ImageImageImageImageImage

Why Are Knick Fans/ Knicks Orginization So Hated???

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NewEra
RealGM
And1: 13,323

Why Are Knick Fans/ Knicks Orginization So Hated??? 

Post#1 » by NewEra » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:07 pm

Everywhere I go people seem to dislike the Knicks. I don't post much but i've been on this board for a while now and it seems to me that when it comes to the Knicks, people really hate this team. It's not like we've won anything to be hated for. For example, if you were to post a trade Idea on another board that has anything to do with a Knick, people will either laugh at you or totally ignore you. We were once one of the most respected franchises in the game and now we seem to be the least respected.

Could it be because we're a big city that gets a lot of attention and the fans of other teams are jealous because we suck right now and no matter how good their team gets they'll never get the type of attention New York does?

When did this hate begin, and when will it end?
BAF- 2020 Champs | 2021 2k Champs
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Re: Why Are Knick Fans/ Knicks Orginization So Hated??? 

Post#2 » by Bill Bradley » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:22 pm

It's a combination of a lot of factors, I think. For one, our organization has been a joke over the last several years. Secondly, we have a wide range of posters, and unfortunately some of them have posted some ridiculous trades on other team's boards. Third, there are a lot of morons on other boards who bash the Knicks because we are an easy target and they see others bash us. We are a target for small-minded people who think only in terms of black and white. Most intelligent posters aren't so dumb and trollish, though I have to say that there are some mods on other boards that are equally as bad (e.g., Cavs and Kings' boards).
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,901

Post#3 » by cgf » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:25 pm

Dude, we let isiah run our team. It's going to take a while before we stop being a complete joke in the eyes of fans of smaller market teams who are already pissed at all the attention we get just because the Knicks play in NYC. Walsh has completely changed how our team is run but fans of other teams don't know that and it might take a while for them to do so.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
NewEra
RealGM

Post#4 » by NewEra » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:37 pm

cgf wrote:Dude, we let isiah run our team. It's going to take a while before we stop being a complete joke in the eyes of fans of smaller market teams who are already pissed at all the attention we get just because the Knicks play in NYC. Walsh has completely changed how our team is run but fans of other teams don't know that and it might take a while for them to do so.

This started before Isaiah and he's only a part of why we got into this mess.

We also have a lot of immature fans who don't know how to keep their mouth shut and are always posting stupid ideas making the fans known as the most knowlegable fans in the game look like complete idiots.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#5 » by TheBluest » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:37 pm

We haven't done any favors for ourselves that's for sure, team and fan wise. The Franchise has been probably the most incompetent ran in NBA history the past decade. The players we've assembled as what would be assumed our Core the past 5yrs have been the worst collection of athletes, with very few exceptions, one could imagine of putting together. Our fan base has essentially no standard, are extremely homeristic, and point blank up until last yr were accepting the product being presented to them. Looks like we're back to this point again. Then we have quite a few fans who aren't really that intelligent but act like they are. I mean just this summer alone, about half of this board didn't know the advantage or what a TPE was. I'm not sure if it's due to age or simply an overall lack of intelligence. As far as the outsiders go, some will hate just to hate and some have given fair criticism to this franchise. I personally ignore all the criticism and take it as a given until we start changing the culture and winning games. Bottom line is the W, there is no other standard, including looking pretty or being entertaining while losing.
Jesus Juice
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#6 » by Jesus Juice » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:42 pm

I lived in NY for 18 years, and have been out of the city for 4 while in school, I have lived and visited a few places. when talking about the city, they either love it or hated. Newyorkers are proud people that are passionate, and it rubs others the wrong way, and for the people that hate the proud Big City people who think they got it right, there is no better way to piss us off than making fun of our team. The city is a sexy place that gets alot of attention for everything. our local news is covered nationally, I get catch almost any out of market NY game at a bar, we are loved by many. where we live is important to other people, there is alot to hate us for, but not much to make fun of us about, so for the people that hate us sports is the spot it hurts.

