ImageImageImageImageImage

ot: watchmen trailera

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

doctor fite
Starter
And1: 0

ot: watchmen trailera 

Post#1 » by doctor fite » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:50 pm

anyone see it? i think it looks promising... clearly one of the best graphic novels of all time... i was disappointed when terry gilliam was taken off the project... but, we'll see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC6Bz0GJFrU
krustytheclown
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Re: ot: watchmen trailera 

Post#2 » by krustytheclown » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:55 pm

this looks AWESOME
haterade
Sixth Man
And1: 90

Post#3 » by haterade » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:57 pm

Been waiting for this for awhile now. Definitely one of my favorite graphic novels, I'm hoping it does it justice.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#4 » by asdfgh » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:58 pm

I don't think this will work, but we'll see. Usually when you see a trailer where there's very little revealed about the story, that's probably because there's not much of a story to tell.
Who's playing Roscharch? And who is that hot chick?
I only recognized Billy Crudup in the trailer. He's playing doctor Manhattan, right?

a high quality version of the trailer:
http://www.rollthefatman.com/home/?p=327
vinnie_vegas69
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 71

Post#5 » by vinnie_vegas69 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:42 am

Sweet. I was gutted I didn't get to see this the other night when I saw The Dark Knight, but I guess they didn't ship it to Australia with the movie, given the early release.

Jackie Earle Haley is playing Rorschach. On the whole, they've gone with slightly lesser known actors for the roles, and cast them right. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is perfect for the Comedian.

I assume the hot chick you're talking about is Silk Spectre II, played by Malin Akerman?

I'm excited for this.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#6 » by Taget » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:41 am

Definately I'll see it. Glad they waited since the Cold War paranoia translates better now than if they had it made it while Clinton was in office.

My main qualm is Zack Snyder. Technically the 300 was fine but it lacked depth and soul. Translating a work such as The Watchmen (and I can't see how one could even cover it in one 2 hour movie) is a massive undertaking with it's infinite subtilties. Just taking the picture frames in the novel and using CGI magic to put them on film isn't enough. You can succeed technically and still miss the big picture.
Immortal King
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Immortal King » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:44 am

I've found that I am personally not a graphic novel turned movie kind of guy....I didn't like V for Vendetta, 300, Wanted, or Sin City
Bringing back that New York swagger
j127
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#8 » by j127 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:14 pm

I've been waiting for this movie for the longest time, but I'll remain skeptical about it.

Watchmen doesn't seem like a graphic novel that can be easily translated onto the screen. The dialogue and frame by frame paneling flowed perfectly in the graphic novel. I don't know if anyone can pull that off for a movie. I could be totally wrong, but Alan Moore himself said Watchmen wasn't meant to be a movie. It was supposed to be a story that only a comic book could pull off.

Also, the characters and plot are very deep. As Taget mentioned above, can they pull that off in a couple of hours? I'm sure a lot of the small detailing that makes the story so good will be skipped over.

Anyways, that's just me though. I'll watch it of course, and I very much hope to like it. But I remain very skeptical at the same time.
-Ducky-
Starter
And1: 6

Post#9 » by -Ducky- » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:45 pm

It better be rated R.

Return to New York Knicks