ImageImageImageImageImage

Anyone here still have hope for Eddy?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Anyone here still have hope for Eddy? 

Post#1 » by RHODEY » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:03 pm

Lets assume Zach is moved b4 next season…

How you think Curry’s production will be effected in D’antoni’s running/quick shooting offense? Will his scoring average increase or will his lack of conditioning be more of a factor in Mike’s offense? Is it possible that Curry’s high FG% climb even higher with easier shots? Basically can Mike actually make Eddy a force to be reckoned with.... an "Amare Stoudamire" light so to speak?
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,401

Re: Anyone here still have hope for Eddy? 

Post#2 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:08 pm

Eddy Curry does not love the game of basketball, that's the bottom line. Eddy has several huge huge weaknesses which he has not worked to improve at all over his career. A new system isn't going to change any of that.
Ice-Tea
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Ice-Tea » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:09 pm

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,913

Post#4 » by god shammgod » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:15 pm

i don't know man. i was once a supporter but it's hard to believe at this point. with his size and athletic ability he should dominate but he just doesn't try hard. it doesn't seem that important to him. he might change at some point but it might be foolish to expect it. his fg% was never a problem and d'antoni doesn't do a lot of setting up guys in the post. unless walsh pulls off a miracle, i expect zach to be here as well. so probably not.
FlashFlood
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#5 » by FlashFlood » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:24 pm

He's nothing more than a borderline all-star. He might make it when he's starting to get old and he realizes how he's misspent his athletic youth, but is NY going to be in a position to use him at that point? If he comes into camp in shape, all bets are off. His potential has always been sky high, and his only problem is combining natural athleticism and skill with hardwork.
Ice-Tea
Ballboy

Post#6 » by Ice-Tea » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:25 pm

I don't think Eddy can buy into a team oriented system with his low IQ that can make him effective . His lack of effort and athletism will hold him back in alot of plays. He will certainily look lost and winded on the court which can back fire on the knicks forcing D'Antoni to bench him.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#7 » by VinnyTheMick » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:26 pm

I hope he becomes the Knicks version of Kyle Farnsworth. In spring training this year Kyle had no trade value but he pitched well & the yankees got someone to bite while getting a decent guy in return. I hope Eddy can play well enough that we can ship him out without getting raped in the deal.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
-steez-
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#8 » by -steez- » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:34 pm

The tugboat has sailed and I highly doubt at this point that Eddy will ever "get it".

"Only in the NBA can you make a shot on Monday and have it count on Tuesday."
- Walt "Clyde" Frazier
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#9 » by TKF » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:36 pm

god shammgod wrote:i don't know man. i was once a supporter but it's hard to believe at this point. with his size and athletic ability he should dominate but he just doesn't try hard. it doesn't seem that important to him. he might change at some point but it might be foolish to expect it. his fg% was never a problem and d'antoni doesn't do a lot of setting up guys in the post. unless walsh pulls off a miracle, i expect zach to be here as well. so probably not.

exactly. I always was a believer in curry's potential, but as mentioned before, curry does not seem to love the game, so at this point, why should we expect anything to change. He can still score around the basket and he does enough , just enough for people to hold out hope for better.. I am not sure at this point. I think curry loves everything the NBA affords him. Great lifestyle, cars, houses and all of the chicken alfredo one can eat.... It is one of the best paying jobs in the world, outside of that for curry it is just a 9-5 gig for curry...
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#10 » by Synciere » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:40 pm

Not unless we're surrounding him with KG,Artest, Kobe, and Bruce Bowen.
NikeAir
Banned User

Post#11 » by NikeAir » Sun Aug 3, 2008 11:40 pm

There is no hope for Curry and his fat *** no hope at all j/k but seriously he has no chance to play good in D'antois offense. The pace is to high for him he'll crap out maybe 5-6 times down the court.And as NyKnicks1714 he has no love for the gameso there's no chance he'll put the hard work in to shave off that fat.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#12 » by knicksNOTslick » Mon Aug 4, 2008 12:00 am

RHODEY wrote:Lets assume Zach is moved b4 next season…

How you think Curry’s production will be effected in D’antoni’s running/quick shooting offense? Will his scoring average increase or will his lack of conditioning be more of a factor in Mike’s offense? Is it possible that Curry’s high FG% climb even higher with easier shots? Basically can Mike actually make Eddy a force to be reckoned with.... an "Amare Stoudamire" light so to speak?

Curry an Amare-lite? You crazy. Amare loves the game and Eddy does not. Amare is in shape and Eddy is not. Even after the nearly-career threatening injury Amare suffered in his young, promising career, he bounced back and got even better. He improved his skills through hard work and determination. You don't have to motivate Amare to get better. He just gets the job done. Amare was raw coming out of high school where Eddy Curry was more polished coming out of high school. Look at them then and look at them now. One established himself as a premier big men while the other finds satisfaction that he made it in the big leagues. Amare would be offended that you even considered Curry to be an Amare-lite. Is there hope for Eddy? The answer is simply no.

