ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Need 4 best excercises to work out upper body 2x a week.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

marik1234xx
Senior
And1: 0

OT: Need 4 best excercises to work out upper body 2x a week. 

Post#1 » by marik1234xx » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:26 pm

I was wondering if anyone here could reccomend me 4 excercises or as low as possible for upper body that would work out everything major. Chest, back, shoulders, biceps and triceps basically. I've heard from someone to do bench press, chinups/pullups, overhead press and seated rowing...would those all be good and solve everything and workout everything major I mentioned?

I'm going to do these twice a week with my lower body program on another 2 days(Vertical Jump Bible) and then the last weekday that I didn't work on and the weekends for rest and recovery. Thanks.
Knicks!
Lottery Bound
Sixth Man

Re: OT: Need 4 best excercises to work out upper body 2x a week. 

Post#2 » by Lottery Bound » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:29 pm

Yeah, I need some exercises for my chest. I need to somehow get rid of these man boobs.
Big Dawg
Junior
And1: 3

Post#3 » by Big Dawg » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:33 pm

The Best excersizes period, are Pull-ups/Chin-ups, Push Ups, Dips, Deadlifts and Squats. There are a lot of variations you can do and doesnt cost a whole lot of money to get started with these.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#4 » by Red Vines » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:37 pm

I think what exercises you choose also depends on what your goal is--do you just want to slim down and get toned or are you trying to add significant muscle mass?
MerkDaHustla
Sophomore

Post#5 » by MerkDaHustla » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:07 pm

The muscles in parentheses are the minor muscle groups while the other is the major muscle group

Chest (triceps): Bench Press or Inclines
Shoulders (triceps): seated Military/overhead press
Upper back(biceps): pulldowns or pullups
Lower back(biceps): seated rows

That should take care of the muscle groups you stated... if possible u should try to step up to 3x a week to work these body parts out for better results.
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,955

Post#6 » by ITGM » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:11 pm

Loose you're virginity and start having sex, the pounds will melt off!
jayknicks
Junior

Post#7 » by jayknicks » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:21 pm

I try to vary my workouts between 3 week increments:
One chest routine that i love is:

50 dips (3-5 seconds up; 3-5 seconds down)

Major Set (5 Sets)
1) Bench Press - 8-10 reps (Half the weight you normally do) 4 sets
2) 10 Pushups (Immediately after)

Flys 8-10 Reps (4 sets)

That'll cut your chest out in no time.

Another routine for chest that gets me stronger pretty quickly and helps build mass

Incline Chest Isolateral (7sets) 6-8 reps (Heavy weight)
Decline Press Chest Isolateral (7sets) 6-8 reps (Heavy Weight)
Flys (7 sets) 6-8 reps (Heavy weight)
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#8 » by NYKnick87 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:22 pm

Deadlifts
Bench/DB press
Military press
Lats pulldowns/BB rows
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#9 » by mjhp911 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:23 pm

Lottery Bound wrote:Yeah, I need some exercises for my chest. I need to somehow get rid of these man boobs.

Aight, Eddy, if you just lay off the Big Macs, you wouldn't have to work so hard! :wink:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,085

Post#10 » by moocow007 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:46 pm

Depends on where you're at already.

Pull-ups, chinups, dips...with or without weights...are the best for upper body but most people can't even do one chin-up much less do it with weights strapped around your waist...so that could get discouraging really fast (not to mention useless to even start).

A lot also depends on the amount of time you have. If you say 4 then that might mean you really don't have a lot of time (i.e. 2+ hours each time) then do the following:

1. Incline Press - this will help take care of some shoulder as well as chest.

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/PectoralClavicular/BBInclinePress.gif

2. Lateral Shoulder Raise - this will help you get that round defined deltoids (shoulders).

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/DeltoidLateral/LVLateralRaise.gif

3. Seated Cable Rows - this helps both get you the v-shape in your back as well as help tone the arms, back of shoulders and triceps.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/CBSeatedRow.html

4. Mixed Barbell Curls - this is something that I do that kinda gets everything pumping and flowing, basically take a barbell (you can also use a weight plate) and start your arms as if you were doing an arm curl, now with each successive curl start swinging (in a controlled motion) your arms as if you were either cross-country skiing or running sprints, increase the motion and the ark until you're using your shoulders, biceps and triceps are all in full extension each swing. Do this as many times as you can and you don't need to use heavy weights at all (trust me, you'll feel it even with light weights after a short while).

