ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - The Dark Knight = Best Movie Ever.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

DrSithMirth
Head Coach
And1: 11
Location: The Black Lodge. Raise up off me, lest you find yourself with us. Under the sycamore trees..

Re: OT - The Dark Knight = Best Movie Ever. 

Post#161 » by DrSithMirth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:18 am

Perdido/BR wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:Bale was the one who kind of underwhelmed me a little bit, but I guess thats just the character he played since Batman isnt a very emotional guy.

it could be worse ...... remember george clooney.

yikes

Like we could forget that.... arnold, chris o'donnel, clooney, alicia silverstone and joel schumacher all involved in the same movie... that, and the nipples.. I still have nightmares.

Oh, god, I was so pissed when I walked out from that movie. And it's not even Clooney's fault. He felt terrible about it, too. No, the blame goes to Joel Schumacher for that piece of drivel. And the writers, and the producers. Damn, I was so pissed, man.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
doctor fite
Starter
And1: 0

Post#162 » by doctor fite » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:52 am

Dr. Sith Mirth- i didnt not like maggie because she's ugly. her being ugly was just an added bonus to her not compelling me at all as an actress. she just annoys me; something about her... and i did think ledger did a great job but i just hardly see the oscar buzz if he's alive today.

btw the writing in this film as amazing.

i also agree that it wasnt clooneys fault and that he might have made a decent batman had schumacher not been a complete imbecile and a flaming homo (not that theres anything wrong with being gay) but he just made batman into a gay disco movie and that isnt what batman is.

btw... many many years ago i decided that if i ever cast a batman movie i would have liked to have seen Lawrence Fishburn as batman/bruce wayne and tim roth as the joker. lawrence is way too old and fat now to pull it off and yes i know he's black... i dont care. fishburn could have pulled off wayne in a refreshing way and batman's grit would be downright scary.

its just my opinion... im now bracing for all the bashing.
Immortal King
Assistant Coach

Post#163 » by Immortal King » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:02 am

doctor fite wrote:Dr. Sith Mirth- i didnt not like maggie because she's ugly. her being ugly was just an added bonus to her not compelling me at all as an actress. she just annoys me; something about her... and i did think ledger did a great job but i just hardly see the oscar buzz if he's alive today.

i also agree that it wasnt clooneys fault and that he might have made a decent batman had schumacher not been a complete imbecile and a flaming homo (not that theres anything wrong with being gay) but he just made batman into a gay disco movie and that isnt what batman is.

btw... many many years ago i decided that if i ever cast a batman movie i would have liked to have seen Lawrence Fishburn as batman/bruce wayne and tim roth as the joker. lawrence is way too old and fat now to pull it off and yes i know he's black... i dont care. fishburn could have pulled off wayne in a refreshing way and batman's grit would be downright scary.

Good choice with Fishbourne. He is more like the Batman I remember from my kid days watching the cartoons. Don't think Tim Roth would have made a good Joker though. I don't see him pulling off Joker...
Bringing back that New York swagger
OoAnd1
Head Coach
And1: 14

Post#164 » by OoAnd1 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:14 am

Perdido/BR wrote:Decent/Good plot, good vibe, good actors = good movie, not great. (which, in an age of so many sh*tty movies, is a lot)

+1. I feel bad NOT saying it's the BEST. MOVIE. EVER. But it was epically good. Only two "bad" things:

1) Recasting Rachel's role messes up the continuity for me....making it difficult to worry about her during the film. But I still do, just not as much as if it were the same actress.

2) Plot was complicated and all over the place. I mean it flowed well through the movie...I never felt confused, but if I were to summarize the plot on paper....I wouldn't know where to begin and I would prolly get lost trying to explain all of the many little things and how it all fit together.

But then again, do I really want another "superhero-movie" plot? No. Watching 'Dark Knight' felt like watching a Jason Bourne movie....realism, action, mystery, twists. I can't even call it the best superhero-movie cuz now this Batman franchise is more comparable to those of Bourne, Hunt or Bond than those of Spider-Man, Cyclops, Hulk or IronMan.

