ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Hillary to be nominated

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Re: OT: Hillary to be nominated 

Post#21 » by mjhp911 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:27 pm

duetta wrote:
Wingy22 wrote:I just don't get why Hillary just can't accept defeat. She lost the nomination well before she finally conceded; she and Bill made racist comments along the way; and even now, they've been subtlely undermining Obama. We don't need these types of distactions now.

I agree that she's doing that. Which is why I'll be opposing Hillary with ever fiber of my being in 2012. The Clintons represent the me-generation in the White House. They've apparently never understood the meaning of the phrase, "get over yourself.

I would agree, unfortunately. I liked Hillary and think she's done a good job as NY senator. But it seems she's got spite greater than Jim Dolan and Hank Steinbrenner combined.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,245

Post#22 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:35 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:this isnt a VP nomination. Its a bone thrown to her and her constituents so she can go down as the first woman nominated to the presidency. And so some of her followers can still vote for her as prez. And so she can get the delegates already offered to her.

It changes nothing about Obama as the candidate and a VP not being chosen yet

There is also a tax reason as all of Hilary's substantial - 90mil? - campaign dept will now be absorbed by the democratic party and taken off her personally.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll delete my thread (for all the good it does - cause it's been quoted twice).

my bad.

So, basically, this isn't really news, I mean, it kind of is, but it's not big new.
Go NY Go NY Go
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#23 » by knicks742 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:41 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:this isnt a VP nomination. Its a bone thrown to her and her constituents so she can go down as the first woman nominated to the presidency. And so some of her followers can still vote for her as prez. And so she can get the delegates already offered to her.

There is also a tax reason as all of Hilary's substantial - 90mil? - campaign dept will now be absorbed by the democratic party and taken off her personally.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll delete my thread (for all the good it does - cause it's been quoted twice).

my bad.

So, basically, this isn't really news, I mean, it kind of is, but it's not big new.

Not big news that she is stealing this convention from Obama??? She is getting two out of four nights and now a roll call nomination. I would not put it pass the Clintons to try and steal this thing, lol.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,039

Post#24 » by GONYK » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:45 pm

knicks742 wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

my bad.

Not big news that she is stealing this convention from Obama??? She is getting two out of four nights and now a roll call nomination. I would not put it pass the Clintons to try and steal this thing, lol.

That would be the snakiest thing ever.

Besides, for what it is worth, Hillary already said she is not here to really contend for the nomination, just to allow her supporters to be heard. She said flat-out that she will not receive more votes than Obama for the nomination. This looks to be just a big show so the PUMA's can calm down.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by knicks742 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:54 pm

Im obviously joking about her getting the nomination or even trying, she has a career to think of. But I am amazed at how much he folded. It is his convention, does anyone think that if Clinton had won she would be giving him a roll call vote and 2 out of 4 nights?? I am really surprised that he folded this much. Not good.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#26 » by GONYK » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:11 pm

knicks742 wrote:Im obviously joking about her getting the nomination or even trying, she has a career to think of. But I am amazed at how much he folded. It is his convention, does anyone think that if Clinton had won she would be giving him a roll call vote and 2 out of 4 nights?? I am really surprised that he folded this much. Not good.

That's true. I'm sure he isn't letting this happen out of the kindness of his heart. There is some strong-arming behind the scenes of the Democratic convention, but I'm sure he will give up his moment now in return for more votes in Nov. For Clinton (well, she's been good since bowing out) and her supporters, this is the last moment in the sun for a historic campaign. If these can heal the wounds, it will be worth it.

My question for you is, as a Clinton supporter, does this whole process make you feel more unified with the party and Obama?
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by knicks742 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:29 pm

GONYK wrote:
knicks742 wrote:Im obviously joking about her getting the nomination or even trying, she has a career to think of. But I am amazed at how much he folded. It is his convention, does anyone think that if Clinton had won she would be giving him a roll call vote and 2 out of 4 nights?? I am really surprised that he folded this much. Not good.

