ImageImageImageImageImage

Brand laughed at prospect of playing for NY

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Re: Brand laughed at prospect of playing for NY 

Post#21 » by kosmovitelli » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:05 pm

frogfood wrote:way to painfully overreact over innocuous smalltalk. What's he suppsoed to say, yes I'd rather play for NY even though I signed with Philly.

He was supposed to say "I'd rather play for a capped out team that won 23 games the previous season instead of the Sixers (a team under the cap that made the playoffs and pushed the Pistons to the brink of elimination)". LOL

Anyway I'm not even sure he was laughing about playing for the Knicks, maybe it's the stupid idea of the Clippers making a sign and trade that made him laugh.

Elton Brand perfectly knows how cheap the Clippers are since they offered him $2OM less than the Sixers (because they were stupid enough to renounce his rights) so he knows a sign and trade was never a possibility.
And what could we offer anyway ? Zach Randolph and 6 first round picks ? LOL

Seriously when was the last time the Clippers made a sign and trade just to get compensation ? I can't even recall that ever happening.
Either they resign their free agents or they let them walk. I don't remember the Clippers making a sign and trade.

I'm happy Brand joined the Sixers, if he's healthy that team will be fun to watch next year. It makes things interesting in the East. That's for sure. Not to mention it's another example of how important is cap flexibility in the NBA.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#22 » by TKF » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:09 pm

Brand seems like a good guy, he is a bit overrated( very good player tho), but he is a good guy. I didn't really see where he said anything that badm or bad at all. We will see how long that honeymoon in philly lasts.. good luck to him tho.. He is truly a class act, and one of the hard working good guys in the league..
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#23 » by Bill Bradley » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:12 pm

nykfan70 wrote:LOL, this topic was made to show what this forum as become, and that is a JOKE!.

LOck it and delete it for all I care, I am outta here, THANK GOD!, I am free at last! YAHOOOOOOOOO!.

How many times do we have to tell you? No periods after exclamation points!
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#24 » by TheBluest » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:34 pm

[/quote="kosmovitelli"]

He was supposed to say "I'd rather play for a capped out team that won 23 games the previous season instead of the Sixers (a team under the cap that made the playoffs and pushed the Pistons to the brink of elimination)". LOL

Anyway I'm not even sure he was laughing about playing for the Knicks, maybe it's the stupid idea of the Clippers making a sign and trade that made him laugh.

Agreed!

Elton Brand perfectly knows how cheap the Clippers are since they offered him $2OM less than the Sixers (because they were stupid enough to renounce his rights) so he knows a sign and trade was never a possibility.
And what could we offer anyway ? Zach Randolph and 6 first round picks ? LOL

Someone really needs to start checking and balancing your posts. You've posted some wildly inaccurate stuff this whole off-season and it's really shocking because usually you're on it. Brand signed in Philly for 5yrs/$79mil officially. Are you the type that keeps stereotyping the Clippers and just pulled the $20mil less offer out of your ass. I find this funny how Knick fans hate when outsiders stereo type our sucktitude but we do it the same and often times to far greater extreme. Were you exaggerating? DO you really stand by this the Clips offered Brand $20mil less than the 5yr/$79mil he signed in Philly? That would be $59mil over 5yrs. LOL! come on. He was initially offered $70mil, then he balked, they renounced some players and gave him a second offer of $75mil, he then went and bartered a deal with Philly and they tried to give him one last offer that he rejected which was for $81mil, jerk Ass Faulk his agent talked Brand over into Fing them over and said too late we won't accept.

I mean seriously think about what you're saying. Although they didn't give up much to get Camby, they still have to pay his $10mil salary this season. Then they signed Ricky Davis, that's another $2.5mil. They signed Jason Williams add another $1.25mil. They signed Skinner add another $1.6mil. By my math Brand's money went to these 4 players right about at the same figure of a 5yr/$81mil contract would have been worth the first yr, maybe slightly more. Explain to me how they were cheap again. And don't come back with "Well they had no choice and were trying to save face at that point." Oh and don't forget supposedly they tried to steal according to many here Zach Randolph's 3yr $45mil remaining contract. The Cheap Bastard Clips LOL LOL LOL!