Great feat considering how campy Batman used to be on film or television. Even 1989 Batman (as good as it was) was still just an awesome super-hero movie. This new franchise has been so epic they can basically end the "trilogy" right here after two movies. It's been that satisfying...I mean, really, how can they top these two movies?
DrSithMirth
Head Coach
Location: The Black Lodge. Raise up off me, lest you find yourself with us. Under the sycamore trees..

Post#165 » by DrSithMirth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:27 pm

doctor fite wrote:Dr. Sith Mirth- i didnt not like maggie because she's ugly. her being ugly was just an added bonus to her not compelling me at all as an actress. she just annoys me; something about her... and i did think ledger did a great job but i just hardly see the oscar buzz if he's alive today.

Hell, I'm not gonna bash you at all for the Fishbourne casting. He's the man; one of my favorite actors all the way back to Apocalypse Now and School Daze and Deep Cover. Actually, back in his Deep Cover days, when he was smoldering with fury, is when he would have been the greatest casting choice in history. But the greatest choice for Fishbourne as a superhero (a few years ago)? The Green Lantern. He would have been the *man* in that role.

Tim Roth is great in whatever he wants to do. I'm not sure about the Joker, but I could see him doing something even now in this version of the Batman universe, if only because he can be such an intense actor.

Yep, Schumacher made it into a gay club, no doubt. I used to do the gay clubs regularly, too (I used to be a house-head. Best house music used to be in the gay and lesbian clubs.), and I'll say this: Batman don't swing like that. Schumacher screwed it up but good for all of us.

BTW, just so all y'all know: If you are secure in your sexuality and enjoy the kind of music they're playing, you go to the gay/lesbian club and you get your groove on. Why? Because the *straight* (or bisexual) women who go there with their girlfriends will get on that dancefloor with a straight dude and do whatEVER comes to mind. I sh*t you not, and I miss those muthaf*ckin' days, man. :P Because the ratio of straight women to straight men in the gay club is, like, 5:1. And all the women were hot, and they were all mine, baby. They were all mine.

But you gotta be secure in your sexuality, because at some point you're gonna have to bat away a dude or two if you roll up in there. (Unless you're ugly. In which case, good luck with the women, too.) :lol:
DrSithMirth
Head Coach

Post#166 » by DrSithMirth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:36 pm

OoAnd1 wrote:
Perdido/BR wrote:Decent/Good plot, good vibe, good actors = good movie, not great. (which, in an age of so many sh*tty movies, is a lot)

+1. I feel bad NOT saying it's the BEST. MOVIE. EVER. But it was epically good. Only two "bad" things:

1) Recasting Rachel's role messes up the continuity for me....making it difficult to worry about her during the film. But I still do, just not as much as if it were the same actress.

2) Plot was complicated and all over the place. I mean it flowed well through the movie...I never felt confused, but if I were to summarize the plot on paper....I wouldn't know where to begin and I would prolly get lost trying to explain all of the many little things and how it all fit together.

But then again, do I really want another "superhero-movie" plot? No. Watching 'Dark Knight' felt like watching a Jason Bourne movie....realism, action, mystery, twists. I can't even call it the best superhero-movie cuz now this Batman franchise is more comparable to those of Bourne, Hunt or Bond than those of Spider-Man, Cyclops, Hulk or IronMan.

Great feat considering how campy Batman used to be on film or television. Even 1989 Batman (as good as it was) was still just an awesome super-hero movie. This new franchise has been so epic they can basically end the "trilogy" right here after two movies. It's been that satisfying...I mean, really, how can they top these two movies?

Haha, I like how you put Cyclops in there outta nowhere. I was like "Cyclops?!?! Wtf did that come from?"

