ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: I Need a JOB!!!!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

OT: I Need a JOB!!!! 

Post#1 » by Da_Mane_Man » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:54 pm

i just graduated college with an economics degree and i've been looking for jobs but i haven't found anything yet. half the time i don't even know what kind of jobs to look for. i look on all the websites like careerbuilder and monster and college grad but i can't seem to find anything. what kind of job exactly do you get with an econ degree? also, i majored in it but it doesn't mean that i like it very much. i mean it's not the worst thing in the world but sitting in front of a computer and doing the same thing all day doesn't sound too good to me. i just did it because i felt it was a good major and would help me get a nice job. i'm more interested in the creative side of things. maybe marketing or something with sports. sports and movies are my two "passions" i guess you could say. i could also throw music into the mix.

idk, this is tough, anybody have any suggestions, comments, advice? anything that could help me out
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Re: I Need a JOB!!!! 

Post#2 » by StutterStep » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:57 pm

Check out elias sports bureau, etc... and google sports analytics, sports marketing company, etc...
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,657

Post#3 » by cgf » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:59 pm

I love economics but I don't really see where you can go with an degree in economics short of back to academia. I had great ap econ teacher back in high school who used to work in a bank, ended up owning 5 branches before selling them all and becoming a HS teacher.
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#4 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:15 am

A job for what? quit school and live out the true meaning of Punk like i did.
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#5 » by PrecociousNeoph » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:24 am

Da_Mane_Man wrote:i just graduated college with an economics degree and i've been looking for jobs but i haven't found anything yet. half the time i don't even know what kind of jobs to look for. i look on all the websites like careerbuilder and monster and college grad but i can't seem to find anything. what kind of job exactly do you get with an econ degree? also, i majored in it but it doesn't mean that i like it very much. i mean it's not the worst thing in the world but sitting in front of a computer and doing the same thing all day doesn't sound too good to me. i just did it because i felt it was a good major and would help me get a nice job. i'm more interested in the creative side of things. maybe marketing or something with sports. sports and movies are my two "passions" i guess you could say. i could also throw music into the mix.

idk, this is tough, anybody have any suggestions, comments, advice? anything that could help me out

yea I'm in the same boat as you. I've been looking day and night since my last semester and nothing. i've had a bunch of interviews but everyone wants someone with more experience. the only places I've found that will take entry level/recent grads are big corporations where you are in a cubicle all day and make banking software or hedge fund bull that i don't care about. if i'm going to put on the code monkey hat, i want to be working on something people will actually use. i don't even care how much i get paid, i just want to do something i like. wtf.
“Bye, Felicia.”
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#6 » by asdfgh » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:25 am

Da_Mane_Man wrote:i just graduated college with an economics degree and i've been looking for jobs but i haven't found anything yet. half the time i don't even know what kind of jobs to look for. i look on all the websites like careerbuilder and monster and college grad but i can't seem to find anything. what kind of job exactly do you get with an econ degree? also, i majored in it but it doesn't mean that i like it very much. i mean it's not the worst thing in the world but sitting in front of a computer and doing the same thing all day doesn't sound too good to me. i just did it because i felt it was a good major and would help me get a nice job. i'm more interested in the creative side of things. maybe marketing or something with sports. sports and movies are my two "passions" i guess you could say. i could also throw music into the mix.

Same here buddy. I got my undergraduate degree and there was nothing to do. I don't even like economics. People always ask me about the stock market because I have studied Economics and I always explain to them these economic theories to make myself sound smart but I really have no clue because I don't care. So I went to graduate school, I got Masters, I began teaching but I don't make much. It doesn't really bother me but I'm approaching 30 and I really need to start thinking of my future. I'll probably go and get a PhD. But yeah, I know how you feel and I wish I could give you some advice but I can't.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,657

Post#7 » by cgf » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:26 am

echelonNYK wrote:A job for what? quit school and live out the true meaning of Punk like i did.

Gangsta?
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
asdfgh
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by asdfgh » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:28 am

PrecociousNeoph wrote:

yea I'm in the same boat as you. I've been looking day and night since my last semester and nothing. i've had a bunch of interviews but everyone wants someone with more experience. the only places I've found that will take entry level/recent grads are big corporations where you are in a cubicle all day and make banking software or hedge fund bull that i don't care about. if i'm going to put on the code monkey hat, i want to be working on something people will actually use. i don't even care how much i get paid, i just want to do something i like. wtf.

Same here. I have been working for a few years now so I have some experience but I don't have any business experience. Also the other problem is that they would rather do an internal promotion or hire someone they know.
To be honest lately I haven't been looking for work very actively because I just grew sick of the market. The only advice I could give is look for work as actively as you can and don't let rejection bother you.
-Phenom-
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#9 » by -Phenom- » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:45 am

Damn, do I have rethink my major. This sounds terrible. An Economics degree is one of the most versatile degrees you can attain. The degree I'm going for is an Economics degree with a specialization in finance
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Re: OT: I Need a JOB!!!! 

