ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Vote for the best rapper alive

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BLACKFEET
Junior
And1: 4

Re: OT: Vote for the best rapper alive 

Post#81 » by BLACKFEET » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:53 pm

eminem is hands down the best RAPPER alive
if we are talking about completeness.

sales (AND obscurity level; people act like BECAUSE a guys not popular
then hes automatically better than the concensus choice, which isnt always the case) are irrelevant;
eminem is the sharpest RAPPER of all time

the best WRITER/LYRICIST in my opinion is jay z
if not for his wit and articulation then his prolifiration alone
nas, rza and ghostface also get high praise
but pale in color, rhythm and consistency (respectively)
to mr. carters range and substance.
really.
check the catalogue.

MC?
as far as crowd control....
f%ck pyrotechnics and laser lights
krs one/redman could hold clinics on owning the stage and whipping crowds
into frenzies
if u trying to learn how to....
these two should be studied, disected and
appreciated.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#82 » by TheBluest » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:27 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:I'm just making sure the history is accurate. You were the one that called somebody a Nas homer. I'm just old enough to have watched everybody's rise to power and was around when everybody was making their moves.

BIG died in 1997. When he died the East Coast belonged to Diddy and to the Wu-Tang following BIG's passing. The Wu-Tang wasn't about King of New York and Puff Daddy was the first to ride off BIG's memory. Then came Ja Rule and DMX and Jay-Z in the mid 90s. Jay wasn't the biggest of those three. DMX was. Those were his peers and once they started falling off (Ja Rule getting stale and the emergence of 50 Cent, DMX losing his mind to drugs) then Jay-Z became the coast because everybody else was done or dead. He stayed relevant by using Biggie's memory the same way that Puffy did. Jay-Z declared himself King of New York in 2001 with his Takeover plan. That's when he declared it after embarrassing Prodigy with the ballet picture. By that time he was doing big budget videos and inherited BIG's fame so he was the leading rapper in the media. Jay's albums are never as big sellers as his singles. But he made a lot of hit songs from 1999-2001 to stay in steady rotation and keep his name on people's lips. Jay-Z was first and foremost a promoter and business man.

Nas is primarily an artist. Nas did not release an album between 1996 and 1999 as he was developing a double album for I Am. That's why he didn't put a coast on his back and he was never into the coast stuff in any event. The setback was the Nastradamus rerecord. Otherwise Nas stayed on schedule. An album every two years or so. So, Jay-Z got at Nas in the intervening two years and was brought down a bit by "Ether." By 2003 50 Cent was the big name in New York and in 2004 Jay retired. So this King of New York business is really only supportable by a two year run from 2001-2003 and then he was one of a gamut of popular rappers.

Nobody's ever argued Nas was more commercially successful than Jay, but he was regarded higher in terms of artistic merit. Now was Jay relevant in 1996, well, he was debuting and he wasn't the most popular but he was noted as an up and comer. That stalled with his second album and then he went commercial with his third.

Now I do prefer Nas to Jay, i won't say that I don't, but I'm neutral with respect to their impact on the hip hop world. Nas inspired styles and artwork and artistic elements. Jay-Z inspired business plans and strategies. He grew hip hop bigger than ever. Nas made sure it still had a soul. Both were needed for the art form.

However, I think Hip Hop needs a soul more than anything right now. Gladly, Nas is still around.

You're arguing this from a different angle and are dropping some history but there are a couple of holes in your point.

#1 My point was never about when Jay-Z declared himself The Best Rapper. It never really was the point until you brought it up

#2 My point was to prove Jay-Z was relevant when Big and Pac was alive which someone earlier tried to claim he wasn't

#3 You say Jay-Z come on strong as DMX was fading and aging. Come on Man! Look up their ages and when they first dropped their albums. It was all around the same time span no more than a yr or two apart from each other. Jay-Z is older than DMX, DMX dropped his first album in 1998 Jay dropped his in 1996, DMX became King Of New York East Coast Hardcore Rap but not of all Rap. This right here says it all that Jay wasn't waiting in the wings for DMX to drop off...
Featuring a controversial cover photo of the rapper covered in blood, Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood entered the charts at number one and eventually went triple platinum. The following year, DMX hit the road with Jay-Z and the Method Man / Redman team on the blockbuster Hard Knock Life tour. I won't even bother to link the reference there. "Hard Knock Life" Vol 2 was released in 1998
Jay-Z is older than Ja-Rule, Ja-Rule dropped his first album in 1999, Jay was officially Hot in 1998 I believe the yr he took on the Rap Moniker Jigga, and it was Ja-Rule who was appearing in his videos not the other way around.