I agree with your comparison. It did feel more like a Bourne or Hunt movie (better acting, writing and directing than Hunt, of course), and I liked that. If they are able to keep the quality up, they can make a few more movies. The Batman universe has tons of great, and complex, villains to work with. Two-Face, Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, and Man-Bat all immediately come to mind. Ignore any previous movie presentations of them. Their portrayals in the comic books are sometimes tragic and sometimes even heroic. These first two movies have been loyal to the best of the comic book writings (including Frank Miller's writings), so I wouldn't be surprised if they really wow us with some of these characters.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#167 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:18 pm

Remember they are going for as much realism as possible in these movies versus the other superhero movies. Nobody has superpowers per se. Batman has an extensive collection of tools. The Joker's odd appearance is wearing makeup. Two-Face is a severe burn victim (although that one stretched it, in the world they created he would have died from infection or shock at least. That's why I didn't think he fit in the movie all that well.)

Watching the film a second time, however, it doesn't hold up as well. The plot is very convoluted (and people complained about POTC: AWE) and there are at least two movies. Some of the plot twists you aren't given a chance at seeing in advance (the stuff with Gordon) and the movie really is a half-hour or so too long.

I don't think the Joker/Two-Face stuff worked particularly well and could have been excised. But I suppose the point is that anything with the Joker is supposed to be anarchy. I also don't get it. Hasn't Bale's Batman killed before? I could have sworn that he has so I'm baffled by a certain confrontation scene where he could end the movie but doesn't. Even then I think the film should have ended there rather than relaunched into a completely new plot.
DrSithMirth
Head Coach

Post#168 » by DrSithMirth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:23 pm

I don't think Bale's Batman has killed anyone. Obviously people have flopped around all over the place, but I don't think he's killed anyone. Batman, as a rule, doesn't kill people. It's one of the beefs I had with Tim Burton's Batman. Batman would not have let the Joker fall of a building to his death.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#169 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:58 pm

DrSithMirth wrote:I don't think Bale's Batman has killed anyone. Obviously people have flopped around all over the place, but I don't think he's killed anyone. Batman, as a rule, doesn't kill people. It's one of the beefs I had with Tim Burton's Batman. Batman would not have let the Joker fall of a building to his death.

If I recall he didn't let him fall, but the Joker slipped through his fingers or pulled away. But anyway, I didn't know that Batman didn't kill. What makes him so scary then? Again with the movie I'm not sure what the moral struggle was then and that scene becomes even weirder.
richardhutnik
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#170 » by richardhutnik » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:36 pm

blueNorange wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:Bale was the one who kind of underwhelmed me a little bit, but I guess thats just the character he played since Batman isnt a very emotional guy.

it could be worse ...... remember george clooney.

yikes

So, in the "Battle of the Batmans" you are saying you want Clooney to bite the big one first?
http://black20.com/black20-trailer-park/battle-batmans

- Rich

:-P
Invictus
Starter
And1: 45

Post#171 » by Invictus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:17 pm

I saw it on imax this past sat nite and I have to say that it is incredibly spectacular. I'm not a hardcore batman fan, but I do read some comics occasionally and I will sum it up like this:

The Dark Knight is the best movie ever that features comic book characters. The bar for comic book movies has been permanently raised and woe to those studios that try and aim for the same level of excellence and will inevitably fail miserably.

You cannot compare Dark Knight to any other previous comic-book movie, with the exception of Batman Begins and to some extent, the previous Tim Burton Batman movies.

The reason is Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Hellboy, Superman...they're meant to be entertaining, and they are.

But Batman is different from any of these. If you know anything about the true comic character...Batman is the first anti-hero ever widely introduced into mass media. He is dark (contrast vs. iron man, spider-man). He is menacing, he is not personable, and uses psychological weaponry as much as, and perhaps even more so, than all his gadgets. The campy batman series of the 60s and the latter batman movies after batman returns are COMPLETELY opposite of what the true batman character, as originally conceived, is supposed to be. I know this even without having read more than 13 batman comics my entire life. Unlike any and all of the superhero movies...batman is just a normal man. Tony stark's ego grants him superpowers because of his suit...but batman is just a mortal, normal man. It's his intellect and psychology that really separates him from every other superhero...there's a reason why, in the comics, even Superman is afraid of him.

