ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Summer job

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Wrighteous
Banned User
And1: 0

OT: Summer job 

Post#1 » by Wrighteous » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:17 pm

Hey guys, I'm 18 years old and I'm looking for a job to make some money during the summer. I recently got laid off from my previous job because of some BS about me leaving for college..anyways, I've been looking on craigslist and everywhere and I can't find anything. Can anyone help me? your help or advice would be greatly appreciated..
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Re: OT: Summer job 

Post#2 » by PrecociousNeoph » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:26 pm

you could try going to some of the local businesses, like food chains or something and ask them if they have any openings. when i was your age I did everything from caddying to day camp for kids, to working with kids with special needs, to working at an animal hospital... it didn't matter what I did i just needed money. although try to find something you think you'll like. obviously there's no room to be picky since in your situation you basically should take what you can get, but i can tell you that carrying a leather bag full of some old fart's nine irons all day in the hot sun sucks. although the tips are good. i liked working with kids though, and when I got to work at the animal hospital I got to do cool shyt like test blood samples for worm infections in the lab. it was awesome. so yea just ask some of the local businesses around where you live if there are any summer opportunities.
“Bye, Felicia.”
Royal Vlad
Banned User

Post#3 » by Royal Vlad » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:40 pm

Don´t work for a local business or day camp, as that will train you to be a slave. Spend your time doing an internship with business people, or work alongside business people in a professional environment and ask them questions. You need to surround yourself with success to be success.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#4 » by mjhp911 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:44 pm

So I guess the 'cleaning crew' at Yankee Stadium is out of the question?
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#5 » by King of Canada » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:44 pm

I worked for 2 years at a Sunglass Hut during University. Super cool company to work for, lots of free high end stuff, a little commission, and you get to sit around and sell stuff to hot girls all day long.

Just the right job for an 18 year old.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#6 » by PrecociousNeoph » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Royal Vlad wrote:Don´t work for a local business or day camp, as that will train you to be a slave. Spend your time doing an internship with business people, or work alongside business people in a professional environment and ask them questions. You need to surround yourself with success to be success.

hahaha. so kids just doing a normal summer gig are "slaves", as opposed to businesses in a 'professional environment' that make you corporate clones?

high comedy+
“Bye, Felicia.”
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#7 » by NYKAL » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:48 pm

I don't know where you live but, if Hempstead L.I. is not too fare then leave me a message.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#8 » by mjhp911 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:50 pm

NYKAL wrote:I don't know where you live but, if Hempstead L.I. is not too fare then leave me a message.

Translation: have lots of 'lube ready, coz' it's gonna' be a wild summer for you! :wink:
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#9 » by King of Canada » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:54 pm

mjhp911 wrote:
NYKAL wrote:I don't know where you live but, if Hempstead L.I. is not too fare then leave me a message.

Translation: have lots of 'lube ready, coz' it's gonna' be a wild summer for you! :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Post#10 » by livintoolive » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:15 pm

PrecociousNeoph wrote:
Royal Vlad wrote:Don´t work for a local business or day camp, as that will train you to be a slave. Spend your time doing an internship with business people, or work alongside business people in a professional environment and ask them questions. You need to surround yourself with success to be success.

hahaha. so kids just doing a normal summer gig are "slaves", as opposed to businesses in a 'professional environment' that make you corporate clones?

high comedy+

Supreme Allah's not too far off.

I volunteered a summer at the YMCA in Flushing (of all places) during the summer before I entered high school. Then I worked the phone and data entry for my uncle's small business (yes, I know, lucky family connection). I used these 2 experiences plus my HS training for my CCNA (lucky again) to land me a well paying internship with a network consulting company during the summer before my senior year in HS. Held on to that for 2 years, made good money and any IT consulting helped my resume look good. Of course, 1 year after starting my internship I realized I wanted to be a finance major and never work with computers again...but I held on to it for resume value and money. After that, I worked paid finance internships for the following year before my jr year of college started. At that point i decided to concentrate on my studies, especially since I had money saved up from working. This has put me in a position of getting better internships/jobs than my peers and in turn having a resume that stands out and financial stability. Paid PROFESSIONAL internships can be difficult to obtain, but they help you out tremendously. And it's not that hard to get if you start early (that's for all you young'ns on the board that will undoubtedly not listen).
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
Wrighteous
Banned User

Post#11 » by Wrighteous » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:32 am

I live in Brooklyn so that would be too long of a commute, thanks for trying to help though.

and LOL @ mjhp's comment..

Return to New York Knicks