Seriously when was the last time the Clippers made a sign and trade just to get compensation ? I can't even recall that ever happening.
Either they resign their free agents or they let them walk. I don't remember the Clippers making a sign and trade.

So all the other transactions are void such as giving Kaman $50mil extension, Signing Cuttino Mobley as a FA outright at nearly $45mil, signing a BUM such as Tim Thomas for $15mil, giving Sam Cassell extension at $12mil, giving Baron $65mil all of this in a span of 4yrs?

The Clips are cheap banter is played out seriously it is. Just because they don't operate well over the cap doesn't make them cheap. They have been given certain situations in the past but over the past 4yrs or so they really haven't been. They let Odom, Q, and Miller go without compensation. They offered Odom a 3yr deal at $24mil when he was a RFA but he told them not to offer him a contract and not to match Miami's offer of $60mil. I believe they signed Brand the same off-season to a contract matching Miami's offer sheet, who they went after first and Brand initially didn't want them to match either. They let Miller sign in Denver for $45mil without matching. I think they matched Magz offer from Utah at about $42mil. They let Q sign in Phx for $42mil. Tell me who would have wanted Q's contract the past 2 yrs. They traded Darius Miles a yr later to Cleveland I believe and LOL @ him he's not even in the league right now. The only player of the 3 who has truly lived up to the value of his deal is Miller.

Now ask yourself how long ago did these guys sign these deal? We need to stop our own personal ignorance crapping on other teams when we can't stand when it's done to us.

I'm happy Brand joined the Sixers, if he's healthy that team will be fun to watch next year. It makes things interesting in the East. That's for sure. Not to mention it's another example of how important is cap flexibility in the NBA.

I hope he ruptures both Achilles. He didn't handle the off-season well and even Baron was shocked how things went down so that tells you something wasn't up to par on his end. I think he's a good ball player, not sure if he was goofing on the Knicks according to the quotes in the initial post but OTOH I thought everyone wants to play in the NYC?
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by TKF » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:03 am

Bluest: I don't want to speak for kos, and I am sure he will respond himself, but the difference , initially was about 12 mil. the clippers gave him a 70 mil, take it or leave it offer, only when they felt they would really lose brand did they make desperate attempts to match philly.. But I found this article and it made things a little clearer..

here is a snippet...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... 5853.story

Late last week, after the Warriors offered Brand $90 million, the Clippers upped their offer to $75 million. Then, Tuesday, the 76ers made a trade to clear some cap space for Brand. That was when the Clippers offered him an $81-million deal for five years, a deal, Falk said, that was only extended after the organization knew they had accepted Philadelphia's offer.

So although they didn't offer him 20 mil less than the sixers they did offer 12 less and when the warriors came with a 90 mil offer, they only came up 5 mil.. Sorry, but that organization is cheap. It is the truth.. There was an aritcle a while ago in which baylor said he had to almost force sterling to spend money, it has always been sterlings way....
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#26 » by TheBluest » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:19 am

Elgin is about as half assed as it gets when it comes to GM's. Ask any Clip fan, I know you won't though. MD is really the brains behind their whole season.

Good grief TKF it wasn't $20mil and it wasn't $12mil. You have to go off of what he accepted vs what the Clips had room to offer, did offer. GSW had more cap space than the Clips after the Clips already shelled out cash to BD. Matter of fact Brand tried negotiate his deal in advanced and without his Agent's knowledge, which pissed off Faulk because he felt MD was the mastermind, going behind his back to broker a deal with his client. But really Faulk and Brand were waiting for Philly all along. They could have signed Brand to the contract GSW offered him but they wouldn't have been able to sign Baron, not in case BD takes an even greater paycut than he already did. You're calling a team cheap when they attempted to sign 2 players to near max deals? MD said he had an open checkbook this summer. Sterling was on board for whatever MD felt necessary to improve the team . But I'm going to break this down because I followed this more closely than you did.