I love how DMX essentially became the beneficiary for a minute while Big and Pac left and Jay supposedly was waiting in the wing behind the Dog(which is grossly inaccurate) but not really frowned upon but when Jay Blew way up post 2000 due to Big and Pac's Exodus it's somewhat frowned upon. When people say this it's not to bring up history per say because everyone knows what happened when those two died in the game it's brought up to try and criticize Jay-Z and put down his achievement in the game. Look if you don't like Jay-Z fine just say so, but don't go making stuff up or try and minimize what he did.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,637

Post#83 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:10 am

TheBluest wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:I'm just making sure the history is accurate. You were the one that called somebody a Nas homer. I'm just old enough to have watched everybody's rise to power and was around when everybody was making their moves.

BIG died in 1997. When he died the East Coast belonged to Diddy and to the Wu-Tang following BIG's passing. The Wu-Tang wasn't about King of New York and Puff Daddy was the first to ride off BIG's memory. Then came Ja Rule and DMX and Jay-Z in the mid 90s. Jay wasn't the biggest of those three. DMX was. Those were his peers and once they started falling off (Ja Rule getting stale and the emergence of 50 Cent, DMX losing his mind to drugs) then Jay-Z became the coast because everybody else was done or dead. He stayed relevant by using Biggie's memory the same way that Puffy did. Jay-Z declared himself King of New York in 2001 with his Takeover plan. That's when he declared it after embarrassing Prodigy with the ballet picture. By that time he was doing big budget videos and inherited BIG's fame so he was the leading rapper in the media. Jay's albums are never as big sellers as his singles. But he made a lot of hit songs from 1999-2001 to stay in steady rotation and keep his name on people's lips. Jay-Z was first and foremost a promoter and business man.

Nas is primarily an artist. Nas did not release an album between 1996 and 1999 as he was developing a double album for I Am. That's why he didn't put a coast on his back and he was never into the coast stuff in any event. The setback was the Nastradamus rerecord. Otherwise Nas stayed on schedule. An album every two years or so. So, Jay-Z got at Nas in the intervening two years and was brought down a bit by "Ether." By 2003 50 Cent was the big name in New York and in 2004 Jay retired. So this King of New York business is really only supportable by a two year run from 2001-2003 and then he was one of a gamut of popular rappers.

Nobody's ever argued Nas was more commercially successful than Jay, but he was regarded higher in terms of artistic merit. Now was Jay relevant in 1996, well, he was debuting and he wasn't the most popular but he was noted as an up and comer. That stalled with his second album and then he went commercial with his third.

Now I do prefer Nas to Jay, i won't say that I don't, but I'm neutral with respect to their impact on the hip hop world. Nas inspired styles and artwork and artistic elements. Jay-Z inspired business plans and strategies. He grew hip hop bigger than ever. Nas made sure it still had a soul. Both were needed for the art form.

However, I think Hip Hop needs a soul more than anything right now. Gladly, Nas is still around.

You're arguing this from a different angle and are dropping some history but there are a couple of holes in your point.

#1 My point was never about when Jay-Z declared himself The Best Rapper. It never really was the point until you brought it up

#2 My point was to prove Jay-Z was relevant when Big and Pac was alive which someone earlier tried to claim he wasn't

#3 You say Jay-Z come on strong as DMX was fading and aging. Come on Man! Look up their ages and when they first dropped their albums. It was all around the same time span no more than a yr or two apart from each other. Jay-Z is older than DMX, DMX dropped his first album in 1998 Jay dropped his in 1996, DMX became King Of New York East Coast Hardcore Rap but not of all Rap. This right here says it all that Jay wasn't waiting in the wings for DMX to drop off...
Featuring a controversial cover photo of the rapper covered in blood, Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood entered the charts at number one and eventually went triple platinum. The following year, DMX hit the road with Jay-Z and the Method Man / Redman team on the blockbuster [b]Hard Knock Life tour[b]. I won't even bother to link the reference there. "Hard Knock Life" Vol 2 was released in 1998
Jay-Z is older than Ja-Rule, Ja-Rule dropped his first album in 1999, Jay was officially Hot in 1998 I believe the yr he took on the Rap Moniker Jigga, and it was Ja-Rule who was appearing in his videos not the other way around.

