ImageImageImageImageImage

Possible destinations for Marbury

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Possible destinations for Marbury 

Post#1 » by GuyverADL » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Walsh has been ultra quiet on Marbury's status all summer.

I hope he isnt planning on buying this fool out and having him go to a contender.

What are you guys thoughts on sending him to Atlanta for Bibby and Claxton.

This doesn't effect our cap because Claxton expires next year but Bibby will be more tradeable at the deadline than Marbury.

Atlanta rids itself of Claxton who is still injured I believe.

I just dont want to pay Marbury to do nothing next year.

Marbury and Collins
for
Bibby and Claxton

Pachulia/Morris
Smith/Horford
Williams
Johnson
Marbury/Law

A healthy Marbury playing for a new contract is an upgrade over Bibby.

We'd have a 4 guard rotation of Robinson, Crawford, Bibby, and Dudu.

Bibby would trade bait until the deadline.
Hardaway 10
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: Possible destinations for Marbury 

Post#2 » by Hardaway 10 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Walsh has commented on marbury this summer. He's said all reports he's gotten on marbury's training in Vegas have been positive and that he'd get a clean slate with the new regime. Barring a last minute buyout, from all indications, if Marbury comes to camp and plays well, he's likely the starter at PG and a heavy minute guy in the rotation.

Isola is really the only beat guy who keeps saying that Marbury is going to be bought out/waived/cut.

A team that Walsh should be calling is Golden State. There are rumblings they may void Ellis' new contract should he not recover well from this injury, which is a distinct possibility with this type of injury. The Tinsley rumors to GS could make Marbury's expiring contract in play there as an option, with the problem being whether GS has the contracts/cap space to send back other than Al harrington.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,556

Post#3 » by ctorres » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:47 pm

I don't think Atlanta is looking to trade Bibby. I'm pretty sure they like their backcourt of Bibby and Johnson.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#4 » by GuyverADL » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:49 pm

ctorres wrote:I don't think Atlanta is looking to trade Bibby. I'm pretty sure they like their backcourt of Bibby and Johnson.

Bibby choked worse than Odom in the playoffs. He cant be counted on to show up in big games. Getting rid of Claxton's salary next year might be enticing to them.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,914

Post#5 » by stuporman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:50 pm

Trade him to Bologna for a pack of bologna......
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#6 » by GuyverADL » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:00 pm

Hardaway 10 wrote:Walsh has commented on marbury this summer. He's said all reports he's gotten on marbury's training in Vegas have been positive and that he'd get a clean slate with the new regime. Barring a last minute buyout, from all indications, if Marbury comes to camp and plays well, he's likely the starter at PG and a heavy minute guy in the rotation.

Isola is really the only beat guy who keeps saying that Marbury is going to be bought out/waived/cut.

A team that Walsh should be calling is Golden State. There are rumblings they may void Ellis' new contract should he not recover well from this injury, which is a distinct possibility with this type of injury. The Tinsley rumors to GS could make Marbury's expiring contract in play there as an option, with the problem being whether GS has the contracts/cap space to send back other than Al harrington.

I forgot about golden state. That might be interesting? Problem is they are over the cap and they already have Marcus Williams to run the show in the Interim.

I'd love to try to pry away Belinelli from them. Maybe if Curry shows some effectiveness in D'antoni's system we could do Curry for Harrington and Belinelli. Wishful thinking though.
NewEra
RealGM
And1: 13,311

Post#7 » by NewEra » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:40 pm

Bibby and Claxton = GUARDS! MORE GUARDS! HELL TO THE NO!!!
BAF- 2020 Champs | 2021 2k Champs
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#8 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:42 pm

the best and only destination for marbury is right here.

He gets a clean slate and has the opportunity to earn a spot in D'Antoni's rotation. He earns it or he doesnt. He keeps it or he doesnt.

D'Antoni is not Isiah. Hes a smart coach and is not going to base his rotation on political considerations.

The first time Marbruy freelances or sews discord in the locker room he's out. No one in the press, no fans and no one in Walsh's administration have the slightest bit of patience for his antics.

If hes able to play and help the team then he will and thats good for us all

But no matter what this is his last year here and his $20mil in expiring contract is fantastic
Jstarks3
General Manager
And1: 740

Post#9 » by Jstarks3 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:44 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:the best and only destination for marbury is right here.

