im supposed to be leaving for florida tomorrow and i have a terrible fear of heights/flying and all that jazz..so my question for those who share the same fear what do you do to relax yourself(save the masturbation jokes/yes i know about xanex)
Da big3
Starter
And1: 2

Re: ot: anyone have a fear of flying 

Post#2 » by Da big3 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 9:18 pm

sit in the middle, and chew gum, it will prevent your ear from popping, i get used to it when i fly 11 hours non-stiop...
Remember the Past
Assistant Coach
And1: 1
Location: Screw Wes and LeDiva. Keep Lee. Trust Donnie. Give the Rookies a chance.

Post#3 » by Remember the Past » Sat Jul 5, 2008 9:25 pm

sleep medicine.
krustytheclown
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by krustytheclown » Sat Jul 5, 2008 9:28 pm

my flight is at 8:25 am so im not sleeping at all..but i might not fall asleep on the flight
Lottery Bound
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Lottery Bound » Sat Jul 5, 2008 9:29 pm

Concentrate on something like this for example....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kVeS7ZamPU
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#6 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 9:36 pm

i would bring an i pod or something to listen to.
Doctor_Harvey
Banned User

Post#7 » by Doctor_Harvey » Sat Jul 5, 2008 9:43 pm

marbury2curry wrote:im supposed to be leaving for florida tomorrow and i have a terrible fear of heights/flying and all that jazz..so my question for those who share the same fear what do you do to relax yourself(save the masturbation jokes/yes i know about xanex)

From the moment you board the plane until the very minute you depart from the plane you ONLY concentrate on your destination. Nothing else! Only concentrate on the best parts of what you're looking forward to in FL.

It works, trust me. I used to do this for a living---remember? :)
krustytheclown
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by krustytheclown » Sat Jul 5, 2008 9:48 pm

Doctor_Harvey wrote:
marbury2curry wrote:im supposed to be leaving for florida tomorrow and i have a terrible fear of heights/flying and all that jazz..so my question for those who share the same fear what do you do to relax yourself(save the masturbation jokes/yes i know about xanex)

From the moment you board the plane until the very minute you depart from the plane you ONLY concentrate on your destination. Nothing else! Only concentrate on the best parts of what you're looking forward to in FL.

but i dont want to go to florida/disney in the first place
siro
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#9 » by siro » Sat Jul 5, 2008 9:49 pm

I personally think flying is fun, especially in business class. Get the window seat! and look at the purtty clouds.
Doctor_Harvey
Banned User

Post#10 » by Doctor_Harvey » Sat Jul 5, 2008 10:01 pm

marbury2curry wrote:
Doctor_Harvey wrote:

but i dont want to go to florida/disney in the first place

Then convince yourself you're flying to France to meet a super-model!
The Kind/Gentle Dr. Harvey---By FAR, the Internet's Number ONE Most calm, relaxed, pleasant, good-natured, grandfatherly-like Poster!
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#11 » by VinnyTheMick » Sat Jul 5, 2008 10:37 pm

I only get scared of flying when I haven't flown in awhile. I just say a prayer while I'm waiting for take off then put on my headphones & hope that there isn't turbulence.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,089

Post#12 » by blueNorange » Sat Jul 5, 2008 10:39 pm

flying is #1 on my list.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#13 » by magicfan4life05 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 10:45 pm

man i got the biggest fear, it comes from one time going to chicago with the BIGGEST TURBULENCE YOU'D EVER IMAGINE

i was sitting next to this guy and when things got really bad, he was trembling and then turned to me and smiled, absolutely one of the creepiest things you'd ever seen IN YOUR LIFE...and then another old lady on the other side was like 'its ok its ok, this is not that bad, it's ok"

fortunately we did make it, but the craziest part was after it was over i saw that lady again and she goes like "OMG I really thought we were gonna Die...."

im like lol.......OMG.....

i hate flying :(
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#14 » by PrecociousNeoph » Sat Jul 5, 2008 10:46 pm

just look at it this way: when you're 40,000 ft in the air you can't be attacked by savage bears. you're perfectly safe.
“Bye, Felicia.”
krustytheclown
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by krustytheclown » Sat Jul 5, 2008 11:12 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:man i got the biggest fear, it comes from one time going to chicago with the BIGGEST TURBULENCE YOU'D EVER IMAGINE

i was sitting next to this guy and when things got really bad, he was trembling and then turned to me and smiled, absolutely one of the creepiest things you'd ever seen IN YOUR LIFE...and then another old lady on the other side was like 'its ok its ok, this is not that bad, it's ok"

fortunately we did make it, but the craziest part was after it was over i saw that lady again and she goes like "OMG I really thought we were gonna Die...."