Brand did an interview on ESPN after he signed with Philly. I forgot the woman's name who was interviewing him but she asked him a pinpointed question and it was...."When did Philly enter the picture?" Brand's response was "On July 1." July 1 is the first day FA can talk to teams so when did Brand get pissed off? The very first day? No one had given him a real offer except the Clips. It's called negotiating, every team deserves the right to negotiate, doesn't mean it has to be granted but obviously Brand allowed the Clips to do so but not on very equal terms. On July 1, Philly only had $11.5mil in cap space please pay attention to this point. Clips offer is currently better than anyone else's. On July 2, Clips agree verbally to sign Baron. Baron and Brand opted out of their contracts on June 30. How is it that a team who is so cheap gave 2 offers to FA in a span of 2 days? What is the likely hood they both opt out and BD agrees to come to the Clips, without Brand knowing or being on board? Not likely. Once BD commits to the Clips, the Warriors then swoop in and offer Brand $90mil on the same day, which was $20mil more than his initial negotiated deal with the Clips. Only because Baron ate up a lot of the cap space the Clips had available with the verbal agreement, while he came off the Warriors cap and the Warriors knew this.

So obviously Kos is ignoring the Clips offer to BD and I guess writing it off as them being cheap. Warriors went after Arenas first and gave him an offer of $100mil. The Warriors always had more money to offer than the Clips once BD came on board. It wasn't like the Warriors offered Brand $90mil first and then the Clips offered $70mil. So far in 2 days Clips have offered $135MIL total contract value to 2 players. Cheap? I think not. The Clippers let it be known they were going to renounce players to give Brand more money, this is when the second offer came of $75mil a couple days before the Philly offer. Now if Philly was in play on July 1, yet they only had $11.5ml in cap space, how is it Brand allowed Philly,(a team who never footed his bill from his previous salary in the league for several yrs and a franchise(Clippers) who were extremely interested in putting pieces around him) several days to clear cap to give him a richer deal(if we're going off of the GSW offer which we shouldn't be) letting them commence a trade with the Wolves by trading Carney and Booth to Minny for A 2nd round pick and cash? This trade didn't happen until July 8, which resulted in him signing for $79mil? $79mil is $11mil less than the Warrior offer. But IMO the Warrior offer is irrelevant, he never accepted it. He let 6 days go by refusing to accept the Warrior offer and allowed the Sixers to do all they could to sign him but wouldn't allow the Clips to do the same, after they agreed to get a deal done with BD?

LA Times is a Laker and Clipper paper

Here's Brand's interview with ESPN, listen if you really want to hear facts from each party involved, instead of a paper that may have an agenda behind the matter.

So many holes in this very interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bXG6Y9-nkw&feature=related

LOL!

He said he would take a paycut-Indictment

He said that's why he opted out to give the Clips a chance to sign a FA-Indictment

He said he was talking to Baron the whole time-Indictment

He said Philly entered the picture July 1rst which is the first day teams can begin negotiating-Indictment

He said things went awry with the Clips July 1rst-Indictment

He said he'd allowed Philly to do all they could to get him his money....(but not the Clips his own team?) after July 1rst-Indictment

He tried to negotiate a deal prior to July 1-Indictment

Reports said the deal with Philly was for $82mil but after the smoke cleared he signed for $79mil, check the numbers for yourself

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/sixers.jsp

Simply put from that interview it's clear Faulk was on a mission. So really the Clips had two offers out there before Philly gave theirs, one of $70mil and the other of $75mil.

Now listen to Dunleavy's interview and you tell me what really went down? Listen to it from start to finish, if you do you'd think a lot different about the whole situation and if they were being cheap.

Dunleavy Tells The Story

Really it's not about comparing the GSW's offer but if so it's $81mil to $90mil which would be $9mil difference not $20mil. It's for what he accepted from Philly $79mil to $81mil Clips last offer. If you want to use $82mil as a concrete accepted deal from Philly, then the difference is either $7mil($75mil Their offer before last ditch counter offer) or $1mil(Their last ditch offer) depending how you're looking at it.