That's true. I'm sure he isn't letting this happen out of the kindness of his heart. There is some strong-arming behind the scenes of the Democratic convention, but I'm sure he will give up his moment now in return for more votes in Nov. For Clinton (well, she's been good since bowing out) and her supporters, this is the last moment in the sun for a historic campaign. If these can heal the wounds, it will be worth it.

My question for you is, as a Clinton supporter, does this whole process make you feel more unified with the party and Obama?

My lack of support to Obama had nothing to do with Clinton actually. It really is simply based on the fact that I don't like some of his policies and I don't trust him. I feel insulted when he claims that he is not a politican and then his campaign pulls some smart political moves. I think he is a very good politician. I also dont agree with his approach to foreign policy. Lastly, the thing that most likely pushed me over the top was his speech in Germany. I found it too much for a junior senator of a state to go to a foreign land to deliver a presidential speech when we still have a President and its not him. I think Bush has been a terrible President but there has to be a respect to the Office in my opinion.

So no, my lack of support for him has nothing to do with Clinton, but its just how I feel about him.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#28 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:03 pm

livintoolive wrote:
knicks742 wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:I think this is a good move. Hillary brings toughness and experience to the table. Hil & Obama don't always agree. Obama is more of an idealist - which I believe is a good thing. Ideals are what we should strive for as a society. Hillary is more of a seasoned vet - even if she doesn't have a lifetime of experience in politics, she's seen it through her husband and she's a tough cookie, dispite being kinda liberal.

With McCain being as awful as he is, I'd have voted for an Obama/Jack the Ripper ticket, but I think Hil is a good choice. It might also help get some votes back from the Hillary/Obama primary.

She is not VP. She is goign to get nominated liek Obama, technically the delegates will be able to vote for either. Then supposedly Obama will win. But who knows, still 2 weeks, hopefully something catastrophic comes out and we can take the nomination that was rightfully ours.

Come on now, you're better than that.

Mark Jackson? Is that you?
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#29 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:07 pm

knicks742 wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

my bad.

OMG, this is how hysteria begins.

She is not trying to steal the election, she is looking to ensure her place in history as the first offically nominated democratic candidate for president. She is also looking for another moment in the spotlight and acknowledgment for her considerable success as a candidate for herself and her supporters.

that second thing is selfish and does the party no good - especially since the news will be eating it up and making even more hysterical conjecture than in this thread - but its very political.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#30 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:16 pm

In 1988 Jesse Jackson demanded to be nominated even though Mike Do-Tax-Us had the nomination sewed up. It did nt hurt team unity, did it? Sure Bush beat Mike but it wasnt due to Jesse getting nominated.

Same thing here. She worked for & earned the right to be nominated. It is not a dividing tactic
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#31 » by GONYK » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:35 pm

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:In 1988 Jesse Jackson demanded to be nominated even though Mike Do-Tax-Us had the nomination sewed up. It did nt hurt team unity, did it? Sure Bush beat Mike but it wasnt due to Jesse getting nominated.

Same thing here. She worked for & earned the right to be nominated. It is not a dividing tactic

I don't know much about that election. Was the entire primary process in 1988 as divisive as the one this year was?
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#32 » by BasicBall » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:01 pm

LOL.....you clearly dont know how it works....B is in a no-win situation with this mob, if he stands firm he is called scared of the results, if he lets her and her mob have its way, it is said he folded...what he did is what best serves the party and re-energizes his supporters....the convention will be lively and will be spirited, Obama will get the nomination and Hillary and her mob can then either get on board fully and risk being Rangel'd when Obama takes office in January....This action also once and for all severely damages any chance Hillary had of serving in the Obama administration down the line....Its one more shrewd move by Barack Obama!
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,634

Post#33 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:30 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:OMG, this is how hysteria begins.