As far as the boards are concerned and the league, it has alot to do with what donnie said, We don't value our players and so people don't value our players simple as that. we yell at our draft picks no matter who it is, We chant fire isiah in games, boo our starting players. all rightfully so, but u never see seattle boo there team, (then again we never see them), miami sucked last year noone said get rid of pat riley. We don't respect our team and management, although its warrented. if we don't why should they. Call your girlfriend a bitch in front of your friends see if they don't call her a bitch too.
NewEra
RealGM

Post#7 » by NewEra » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:46 pm

TheBluest wrote:We haven't done any favors for ourselves that's for sure, team and fan wise. The Franchise has been probably the most incompetent ran in NBA history the past decade. The players we've assembled as what would be assumed our Core the past 5yrs have been the worst collection of athletes, with very few exceptions, one could imagine of putting together. Our fan base has essentially no standard, are extremely homeristic, and point blank up until last yr were accepting the product being presented to them. Looks like we're back to this point again. Then we have quite a few fans who aren't really that intelligent but act like they are. I mean just this summer alone, about half of this board didn't know the advantage or what a TPE was. I'm not sure if it's due to age or simply an overall lack of intelligence. As far as the outsiders go, some will hate just to hate and some have given fair criticism to this franchise. I personally ignore all the criticism and take it as a given until we start changing the culture and winning games. Bottom line is the W, there is no other standard, including looking pretty or being entertaining while losing.

+1
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,046

Post#8 » by GONYK » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:48 pm

Jesus Juice wrote:
As far as the boards are concerned and the league, it has alot to do with what donnie said, We don't value our players and so people don't value our players simple as that. we yell at our draft picks no matter who it is, We chant fire isiah in games, boo our starting players. all rightfully so, but u never see seattle boo there team, (then again we never see them), miami sucked last year noone said get rid of pat riley. We don't respect our team and management, although its warrented. if we don't why should they. Call your girlfriend a bitch in front of your friends see if they don't call her a bitch too.
I think you nailed it. Just look on this board. After you have read your 100th "Eddy Curry at McDonald's" joke of the day, you begin to wonder where this alleged intelligence of NY fans are. Listen to the radio, you hear that a lot of fans that call in have whatever opinion Lupica or Lawrence told them to, or they still think that trading for Iverson is a good idea. On top of that, every player on the Knicks is "garbage" and we boo our own team 10 mins into the game. If we, as fans, act this way for the rest of the country to see, why should any fan of any other team treat us or our team with any respect?

On top of all this, there is already resentment for being in the largest market in the world getting all the attention. Smaller market teams don't get nearly the coverage we do, even though they may be better. That breeds hostility as well. Just ask Net fans.
phazephuture
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#9 » by phazephuture » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:50 pm

It also has to do with the general NY bias... Max Kellerman talks about it in regard to the Yankees all the time. Alot of these smaller market cities simply hate on NY because we can throw more money around then they can... I mean obviously this works easier in MLB because there is no cap but still with or without a cap the Knicks will always be at the top of the payroll list.

And like dude said... there are alot of jerk offs out there that just hate because they hear someone on ESPN use the knicks as the butt of their joke and thats the popular thing now
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,901

Post#10 » by cgf » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:51 pm

newera wrote:
cgf wrote:Dude, we let isiah run our team. It's going to take a while before we stop being a complete joke in the eyes of fans of smaller market teams who are already pissed at all the attention we get just because the Knicks play in NYC. Walsh has completely changed how our team is run but fans of other teams don't know that and it might take a while for them to do so.

This started before Isaiah and he's only a part of why we got into this mess.

We also have a lot of immature fans who don't know how to keep their mouth shut and are always posting stupid ideas making the fans known as the most knowlegable fans in the game look like complete idiots.

Layden wasn't much better. But you're right we have a lot of fans who say ridiculously stupid things.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
NewEra
RealGM

Post#11 » by NewEra » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:54 pm

Please tell me how to respect players that sit on the bench laughing while losing by a large margin.

That's unacceptable!
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#12 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:02 pm

It's a combination of two things:

1. Our players have typically been either so overpaid or so undertalented as to be virtually untradable and in some cases worthy of laughter.
2. With our team full of overpaid and undertalented players, we've had more reason to want trades than another other fans in the league so naturally we make the most overall trade posts, which are then ridiculed because of how overpaid and undertalented our players are.
Jesus Juice
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#13 » by Jesus Juice » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:12 pm

so if they sat on the bench and looked sad and dejected would that make u feel better? a loss is a loss, and I understand the booing, the Knicks arent the first team to have a tough time, and wont be the last. I don't think you understand how hard it is to win a title, in like the last 20 years only 8 different teams out of 30 have won a title! I am not saying we arent warrented to be mad, but alot of other teams can be just as mad, you don't see them doing what we do. Us booing everything managment does and our public chastizing doesn't help anything, the players value is shot, I use seattle again. what has ray allen and rashard lewis accomplished in before last year, besides one playoff appearence, but lewis can get a huge contract, and ray allen can fetch a fifth overall pick. what can marbury get us, zach can't get anything but his numbers are just as good as others mentioned, plus he isn't as selfish as others would think when he gets 2 assists a game. We don't help with the public's view of our team.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#14 » by TheBluest » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:20 pm

newera wrote:
TheBluest wrote:We haven't done any favors for ourselves that's for sure, team and fan wise. The Franchise has been probably the most incompetent ran in NBA history the past decade. The players we've assembled as what would be assumed our Core the past 5yrs have been the worst collection of athletes, with very few exceptions, one could imagine of putting together. Our fan base has essentially no standard, are extremely homeristic, and point blank up until last yr were accepting the product being presented to them. Looks like we're back to this point again. Then we have quite a few fans who aren't really that intelligent but act like they are. I mean just this summer alone, about half of this board didn't know the advantage or what a TPE was. I'm not sure if it's due to age or simply an overall lack of intelligence. As far as the outsiders go, some will hate just to hate and some have given fair criticism to this franchise. I personally ignore all the criticism and take it as a given until we start changing the culture and winning games. Bottom line is the W, there is no other standard, including looking pretty or being entertaining while losing.

+1

Can I + your 1?

Everything gets down to W's and L's. I forgot to add we cry like no other also. This thread is proof of it. Seriously who cares what other fans think of our team. Sure it would be nice if everyone liked us but at the same time there's a certain sense of pride that can be taken from being hated whether you're amongst a winning culture or losing. If you're a part of the losing or winning then do what it takes to shut people up or prove them wrong.
-Ducky-
Starter
And1: 6

Post#15 » by -Ducky- » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:27 pm

I think a lot of the booing comes from the loyalty to the franchise, as weird as that may sound. There is a brutally honest, no-nonsense type attitude in NYC, and people express their displeasure in unsatisfactory service. Sometimes its the only way to get things done.

When other teams suck, people just don't show up, and/or lose interest, but the Knicks continue to have top 10 attendance. Maybe its the shear size of the fanbase, but fans show up because they care about a team, and choose to express their disappointment, the only way they know how. It this endearment I think that separates this city form all others in the US, and perhaps what ticks off other loyal fans who see their fan base disappear at the jump of a gun.
mccannd
Starter
And1: 0

Post#16 » by mccannd » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:36 pm

newera wrote:Everywhere I go people seem to dislike the Knicks. I don't post much but i've been on this board for a while now and it seems to me that when it comes to the Knicks, people really hate this team. It's not like we've won anything to be hated for. For example, if you were to post a trade Idea on another board that has anything to do with a Knick, people will either laugh at you or totally ignore you. We were once one of the most respected franchises in the game and now we seem to be the least respected.

Could it be because we're a big city that gets a lot of attention and the fans of other teams are jealous because we suck right now and no matter how good their team gets they'll never get the type of attention New York does?

When did this hate begin, and when will it end?

There are many reasons but as a NY raised and educated sports fan who has lived all over the US for almost sixty years New Yorkers come off too often as rude and arrogant know it alls.
We are discussing no small matter, but how we ought to live.

Socrates (399 B.C.)
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#17 » by TKF » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:38 pm

GONYK wrote:
Jesus Juice wrote:
I think you nailed it. Just look on this board. After you have read your 100th "Eddy Curry at McDonald's" joke of the day, you begin to wonder where this alleged intelligence of NY fans are. Listen to the radio, you hear that a lot of fans that call in have whatever opinion Lupica or Lawrence told them to, or they still think that trading for Iverson is a good idea. On top of that, every player on the Knicks is "garbage" and we boo our own team 10 mins into the game. If we, as fans, act this way for the rest of the country to see, why should any fan of any other team treat us or our team with any respect?

On top of all this, there is already resentment for being in the largest market in the world getting all the attention. Smaller market teams don't get nearly the coverage we do, even though they may be better. That breeds hostility as well. Just ask Net fans.

gony, I know I could count on you to make a reasonable post... I think a lot of this started in the late 80's and early 90's when the knicks were winning, playing "beat em up" basketball. NY fans seemed to have this sense of entitlement, so I think that draws a lot of hatred, but if you look at the succes of the NY yankees, I think it spills over to other sports. People just lump all NY fans into the same pot, although some knick fans may not be yankee fans... And you hit the nail on the head, we don't value our players, we bad mouth them, and when we try to defend them, we are considered homers, by fellow fans.. LOL . Well you know what, when 20,000 people sit in arena and boo the team, and GM every game, I hardly call that homerism, so that theory is just outright ridiculous, and to say that we have accepted lower standards is another ridiculous remark. Sitting on a forum and whining about moves you can't control doesn't make you a realist, it makes you a lunatic. I think most fans pick something from this mess, let it be a young player with upside or a player like lee, and they rally around that player in hopes that better days are in the horizon. That is called being a fan, and understanding you cant' control what the GM does, and you may not like the moves the team has made, you still root for your team, hoping for the best, and praying things will change in the future... I just resent the notion that we are hated for being homers, that is just a ridiculous remark and honestly, other fans don't care if you are a homer, why should they? and they don't hate you for being bad. People don't hate bad teams, but they hate good teams. The Yankees, Patriots, Celtics of the 80's etc..... I think the hate now comes from our huge and dedicated fan base, and from our past success which may have rubbed some the wrong way, national coverage.. and add in the fact that most NY fans are Obnoxious doesn't help....
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#18 » by TKF » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Let me ask you a question. What proof do you have of that? Did you read where fans came out and said as a whole? We love what is going on? or do you hear boos at the garden? do you hear fire Isiah chants? And let me ask you this? did you watch the knicks last year, or did you tune in to watch another team, a better product? because if you didn't, then you are one of those who have no standards either. personally, I have purchased the NBA league pass for the past 12+ years or since it first came out, and I along with the knicks have chosen to watch other teams, other products that were just superior to the knicks. Did you do the same? Because if you continued to watch this horrible product, what does that say? are you a homer? or are you just like the rest of us? diehard fans...

I would not be so arrogant to sit here and call people homers and accepting low standards, just because they root for their team through thick and thin. No one here I am sure likes what is happenning. No one!!! can they control that? not really, doesn't mean they have accepted it. This forum is full of fans who have protested scott layden, booed Isiah, and ridiculed lazy players. Our standards have not changed on bit. I think it is pretty arrogant to sit back and say that as if you are above the average fan because you sit there and complain and whine 24/7.. yet watch the games.. that doesn't make you a realist, I can tell you that....
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#19 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:28 pm

I was gonna say the same thing as TKF.

It started in the 90s when the meanie knicks were being physical with golden boy Jordan and co.

also Pat complaining and looking all slick and guys like Mason getting busted for statutory rape and such didnt help

also we lacked the personable star that some teams had so there was nothing for weak minded fans from outside the tri-state to latch to. similar to the Pistons today, though their PR has been very good in comparison to ours. they seem to have completely recovered from the bad press of the brawl. artest being the villain helped too
nyknicks09
RealGM
And1: 3,215

Post#20 » by nyknicks09 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:54 pm

We are the most hated fans because we don't hide when our team is doing bad in a consistent manner. Our fanbase is huge and basketball is part of our culture in New York Sports. You'll be surprise how many Knicks fan are outside the Tri-State area. We hate to lose and we hate to watch players not show effort and passion on the court. We demand winning from this organization because we as fans show up at games, watch the games for those who live outside of the Tri-State area, and because we want this team to succeed for the sake of sports in New York. One thing you can say about New Yorkers that pay good money for season tickets is that they won't take crap from a team who don't play with effort and passion. I, personally am one of those fans who live outside the Tri-State area. I once live across the Hudson River in Jersey since I was 9 years old and then moved to South Carolina when I was 17 years old in 2001. Soccer was the only sport that I ever like to play and watch. Basketball became the 2nd sport that I started to like once I begun to played the game and watch the Knicks on T.V. when Starks played for the Knicks. I could've chose to be a Nets fan since I lived in Jersey but I liked the Knicks more and we all know that the Knicks were better in the Ewing and Starks days. My best friend back in Jersey is a Rockets fans. We watched those finals together when our Knicks lost the series to the Rockets and we also watched those series when we played the Pacers who had Miller. He teased me when Miller got hot against our Knicks......"Miller Time"...........it was depressing for me. My friend liked Starks alot and so did I. We played basketball all the times after school at the YMCA. He mock John Starks and Reggie Miller alot because he loved to shoot those 3's all the times. This is how I became a Knicks fan and I will always be a Knicks fans until the day I'm gone.
New York Knicks

Return to New York Knicks