I love how DMX essentially became the beneficiary for a minute while Big and Pac left and Jay supposedly was waiting in the wing behind the Dog(which is grossly inaccurate) but not really frowned upon but when Jay Blew way up post 2000 due to Big and Pac's Exodus it's somewhat frowned upon. When people say this it's not to bring up history per say because everyone knows what happened when those two died in the game it's brought up to try and criticize Jay-Z and put down his achievement in the game. Look if you don't like fine just say so but don't go making stuff up or try and minimize what he did.

Where did I say Jay-Z came on strong because DMX was aging? I said DMX lost his mind to drugs. During the late 90s those three were the trio from New York. Jay became hot in 1998 when Hardknock Life was released. Ja Rule had buzz and DMX released around that time, too. You can say that DMX was King of New York and not rap fine, that's true, because 1999 to 2001 or so was in the height of the New Orleans movement. (Cash Money and all them ran things.)

And Jay did benefit from Biggie's passing more than anybody else because he used his memory to stay in people's minds (and a lot of his rhymes) so when he was alone in 2001 he could finally say "And if I ain't better than Big I'm the closest one."

You can argue too that DMX and Ja Rule (especially Ja Rule) benefitted from Big and Pac passing. Ja Rule was always seen as a Pac clone. You might argue that Nas suffered the most from their passing because he didn't have inspiration. Who knows what he would have written in a challenge against those two considering what he did to Jay with Ether.
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#84 » by TheBluest » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:54 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:Where did I say Jay-Z came on strong because DMX was aging? I said DMX lost his mind to drugs. During the late 90s those three were the trio from New York. Jay became hot in 1998 when Hardknock Life was released. Ja Rule had buzz and DMX released around that time, too. You can say that DMX was King of New York and not rap fine, that's true, because 1999 to 2001 or so was in the height of the New Orleans movement. (Cash Money and all them ran things.)

And Jay did benefit from Biggie's passing more than anybody else because he used his memory to stay in people's minds (and a lot of his rhymes) so when he was alone in 2001 he could finally say "And if I ain't better than Big I'm the closest one."

You can argue too that DMX and Ja Rule (especially Ja Rule) benefitted from Big and Pac passing. Ja Rule was always seen as a Pac clone. You might argue that Nas suffered the most from their passing because he didn't have inspiration. Who knows what he would have written in a challenge against those two considering what he did to Jay with Ether.

You didn't say the word aging but falling off, dead, done, aging is all one in the same. My bad on the play of words but nevertheless Jay-Z was putting out fire during most of late late 90's early 2000 amidst a lot of these MC's peak yrs. He was way hot before they were falling off. Everybody on the East Coast had a chance to claim the throne. It was dormant for a good 4yrs and no Jay-Z didn't strictly become popular by mentioning Biggie in his music although it helped. Keep in mind Biggie voluntarily jumped on his tracks, there was some good mutual friendship there. Maybe not as strong as portrayed, nevertheless there. As far as Hot Tracks Jay put out a good crop of them before 1999 my friend and a few not released as singles commercially. On the track from the Hard Knock Lif album "City Is Mine" is really his first claim publicly on a track to taking over New York.
Dr. Frazier
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#85 » by Dr. Frazier » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:28 am

I'm pretty sure I'll be ridiculed/flamed for this list for its lack of 'street cred', but I've listed by personal top 10 below (I've also included groups).

My Top 10 Living Rappers / Rap Groups:

1) Eminem: He may be white, but the man is the most lyrically creative rapper I know who can touch a whole range of emotions from laugher to tears to anger and back, regardless of color.

2) Immortal Technique: Self explanatory. Auditory poetry spoken with truth and intelligence.

3) Andre 3000: Creativity incarnate. From Rosa Park to roses. From bombs over bagdad to hey you and you and you -- he brings the fire in a fun way that teaches us that rap doesn't need to be generic to be hot. He's the future in a present rap world that's too bland. I'm ready to give him the Green Light.

4) The Roots: Instruments and hip hop? Who would have thunk that would work? The Roots did way before hip hop was what it is now. They were on to something.

5) Kanye West: He may be a cocky bastard but he has some pretty sick lyrics, especially the songs from his first album. Never Let You Down had some pretty darn inspiring lyrics and Diamonds from Sierra Leone were pretty awesome. Even though he can act like an idiot sometimes, when he puts his mind to it, he can definitely flow. "Damn is he really that caught up? I ask if you talkin' about classics, do my name get brought up?"

6) D12: They have a cool blend of anger and humor and Eminem is part of their crew. It's a shame about Proof. He was my favorite artist in the group after Em.