She is not trying to steal the election, she is looking to ensure her place in history as the first offically nominated democratic candidate for president. She is also looking for another moment in the spotlight and acknowledgment for her considerable success as a candidate for herself and her supporters.

that second thing is selfish and does the party no good - especially since the news will be eating it up and making even more hysterical conjecture than in this thread - but its very political.

"Ensure her place in history"????? You're joking right? Do you think that Obama would be doing this if Hillary won and he lost? "Homey don't think so."

I really think she is trying to sabotage Obama's chances to be nominated so that she can run against McBush in 2012. Her place in history has already be acknowledged - ad nauseum. Bottom line is that she ran a piss poor campaign and lost to a better candidate who ran a better, smarter and more efficient campaign with better ideas and more support. Please go away and become a U.S. Supreme Court judge (which I actually think she would be good at) or run for Governor of NY . . . or something. Just please STOP ALREADY!
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#34 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:30 pm

BasicBall wrote:

LOL.....you clearly dont know how it works....B is in a no-win situation with this mob, if he stands firm he is called scared of the results, if he lets her and her mob have its way, it is said he folded...what he did is what best serves the party and re-energizes his supporters....the convention will be lively and will be spirited, Obama will get the nomination and Hillary and her mob can then either get on board fully and risk being Rangel'd when Obama takes office in January....This action also once and for all severely damages any chance Hillary had of serving in the Obama administration down the line....Its one more shrewd move by Barack Obama!

Exactly.
Free Palestine
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by knicks742 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:48 pm

I dont think Hillary has any designs to serve in any Obama administration if it gets to that point. The problem with your analysis, Bball, is that reportedly most of Hillary's supporters have already made up their mind to support the One, its only a small group who are making all this raucus and quite frankly, short of giving her the nomination, they won't change their minds. I really don't see the point of giving her all this. This is his convention, giving Billary 2 speeches should have been enough.
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#36 » by BasicBall » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:08 am

knicks742 wrote:I dont think Hillary has any designs to serve in any Obama administration if it gets to that point. The problem with your analysis, Bball, is that reportedly most of Hillary's supporters have already made up their mind to support the One, its only a small group who are making all this raucus and quite frankly, short of giving her the nomination, they won't change their minds. I really don't see the point of giving her all this. This is his convention, giving Billary 2 speeches should have been enough.

Maybe so, but this is THE CLINTONS.....This aint about 2008, this is about 2012....The Clintons are about The Clintons....B can't win with this selfish group and by trying to stay above the fray he gives the APPEARANCE of playing into The Clinton's hands....Barack is and has proven to be very clever in how he handles things....I mean the way he mentioned what the GOP would try and say, (that was NOT a coincidence) he took that race card damn near out the GOP's hands....He is extremely smooth and clever politician. He knows what the deal is and is just playing The Clintons who THINK they are playing him! And if you think after all of this that Hillary is not interested in a position in the administration you are mistaken....Well let me just say this, Hillary is a big advocate of universal health, IF B offers her a role and she declines, what does that say about her real ambitions??

Lastly the single biggest flaw a black man can show is anger.....Hitting back is one thing, but hitting back hard and smart is the way B goes about his business....Barack is doing what needs to be done, he is going through the gauntlet that the powers that be are making jump through to get what he wants....Eyes on the prize all the time! Eyes on the prize!
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#37 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:43 am

Wingy22 wrote:

"Ensure her place in history"????? You're joking right? Do you think that Obama would be doing this if Hillary won and he lost? "Homey don't think so."

just because homey dont think so doesnt make it so.

DOnt be fooled by Obama, read about him more. Hes very calculated, very political and very ambitious. How else does he go from total obscurity to presidential front runner in 5 years?

Hes an incredible man and Im proud to campaign and support him but please grow up and recognize that both he an Hillary are where they are only because they are willing to get their hands dirty in the process of advancing their own careers.