He gets a clean slate and has the opportunity to earn a spot in D'Antoni's rotation. He earns it or he doesnt. He keeps it or he doesnt.

D'Antoni is not Isiah. Hes a smart coach and is not going to base his rotation on political considerations.

The first time Marbruy freelances or sews discord in the locker room he's out. No one in the press, no fans and no one in Walsh's administration have the slightest bit of patience for his antics.

But no matter what this is his last year here and his $20mil in expiring contract is fantastic

:clap: :clap: :clap:
by IllmaticHandler

I just got off the Phone with NAS. He said if you listen closely to the intro he not saying **** Jayz. He knew one day a cat name Joey would play himself on realgm. Ether was meant to be used in the future. :o
NewEra
RealGM
And1: 13,311

Post#10 » by NewEra » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:02 pm

Jstarks3 wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said....I think your post should be used to answer every Marbury question pertaining to the Knicks and him being here for this up coming season and I think you are right. As long as Steph behaves he'll be here throughout the season
BAF- 2020 Champs | 2021 2k Champs
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,963

Post#11 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:03 pm

Why does he get a clean slate? This is the same guy that cause major problems not even a year ago.

Just buy him out or cut him. There's really no reason for him to be in NY anymore. He has fought with just about every coach here. He didnt even buy into D'Antoni's system a few years ago. Last season was the last straw as far as I'm concerned. How many more last chances can we give him?

If Bibby/Claxton is the best offer we can get then I would rather just buy him out and move on. That is the most important part. Just being able to move on without Marbury holding us back or causing problems.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#12 » by method » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:13 pm

It doesnt make sense to keep Marbury.

We keep him this year when we have our pick but not next year when we dont?

Marbury is good for an extra 10 wins...I think is fair to assume if Marbs was healthy last year we would have an extra ten wins.
DrSithMirth
Head Coach
And1: 11
Location: The Black Lodge. Raise up off me, lest you find yourself with us. Under the sycamore trees..

Post#13 » by DrSithMirth » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:17 pm

I hear you but I disagree. I need him gone. He's used up all his good will, and I think he will sink this team's performance in a major way if he stays here. It's a clean slate with the new management and coaches, but the players were there last year, and mark my words, Marbury will impede them. He simply is not trustworthy to do anything else.

And he doesn't fit the offense, as much as he claims he would. He only pushes the ball up the court when he sees a scoring opportunity for himself, and he only sees half the court (if that much); he won't distribute the ball to the open man unless it's a bailout pass. The clincher, as has been said many times, is his crappy attitude.

No, he's gotta go somehow. That said, this Atlanta trade is not a go. Better is that Golden State idea. I like it, actually. It makes me laugh that they have to depend on the likes of a Marcus Williams to run their team. He really, really stinks.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#14 » by GuyverADL » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:21 pm

Clean slate? this is the same team from last year. You think they forgot his antics from last year? Come on now. We know Marbury is going to start talking to the press and all his other foolishness once the season starts.

Every year its the same crap. Marbury talks a good game then does the same ol crap once the season starts.

Of course I'd like to keep him and Randolph. Problem is they are knuckle heads who refuse to change their ways.

So you are suggesting we let Towelbury stew on the bench all season causing problems. The guy wasn't invited to the D'Antoni conference and popped up with some dum ass suit o, :roll: he then shows up in Vegas with a tattoo on his head. I mean come on. I've seen enough.

Marbury needs a change of scenery plane and simple.

Marbury can go to Atlanta and play on a better team for a year and have a chance to prove that he can still contribute to a WINNING team.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#15 » by Jose7 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:46 pm

He wants his ashes spread around the garden.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#16 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:58 pm

Yeah man. we just gave him a clean slate when LB left. We even gave him a clean slate when he first came here. Dude has caused problems at every stop. He has long overstayed his welcome.
Mavs
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#17 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:04 pm

I understand all the emotional responses to the marbury situation but emotion is not the best tool to decide on things.

Lets assume the worst - marbruy plays selfish, moans and groans to the media and players, hogs the ball, doesnt run, is out of shape and is hurting the team. I personally find that very unlikely but again, lets assume the worst.

