ImageImageImageImageImage

Sergio Rodriguez??

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

drift631
Ballboy
And1: 0

Sergio Rodriguez?? 

Post#1 » by drift631 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:45 pm

Has anyone seen Sergio play? From what I've read he has a shaky jumper, but great ball handling and passing skills. Plus, he's only 22.

My intuition tells me that the Knicks won't be in position to draft Rubio or Jennings next year. The Knicks finally have a combination of good coach, a concrete system, and enthusiastic players for the first time in seven years. I don't think that necessarily means playoffs, but it might mean a significant improvement. In other words, I think they'll be too good for a top-5 pick unless good luck or David Stern intervene. Besides, I would rather draft Demar Derozan or James Harden if we get the chance to pick that high.

Portland has a glut of guards and not enough bigs. What would it take to get him?
BugsBunny
Rookie
And1: 2

Re: Sergio Rodriguez?? 

Post#2 » by BugsBunny » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:53 pm

drift631 wrote:Has anyone seen Sergio play? From what I've read he has a shaky jumper, but great ball handling and passing skills. Plus, he's only 22.

My intuition tells me that the Knicks won't be in position to draft Rubio or Jennings next year. The Knicks finally have a combination of good coach, a concrete system, and enthusiastic players for the first time in seven years. I don't think that necessarily means playoffs, but it might mean a significant improvement. In other words, I think they'll be too good for a top-5 pick unless good luck or David Stern intervene. Besides, I would rather draft Demar Derozan or James Harden if we get the chance to pick that high.

Portland has a glut of guards and not enough bigs. Would anyone trade DLee for Rodriguez and a draft pick?

So does us.

Marbury
Nate
Mardy
Duhon
Jamal
Jones
I think if HighRyzer gets into an accident and loses half his brain he will still be the smartest poster on this board. HighRyzer83 is the man!
sims
Bench Warmer
And1: 442

Post#3 » by sims » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:55 pm

not sure that i'd play rodriguez over nate. if we're getting a guard from portland i'd much rather it be koponen.

but it never hurts to take a flier on a promising young point guard.
haterade
Sixth Man
And1: 90

Post#4 » by haterade » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:08 pm

I like Rodriguez also, but I think they're keeping him to help Rudy Fernandez adjust to the NBA. Not sure if Rudy has signed with the Blazers yet but supposedly having Sergio there was a big reason why Rudy was supposed to sign.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,709

Post#5 » by cgf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:14 pm

A PG of Rubio or Jennings caliber is much rare a thing than a SG who'll shine in this system. If we get a chance at either one it'd be inexcusable for Walsh to pass on them, assuming both continue to progress and work on their weaknesses, Rubio's jumper and jennings strength and D.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#6 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:22 pm

BugsBunny wrote:So does us.

Marbury
Nate
Mardy
Duhon
Jamal
Jones

well jones is gone but i feel you
drift631
Ballboy

Post#7 » by drift631 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:43 pm

BugsBunny wrote:

So does us.

Marbury
Nate
Mardy
Duhon
Jamal
Jones

I see what you mean, but like NLR said, Jones is gone. I think Marbury is a dead man walking in terms of his Knicks career, so we could have a spot for another guard in the near future.

CGF,

I hear what you are saying, but im not sure if those guys will even be available next year. Another site I visit suggested that Rubio might delay entering the draft until 2010 to ensure he is ready for the NBA. As far as Jennings: he is supertalented, but what if he flops in Europe? This ain't the AAU circuit, high school, or the NCAA for that matter. It might take him more than one season to justify his place as a high lottery pick in the eyes of GM. I don't wanna get my hopes up the same way I did with DRose this year.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,709

Post#8 » by cgf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:48 pm

I don't think Jennings flops in europe, he pprobably won't dominate but he'll play well enough we're he's worth a top 10 pick, and I don't see us not picking in the top 10, as for Rubio if he improves his jumpshot there's no reason for him to stay, his jumpshot is the only thing preventing him from being the #1 pick right now.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
LOOSH
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#9 » by LOOSH » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:38 pm

haterade wrote:I like Rodriguez also, but I think they're keeping him to help Rudy Fernandez adjust to the NBA. Not sure if Rudy has signed with the Blazers yet but supposedly having Sergio there was a big reason why Rudy was supposed to sign.

We already signed Rudy and Sergio did not factor into his decision at all for him. Sergio is pretty unhappy in Portland right now (buried on the bench) and would certainly welcome a trade -- he would be a perfect fit for D'Antoni's system, although his jumper is completely broken right now, but I think the Blazers will probably keep him around for the rest of the year to help Fernandez adapt the the States.
nikolokolus
Junior

Post#10 » by nikolokolus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:08 pm

Like Loosh above, I'm a Blazer fan, and of all the places in the NBA where I think Sergio could thrive my guess would be the Knicks under D'Antoni, but I can't think of any players on the Knicks roster whom Kevin Pritchard would really covet outside of David Lee ... but even that would be hard to fathom with the recent acquisition of Ike Diogu in the trade that netted us Bayless.

I can see Pritchard trading Rodriguez for a lottery protected first rounder possibly, but I doubt Donnie Walsh would be willing to give up draft picks that are going to be sorely needed in the rebuilding process.

My take on Sergio also mirrors Loosh, they guy is pretty unhappy rotting on the bench ... but he really does have a broken shot and plays no defense; if he could fix one of those weaknesses he could indeed be a pretty special player, as it is now defenses just sag off of him cutting off passing lanes and dare him to shoot the ball -- he would only be successful in a running offense, he's pretty abysmal in the half-court.

Return to New York Knicks