7) Fort Minor: Probably a very unpopular pick for multiple reasons. They only have one black guy in their group, is led by Mike Shinoda who is part of Linkin Park (which clearly isn't hip hop), and has a half japanese guy and a white guy to round out the group. Also, they don't talk about killing people or having "cash, money, ho's". Well, "Believe Me", you'll "Remember the Name" if you give them a chance. They deal with some interesting themes like Japanese war history and the way friendships change from childhood to adulthood.

8) Nas: He used to be a lot higher on my list but I'm just really not feeling any of the stuff he's come out with in the past 5 or 6 years.

9) Common: He's got a unique rapping delivery style with some interesting messages.

10) Twista: My favorite "fast rapper" and part of the Roc crew.

Best Regards,

The Good Doctor
"Hi, everybody!" "Hi, Dr. Frazier!"
BugsBunny
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#86 » by BugsBunny » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:28 am

BLACKFEET wrote:eminem is hands down the best RAPPER alive

then hes automatically better than the concensus choice, which isnt always the case) are irrelevant;

really.
check the catalogue.

MC?
into frenzies
appreciated.

AZ>Jay-Z with lyrics.

"surgically nice with any verbal device
trife, breathing life into mics
my insight's beyond the twilight"-AZ

AZ wins.
I think if HighRyzer gets into an accident and loses half his brain he will still be the smartest poster on this board. HighRyzer83 is the man!
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#87 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:29 am

First, the throne was never dormant because although Biggie helped bring New York back, it was Biggie, Nas and Wu that were the biggest acts in New York. There was never any solo king. In 1997 Biggie, Puffy and Wu were kings, in 1998 it was DMX, 1999 Nas came back with I Am and Jay had the Volume 3 album out. So there was never a time when the throne was really empty. That's all Hip Hop imagination. You also forget that the south had the ear of the streets then too.

And when Jay started making hits was Hardknock Life and after. "The City Is Mine" with its Glen Fry sample was on In My Lifetime 97 offering. That album wasn't that great. And if that is his first claim to taking over New York then he ironically makes it the same year that Big died.

Do you really want to go on about Jay and his marketing techniques?

As for Biggie. Yes, Biggie jumped on Jay-Z tracks with Brooklyn's Finest on Reasonable Doubt and then Jay-Z came on Life After Death with "I Love the Dough" and there was always talk about the Commission, but, truth be told, it was Jay, post BIG that forever talked about BIG, used his rhymes and said they wrote the same way (never writing things down.) Would Jay have been good without BIG and Pac, sure. But he wouldn't have been discussed as the greatest of all time if they were still alive. (Where would he get his hot lines? :))
BugsBunny
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#88 » by BugsBunny » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:34 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:First, the throne was never dormant because although Biggie helped bring New York back, it was Biggie, Nas and Wu that were the biggest acts in New York. There was never any solo king. In 1997 Biggie, Puffy and Wu were kings, in 1998 it was DMX, 1999 Nas came back with I Am and Jay had the Volume 3 album out. So there was never a time when the throne was really empty. That's all Hip Hop imagination. You also forget that the south had the ear of the streets then too.

And when Jay started making hits was Hardknock Life and after. "The City Is Mine" with its Glen Fry sample was on In My Lifetime 97 offering. That album wasn't that great. And if that is his first claim to taking over New York then he ironically makes it the same year that Big died.

As for Biggie. Yes, Biggie jumped on Jay-Z tracks with Brooklyn's Finest on Reasonable Doubt and then Jay-Z came on Life After Death with "I Love the Dough" and there was always talk about the Commission, but, truth be told, it was Jay, post BIG that forever talked about BIG, used his rhymes and said they wrote the same way (never writing things down.) Would Jay have been good without BIG and Pac, sure. But he wouldn't have been discussed as the greatest of all time if they were still alive. (Where would he get his hot lines? :))

AZ.(jk) LOL

Does it really matter about who was or still is the greatest? can people just enjoy the music for what it is?
I think if HighRyzer gets into an accident and loses half his brain he will still be the smartest poster on this board. HighRyzer83 is the man!
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#89 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:44 am

BugsBunny wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:First, the throne was never dormant because although Biggie helped bring New York back, it was Biggie, Nas and Wu that were the biggest acts in New York. There was never any solo king. In 1997 Biggie, Puffy and Wu were kings, in 1998 it was DMX, 1999 Nas came back with I Am and Jay had the Volume 3 album out. So there was never a time when the throne was really empty. That's all Hip Hop imagination. You also forget that the south had the ear of the streets then too.

AZ.(jk) LOL

Does it really matter about who was or still is the greatest? can people just enjoy the music for what it is?