Does anyone really believe that D'Antoni will put up with it? That players will buy into any of it? That Walsh will allow discontent in the locker room or the media? That the first sign of problems wont lead to an immediate parting of ways?

Lets assume the best - Marbruy comes to camp motivated and inspired to play uptempo basketball. Works hard to free himself of his image in NY and in doing so place the blame somewhat off himself and onto Isiah. Hes excited about a proven system that asks him not to focus on defense but scoring and creating, his best abilities. He plays well and leads us to more wins, a first step in a turnaround of the culture of losing and does damage control on his legacy. He still expires and NY wont ask him back. he can go to europe or Miami or hell for all I care btu next year he wont be here and neither will his $20mil.

Lastly lets assume the middle ground and most likely scenario - Marbruy comes to the team motivated early and playing hard but as time goes on he grows more selfish and contentious. Players like Duhon and Q begin to feud with him. D'Antoni reduces his role. Marbuy complains.

what happens? Does the team fall apart? I doubt it. Id expect we either part ways with Marbruy at that point after doing the mature thing and giving him a chance or we trade him at or near the deadline to a team who want a $20mil expiring contract and are willing to take on Zach or Jeffries and send back some youth or picks in the process.

The simple matter is this. We are paying him $20 mil this year. Hes a very talented basketball player. We dont have a clear starter at point besides him. We have a total change of culture and leadership in the front office and on the sidelines.

Marbruy can help us on the court or he can help us in a trade. However simply cutting him now - before we even see what he can give us - gives us no options at all.

Its an emotional response and a very short-sighted one as well.

As far as trading for Bibby or other pie-in-the-sky ideas...its all vapor. I dont see anyone offering that trade and I dont see Atl making it. I dont expect anyone will touch Marbruy at this point until they see what kind of shape he's in physically and mentally. Everyone knows we want to move him, no one will offer us a good package at this point in the season.

Marbury's situation requires patience and maturity not emotion and expedience.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#18 » by chitownsports4ever » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:05 pm

I think Walsh is just gaining some leverage for when buyout talks begin.How long does anyone think Marbury will last in a contract year backing up Duhon ? If nothing else he will do everything possible to insure that there is no drama so I dont think they will wait for something to happen but instead will clear the way for the entire focus to be on the team instead of how Marbury reacts to not starting ,How Marbury responds to not playing in the 4th etc . Once he realizes they are serious about Duhon and I think they will establish that early in the preseason then Marbury will pay to leave .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#19 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:31 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:I understand all the emotional responses to the marbury situation but emotion is not the best tool to decide on things.

Lets assume the worst - marbruy plays selfish, moans and groans to the media and players, hogs the ball, doesnt run, is out of shape and is hurting the team. I personally find that very unlikely but again, lets assume the worst.

Does anyone really believe that D'Antoni will put up with it? That players will buy into any of it? That Walsh will allow discontent in the locker room or the media? That the first sign of problems wont lead to an immediate parting of ways?

Lets assume the best - Marbruy comes to camp motivated and inspired to play uptempo basketball. Works hard to free himself of his image in NY and in doing so place the blame somewhat off himself and onto Isiah. Hes excited about a proven system that asks him not to focus on defense but scoring and creating, his best abilities. He plays well and leads us to more wins, a first step in a turnaround of the culture of losing and does damage control on his legacy. He still expires and NY wont ask him back. he can go to europe or Miami or hell for all I care btu next year he wont be here and neither will his $20mil.

Lastly lets assume the middle ground and most likely scenario - Marbruy comes to the team motivated early and playing hard but as time goes on he grows more selfish and contentious. Players like Duhon and Q begin to feud with him. D'Antoni reduces his role. Marbuy complains.

what happens? Does the team fall apart? I doubt it. Id expect we either part ways with Marbruy at that point after doing the mature thing and giving him a chance or we trade him at or near the deadline to a team who want a $20mil expiring contract and are willing to take on Zach or Jeffries and send back some youth or picks in the process.

The simple matter is this. We are paying him $20 mil this year. Hes a very talented basketball player. We dont have a clear starter at point besides him. We have a total change of culture and leadership in the front office and on the sidelines.

