ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Bulls to lose Gordon for nothing

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

OT: Bulls to lose Gordon for nothing 

Post#1 » by GuyverADL » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:52 pm

It looks as though Ben Gordon will be a Bull in 2008-2009 after all.

Gordon confirmed in a text message to the Chicago Tribune's K.C. Johnson that he will be in training camp, and he is expected to sign a one year qualifying offer worth $6.4 million by Wednesday's deadline and become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

For the second straight summer Gordon and the Chicago Bulls have been unable to come to an agreement on a long term contract for the team's leading scorer and sixth man.

Former Bull Mike Ruffin is also expected to be in camp for Chicago on a non-guaranteed contract, according to the report.

Well it looks like Gordon is giving the Bulls the middle finger. This sucks for the Bulls because their are a few teams with cap space that can use him.

I guess he will be joining Wade next summer. :lol: I think he didnt want to play in Chicago any onger coming off the bench. He'll likely get the same deal the Bulls offered this year from Miami.

B Gordon, Wade, Beasey. Not bad.
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Re: OT: Bulls to lose Gordon for nothing 

Post#2 » by NYKBaller » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:30 pm

Gordon was asking for Deng money, dude is my height as a shooting guard. I wouldnt have paid the guy either. SGs are a dime a dozen now they can bench him all year and lower his value cause they got hughes.
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#3 » by sonny » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:37 pm

optimusADL wrote:

Gordon confirmed in a text message to the Chicago Tribune's K.C. Johnson that he will be in training camp, and he is expected to sign a one year qualifying offer worth $6.4 million by Wednesday's deadline and become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

For the second straight summer Gordon and the Chicago Bulls have been unable to come to an agreement on a long term contract for the team's leading scorer and sixth man.

Former Bull Mike Ruffin is also expected to be in camp for Chicago on a non-guaranteed contract, according to the report.

Well it looks like Gordon is giving the Bulls the middle finger. This sucks for the Bulls because their are a few teams with cap space that can use him.

I guess he will be joining Wade next summer. :lol: I think he didnt want to play in Chicago any onger coming off the bench. He'll likely get the same deal the Bulls offered this year from Miami.

Not sure how that works.

Bulls were offering him 6/59, more than any other team in the league were willing to give him.

There were reports that Miami was interested in signing him, and we were supposedly discussing a deal that would've given us Marion, but those talks stopped when Miami found out his demands.

This isn't a "I'm asking for an outrageous amount from the Bulls only because I don't want to be here." It's a "I'm asking for an outrageous amount from the Bulls and the 29 other teams in the league because that's what I think I'm worth."

Every team in the league can have max cap room next summer, but unless Ben budges on his ridiculous demands, no one's going to sign him. He's not f'n anybody over except himself, when he ends up taking a lower deal that the one we offered.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,248

Post#4 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:37 pm

NYKBaller wrote:Gordon was asking for Deng money, dude is my height as a shooting guard. I wouldnt have paid the guy either. SGs are a dime a dozen now they can bench him all year and lower his value cause they got hughes.

QFT.

I seem to recall that the bulls made a very fair offer. Time will tell if Gordon falls into the Joe Smith (80 million isn't enough - lets hold out) category.
Go NY Go NY Go
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#5 » by seren » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:46 pm

No way he will get a better offer than what was given to him. Add the fact that he will probably get less minutes with a crowded backcourt. He will probably end up settling with 5/50 at most next year.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#6 » by GuyverADL » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:46 pm

sonny wrote:
optimusADL wrote:

Not sure how that works.

Bulls were offering him 6/59, more than any other team in the league were willing to give him.

There were reports that Miami was interested in signing him, and we were supposedly discussing a deal that would've given us Marion, but those talks stopped when Miami found out his demands.

This isn't a "I'm asking for an outrageous amount from the Bulls only because I don't want to be here." It's a "I'm asking for an outrageous amount from the Bulls and the 29 other teams in the league because that's what I think I'm worth."