[sorry..don't have a picture for this...it's my own concoction that also is used by some of the pro athletes training for both endurance and explosive events]
aveboogie7
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by aveboogie7 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:22 pm

I do a 5x5 workout that focuses on low reps (5 sets of 5 reps during the training phase and 3 sets of 3 reps during the peaking phase), high weight (the max you can lift for 5 of 3 reps) and significant rest (90 secs to 2 mins rest between sets for maximum recovery). This routine also focuses on combination exercises as opposed to isolations as they are seen as an inefficient when training for strength gains.

As for some exercises:

Incline barbell press (or bench press)
military press
weighted pull ups (or lat pulldowns)
barbell row (or bent-over row)

Every other workout I add in isolation work for my biceps and triceps, but it's kept to a minimal as those exercise don't really provide a great increase in functional strength and it cuts down the time you have to spend in the gym. The average person who does a 5x5 workout, probably spends less than an hour lifting.

I'll mix it all up within my workouts as within about 6 weeks time, your body will begin adapting to the stress of your routine and you'll begin to see your strength gains plateau. Variety, the training and peaking phases, keep the gains moving along.

Google the "5x5 workout" and you'll see there's plenty of variations, but the majority of them result in SERIOUS strength gains, and can pack on a significant amount of muscle if you're in a caloric surplus while training.

One thing people overestimate when training is rest. It's important to get ample rest between sets, between workouts as well as your nightly rest.
Amare Stoudamire - check

Chris Paul - on deck

THE KNICKS - WE'RE THE EFFIN' BEST!!!!!!!
New Jersey Knick
Veteran
And1: 28

Post#12 » by New Jersey Knick » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:13 pm

Bench press is the best compound excersize for your upper body. do that and incline presses 8-12 reps...

Dips are good if u can infact push up your weight in that motion (alot of ppl cant)....so u wanna go 8-12 reps for that as well...if u r passing 12 reps then u need to add weight

Shoulder shugs for ya traps and there u have it...those 3 excerises will build mass on your frame....very basic but u only asked for 4 excersizes
sims
Bench Warmer
And1: 442

Post#13 » by sims » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:42 am

marik1234xx wrote:I was wondering if anyone here could reccomend me 4 excercises or as low as possible for upper body that would work out everything major. Chest, back, shoulders, biceps and triceps basically. I've heard from someone to do bench press, chinups/pullups, overhead press and seated rowing...would those all be good and solve everything and workout everything major I mentioned?

I'm going to do these twice a week with my lower body program on another 2 days(Vertical Jump Bible) and then the last weekday that I didn't work on and the weekends for rest and recovery. Thanks.

shadowbox. go as fast and as hard as you can until you can barely move your arms. this will increase your strength and conditioning dramatically.

also do all variations of pullups. add weight when you're ready for it.

don't get hung up on getting big either. size doesn't always equal strength.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#14 » by Knicksfan20 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:47 am

Squats/Deadlifts are the best excersise u can really do for your entire body, if u want to just do upperbody though...

Benchpress
Skull Crushers
Rows/Pulldowns
Curls

That will work your Shoulders/Chest/Triceps/Biceps...I suggest adding a 5th into the workout, and Do squats, they are probably the most important excersise u can do...And that works alot of things.

Also, pullups/Pushups/Weighted situps/Dips are also great to do.
Invictus
Starter
And1: 45

Post#15 » by Invictus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:58 pm

moocow007 wrote:1. Incline Press - this will help take care of some shoulder as well as chest.

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/PectoralClavicular/BBInclinePress.gif

2. Lateral Shoulder Raise - this will help you get that round defined deltoids (shoulders).

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/DeltoidLateral/LVLateralRaise.gif

those links just show count doku with his red lightsaber.
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#16 » by EchelonNYK » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:08 pm

Sit on your ass in a heated room and jack off. you'll lose pounds easy that way.

Return to New York Knicks