ImageImageImageImageImage

Lee Can

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Chislic
Rookie
And1: 385

Lee Can 

Post#1 » by Chislic » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:49 pm

Lee Can’t Wait to Play D’Antoni-Style Ball

Photo Gallery: Lee's 2007-08 Season
Aug. 11, 2008

As the start of a new season -- and a new era -- of New York Knicks basketball draws closer, NYKnicks.com will sit down with the players, coaches and others closely associated with the team to discuss their thoughts on the outlook for 2008-09.

We begin the series with Knicks forward David Lee, who discusses the off-season roster changes and his thoughts on playin g head coach Mike D'Antoni's system.

NYKnicks.com: You recently had your first practice with the other guys when you were in Las Vegas, and had an opportunity to start to learn Mike D'Antoni's system. How did that go?

David Lee: I've been around Coach D'Antoni a little bit when I practiced with the Olympic team last year, and he's got a specific way that he wants the game to be played, and that's up-tempo and intense. It's a different speed than the one which you play, and the only way that you learn that style of play is by doing it in practice. Even when we had those practices out in Vegas, everything was that you've got to run, run, run. We've got to learn that style of play now if we want to do it and do it well during the season, so that was a good experience.

http://aol.nba.com/knicks/news/lee_081108_qanda.html

Post edited.
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,950

Re: Lee Can 

Post#2 » by ITGM » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:26 pm

Ill beleive it when I see it...
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#3 » by Ignitowsky » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:47 pm

ITGM wrote:Ill beleive it when I see it...

what are you specifically referring to?
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,555

Post#4 » by ctorres » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:48 pm

Hahaha, it's so easy to tell when an interview is conducted by Knicks.com as opposed to someone in the media.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#5 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:55 pm

Lee is the perfect NY type of player. High IQ, humble, hardworking, positive, adaptable. If we had 3more of these kinds of guys on this squad we'd be in great shape instead we have Zachs and Marburys.

Im happy Lee will get a chance to play uptempo and aggressive - like he did in that rookie/soph game - and will get to show his stuff to the doubters
Moochie25
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Post#6 » by Moochie25 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:02 pm

ctorres wrote:Hahaha, it's so easy to tell when an interview is conducted by Knicks.com as opposed to someone in the media.

:D well yeah, but what do you expect... i'm sure every team's website has a positive slant and doesn't really ask the hard-hitting questions

it'll be interesting to see the interviews with steph (for obvious reasons), eddy, or zach... guys who aren't the most popular knicks and see their responses/questions they get asked
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#7 » by earthmansurfer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:11 pm

I really hope we don't trade Lee, before at least seeing him In this system. I have a feeling his jump shot will get better and better. With his athleticism, ability to bring the ball up the court, high energy, passing, etc. he is going to fit this system like a glove.

EMS
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#8 » by StutterStep » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:54 pm

The funniest part:

And being a threat at the three spot at that size, it's a pretty special combination.

Lee slotted Danilo into Wilson's spot....instead of his own (PF)... :D
Papa Midnite
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#9 » by Papa Midnite » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:45 pm

StutterStep wrote:The funniest part:

And being a threat at the three spot at that size, it's a pretty special combination.

No. he was correct in saying that he will be playing next to Gallo....in the second unit. WC is going to start at the SF and Zach at the PF; DLee and Gallo will be their backups. :D
Nupes: Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlain, Sam Jones, Elgin Baylor, Alex English, H20, Rolando Blackman, Danny Manning, Darrell Walker (ex-Knick), Penny, Bernie Bickerstaff, Bob Johnson (Bobcats), John Chaney, Kerry Kittles, Johnny Newman
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#10 » by mjhp911 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:47 pm

This guy has been THE face of the franchise this summer, for whatever promos and interviews they run. I'm surprised some think we're going to give him away, just to lose some bad contracts, or because he's up for an extension at some point. Jimmy D. knows where his bread is buttered, and if you lose the most popular player in the fan's eyes, you better replace him with something better. Anyway, I'm glad to read those words from him, and I'm excited for camp...
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#11 » by TKF » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:47 pm

StutterStep wrote:The funniest part:

:lol: self preservation.....
Clyde2
Senior
And1: 0

Post#12 » by Clyde2 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:05 pm

I really believe that Lee will be a Knick for many years. Every time I think about MD up tempo system, I laugh at the thought of Curry, James and Rose playing in it.
Knick Fan since last championship. We know that was a LONG time ago.
RealGM
And1: 39,137

Post#13 » by 2010 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:09 pm

Clyde2 wrote:I really believe that Lee will be a Knick for many years. Every time I think about MD up tempo system, I laugh at the thought of Curry, James and Rose playing in it.

Don't forget about Zach. D'Antoni's philosophy is based on ball movement, sharing and quick-decisions. Imagine Zach holding the ball, taking 6 jab-steps before hoisting up another midrange jumper, LOL!

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#14 » by mjhp911 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Clyde2 wrote:I really believe that Lee will be a Knick for many years. Every time I think about MD up tempo system, I laugh at the thought of Curry, James and Rose playing in it.

:nod:

That rook-soph game that featured uptempo seemed to suit him very well...

truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#15 » by truth serum » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:44 am

Man, I love this guy.
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#16 » by GuyverADL » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:53 am

If we pay Lee more than 7 million a year I will be pissed.
tjumper78
Pro Prospect
And1: 174

Post#17 » by tjumper78 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:48 pm

what if he averages 15/12 with 60% fg and 85% ft this year?
the salaries are going up like crazy, even for non-all-stars.
if d.lee averages a double-double and fits into the new system well this year, walsh will probably lock him at something very close to 10 mils a year. i would not be surprised if he gets 10+.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,224

Post#18 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:36 pm

optimusADL wrote:If we pay Lee more than 7 million a year I will be pissed.

The Lee / 2010 factor is definitly something to think about, but as I've said before, the biggest factors in 2010 cap space comes next season when Craw & Curry both have the option to opt out, and if they do opt out, NY has the decision to let them walk, resign them or trade them.

another big factor is whether Zach gets traded and for what.

Lee is a factor in the 2010 cap space question, and to a lesser extent, so is Nate. But those guys are not the primary question right now. It's the ever possible zach trade, and the wait & see what Craw & Curry do next summer.

While letting craw & curry walk (only possible if they opt out, which they might now) - that makes the mose sense cap wise, it perhaps leaves NY a somewhat depleated team in 2009-2010, leading to giving up a high lotto pick to the Jazz.

2009-2010 team if craw & curry walk

PG Duhon/Mardy
SG Nate / and The Chucker CBA player Roberson
SF Chandler / Q-Rich
PF Lee / Danilo
C Zach

add to that whoever we pick up and our 2009 first round pick. Might not be too bad. A lot depends on how Chandler & Danilo develop.
Go NY Go NY Go

Return to New York Knicks