Every team in the league can have max cap room next summer, but unless Ben budges on his ridiculous demands, no one's going to sign him. He's not f'n anybody over except himself, when he ends up taking a lower deal that the one we offered.

I dont think its just about the money. You think Gordon wants to come off the bench forever?

Miami and other teams would sign him to the same deal as Chicago offered but one year less. If he signed an offer sheet though Chicago would match. Therefore he wants Chicago to pay a premium for him to stay.

If he goes to Miami and mkakes a little less but gets more exposure I think he would like that.
sonny
RealGM

Post#7 » by sonny » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:52 pm

optimusADL wrote:
sonny wrote:
optimusADL wrote:

Not sure how that works.

I dont think its just about the money. You think Gordon wants to come off the bench forever?

Miami and other teams would sign him to the same deal as Chicago offered but one year less. If he signed an offer sheet though Chicago would match. Therefore he wants Chicago to pay a premium for him to stay.

If he goes to Miami and mkakes a little less but gets more exposure I think he would like that.

No he wouldn't.

That could've happened this summer. If he wanted to go to Miami that would've happened. He didn't budge from his ridiculous demands so no one could really get serious with him.

Ben has stated at least once that he would go to the team that paid him the most.

He would've started next to Wade and Beasley and gotten open looks all game, but he turned it down because he's demanding an amount that no one is willing to pay him.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#8 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Reports were that Bulls & Heat did agree on a trade involving sign & trade Gordon for Marion. However, Gordon was demanding the same thing from Heat that he was demanding from the Bulls - appox $12-13 million a year.

Heat then walked away from the deal.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#9 » by TKF » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:08 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
NYKBaller wrote:Gordon was asking for Deng money, dude is my height as a shooting guard. I wouldnt have paid the guy either. SGs are a dime a dozen now they can bench him all year and lower his value cause they got hughes.

QFT.

I seem to recall that the bulls made a very fair offer. Time will tell if Gordon falls into the Joe Smith (80 million isn't enough - lets hold out) category.

yea, I agree, bulls gave a more than fair offer. It will be interesting to see what offers he gets next year. I think he will be dissapointed... And if he signs elsewhere for similar to what the bulls offered him, then I say that he was being greedy and foolish....
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by TKF » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:09 pm

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:Reports were that Bulls & Heat did agree on a trade involving sign & trade Gordon for Marion. However, Gordon was demanding the same thing from Heat that he was demanding from the Bulls - appox $12-13 million a year.

exactly and if this rumor or report is true, then gordon should take this as a sign.. NO team is interested in him at that ridiculous amount!!!!!!!!! this is one dissolusioned and stubborn cat..
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#11 » by GuyverADL » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:21 pm

TKF wrote:
Tommy Udo 6 wrote:Reports were that Bulls & Heat did agree on a trade involving sign & trade Gordon for Marion. However, Gordon was demanding the same thing from Heat that he was demanding from the Bulls - appox $12-13 million a year.

exactly and if this rumor or report is true, then gordon should take this as a sign.. NO team is interested in him at that ridiculous amount!!!!!!!!! this is one dissolusioned and stubborn cat..

Marion makes 17 million. Chicago always tries to get the better end of the deal. Riley probably walked away. Why give up Marion and just get back Gordon

I think some team HAS to have shown interest if he is willing to sign the QO. Alot of team dont like signing restricted free agents. Look how long it took Josh Smith to sign a deal.

I think Josh Smith could have gotten more money if he had become a free agent.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Post#12 » by duetta » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:31 pm

His best chance to get the money he's seeking is for Isiah Thomas to get another GM job. Still, I'd rather pay Gordon than Crawford (assuming Jamal opts out, and seeks a big deal).
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by TKF » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:33 pm

optimusADL wrote:
TKF wrote:

Marion makes 17 million. Chicago always tries to get the better end of the deal. Riley probably walked away. Why give up Marion and just get back Gordon

I think some team HAS to have shown interest if he is willing to sign the QO. Alot of team dont like signing restricted free agents. Look how long it took Josh Smith to sign a deal.

