ImageImageImageImageImage

Who is going to take Zach? Some (im)possibilties

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Who is going to take Zach? Some (im)possibilties 

Post#1 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Wed Aug 6, 2008 8:27 pm

A lot of opponents of the hypothetical Zach for a 2nd rounder trade have pointed out that we have between now and 2010 to trade Zach. I don't think anybody would have us Zach at $17M if it meant not being a player in the 2010 free agent market, but you never know. Anyway, enough speculation, let's take a look at where Zach might end up.

First, I think we can rule out the following destinations:

LA Lakers (Bynum, Odom, Gasol)
Dallas (Bass and Dirk are both best suited at the 4)
Washington (Jamison can't play C and if you slide him down where does that leave Caron?)
Boston (aint gonna screw with chemistry)
San Antonio (ditto)
Utah (Milsap, Boozer, AK47, Okur)
Toronto (Jermaine and Bosh)
Miami (looking to get under cap in 2010)
NJ (same)
Cleveland (same as last two plus they don't want to make it easier for us to get Lebron)
Portland (Aldridge and Oden + bad memories)
Clippers (Camby and Kaman)
Phoenix (Amare and Shaq)
Golden State (Wright and Biedrins)
Philly (Brand and Dalembart)
Sacramento (too early in the rebuilding stage)
Minnesota (Love and Jefferson)

So that leaves us with:
Charlotte -doesn't have the contracts to make it happen
Atlanta - barely has enough contracts, unless they want to give up Bibby or Marvin Williams. Could send us Zaza, Speedy, and a future protected 1st for Zach, if the looming contracts of Smith and JJ isn't too rich for their blood.
Chicago - hmmm...Rose and Zach for Hughes and Gooden as a principle deal?
Denver - A swap for Kenyon? But they're showing to be pretty stingy and I don't know if Zach is a fit with AI and Carmelo.
Detroit - Hmmm...Dice and Amir Johnson come close enough to equalling Zach's salaries and they expire in 2010. Detroit could throw in a marginal third contract and we'd take a lot of room off of our cap.
Houston - don't have the contracts
Memphis - Tione's $8M comes off the cap next year, so this is interesting. But they aren't ready to compete and Zach will take away shots from Mayo and Gayo.
Milwaukee - not enough salaries
Orlando - not enough salaries
Indiana - Rasho and Jeff Foster could work...but Bird seems pretty serious about staying away from questionable characters.
Oklahoma City - Same issue as with Memphis...not ready to compete and Zach takes shots away from players that need development.

and remember, even from this pool of teams, we can assume many will be looking to compete in 2010 free agency. I see Detroit, Chicago, and Atlanta as the only real possibilities. So there's some hope, but just thought we could get more clear on this rather than acting like the next two years are completely unpredictable. To check things out for yourself:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... ents-09-10
Jakespeare
General Manager
And1: 3

Re: Who is going to take Zach? Some (im)possibilties 

Post#2 » by Jakespeare » Wed Aug 6, 2008 8:35 pm

I don't see Atlanta or Detroit as possibilites. Atlanta has a core (provided they re-sign Smith) and they want to build around Horford. Bringing in Zbo, would only take away from his development. Detroit? I don't think Dumars likes Zbo enough to give up on Amir Johnson.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#3 » by Red Vines » Wed Aug 6, 2008 8:37 pm

I could see a team like San Antonio picking up Randolph simply because they already have strong leadership and Zach would fall in line. Remember how they picked up Stoudamire last year... They could use another post player alongside Duncan--both can go inside-out and you couldn't double either.
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#4 » by Johnny Hoops » Wed Aug 6, 2008 8:42 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:A lot of opponents of the hypothetical Zach for a 2nd rounder trade have pointed out that we have between now and 2010 to trade Zach. I don't think anybody would have us Zach at $17M if it meant not being a player in the 2010 free agent market, but you never know. Anyway, enough speculation, let's take a look at where Zach might end up.

First, I think we can rule out the following destinations:

LA Lakers (Bynum, Odom, Gasol)
Dallas (Bass and Dirk are both best suited at the 4)
Washington (Jamison can't play C and if you slide him down where does that leave Caron?)
Boston (aint gonna screw with chemistry)
San Antonio (ditto)
Utah (Milsap, Boozer, AK47, Okur)
Toronto (Jermaine and Bosh)
Miami (looking to get under cap in 2010)
NJ (same)
Cleveland (same as last two plus they don't want to make it easier for us to get Lebron)
Portland (Aldridge and Oden + bad memories)
Clippers (Camby and Kaman)
Phoenix (Amare and Shaq)
Golden State (Wright and Biedrins)
Philly (Brand and Dalembart)
Sacramento (too early in the rebuilding stage)
Minnesota (Love and Jefferson)