That being said, the Dark Knight really probes the depths of madness that Batman has to constantly battle.

The movie depicts Batman in a somewhat tragic situation because he is forever destined to do what he does with no respite, and there are people who will die because of this.

The Joker...all I have to say that Heath's performance is not over-hyped at all. Watching the movie, Heath Ledger disappeared. Jack Nicholson was still there when he played the Joker...you could see the actor behind the make up.

But with Ledger's joker...you completely forget that the actor behind the makeup and costuming is dead. And that's completely ridiculous and is a testament to the masterful performance of Ledger. When the movie was over it really hit me that Ledger is gone and I have to admit I felt a genuine sense of sadness and loss...but I never got that throughout the entire movie, even knowing that the actor who plays the Joker died 5 months ago going into the movie...that's just superior acting right there. If the actor can make the audience forget who he is, and just see the character the whole movie....that's why his performance is oscar worthy.

In summary there are those who will like Iron Man or whatever as a better movie, and that's obviously fine cause that's there opinion.

But with the Dark Knight, you have to use your intellect. There are many themes going on simulatneously that deal with the notion of society and terrorism, as well as posing the questions what exactly is good? what exactly is evil? what principals must be compromised, if any, to combat evil wrought by a pure agent of chaos (the joker)?

This is a DARK movie. This movie shows what happens when the very best of humanity is forced to combat evil personified in a villain that is sinister and unpredictable, with a complete and utter disregard for human life, including his own...and the results are not good.

For all the action and violence involved...Nolan wants you as the viewer to use your mind and look beyond all the explosions and martial artistry going on. You know this because Harvey Dent's, and Joker's dialogue with Batman all underscore the themes that are going on.

This movie really is in a league of its own, when compared to the other comic book movies.

Strip away the comic aspect of it...and the movie is still damn good. Seeing it on imax is unquestionably "operatic" as the Times called it...you just don't use "operatic" and "comic book movie" together. But you get the Dark Knight if you do.
EnigmatiC
General Manager
And1: 1,477

Post#172 » by EnigmatiC » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:15 am

sorry to bump this but I saw it for a second time last night when I wasn't ripped/falling asleep and liked it even more
Bballboy23
Starter

Post#173 » by Bballboy23 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:50 pm

wow deff one of the best movies of the year. I usually hate these types... more of a Judd Apatow, superbad, 40 yr virgin comedy type. I saw batman begins on monday, this on tuesday, so i didnt even have to wait. And the best part... I saw the movie in a movie theatre.... for free!!! HA! Me and litterally everyone i know in my town got in for free thanks to jimmy dolan and his optimum reward free movie tuesdays.
richardhutnik
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#174 » by richardhutnik » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:17 pm

Invictus wrote:I saw it on imax this past sat nite and I have to say that it is incredibly spectacular. I'm not a hardcore batman fan, but I do read some comics occasionally and I will sum it up like this:

The Dark Knight is the best movie ever that features comic book characters. The bar for comic book movies has been permanently raised and woe to those studios that try and aim for the same level of excellence and will inevitably fail miserably.

You cannot compare Dark Knight to any other previous comic-book movie, with the exception of Batman Begins and to some extent, the previous Tim Burton Batman movies.

I find this ironic. The thing that Hulk got ripped to shreds for, being dark, brooding and serious, is what people are raving about in The Dark Knight? I find it ironic, because I liked Hulk.

Because of how it got ripped to shreds, The Incredible Hulk was a reboot of the Hulk movie, and made lighter in nature, with more action and "Hulk Smash".

Bar raised? So long as the bar means movies like Ghost Rider with Cage aren't made, then I am in favor of it.

- Rich
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx
Invictus
Starter
And1: 45

Post#175 » by Invictus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:44 am

richardhutnik wrote:
Invictus wrote:I saw it on imax this past sat nite and I have to say that it is incredibly spectacular. I'm not a hardcore batman fan, but I do read some comics occasionally and I will sum it up like this:

I find this ironic. The thing that Hulk got ripped to shreds for, being dark, brooding and serious, is what people are raving about in The Dark Knight? I find it ironic, because I liked Hulk.