Marbruy can help us on the court or he can help us in a trade. However simply cutting him now - before we even see what he can give us - gives us no options at all.

As far as trading for Bibby or other pie-in-the-sky ideas...its all vapor. I dont see anyone offering that trade and I dont see Atl making it. I dont expect anyone will touch Marbruy at this point until they see what kind of shape he's in physically and mentally. Everyone knows we want to move him, no one will offer us a good package at this point in the season.

Dude, the worst case scenario Marbury you described was here less then a year ago. We havent seen the best case scenario Marbury in 3 or 4 years. Its not an emotional response, just fact that Marbury has hurt this team more then he has helped it in recent years. His ego is just too big to take a back seat to someone like Duhon or anyone else including coaches.

Our most important goal this year should be to start to implement D’Antoni’s system, get the players to really buy into it, develop our young players and build some chemistry. Marbury will most likely hurt all those goals. And we know Marbs is gone no matter what next year. So might as well start to build chemistry now rather then try to get a few extra wins.

As for trading him, his contract is just too large. Nobody is taking on Marbury and Zach or Jeffries and giving up anything decent. That is crazy. I doubt anyone is giving up anything decent for him.

I don’t even see what the positives are in the best case scenario. So we win 35 games instead of 30 or whatever. You cant build on that automatically. The only way to build on that is actually going out and improving the roster. Keeping Marbury actually hurts that because we just lose ping pong balls.

I see what your saying about creating a winning culture, but we cant start to do that unless we get rid of some of these guys. Everyone talks about creating a winning culuture like if we keep repeating it, then it will happen. But we can’t create a winning culture until we rebuild some of the roster. Getting rid of Marbury is a big step in that. Else why havent we created a winning culture before? You can't blame everything on all the coaches we have had.
Mavs
DrSithMirth
Head Coach
And1: 11
Location: The Black Lodge. Raise up off me, lest you find yourself with us. Under the sycamore trees..

Post#20 » by DrSithMirth » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:35 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:I understand all the emotional responses to the marbury situation but emotion is not the best tool to decide on things.

C'mon, man! You've got to be kidding me!

Are you high, with that best case scenario? And with your worst case scenario, the damage is done. With your middle ground scenario, the damage is done. The kind of damage Marbury would have done in that case could cost the Knicks a shot at the playoffs. Yeah, that could cause a fall-apart situation. That's what happened last season.

The Knicks will not have a *total* change if culture until the primary "spotlight" person that caused that bad culture is gone. Marbury will be at the center of that spotlight until he's gone. Until then, the damage will continue to be done. Any variety of help he does on the court will be offset by damage he does elsewhere (lockerroom, on the court at a different spot). I'm not being emotional about that, I'm considering his record throughout every season in his career (Mpls, NJ, Phoenix, NY) and saying it would be no different.

If you *know* that Marbury will do damage, because he always does, then there simply is no need to wait for him to do it again before you act. You act before he does his damage because you know that if you don't act, he will do his damage, and then you'll have to try to act quickly and you may not have the means (trade-wise) to do so. So you're stuck letting the damage from Marbury fester, and you're losing games because of it. On top of that, you've allowed your new regime (front office and coach) to get off to a bad start, thus running the risk that you lose your players for the season, because they've seen this all before.

Chris Duhon's the clear starter. He's not as talented as Marbury but he maximizes what he has. He'll take care of the ball, distribute it, and hit his open shots, and he won't screw up the team. As far as I'm concerned, starting with that and building from there is more important than hanging on to the biggest source of trouble (cancer) in recent Knicks history because he's got talent.

This isn't an emotional response at all. This is looking at Marbury's history and noting that the bad has far far far outweighed any good that he can bring to the table.

Now, I don't care about any trade ideas; I don't expect anyone (anyone with sense, anyway) to want Marbury around their players. What I care about is a clean slate for the Knicks and keeping Marbury around is not starting with a clean slate. I literally do not care at all where he goes. Celtics, sure. Miami, whatever. Lakers, have at it. I want him the hell off this team before he gets to do or say anything stupid on the court, in the lockerroom, in the press, out in the city, whatever, because every person on this board and associated with the NBA knows he will.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth

Return to New York Knicks