ImageImageImageImageImage

2010 plan

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

andymoteach
Freshman
And1: 0

2010 plan 

Post#1 » by andymoteach » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:16 pm

Not a Knick fan here but I was just wondering if this was a possibility or if the NBA prohibits this sort of deal.

Could the Knicks go ahead and give Curry an extra $15M next year so he opts out of his contract for the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons?

Is they were able to do that how would it impact their salary cap for those year?

Could they use a similar tactic with Crawford the same year or Jeffries the next year?

I just would figure if the money was pretty good then they could take it and then sign with another team and make up any difference and maybe even come out ahead.

I know it would be giving up a lot but if the Knicks want to be able to sign some players to high contracts in 2010 this might work if it is legal under the rules.
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Re: 2010 plan 

Post#2 » by livintoolive » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:17 pm

The NBA doesn't allow you to restructure a player's existing contract. If this were possible, NY would just restructure all 15 player contracts in one year. Yes they have that much money.

In fact, we can't even buy out our own players. It still sticks to the cap. That is why it is so hard for a team to rebuild in the salary cap era.
doctor fite
Starter
And1: 0

Post#3 » by doctor fite » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:21 pm

guaranteed contracts are a pox on the league.

just like in the nfl the lack of a rookie salary structure is... somewhere between the two leagues salary cap rules is a perfect system for both leeagues.
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Post#4 » by livintoolive » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:24 pm

doctor fite wrote:guaranteed contracts are a pox on the league.

just like in the nfl the lack of a rookie salary structure is... somewhere between the two leagues salary cap rules is a perfect system for both leeagues.

Imagine being able to cut players to get under the cap? We'd just get enough under the cap every summer to sign a max player. Of course it would require a competent GM, but us big market teams could just build all star teams. They would send the Knicks, Lakers and Bulls to the Olympics instead of a US team.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.

Return to New York Knicks