ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: McCain moves ahead of Obama

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Re: OT: McCain moves ahead of Obama 

Post#21 » by knicks742 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:08 pm

^^^^

First time voting Republican.
knickfan212
Senior
And1: 20

Post#22 » by knickfan212 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:10 pm

These polls don't really mean anything.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,874

Post#23 » by cgf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:11 pm

ElMatatan wrote:Obama >>> McCain

close thread.

No Turd Sandwich is better than Giants Douche. For those who won't understand what I mean I'm saying both candidates are terrible partisan shmucks who'll continue the recent cycle of bigger and more wasteful government.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM

Post#24 » by cgf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:14 pm

VinnyTheMick wrote:Democratic sheep? I have yet to see an effective argument from any McCain supporter (especially Andrenym) as to why he would make a good president. The argument is always against Obama, not for McCain.

btw- CNN poll has Obama with a 4 point lead for what its worth.

Same for most obamanites. If you ask them why obama they'll go on and on about how evil McCain is.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#25 » by VinnyTheMick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:21 pm

cgf wrote:
VinnyTheMick wrote:Democratic sheep? I have yet to see an effective argument from any McCain supporter (especially Andrenym) as to why he would make a good president. The argument is always against Obama, not for McCain.

Same for most obamanites. If you ask them why obama they'll go on and on about how evil McCain is.

Except for the tiny little fact that most Obama supporters have supported him since very early on in the primaries while most republicans don't like McCain but have to back him because that is who they are stuck with. Hence, they want to make this election an issue of anti-Obama rather than pro-McCain.

Knicks742- Politics of fear, got it.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
cgf
RealGM

Post#26 » by cgf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:22 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:

The tragedy is that, this is what sells.

My opponant did this? Not, I will do this. It's a flaw in human nature I think that makes the attack more effective than the reality or position. Hopefully Obama can win over America, cause I'm scared of what McCain will do and I'd be embarrassed to be an American if he wins. America would be the laughing stock of the world.

It's the end result of the rtwo party system. If you have to boil down the choices to dumbass a or dumbass b you're going to have to settle for the lesser of two evils. And I consider that a simply atrocious way of electing a leader, it's also a large reason why I've been so support of Ron Paul. I disagree with him on some major issues, but he's the first candidate in my lifetime who has national appeal and isn't being drawn into the partisan game of who's worse.

knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by knicks742 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:25 pm

VinnyTheMick wrote:

You are predictable. I knew you were going to say. Difference is that I have lived what Im talking about, when was the last time you had to worry about not standing next to a car bomb or being worried that its late and your mom may have been kidnapped or stuck in a blackout? You dont know what thats like man, and i dont need McCain or Obama to lecture me on that.

Anywho, I have said why Im voting for McCain, how about you?
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,240

Post#28 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:26 pm

If the publicans had voted Romny or Thompson or even that Wacky congressman Paul, I'd have strongly considered each guys policy and I'd have considered voting republican. I like Obama, but he seems kinda young, so I don't know if I really like him as a presidential candidate. He might be great, or he might be an unsuccessful one term pres like Carter or Bush the First.

But with McCain, who has said some wacky stuff and run a campaign of lies, and basically started showing his senility 3 years ago - he scares the dickens out of me.
Go NY Go NY Go
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#29 » by VinnyTheMick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:32 pm

knicks742 wrote:
VinnyTheMick wrote:

You are predictable. I knew you were going to say. Difference is that I have lived what Im talking about, when was the last time you had to worry about not standing next to a car bomb or being worried that its late and your mom may have been kidnapped or stuck in a blackout? You dont know what thats like man, just go back to smoking your coke and living your "difficult" life here.

Smoking coke? :lol: When have I ever complained about having a difficult life on here? You must be on the rag or whatever the gay equivalent is.

You want to attack my life? Maybe you should stick to getting pissy drunk at those sunday brunches at gay bars you always tell me about. What a hard life you lead. How much money do you make annually again?
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#30 » by VinnyTheMick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:33 pm

knicks742 wrote:
VinnyTheMick wrote:

You are predictable. I knew you were going to say. Difference is that I have lived what Im talking about, when was the last time you had to worry about not standing next to a car bomb or being worried that its late and your mom may have been kidnapped or stuck in a blackout? You dont know what thats like man, and i dont need McCain or Obama to lecture me on that.

Anywho, I have said why Im voting for McCain, how about you?

too late to edit, jackass.
cgf
RealGM

Post#31 » by cgf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:If the publicans had voted Romny or Thompson or even that Wacky congressman Paul, I'd have strongly considered each guys policy and I'd have considered voting republican. I like Obama, but he seems kinda young, so I don't know if I really like him as a presidential candidate. He might be great, or he might be an unsuccessful one term pres like Carter or Bush the First.