Obama has taken the high road more often than not partially because thats his personality and in a very large part because he has to. Hes a black man in the US. You think he'd be taken seriously if he wasnt able to unite and put forward an image of reconciliation between all people - regardless of race, gender, political ideals.

Hillary on the other hand can not be that way even if its her personality. As a woman in the US - and basically everywhere on earth - she can only be taken seriously when she puts toughness out there and plays as nasty as the men, nastier even. Granted she can get a temporary boost from certain constituents if she shows emotion but if she does that twice she'd be politically assassinated quicker than Dean was.

Look beyond the headline and page crawls and you'll be more satisfied.

Hillary is making this move for her self, her legacy and the potential that this could have for the future of her career.

Just like McCain had to suck knob and support Bush for 8 yrs in order to become the candidate in 2008 Hillary has to do the same to hope for 2016. The difference is there is less animosity in the democratic party towards her, there is less division between the candidates than there was with Bush/MCCain at the time and Hillary is smarter, younger and more likley to be a force to be reckoned with over the next 8 years {or in 4 yrs if, god forbid, McShame is elected in another republican theft of the nation}
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#38 » by VinnyTheMick » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:55 am

knicks742 wrote: But who knows, still 2 weeks, hopefully something catastrophic comes out and we can take the nomination that was rightfully ours.

Or maybe they'll create a time machine & Hillary can go back in time, lose the "I'm going to be the nominee" ego & actually run an efficient campaign that doesn't overlook the obvious or hemorrhage money.

I think my scenario has a better chance of happening.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by knicks742 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:07 am

VinnyTheMick wrote:
knicks742 wrote: But who knows, still 2 weeks, hopefully something catastrophic comes out and we can take the nomination that was rightfully ours.

Or maybe they'll create a time machine & Hillary can go back in time, lose the "I'm going to be the nominee" ego & actually run an efficient campaign that doesn't overlook the obvious or hemorrhage money.

I think my scenario has a better chance of happening.

I am currently working very hard on a time machine that takes me to before Iowa. Then I will make sure the liberal media forces Edwards out and the nomination will be ours as it should have been.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#40 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:28 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
Wingy22 wrote:

just because homey dont think so doesnt make it so.

DOnt be fooled by Obama, read about him more. Hes very calculated, very political and very ambitious. How else does he go from total obscurity to presidential front runner in 5 years?

Hes an incredible man and Im proud to campaign and support him but please grow up and recognize that both he an Hillary are where they are only because they are willing to get their hands dirty in the process of advancing their own careers.

Obama has taken the high road more often than not partially because thats his personality and in a very large part because he has to. Hes a black man in the US. You think he'd be taken seriously if he wasnt able to unite and put forward an image of reconciliation between all people - regardless of race, gender, political ideals.

Hillary on the other hand can not be that way even if its her personality. As a woman in the US - and basically everywhere on earth - she can only be taken seriously when she puts toughness out there and plays as nasty as the men, nastier even. Granted she can get a temporary boost from certain constituents if she shows emotion but if she does that twice she'd be politically assassinated quicker than Dean was.

Look beyond the headline and page crawls and you'll be more satisfied.

Hillary is making this move for her self, her legacy and the potential that this could have for the future of her career.

Just like McCain had to suck knob and support Bush for 8 yrs in order to become the candidate in 2008 Hillary has to do the same to hope for 2016. The difference is there is less animosity in the democratic party towards her, there is less division between the candidates than there was with Bush/MCCain at the time and Hillary is smarter, younger and more likley to be a force to be reckoned with over the next 8 years {or in 4 yrs if, god forbid, McShame is elected in another republican theft of the nation}

Don't get me wrong, there are things about Obama that I have come not to like . . . e.g. FISA compromise; off-shore drilling compromise; Israel flip-flop; and, now, wussing out to Hilary and Bill. I think he's looking very weak here and it does concern me. But that doesn't mean that she's not a piece of crap.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks