ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Obama New Yorker Magazine cover

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

richardhutnik
Banned User
And1: 10

OT: Obama New Yorker Magazine cover 

Post#1 » by richardhutnik » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:33 pm

You can see it here:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.shared ... r71408.jpg

My take on the cover is if it leads to people finding all this email rumors float about, summed up in the cover, as being nonsense, it is a plus for Obama. McCain's camp even denounced it.

Anyhow, it is said to be satire, but apparently considered to have failed miserably.

- Rich
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx
eviL
Lead Assistant
And1: 12

Re: OT: Obama New Yorker Magazine cover 

Post#2 » by eviL » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:35 pm

:nonono:
richardhutnik
Banned User

Post#3 » by richardhutnik » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:37 pm

Here is Red State Update on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YiNw5AMshg

Also get a bigger picture of the cover.

- Rich
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx
supergallinari
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by supergallinari » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:38 pm

richardhutnik
Banned User

Post#5 » by richardhutnik » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:43 pm

supergallinari wrote:Image

Wonkette strikes again!

- Rich
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#6 » by VinnyTheMick » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:22 am

Kind of an old story, no? I think that it is dangerous given how stupid some Americans in fly over states are but those people are likely not to read the mag anyway.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#7 » by madvillian » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:15 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:Kind of an old story, no? I think that it is dangerous given how stupid some Americans in fly over states are but those people are likely not to read the mag anyway.

Have you spent much time in upstate New York? You'd be surprised how much ignorance prevails in such an "enlightened" state such as NY.

This has nothing to do with culture or education or blue collar midwesterners thinking Obama is Muslim and everything to do with a very poor decision by the New Yorker.

The cover, frankly, is offensive to everyone. Michele in an afro, Obama in a turban -- like all women in afros and men in turbans hate, hate hate America. Of course, that's the joke, they don't! Wow, how funny. Laugh it up.

Listen, I get satire, I get irony, I grew up reading Adbusters and David Foster Wallace and Dave Eggers -- but this is just dumb.

The editors at the New Yorker should realize that a visual medium like a mag cover cannot possibly convey the complexities that all good (and subversive) satire must attain.

/off soapbox
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#8 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:17 am

The New Yorker is much more liberal than it is conservative,

that cover is satire - but it is directed against the conservatives. it lampoons everything they have accused Obama of.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,636

Post#9 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:23 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:Kind of an old story, no? I think that it is dangerous given how stupid some Americans in fly over states are but those people are likely not to read the mag anyway.

"Likely not to read the mag anyway"? They probably don't even get it out there. But I agree with your point. The problem with the cover is that it had no by-line on it explaining the point for the less erudite.
Free Palestine
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#10 » by VinnyTheMick » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:26 am

madvillian wrote:

Have you spent much time in upstate New York? You'd be surprised how much ignorance prevails in such an "enlightened" state such as NY.

This has nothing to do with culture or education or blue collar midwesterners thinking Obama is Muslim and everything to do with a very poor decision by the New Yorker.

The cover, frankly, is offensive to everyone. Michele in an afro, Obama in a turban -- like all women in afros and men in turbans hate, hate hate America. Of course, that's the joke, they don't! Wow, how funny. Laugh it up.

Listen, I get satire, I get irony, I grew up reading Adbusters and David Foster Wallace and Dave Eggers -- but this is just dumb.

The editors at the New Yorker should realize that a visual medium like a mag cover cannot possibly convey the complexities that all good (and subversive) satire must attain.

/off soapbox

Just so we're clear, I don't like the cover at all. I live in DC now so I've talked about it at nauseum over the past week so I really didn't feel like going into chapter & verse on the issue.

Return to New York Knicks