But with McCain, who has said some wacky stuff and run a campaign of lies, and basically started showing his senility 3 years ago - he scares the dickens out of me.

Obama's biggest problem isn't that he's young. It's that he's built a campaign by saying change over and over again while still being the exact same party guy that he says he's trying to eliminate.

knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by knicks742 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:42 pm

VinnyTheMick wrote:
knicks742 wrote:
VinnyTheMick wrote:

You are predictable. I knew you were going to say. Difference is that I have lived what Im talking about, when was the last time you had to worry about not standing next to a car bomb or being worried that its late and your mom may have been kidnapped or stuck in a blackout? You dont know what thats like man, just go back to smoking your coke and living your "difficult" life here.

Smoking coke? :lol: When have I ever complained about having a difficult life on here? You must be on the rag or whatever the gay equivalent is.

You want to attack my life? Maybe you should stick to getting pissy drunk at those sunday brunches at gay bars you always tell me about. What a hard life you lead. How much money do you make annually again?

That was out of line by me which is why I edited. However, I did not appreciate that you just dismissed my thought process as "politics of fear". You make it sound like I saw some ad one night where McCain said Obama was the boogeyman and that's how I came to my conclusion. Not sure if you've noticed but when politics are discussed you tend to dismiss other people's thoughts process rather quickly even after you were the one asking the question from me originally aso to why I supported McCain instead of having a discussion as to why one thinks that way.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#33 » by VinnyTheMick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:58 pm

knicks742 wrote:
That was out of line by me which is why I edited. However, I did not appreciate that you just dismissed my thought process as "politics of fear". You make it sound like I saw some ad one night where McCain said Obama was the boogeyman and that's how I came to my conclusion. Not sure if you've noticed but when politics are discussed you tend to dismiss other people's thoughts process rather quickly even after you were the one asking the question from me originally aso to why I supported McCain instead of having a discussion as to why one thinks that way.

I dismiss people's arguments? I don't even try to get into politics on here anymore but when a moron like the OP makes thread after thread of pure garbage you're damn right I'm going to call him out on it & dismiss almost everything the man says.

Your thought process went into no detail about how McCain is clearly superior on foreign policy, only why you feel national security is important. All you said was that McCain is lightyears ahead of Obama. Not exactly an in depth explanation of why you are voting for the man. So when I sum up your argument for McCain in one sentence, don't get mad & start insulting people because your argument for McCain was at the most only three sentences long.
Isiah killed the knicks
Junior
And1: 0

Post#34 » by Isiah killed the knicks » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:02 pm

After 8 years of the worst president in the history of this country, if McCain gets voted in this country deserves every bad thing that will happen afterwards. I got family in Toronto and will be moving up there if McCain wins. I am not letting the morons in the fly-over states drag me into their world of $hit
"Thomas is a master tanker. Imagine if we had let him tank the first 2 years he was here." - optimusadl
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#35 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:18 pm

cgf wrote:Obama's biggest problem isn't that he's young. It's that he's built a campaign by saying change over and over again while still being the exact same party guy that he says he's trying to eliminate.

are you trying to say that Obama is the exact same as McCain or Bush?

either way you must be joking. Some mind-numbingly amazing stuff has been coming off your keyboard recently cgf. Is it always april fools where you live?
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Post#36 » by duetta » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:19 pm

knicks742 wrote:As you know, neither is my first choice. So I have to think to myself what is more important to me? Right now, I have to say security is more important. Economy is 1b.

I believe that not everyone in the world wants to live in peace. I do believe there are enemies out there. I strongly support a President who is willing to take preemptive actions to protect America. I have lived in a country where terrorist acts happened every day and I do not want that to happen here. I also understand that intelligence is not 100% correct and if the President has to make an error, I'd rather he act than wait for something to happen here. Again, this is just my opinion based on my life experience. I believe that McCain is much closer to this ideology than Obama so that's why I am leaning his way.

As far as the economy, they both sound lost to me so I am voting purely on foreign policy right now, and to me, McCain is light years ahead on that issue.

I understand you''re not native born - and that many recent immigrants have a different take on the security issue. The problem is that the Republicans have wrecked our military, not to mention our reputation around the world. They want to fight wars but refuse to pay for them, or implement a draft to insure that we have adequate manpower. They know if they tried, the American people would reject them - even if FOX continues to spin its shameless propaganda 24/7. McCain is still attempting to exorcise his demons from Vietnam. This fool should be in therapy instead of running for President.

Meanwhile, Hillary's husband was a coward who refused to either take a stand against Vietnam or live up to his ROTC obligation. And Hillary has no experience of war except in the bedroom and when taking on her political opponents. Bill did an infinitely better job as Commander-in-Chief than Dubya, but even he had a hand in enabling our ultimately self-destructive obsession with Saddam.