Because of how it got ripped to shreds, The Incredible Hulk was a reboot of the Hulk movie, and made lighter in nature, with more action and "Hulk Smash".

Bar raised? So long as the bar means movies like Ghost Rider with Cage aren't made, then I am in favor of it.

- Rich

Two COMPLETELY different characters, not to mention two completely different products. That's basing the comparison only on the fact that they come from comic books. Do you know much about the Batman character? Do you know much about Hulk? They're completely different.

Brooding, Dark, serious? Can't just use three adjectives to wholesale compare two movies.

Ex. The Lakers are young, athletic, and are tall in the front court. The Knicks are young, athletic, and tall in the front court. Do you find it ironic that this entire board destroys the knicks on a nightly basis, yet we laud and praise kobe and his gang of almost-won's?

Hulk required 0 use of one's brain. Banner turns into the hulk, banner's love life is in shreds, banner can't free himself from the condition. Banner is a threat to humanity...Banner's father has a terrible relationship with his son and subsequently becomes the absorbing man.

It takes more than being "dark, brooding, and serious" to make a movie actually GOOD. TDK has characterization and depth that Hulk sourly lacked. There are many themes and sharp questions that are asked. The plot was completely unpredictable.

Batman, per the comics, is SUPPOSED to be dark. His personality, character, and background were all purposely made to engender a dark character, where the line between hero and villain is blurred.
Dark Knight is closer to the source material than any of the previous movies.

By contrast, Hulk is NOT supposed to be dark. They took that aim to modernize the character and market it to the film masses. In the comics he is depicted as a savage brute that is occasionally contained by a brilliant scientist. Hulk is as clearly defined as night and day. Batman is not.

They're totally different.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#176 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:49 am

I'm watching Dark Knight again. Once you really start to think about it it doesn't hold up as well. There are two schemes set in motion by both Batman and Joker that don't make any sense. (They involve Gordon and the showdown with the Bat Pod) when you look at what comes next. Batman's choice of who to save doesn't make sense. He said he was going after one and then switched positions later in the film.

And finally, watching this again, I realised who Heath Ledger's Joker is ... he's Klown from the HBO Spawn animated series. Tell me the voices and laughs aren't the same.

Still love the Joker, but the rest of it was overly done and too long.

It's doing boffo box office, though.
DesignStudio
Banned User

Post#177 » by DesignStudio » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:05 am

What was Batman doing walking around in his Bat suit? How is Batman going to roll up in a club and start beating up people or walk into a police station?

Why did he show up in Bruce Wayne's penthouse and save Maggie by falling out a window while the Joke is still in his house.
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#178 » by Da_Mane_Man » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:51 am

i saw this movie last night and it was really good. heath ledger was obviously amazing in it. he definitely deserves an oscar. one of the few movies i want to watch again after seeing it.
Jerryd Bayless
Banned User

Post#179 » by Jerryd Bayless » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:06 am

i hear it's good in imax

wanna see it, shall see it. but idk if you have to watch the other ones to watch this one? to understand it..
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#180 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:03 am

Am I the only one that thought Batman Begins was a boring movie? I know many of you guys loved it, but I tried watching it 4 times, and for some reason find myself falling asleep midway through. The last time I watched it was the other day on FX, and I had to fight and stay awake just to see it til the end because I wanted to see Dark Knight, but didnt want to until I saw Begins throughout. So I really wasnt that impressed with Begins, I thought it was too long and mostly boring. But Dark Knight, wow Dark Knight was something else. Let me tell you this, Heath Ledger made that movie, I mean wow I dont even know what to say about that performence. Just print his name on the Oscar right now because nobody should even be considered or nominated, his performence is like the Knicks winning a championship, you might spend half of your life and not see it repeated.

Overall very good movie, the ending sent chills down my back for some reason.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards

Return to New York Knicks