So that leaves us with:
Charlotte -doesn't have the contracts to make it happen
Atlanta - barely has enough contracts, unless they want to give up Bibby or Marvin Williams. Could send us Zaza, Speedy, and a future protected 1st for Zach, if the looming contracts of Smith and JJ isn't too rich for their blood.
Chicago - hmmm...Rose and Zach for Hughes and Gooden as a principle deal?
Denver - A swap for Kenyon? But they're showing to be pretty stingy and I don't know if Zach is a fit with AI and Carmelo.
Detroit - Hmmm...Dice and Amir Johnson come close enough to equalling Zach's salaries and they expire in 2010. Detroit could throw in a marginal third contract and we'd take a lot of room off of our cap.
Houston - don't have the contracts
Memphis - Tione's $8M comes off the cap next year, so this is interesting. But they aren't ready to compete and Zach will take away shots from Mayo and Gayo.
Milwaukee - not enough salaries
Orlando - not enough salaries
Indiana - Rasho and Jeff Foster could work...but Bird seems pretty serious about staying away from questionable characters.
Oklahoma City - Same issue as with Memphis...not ready to compete and Zach takes shots away from players that need development.

and remember, even from this pool of teams, we can assume many will be looking to compete in 2010 free agency. I see Detroit, Chicago, and Atlanta as the only real possibilities. So there's some hope, but just thought we could get more clear on this rather than acting like the next two years are completely unpredictable. To check things out for yourself:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... ents-09-10

I tend to think Indy will be the place - something like Zach for Tinsley and Marquis Daniels - which works in the trade checker. Rasho can't be moved with another player until a later date.

Tinsley has the same amount of years as Zach but would be $8M less in the last year and probably easier to move or dump. Plus Tinsley could play for us - I think. Daniels could provide some size.

Indy doesn't want questionable characters but they want to move Tinsley and Bird has stated that they need a PF that can score the ball down low. Maybe a deal has already been agreed to but they are waiting on Rasho's deadline before he can be packaged with another player.
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#5 » by Johnny Hoops » Wed Aug 6, 2008 8:49 pm

Rasho can be moved on Sep. 9th - in combination with another player.

Maybe this is why Indy is so certain they can move Tinsley rather than waive him and maybe this is why Donnie is saying he thinks he can get more value for Zach then the 2nd offered by Clips.

Tinsley would likely start for us and Rasho would be a decent reserve on an expiring deal.

Indy gets Zach to score ball inside and work off of Granger and Dunlevey on the perimeter.

TJ Ford
Dunlevey
Granger
Zach
Foster

Jack
Rush
S Williams
?
Hibbert

Successful Trade Scenario
Congratulations on a successful trade.
Due to Indiana and New York being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Indiana and New York had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Trade ID
Trade ID #4748709
Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario.

Try Another Trade or visit our Trade Forum.
Indiana Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: 0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and 0.0 apg.
Incoming Players
Zach Randolph
6-9 PF from Michigan State
No games yet played in 2007/08
Outgoing Players
Jamaal Tinsley
6-1 PG from Iowa State
Rasho Nesterovic
7-0 C from Slovenia (Foreign)
New York Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: 0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and 0.0 apg.
Incoming Players
Jamaal Tinsley
6-1 PG from Iowa State
Rasho Nesterovic
7-0 C from Slovenia (Foreign)
Outgoing Players
Zach Randolph
6-9 PF from Michigan State
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,495

Post#6 » by j4remi » Wed Aug 6, 2008 8:49 pm

The list will be changing with buyers and sellers as well as the Free Agency next year. You also have to take into account teams on the fringe or fighting to be contenders. There's no telling who will be a player for Zach even in just a few months. Give it some time and see what will happen.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#7 » by TKF » Wed Aug 6, 2008 8:55 pm

j4remi wrote:The list will be changing with buyers and sellers as well as the Free Agency next year. You also have to take into account teams on the fringe or fighting to be contenders. There's no telling who will be a player for Zach even in just a few months. Give it some time and see what will happen.

exactly.. ask any clippers fan if they thought they would have this much cap space this year.. they had no idea brand would walk or that they would even be in the market for a guy like zach and or camby.... just like that. things can change....
NikeAir
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by NikeAir » Wed Aug 6, 2008 10:01 pm

Detroit is known for giving players 2nd and even 3rd chances to show there skills they take him for cheap
4PointPlay
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#9 » by 4PointPlay » Thu Aug 7, 2008 12:49 am

Red Vines wrote:I could see a team like San Antonio picking up Randolph simply because they already have strong leadership and Zach would fall in line. Remember how they picked up Stoudamire last year... They could use another post player alongside Duncan--both can go inside-out and you couldn't double either.

I think San Antonio would wind up being very last on a list of possible destinations for Zach. Their management is far far far far far too smart to take on someone like Zack dor $45M.

I think if a trade happens this summer it'll either be with Indiana or Chicago. Gordon (sign 'n trade) + Hinrich for Randolph + Collins and maybe some kind of pick could work well i guess. But there are doubts a trade for Zach will happen at all right now, it's more likely he'll be moved in the winter for garbage or next summer for, well, whatever he's worth next summer. His value around the league cant get worse, it can only get better as his contract gets shorter. Unless he loses a leg or something.
unclebear
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#10 » by unclebear » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:23 am

1.i think cleveland is a possability, i remember a rumor where they wanted carter for wallys contract , z-bo would be an upgrade , we'd take wally or bens contract.