I'm leaving out the fact they were prepared to give Smith an offer sheet after all of this.

Faulk and Brand are A-s-s-h-o-e-s!
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by TKF » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:43 am

TheBluest wrote:Elgin is about as half assed as it gets when it comes to GM's. Ask any Clip fan, I know you won't though. MD is really the brains behind their whole season.

Good grief TKF it wasn't $20mil and it wasn't $12mil. You have to go off of what he accepted vs what the Clips had room to offer, did offer. GSW had more cap space than the Clips after the Clips already shelled out cash to BD. Matter of fact Brand tried negotiate his deal in advanced and without his Agent's knowledge, which pissed off Faulk because he felt MD was the mastermind, going behind his back to broker a deal with his client. But really Faulk and Brand were waiting for Philly all along. They could have signed Brand to the contract GSW offered him but they wouldn't have been able to sign Baron, not in case BD takes an even greater paycut than he already did. You're calling a team cheap when they attempted to sign 2 players to near max deals? MD said he had an open checkbook this summer. Sterling was on board for whatever MD felt necessary to improve the team . But I'm going to break this down because I followed this more closely than you did.

Brand did an interview on ESPN after he signed with Philly. I forgot the woman's name who was interviewing him but she asked him a pinpointed question and it was...."When did Philly enter the picture?" Brand's response was "On July 1." July 1 is the first day FA can talk to teams so when did Brand get pissed off? The very first day? No one had given him a real offer except the Clips. It's called negotiating, every team deserves the right to negotiate, doesn't mean it has to be granted but obviously Brand allowed the Clips to do so but not on very equal terms. On July 1, Philly only had $11.5mil in cap space please pay attention to this point. Clips offer is currently better than anyone else's. On July 2, Clips agree verbally to sign Baron. Baron and Brand opted out of their contracts on June 30. How is it that a team who is so cheap gave 2 offers to FA in a span of 2 days? What is the likely hood they both opt out and BD agrees to come to the Clips, without Brand knowing or being on board? Not likely. Once BD commits to the Clips, the Warriors then swoop in and offer Brand $90mil on the same day, which was $20mil more than his initial negotiated deal with the Clips. Only because Baron ate up a lot of the cap space the Clips had available with the verbal agreement, while he came off the Warriors cap and the Warriors knew this.

So obviously Kos is ignoring the Clips offer to BD and I guess writing it off as them being cheap. Warriors went after Arenas first and gave him an offer of $100mil. The Warriors always had more money to offer than the Clips once BD came on board. It wasn't like the Warriors offered Brand $90mil first and then the Clips offered $70mil. So far in 2 days Clips have offered $135MIL total contract value to 2 players. Cheap? I think not. The Clippers let it be known they were going to renounce players to give Brand more money, this is when the second offer came of $75mil a couple days before the Philly offer. Now if Philly was in play on July 1, yet they only had $11.5ml in cap space, how is it Brand allowed Philly,(a team who never footed his bill from his previous salary in the league for several yrs and a franchise(Clippers) who were extremely interested in putting pieces around him) several days to clear cap to give him a richer deal(if we're going off of the GSW offer which we shouldn't be) letting them commence a trade with the Wolves by trading Carney and Booth to Minny for A 2nd round pick and cash? This trade didn't happen until July 8, which resulted in him signing for $79mil? $79mil is $11mil less than the Warrior offer. But IMO the Warrior offer is irrelevant, he never accepted it. He let 6 days go by refusing to accept the Warrior offer and allowed the Sixers to do all they could to sign him but wouldn't allow the Clips to do the same, after they agreed to get a deal done with BD?

LA Times is a Laker and Clipper paper

Here's Brand's interview with ESPN, listen if you really want to hear facts from each party involved, instead of a paper that may have an agenda behind the matter.

So many holes in this very interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bXG6Y9-nkw&feature=related

LOL!