im like lol.......OMG.....

i hate flying :(

this didnt make me feel any better about it..luckily im not going now so :lol:
rayknick
Veteran
And1: 38

Post#16 » by rayknick » Sat Jul 5, 2008 11:14 pm

Hey! Just got back from a flight today (Sacramento down to Burbank, CA). I have to tell you that before I moved to Los Angeles, I hated flying and almost had anxiety attacks every time I had to fly. But living 3000 miles away from where I grew up meant I had to get used to flying if I wanted to see family and friends. Over the years (and numerous trips to Europe from L.A. and tons of trips to/from NY-LA) I've become much better and I can do a trip like today's 1 hour flight like it's nothing.

My tips as someone who was once in your shoes:

1) Like the good Dr. said concentrate on just what you have in front of you- look forward to an event, nothing big just something that you want to do. If it's a trip you don't want to take but have to then it's either to 'accept' the flight instead of 'resisting' it. Think about it. If you're parents are making you go and there is no way you can get out of it, then you'll be torturing yourself if all you do is dwell on how awful you feel when you fly. Instead accept the flight as necessary and try to enjoy it as best you can,

2) Music/I-Pod when you're allowed to use it on the plane. Don't listen to anything that doesn't relax you. I personally downloaded some pretty decent mediation tunes (they're like 20-30 minutes long) that kind of hypnotized me, got me concentrating on just my breathing and in the best case scenario helped me actually fall asleep.

3) Some people just have bad physical reactions (I get motion sickness a lot and I've always did. I'm the guy who as a kid would go on a ride, come off throw up and then go to the next one!) so it definitley adds to the anxiety. No one wants to feel like crap. My solve for this is either Dramamine or Bonine- over the counter motion sickness medicines that help deal with this problem. It sucks to be one of these people, but its a slight inconvenience and you need to not make a big deal out of it just treat it and you'll be fine.

4) When all else fails- drugs! Seriously, I'm talking legal ones. It sounds to me like you're young so you might have to get parental permission on this, but there are a lot of good one-time anti-anxiety drugs that may at the very least keep you calm for a couple of hours. If it helps you, don't be afraid to use them. Some people need them.

If you can't get drugs, aren't physically sick on planes, can't get access to relaxing music, and are just fearful- my last piece of advice is to just close your eyes, breath in through your nose on a 5 count and out through your mouth (don't need to make noise on the exhale) on a 10-count until your body feels relaxed. Our bodies will relax when we connect to our breathing, it's natures way of helping us deal with fear it's as natural as the adrenaline rush when you're in a time of crisis. Yor mind will begin to talk to you and say stuff like "oh this isn't working, be afraid, you should be afraid, etc..." but you just need to acknowledge the fear, accept the situation and relax as best you can.

It also helps if you have a fun game or something you like doing, makes the time go by faster. And don't freak out about turbulence, it's natural and normal. I used to freak, but then my 'scientist' friend explained to me that turbulence is a good reminder to you that the plane is doing its job, the air pockets are helping the plane to fly so if you hit the 'pothole' every once in a while you should be happy that the plane responds so well.

Oh, and if you're a religous guy it never hurts to pray just because it will make you feel better.

Just my two cents. Hope it works for you!
andrenym00
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#17 » by andrenym00 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 2:04 am

I have had a fear of flying for many years. You can take some xanax or drink alcohol before the flight. Both work great!
eviL
Lead Assistant
And1: 12

Post#18 » by eviL » Sun Jul 6, 2008 7:35 am

YOU GONNA CRASH!
BugsBunny
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#19 » by BugsBunny » Sun Jul 6, 2008 7:43 am

I think if HighRyzer gets into an accident and loses half his brain he will still be the smartest poster on this board. HighRyzer83 is the man!
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#20 » by Bill Bradley » Sun Jul 6, 2008 7:44 am

Yeah, I was on a plane pretty much all day today coming back to Boston from San Francisco. My biggest fear is to be sitting next to a really nasty guy with pet hair all over him, or some stinky ass baby with his mom changing his diaper in front of my face (both of these things happened on my flight before this one). Crashing is the least of my worries.

Return to New York Knicks