I think Josh Smith could have gotten more money if he had become a free agent.

yes and no. If there was a team with cap room, that really wanted smith, they could have really forced the hawks hands by offering some huge deal. If you know atlanta doesn't want to go over a certain amount, and I think most teams knew what atlanta wanted to pay, then why not go above and beyond that? I mean it is not like smith was going to take less money when he becomes an UFA.

Honestly, I don't think any team wants to pay gordon what he wants. Not close..
sonny
RealGM

Post#14 » by sonny » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:40 pm

TKF wrote: Honestly, I don't think any team wants to pay gordon what he wants. Not close..

There were reports that no team was offering anything close to the 6/59 we were.

On the Bulls board I said the only way he gets something close to that 70M+ is if he grows 5 inches or learns how to play point.

He's not growing and we're not wasting time playing him at the point with Rose there. Even if he gets more minutes and puts up 25 a game, that really doesn't do anything.

Teams know he can score, he's been able to do so since he's come in the league, yet his flaws make it hard for any team to throw that much money at him.

He's not the ideal height for the 2 spot, but he doesn't have the ball handling or passing skills to play the point. That means you need either a 2 that can handle the point, or a point that's big enough to guard 2s, we had that with Kirk.

There's not many teams that have one of those. A team like Portland who would've been a great fit for him, already filled up their undersized 2 yet can't play 1 quota when they drafted Bayless.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#15 » by GuyverADL » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:44 pm

TKF wrote:yes and no. If there was a team with cap room, that really wanted smith, they could have really forced the hawks hands by offering some huge deal. If you know atlanta doesn't want to go over a certain amount, and I think most teams knew what atlanta wanted to pay, then why not go above and beyond that? I mean it is not like smith was going to take less money when he becomes an UFA.

Honestly, I don't think any team wants to pay gordon what he wants. Not close..

Look at it from his point of view. If he's going to take less money he wants to chose where he is going to play. Teams are not going to want to give up assets to placate the Bulls into trading him.

Now Gordon has all the leverage by signing the QO. He cant be traded unles he wants too plus he can resign if he decides to stay with Chicago.
sonny
RealGM

Post#16 » by sonny » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:49 pm

But Gordon has shown that he is not going to take less money.

You state that Miami would be a great fit for him in the first post, he screwed up a deal that would've sent him there because he wouldn't lower his demands.

And WHEN he takes less next year, it won't be because it was his decision, it would be because he has no other choice.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,265

Post#17 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:05 pm

Thanks God Isiah is no longer our GM. He prolly would have maxed Gordon out and threw in a couple of future picks.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#18 » by GuyverADL » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:06 pm

sonny wrote:But Gordon has shown that he is not going to take less money.

You state that Miami would be a great fit for him in the first post, he screwed up a deal that would've sent him there because he wouldn't lower his demands.

And WHEN he takes less next year, it won't be because it was his decision, it would be because he has no other choice.

We dont know why the deal got axed. Reports had Noah going to Miami as well. Marion is an Allstar. Gordon is not. Riley isn't going to just give Marion away.

Paxson likes to use strong arm tactics. Riley probably said screw that. Why give up Marion now when you can wait and see if a better offer materializes.
sonny
RealGM

Post#19 » by sonny » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:14 pm

Reports from both inside sources and the media had Gordon's demands stopping any deals.

The inside source said that a few scenarios had been agreed upon but Miami didnt' want to give Gordon the contract he was looking for.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,049

Post#20 » by GONYK » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:17 pm

Gordon needs a reality check. In today's NBA game, there is nothing that makes him remarkable, and certainly even less that makes him a MAX player. There are better and taller guards coming out of college every year.

Return to New York Knicks