He said he would take a paycut-Indictment

He said that's why he opted out to give the Clips a chance to sign a FA-Indictment

He said he was talking to Baron the whole time-Indictment

He said Philly entered the picture July 1rst which is the first day teams can begin negotiating-Indictment

He said things went awry with the Clips July 1rst-Indictment

He said he'd allowed Philly to do all they could to get him his money....(but not the Clips his own team?) after July 1rst-Indictment

He tried to negotiate a deal prior to July 1-Indictment

Reports said the deal with Philly was for $82mil but after the smoke cleared he signed for $79mil, check the numbers for yourself

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/sixers.jsp

Simply put from that interview it's clear Faulk was on a mission. So really the Clips had two offers out there before Philly gave theirs, one of $70mil and the other of $75mil.

Now listen to Dunleavy's interview and you tell me what really went down? Listen to it from start to finish, if you do you'd think a lot different about the whole situation and if they were being cheap.

Dunleavy Tells The Story

Really it's not about comparing the GSW's offer but if so it's $81mil to $90mil which would be $9mil difference not $20mil. It's for what he accepted from Philly $79mil to $81mil Clips last offer. If you want to use $82mil as a concrete accepted deal from Philly, then the difference is either $7mil($75mil Their offer before last ditch counter offer) or $1mil(Their last ditch offer) depending how you're looking at it.

I'm leaving out the fact they were prepared to give Smith an offer sheet after all of this.

Faulk and Brand are A-s-s-h-o-e-s!

The clipps initial offer was 70 mil. Brand said, they came at him as a take it or leave it offer, which is pretty much how the clips have always done business, why would brand take that, when it would be less per year than the 16 mil he opted out of? You say I have to go off of what the clipps had to offer? NO! I am going off what they offered. That initial offer seemed to piss brand off. Now I know there are a lot of stories from both sides, but I hear on ESPN radio brand say himself, that they gave him a take it or leave it deal and only came up on their offer when philly made more cap room and became more of a serious contender for his services and then came up even more when GS came into the picture... Now, who is telling the truth here? I think there is some truth to both sides, but going with history, we know how the clippers do business, and that goes for any fan of any team, the whole NBA and fans of the NBA know how the clippers operate... Anyway, I don't Like Faulk, but I think Brand is a pretty good guy. This doesn't seem like the same shady crap Boozer pulled on the cavs..... But lets be real, the clipps came in with a low ball offer and philly offered more from the jump.... I don't wish anything bad on brand, although the circumstances surrounding the deal are somewhat vague listening to both sides... Either way, the sixers got their man, and brand got his money. Good for him, heis a good guy, it will be interesting to see how things work. I hope it blows up, not because I dislike brand or what happened, here, but because philly is in our division... LOL..
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,056

Post#28 » by stuporman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:54 am

So the Clips kind of got 'Boozered'? .....they got 'Branded'....even more so...'Off Branded'... :o
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#29 » by TheBluest » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:04 am

You obviously didn't listen to the Youtube or Dunleavy link.

In the Youtube link is an interview of him on ESPN dude LOL! Come on. He said he'd take a pay cut. He negotiated his own deal. He opted out of $16.5mil and was offered before it was too late 5yrs/$75mil. TKF that's $15mil/yr. $15mil/yr isn't far off from what he opted out of. So what kind of paycut was he expecting..... $2dollars? a couple quaters? He knew the Clips were going to use some of their cap space on a big time FA. He asked them to, confirmed in the Youtube video, he clearly said it. So if he says $70mil we have accept what Dun said countering with $75mil and $81mil so really it gets down to what I'm suggesting in that Brand with the backing and encouragement of Faulk, were being pricks with the negotiating. Brand obviously didn't want to take a paycut or changed his mind, although he said this on ESPN, in the interview. Maybe if would have told them he didn't want a paycut and not told them to sign some FA, maybe the Clips first offer would have been better.
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#30 » by TheBluest » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:23 am

stuporman wrote:So the Clips kind of got 'Boozered'? .....they got 'Branded'....even more so...'Off Branded'... :o

I feel it's worse than Boozer. Here was my post on the matter several weeks back.