Just trading knowledge so the history doesn't get lost. Honestly, aside from Nas I don't even listen to new hip hop. We've outgrown each other. I'm near 40 with a wife, kid and mortgage. I don't need to "Snap My Fingers" I need to "Fight the Power" and make sure there's something better for my child.
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#90 » by TheBluest » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:06 am

It was really Biggie's or Pac's take your pic by the time 1997 hit Fall. No one officially claimed being the Greatest or Target of all of Rap since until you said about 2001 when Jay put it out there, although he started laying the groundwork early. Fans or Emcee/Rappers can put you on it. 1 yr of work doesn't get you on the throne it puts you in play. WU deserves major consideration but this isn't and wasn't a thread about Greatest Rap Group(s,) it never was about being Greatest in the NYC, it was about Greatest Rapper Period in particular right now, hence the link in the start of the thread has members of the WU Repped Individually. Your knowledge is good and all but try not to break off in your own tangent marinated in Nas.
BLACKFEET
Junior

Post#91 » by BLACKFEET » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:12 am

BugsBunny wrote:
BLACKFEET wrote:eminem is hands down the best RAPPER alive

really.
check the catalogue.

MC?
into frenzies
appreciated.

AZ>Jay-Z with lyrics.

"surgically nice with any verbal device
trife, breathing life into mics
my insight's beyond the twilight"-AZ

AZ wins.

u cant be serious
dude has no personality in his rhymmes
and his songs are boring

"...have the paramedics breathing soft on 'em, "whats ya name..?"
thats visual
f%ck a lyrical gymanastic
paint a picture
jay z is a poet not just matching words

plus dude sounds like he from queens
and brooklyn wins
everytime
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#92 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:13 am

Ah good ole hip hop, were there can never be a right answer but only good debates.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
BLACKFEET
Junior

Post#93 » by BLACKFEET » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:22 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Ah good ole hip hop, were there can never be a right answer but only good debates.

aint that the truth
swede
Assistant Coach
And1: 6

Post#94 » by swede » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:00 am

Cyborg21 wrote:Screw you Batum, throwing us under the bus, I hope we destroy these scum next year.
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#95 » by TheBluest » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:11 am

swede wrote:Jay-Z - Jockin Jay-Z http://www.zshare.net/audio/168953818f0fab2a/

No don't do that post a zshare link song to all the lines he's Jocked...

Signing Off 1 4 3 Nas!!!!
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#96 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:32 am

TheBluest wrote:

It was really Biggie's or Pac's take your pic by the time 1997 hit Fall. No one officially claimed being the Greatest or Target of all of Rap since until you said about 2001 when Jay put it out there, although he started laying the groundwork early. Fans or Emcee/Rappers can put you on it. 1 yr of work doesn't get you on the throne it puts you in play. WU deserves major consideration but this isn't and wasn't a thread about Greatest Rap Group(s,) it never was about being Greatest in the NYC, it was about Greatest Rapper Period in particular right now, hence the link in the start of the thread has members of the WU Repped Individually. Your knowledge is good and all but try not to break off in your own tangent marinated in Nas.

You keep moving the point. Weren't we discussing as a sidebar the history of the "King of New York" title? Hell, if Christopher Walken never made the movie all this would have been moot anyway. You were the one that brought up the Nas homerists. You're the one marinated in Jay-Z. I'm just recounting what's happened in hip hop to get to the point where someone can make the claim to be the greatest rapper alive.

You want to get into that then remember that Jay also created this title because after BIG and Pac dying everybody was calling them the greatest rappers ever. Five years pass and Jay makes this claim and all of a sudden a new title is born. Before BIG's passing nobody disrespected Rakim by claiming to be greater.

I've agreed with you that Jay-Z was relevant to hip hop since he debuted, but he was one of many.
SpReEfOrAlL
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#97 » by SpReEfOrAlL » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:45 am

Kanye **** West beat both Mos Def AND Lupe. ..
TdoubleE
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#98 » by TdoubleE » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:25 pm

SpReEfOrAlL wrote:Kanye **** West beat both Mos Def AND Lupe. ..

I voted for Lupe in that round. He's just in the wrong era and is highly under-rated and under-appreciated. Not saying Kanye doesn't have nice lyrics because he does, but sometimes Ye sounds like another producer trying to rap. It doesn't sound natural. Kanye's total production will elevate him, but Lupe is better IMO.

Mos Def is just inconsistent. I don't think his heart is into rap anymore, if it ever truly was.

Return to New York Knicks