How many years must we wait for Eddy to finally get it? We've already made him the centerpiece of our franchise when we gave up most of our pieces for him plus Isiah's mother and that's regardless of the fact that he hasn't proven anything. And what does he give us? He gives us a tantalizing display of what he could be if he puts his heart, mind and soul to the game, disappointing numbers in big man stats i.e. rebounding and blocked shots, a whopping 20 lbs. of weight gain once a season progresses and an embarassing 33 wins or less in each year he's been here.

And lastly, the guy doesn't love the game like we do. It's not his fault. It's just how he's built mentally. But regardless of that fact, when a man signs millions of dollars to play a game, he better give it a 110 percent. He just doesn't.

So let us ask the question again. Anyone here still have hope for Eddy?
4PointPlay
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#13 » by 4PointPlay » Mon Aug 4, 2008 12:12 am

The main question, which is concerned with his determination and desire, has already been raised. However if he were to get interested in playing, and winning, i think he could do brilliantly in Dantoni's four-and-one system.

It's a win-win situation as far as I'm concerned. Similar to Jamal. If he improves, gravy. If not we should be able to trade him next summer/next winter, when his contract is a lot shorter (his contract, let's face it, is the main reason no GM would pull the trigger on a "fair" trade for him right now). He'll be easy to get rid of in the winter of 2009 even if his game hasn't improved. I could see a contender trading for him for expirings to give a lift off the bench and so forth.

Yes he's fat. Yes he doesn't give a ****. But perhaps in a new system, and with our current management trying to shift the locker-room cancers maybe he'll find his game. I'd love him to show some heart on defence. I'd love him to get back to that "i should be an All-star" status.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#14 » by NetsForce » Mon Aug 4, 2008 12:38 am

I thought Curry was coming along decently until Randolph was brought in, Curry still wasn't dominating the boards or playing much defense, and I think that's something that is never going to change but he was really coming into his own offensively and was starting to demand a lot of attention from opposing team's defenses...
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#15 » by RHODEY » Mon Aug 4, 2008 1:15 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree with most of you in that we will probably never see the %100 effort in Eddy's game but does he need be %100 or even 90%? Seriously he gave us 19 and 7 not too long ago with what %75-%80 (really it's impossible quantify) effort. Is it so far of a stretch to believe he can come close or replicate that level of production? Also IMO that level of production is certainly not a BAD THING even with the lack of rebounding. Heck we are a .500 team during that time. Perhaps D'antoni can remove the mental aspect of the game for Eddy - help him play to his strengths. His defense is abysmal but the good news is defense wont be a huge priority in Mike's system. I'll take a "borderline Allstar" from the center position any day of the week. It beats what most teams can offer at that position.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#16 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Aug 4, 2008 2:56 am

It's not that Eddy cant contribute on a basketball team.

It's just that it's highly unlikely he will be a significant contributor on a D'Antoni team, especially with a big man who can rebound and shoot better than he can already on the roster.

In an ideal world, Eddy >>>> Zach, but the way the roster is at present and given the coaching philosophy, Zach will get a lot of minutes at the 5.
For love, not money.
slamvangundy
Starter
And1: 4

Post#17 » by slamvangundy » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:10 am

rooting for eddy to pull his game together is like rooting for the titanic to unsink itself. people like this guy because he had a lot of potential for a 19 year old when he was a chicago bull. that ship has sailed.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#18 » by jax98 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 9:31 am

There's always hope for Eddy.

His skill-set is huge and the fact that he's so athletic just adds to it.

But his determination and will-power to permanently overcome his weight issue is a huge problem. Time and time again, Eddy has promised to finally lose weight and maintain it. We were all extremely optimistic in 04/05 when Eddy actually did lose some weight and held onto his 280 frame. Hell, we actually got him to play some post-defense. He still wasn't good, but it was better than nothing.

But in that FA season he didn't work out. Despite having a possible heart condition, the guy kept eating and did not keep his body in shape. I suspect Eddy has a tendency to be depressed. I can't imagine what other scenario there is where a young guy who can succeed in the NBA let's his weight control him.

His size could easily allow him to be a good defender and a double-digit rebounder. But he just doesn't do it. He doesn't have that desire to improve his overall game.

It's a real shame. Because Eddy could be a top-tier player in this league if he slimmed down to 275-280 and became a dedicated individual. But somehow, I don't see that ever happening. He'll be an on-again, off-again starter who will only be succesful alongside defensive-minded role players.
Citris
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#19 » by Citris » Mon Aug 4, 2008 10:17 am

People can change. Personal transformations happen. I wish Eddy luck, and The NY KNicks luck! woot!
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,239

Post#20 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Aug 4, 2008 11:39 am

I haven't given up.

Curry is in a sense, playing for a contract year.

Curry played with some fire early last year and for most of 2006-2007. Last year was a funny, Isiah, sexual harassmemt, Marbury went Awol, 23 win season kinda year. A real soap opera.

Curry may be a good fit in the Dantoni system and Curry & Crawford play well together. We have a pass first PG in Duhon now too. He's got talent and the team changes might fit him, so I haven't given up on him.

This year, however, is his last chance in my book.
Go NY Go NY Go

Return to New York Knicks