He's an ultimate Mfer seriously. Let me explain...

The Cavs tried to get Boozer to play on the cheap for a yr with a wink promise to take care of him when he hit the market Monta Ellis style, following yr. They wanted Booz to agree if they picked up his option on the 3rd yr to give him Bird's rights then they could Max him out the following season. Paxson and Gund tried to seriously talk him into a lowball proposal with a ton of risk on Boozer's end if he were to agree to such an illegal proposal. Like what if he got injured that season, maybe the Cavs look to sign him still but at what figures? What if he sucked statistically that yr? What if the Cavs decided not involve him, into their scheme as much as the previous yr to play for the worth of a new deal? I believe Boozer was only going to make around 600,000k that season if they would have picked up his option. The Cavs knew Boozer was a stud and that if he decided to test the waters by them not picking up his option, there was a major risk he'd walk and they didn't have enough cap space to beat a deal better than the MLE really. I mean why propose such a preposterous deal, which shouldn't have been presented in the first place? Well Booz agreed to this wack proposal initially according to rumors, but he probably didn't expect to be hit with a near Max offer for a player of his caliber at the time by Utah. Boozer always wanted financial security as soon as he could get it no different over what any other player in the league would want. Once his agent picked up on his clients interests around the league he told the Cavs to not pick up his option and he'd wanted to sign for 3yr deal near MLE money with them because he wanted financial security now. So the Cavs being the conniving idiots they were, obliged and let him become a FA. They got beat at their own game and they picked up on this. Booz then entertains offer from Utah. The Cavs had very minimal cap space at the time, I think it was like $6-7mil at the time to sign a Free Agent. They couldn't offer Booz anymore than this because he was only a 2yr player Early Veteran FA under CBA terminology. Booz went back to them and showed them Utah's offer. Now the Cavs had a couple choices at this point, they could have renounced 1 or 2 more players to get even lower/beneath the cap, which would have weakened their roster. So what! If they were willing to Max him out the following season why not pony up and sign him to a deal that wasn't quite Max from Utah? IMO they would have saved themselves money in the long run. Or they could have signed him to a 1 yr deal with their available cap space and hope he accepts and then do the wink deal the following yr. You could at least reason why Boozer wanted and did high tail it out of there. Sorry to this very day I don't feel sorry for what happened to the Cavs. They tried to steal Boozer's services so to speak by paying him his 600,000k slated salary which they knew was going to be well below his market value regardless of the TO, with a promise to take care of him the following yr. They could then use their available cap space to sign a FA(s). They tried to be greedy just like the athletes are. Sorry his situation IMO is not even remotely close to the Fukkery/Dickery Elton just pulled.

It was known well before now Elton would give the Sixers a legit shot to obtain his services. He did a radio interview on a New York station a week or two before the draft took place about his possible pending Free Agency. He mentioned Philly with strong interest. If he seriously thought Philly was going to a be a legit option why not tell the Clips what his intentions were, when he opts out to at least give the Clippers a chance to plan for all options? Why tell them you plan on opting out so they can improve the team by going after another possible big time FA in order to retain you? At least show some gratitude and tell the Clips S&T options would be welcomed if it came to it, where it helps both parties. So the Clips don't walk away without any compensation? If he would have informed them and been a true pro about the situation he could have allowed the Clips to swing a S&T deal with Philly. The Clips could have been the team to receive Carney and fodder/pick/cash whatever and that's all that would be necessary because both team are under the cap and salaries wouldn't have to match. But instead he opts out, let's the Clips pursue Baron immediately, then let's the Warriors set his market value, then B-lines to Philly allowing them to come very close to the market value, while giving time to Philly to get far enough under by working a S&T with Minny instead of going back to the Clips or even allowing them to work this angle from the very beginning. The Clippers I believe could have given Elton a 6yr deal in a S&T to Philly. Make no mistake about it, Elton for Carney and a 2009 first round conditional draft pick is not an equal trade on paper but compensation nonetheless.

Return to New York Knicks