Post#10 » by livintoolive » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:48 am

Economics is great if you know what you want to do, and how you're getting there. Too often people wander into economics as a major and don't know what to do with it when they graduate.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
asdfgh
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by asdfgh » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:53 am

Specialization is more important nowadays than having a supposedly "versatile" major. You think you can do anything, but the competition is so much stronger. Imagine how many people have Economics degrees... Also, think of this... Pretty much everyone with a business, accounting etc. degree is qualified for the same jobs you are qualified. That alone makes the competiton even stronger. There are hundreds of candidates for every job you apply so unless you know the right people or have a very strong resume, in most cases the people who go through your resume will just throw it away.
My brother does a job that only 30 people in the world can do and he makes 100+ k a year.
If you specialize in finance you might be in a better position than the rest of us but you must really enjoy it otherwise don't expect much...
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Post#12 » by livintoolive » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:57 am

asdfgh wrote:Specialization is more important nowadays than having a supposedly "versatile" major. You think you can do anything, but the competition is so much stronger. Imagine how many people have Economics degrees... Also, think of this... Pretty much everyone with a business, accounting etc. degree is qualified for the same jobs you are qualified. That alone makes the competiton even stronger. There are hundreds of candidates for every job you apply so unless you know the right people or have a very strong resume, in most cases the people who go through your resume will just throw it away.
My brother does a job that only 30 people in the world can do and he makes 100+ k a year.
If you specialize in finance you might be in a better position than the rest of us but you must really enjoy it otherwise don't expect much...

Those numbers don't add up. There are very few positions that such few people can do AND is paid so little.

P.S. finance on average pays lower than an econ degree, but has significantly more potential as well.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
asdfgh
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by asdfgh » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:06 am

Well it depends on how much demand there is for that particular job and the location at which he works. He also doesn't have much work experience. Others who do the same job make a lot more money than he does (but he will get there).
My point is that you have to make smart choices when it's still early rather than thinking "Oh you know what, I'll get my degree and I'll worry about what I'll do then". The job market is very tough and you need to have specific goals otherwise you don't stand a chance.
-Phenom-
Sophomore

Post#14 » by -Phenom- » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:11 am

Finance is very lucrative. I just ended my first year of college. Economics, Finance, and accounting are majors I'm interested in. I feel like these will always be important. I still feel like accounting may be the best way for me. But I think Economics with specialization in finance is good. I'm actually building my experience in sales and many customer have told me to become a stockbroker or a car salesman.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#15 » by VinnyTheMick » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:14 am

Start waiting tables. Easy money if you have patience.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
-Phenom-
Sophomore

Post#16 » by -Phenom- » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:17 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:Start waiting tables. Easy money if you have patience.

I am always hearing people I know that work at red lobster saying they made 500-600 in tips in one day.
richardhutnik
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#17 » by richardhutnik » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:25 am

Dude, several things here (excuse me for top posting, but I want to be able to read your message when replying):
1. Less than 10% of all jobs are obtained off the Internet. Anything in help wanted sections on Net or elsewhere is an issue.
2. A LOT of people need a job. Shoot, I need a job. I have a Masters degree, years of experience, IT and otherwise, and have been out of any work for over a year now. The economy is going through shifts and slowdowns.
3. You are NOT going to get a job begging for one on here. I will admit that I had contact with someone on here that could of landed a job awhile ago. That window did close up.
4. NETWORK with people who can possibly get a job. In my situation, an email mailing list on educational games/simulations I am on, is likely my best chance to land something.
5. Do you have any experience at all? If not, consider doing ANYTHING to get some. Volunteer to intern for a stock broker or something. Figure out what you would like to do, then volunteer to Intern.
6. As far as what your degree is good for. It is the fact you have one that prevents you from being screened out of the interviewing process.
7. Again, network, network, network.

Anyhow, that is my take. Good luck. CareerBuilder and Monster are good to get to know buisinesses.

- Rich

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#18 » by VinnyTheMick » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:25 am

-Phenom- wrote:

I am always hearing people I know that work at red lobster saying they made 500-600 in tips in one day.

Waiting tables is an easy way to make immediate money. I wait tables & a lot of my co-workers have college degrees but can't find jobs or can't find jobs that pay enough (I also am finishing up my degree while working a dead end job at comcast sportsnet). What is sad is that some of my coworkers are in their late 30s & have re-signed themselves to the fact that they will be lifetime servers eventhough they have a college degree. It is easy money but I have no interest in making it my lifetime occupation.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
-Phenom-
Sophomore

Post#19 » by -Phenom- » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:41 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:
-Phenom- wrote:

Waiting tables is an easy way to make immediate money. I wait tables & a lot of my co-workers have college degrees but can't find jobs or can't find jobs that pay enough (I also am finishing up my degree while working a dead end job at comcast sportsnet). What is sad is that some of my coworkers are in their late 30s & have re-signed themselves to the fact that they will be lifetime servers eventhough they have a college degree. It is easy money but I have no interest in making it my lifetime occupation.

Yea, you really dont want to be serving people for too long. I have actually thought about it but I cant see myself actually applying to one of those positions unless I know the manager or someone that can get me directly in there
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#20 » by Da_Mane_Man » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:41 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:
-Phenom- wrote:

that's what i'm afraid of. i don't wanna get comfortable with a job like that and then stop looking.

Return to New York Knicks