2.i think its in the clips best interest to trade for zach ,to put him wit camby or kaman.

3.gs is another good fit for z-bo , zach with beandip . zach for al harrington + filler?!?!

4.atl could do a s&t fot j.smooth + filler!?!?!

5.chi could send gooden or hughes.

6.dumars might wanna swap rasheed for zach to get some youth and a solid 20 10 pf.

7.indy could send us tinsley and rasho for a low post threat.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#11 » by sonny » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:29 am

You can take the Bulls off the list.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#12 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:42 am

Malik Rose and Zach for Gooden and Hughes seems like a good deal in theory, but will never work with Paxsons philosophy.

Like Sonny said, you can take Bulls off that list.

I think the best bet for the Zach situation is that NYK kicksass under Dantoni this season and Zach scores 18 PG and 10 RPG (even if it is selfish and balhoggish), and NYK makes the playoffs.

Some team will start showing interest then.
For love, not money.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#13 » by seren » Thu Aug 7, 2008 11:24 am

Let's not kid ourselves. There is no market for Zach in the league. We should have accepted Clippers deal and run away with it. To be honest, I would be fine even if we needed to give a pick (granted it is protected). Zach is a cancer we need to get rid of.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#14 » by seren » Thu Aug 7, 2008 11:28 am

I wish they let teams trade with European teams. There may be a Russian team somewhere in Siberia that may be interested in Zach's services...
J9Starks3
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,195

Post#15 » by J9Starks3 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 12:54 pm

I wouldnt mind offering this deal...

NYK Trade: Randolph, Cash
GSW Trade: Harrington, Perovic, Belinelli

NYK
C : Curry - Perovic
PF: Lee - Harrington - Gallinari - Rose
SF: Chandler - QRich - Jeffries
SG: Crawford - Belinelli
PG: Duhon - Robinson - Roberson - Collins

GSW
C : Biedrins - Turiaf
PF: Randolph - Wright
SF: Maggette - Randolph
SG: Jackson - Azibuke
PG: Ellis - Williams - Watson

...It ends up being Randolph for Belinelli, which I like for us!
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#16 » by chitownsports4ever » Thu Aug 7, 2008 2:06 pm

Players like Zach get traded at the deadline not during the offseason when enthusiasm for what teams currently have is at its peak. The PF position is pretty deep right now so you have to be patient and wait for a team with playoff aspirations to be teetering at the deadline at the 8th spot and then make your move .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,125

Post#17 » by moocow007 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:42 pm

chitownsports4ever wrote:Players like Zach get traded at the deadline not during the offseason when enthusiasm for what teams currently have is at its peak. The PF position is pretty deep right now so you have to be patient and wait for a team with playoff aspirations to be teetering at the deadline at the 8th spot and then make your move .

Yeah I agree. A team that is making a run or even one of the upper echelon teams, if they get a feel that a post 20/10 guy might give them the push they need then it would be a lot more realistic for a GM to go to ownership and ask their approval to take on Zach's contract (which IMHO is basically THE biggest thing holding up a deal, NOT his baggage, NOT his defensive deficiencies, NOT his ball hogging).
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#18 » by kosmovitelli » Thu Aug 7, 2008 5:00 pm

The trade deadline will be a better time to move Zach.
Remember last season, the Lakers traded for Pau Gasol and then it prompted other teams to go and look hard on the market who could make their team better.
The Mavs traded for Jason Kidd, the Spurs traded for Kurt Thomas, the Hornets traded for Bonzi Wells. It was like dominos.
In the Eastern Conference, the Hawks traded for Mike Bibby and the Cavs acquired Ben Wallace.

The same dominos theory thing can happen next february.

The february trade deadline will also be a better time for us because we will likely be better than last season so if we somehow manage to be around 0.500 in february and Zach plays OK then he will be easier to trade. When your team wins it's always easier to trade one of your players.
Another thing to consider is d'Antoni's system. If Randolph can adjust and play in that system then some GMs will believe he's a team player who can play under any system.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,255

Post#19 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Aug 7, 2008 5:27 pm

I could see the Mavs being interested. They have deep pockets, after trading for Kidd they almost certainly have to take a shot to win soon, they need inside scoring and they probably need some kind of trade to mix things up. Plus they have a history of taking chances on players.

They dont really have the contracts to match though so we would need to find another team...
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#20 » by Cliff Levingston » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:05 pm

4PointPlay wrote:
Red Vines wrote:I think if a trade happens this summer it'll either be with Indiana or Chicago. Gordon (sign 'n trade) + Hinrich for Randolph + Collins and maybe some kind of pick could work well i guess.

No it wouldn't. The Bulls would be better off letting Gordon take the QO and keeping Hinrich to play the 2 next to Rose, if only for one more season or so.

Besides, the Bulls were an extremely unlikely destination before this season. Now that we have Rose and coach Vinny, it's even more unlikely. Vinny wants the team to get up and down the floor with a strong emphasis on playing good defense; two things Zach can't do.

Return to New York Knicks