At some point Americans are going to have to understand that the world is not ours to shape as we see fit - and being a leader of the free world isn't the same thing as being a jackass or a bully. There are authentic limits to American influence> "Evil" has existed since the beginning of human history, and likely will outlast us all. Speaking of national security, here's a link to an op-ed this morning from Mikhail Gorbachev that presents the other side of the Russia-Georgia war. The more that Americans make critical thinking a regular part of their of lives, the safer America is likely to remain in the decades to come.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/20/opini ... achev.html
cgf
RealGM

Post#37 » by cgf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:36 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
cgf wrote:Obama's biggest problem isn't that he's young. It's that he's built a campaign by saying change over and over again while still being the exact same party guy that he says he's trying to eliminate.

are you trying to say that Obama is the exact same as McCain or Bush?

either way you must be joking. Some mind-numbingly amazing stuff has been coming off your keyboard recently cgf. Is it always april fools where you live?

I didn't mean to imply that Obama is the same as McCain. I meant to imply that Obama is the same as the partisan politicians he started his campaign by saying he wanted to combat. He's charismatic, he's young, he's of mixed race, but he's still a pure politician and that's what he started off saying he was going to washington to combat. Now look you may agree with his views or you may not, personally I disagree with a big government and obama's a huge supporter of expanding the government, however the problem is that he represents no real change and is simply a product of political machine.

Honestly I wouldn't mind an obama presidency simply because with a democratic congress he'd be free to pass laws that the democratic party wants. And that's great for me, you want to know why? Because the democratic party will things worse for the people of the united states and hopefully embarass themselves like the republicans have done under bush. Also as conditions get worse people will become more and more discontent with the performance of the government and maybe in 2012 or 2016 they'll actually be ready to vote for change.

Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,613

Post#38 » by Lord Commander » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:49 pm

If this country elects McCain and Lieberman (the rumored VP candidate), it deserves all the **** that will follow. How can anyone say that McCain would be a better manager of the economy when he admitted that is not his strong suit?
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#39 » by VinnyTheMick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:53 pm

McCain has sought to make trade a centerpiece of his campaign, even stumping in Mexico and Canada in support of NAFTA. Obama should take him up on this -- but he needn't imitate the populism of a Bernie Sanders or Sherrod Brown, as successful as that is, to make his point. McCain is frozen in an old fraudulent debate about free trade against protectionism. Obama should dismiss that as a fool's choice.

The reality is that our corporate trade policies -- of by and for global corporations and banks -- can't be sustained; they are making us increasingly dependent on the kindness of foreign creditors, like the Chinese bankers.

The challenge is a fundamental one to our society -- how do we sustain a broad and prosperous middle class in a global economy? More of the same won't get that done, as the middle class is now sinking -- despite working harder , longer and with greater productivity than workers in every other industrial country.

We need to start with a clear measure The success of this economy is not whether multinationals are profiting. Corporate profits have reached record levels, but wages have stagnated. The success of an Obama economy will be measured by whether working families are prospering, whether wages are rising, jobs are more secure, health care and education is affordable and available.

For this we need a dramatic change in course. Current trade deals are simply an expression of corporate lobbies. So no more -- until we forge a national strategy that works for working people, not just special interests. A centerpiece of this must be an Apollo Plan for energy independence, a concerted drive, creating jobs here by investing in efficiency and renewable energy, while seeding the research to capture the new green markets of the future. We need to reward companies for keeping jobs here rather than shipping them abroad - unlike McCain's profligate tax breaks for corporations which will reward them no matter where their jobs are going. We have to invest in education and training, in infrastructure and research and development so we can sustain a high wage path in a global economy -- unlike McCain's plan to lavish more tax breaks on the wealthy while cutting investments in vital domestic programs. We have to push for new global rules that raise standards for the environment, workers, consumers and small investors. We have to curb the casino financial speculation which is destabilizing the real economy, contrary to the advice of Phil Gramm, McCain's financial guru who is an officer in UBS, a bank now under investigation illegally abetting billionaires seeking to avoid paying US taxes. And we have to challenge the mercantilist nations like China that are playing by a different set of rules, putting companies on notice that that we will pursue more but balanced trade with Beijing. FInally, we have to make certain that workers capture a fair share of the increased productivity that they have produced. That requires empowering workers to organize. And it requires insuring basic economic rights -- starting with affordable health care -- that aren't at risk if you lose your job.

full article here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-l- ... 19889.html
cgf
RealGM

Post#40 » by cgf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:26 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:If this country elects McCain and Lieberman (the rumored VP candidate), it deserves all the **** that will follow.

I could say the same thing about obama, does that mean that one of them's better than the other or that they both suck?

Return to New York Knicks