ImageImageImageImageImage

The players control their Destiny - Hahn

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

The players control their Destiny - Hahn 

Post#1 » by Jose7 » Wed Oct 1, 2008 3:40 pm

The players control their destiny

A lot of positive-vibe stories today from your usually dour mob of beat writers. Maybe it's something in the Saratoga spring water, but could even the media be buying into this atmosphere of change for the better?

I think here -- yes, even after just one day of camp -- is a critical moment for the Knicks to do whatever they can as a team, as a franchise, to keep the vibe going. Even through the lowpoints, when we're all going to expect this group to collapse like the economy (also built on some bad contracts), this team has to for once keep a stiff upper lip.

To show the rest of the league they are no longer a punchline. Or a punching bag.

"For me, the only thing that affects me is to lose and the way we lose, the teams we lose to and the way teams play us, you know what I’m saying, their demeanor and the way they look at us, I don’t like that because I’m not a loser and I know that," Quentin Richardson said. "For me, I don’t like to see the team morale the way it’s been. Just the way we played, the way we lost, I know when I looked around the locker room I look at the individuals and I know we are better than we put out there. That’s the only thing that affects me and got me down over the last few years.”

So I asked him, in order to avoid the tailspins of the past and deal with the residual issues in the present (see: Stephon), shouldn't the players start taking it upon themselves to eliminate the problems in the locker room. In hockey, we call it "self-policing" and "holding your teammates accountable." It's a major element that separates a strong locker room from a weak one. And it can change a perennial loser into a winning team without a single adjustment in the talent level.

"I think so, I think we definitely will," Quentin said. "I think if we have any situations like that, I’m in a place where I know I will say something. I will try and right whatever wrong’s been done. We have a couple of guys. Malik [Rose] will speak up. He’s a presence in the locker room that everybody respects and listens to because he’s a champion whose been there and knows things. I think we’ve got a couple of guys who will speak up and say different things if anything would arise."

We have no reason to believe them right now after one day of camp. But it's certainly a peripheral issue to closely monitor as the days go deeper into winter.

Even D'Antoni admits it's easy right now to say all the right things. There will be stormy weather ahead; there is in every season.

“I’m excited, you can tell; I’ve got adrenaline going," he said. "But check back in at the start of November. There’ll be some tough days.”

* - The new regime opened camp with a video session that showed a motivational highlight film of great Knick moments of the past and how the city was in love with the team. My guess is that Isiah Thomas ("You haven't been proud in 30 years") didn't narrate the film.

* - Tuesday night's session was highlighted by a controlled five-on-five scrimmage in which 8 seconds were put on the shot clock and each team had to find an open shot in that time. When a basket was scored, play was stopped and another 8 was put on the board. A miss or a shot violation went the other way.

Not reading into it too much, but one group was made up of Duhon-Crawford-Richardson-Lee-Jeffries. The other was Robinson-Marbury-Chandler-Randolph-James.

* - Allan Houston took himself out of the scrimmage portion of the night session to ride the stationary bike. He said it was just because his right thigh was getting tight. Houston has the green light to rest as he deems it necessary.

* - Yes, Stephon Marbury has looked good. But Mike D'Antoni maintained a non-committal stance when asked about him yesterday. Key quote, which should serve as a personal message to Stephon: “If you can play and you’re a good guy, a coach will find where you need to play.”

* - Here's what we know about Danilo Gallinari's back: it was a bulging disc, which irritated nerves around the area and caused that shooting pain Gallo mentioned. The disc has since receded and he is feeling better, but it is a situation where you have to allow the inflamed area to recover and the back to be strengthened. The Knicks expect him to be ready to go soon, but the bigger concern isn't about his back but his conditioning. Gallinari has not been allowed to run for a few months now. But I can tell you this from watching some of the drills on the side of the court after practice: this kid can shoot it.

* - Eddy Curry's illness is a bacterial virus, as you might have read in the stories today. He is said to be feeling better and probably will not practice today, but could be back by Thursday to finish the week. It doesn't help that he's fallen behind already in conditioning -- not that he was anywhere close to where they wanted him to be when he arrived last week -- but as usual D'Antoni was Mr. Brightside. "I heard he was throwing up and everything," D'Antoni said, "and that’s a great way to lose weight."
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Re: The players control their Destiny - Hahn 

Post#2 » by TKF » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:07 pm

good to hear that gallo's back is better and the big worry now is just conditioning..

I also love the fact that marbury and everyone for that matter is shown no special treatment. You are now just one of the guys, earning time!
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#3 » by GuyverADL » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:11 pm

TKF wrote:good to hear that gallo's back is better and the big worry now is just conditioning..

I also love the fact that marbury and everyone for that matter is shown no special treatment. You are now just one of the guys, earning time!

Im more concerned with the fact that a tiny bump from tractor caused a bulging disc in the first play. Delicato at PF is not happening for 3-4 yrs if ever. :x I thought he was the Italian stallion.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#4 » by blueNorange » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:15 pm

optimusADL wrote:
TKF wrote:good to hear that gallo's back is better and the big worry now is just conditioning..

Im more concerned with the fact that a tiny bump from tractor caused a bulging disc in the first play. Delicato at PF is not happening for 3-4 yrs if ever. :x I thought he was the Italian stallion.

actually if you look he took a pretty hard fall on his tailbone and i'm wondering if the knick doctors could take a chance and look somewhere else other than the back.

but hey, it wasn't like he was gonna get major minutes this year behind z-ro, lee, and effries. and i'm sure 'antoni is a smart guy(unlike popcorn popper) and actually uses the nbdl to keep the young players who don't play fresh and a chance to work on their game.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#5 » by Rasho Brezec » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:38 pm

blueNorange wrote:
optimusADL wrote:

actually if you look he took a pretty hard fall on his tailbone and i'm wondering if the knick doctors could take a chance and look somewhere else other than the back.

but hey, it wasn't like he was gonna get major minutes this year behind z-ro, lee, and effries. and i'm sure 'antoni is a smart guy(unlike popcorn popper) and actually uses the nbdl to keep the young players who don't play fresh and a chance to work on their game.

True to some extent. Strawberry and Tucker did play in D-League a lot past season, but a lot of Suns fans were complaining about him not developing young players enough. I'm a bit worried about progress of Chandler or Gallinari with his 8,9-man rotations. If they run into sophomore/rookie wall, they'd quickly start getting garbage minutes.
Jstarks3
General Manager
And1: 740

Post#6 » by Jstarks3 » Wed Oct 1, 2008 8:23 pm

"* - The new regime opened camp with a video session that showed a motivational highlight film of great Knick moments of the past and how the city was in love with the team. My guess is that Isiah Thomas ("You haven't been proud in 30 years") didn't narrate the film.

* - Tuesday night's session was highlighted by a controlled five-on-five scrimmage in which 8 seconds were put on the shot clock and each team had to find an open shot in that time. When a basket was scored, play was stopped and another 8 was put on the board. A miss or a shot violation went the other way.

Not reading into it too much, but one group was made up of Duhon-Crawford-Richardson-Lee-Jeffries. The other was Robinson-Marbury-Chandler-Randolph-James.

i think this was the most interesting part of the article. interesting lineups. interesting drill. and a motivational video?!
by IllmaticHandler

I just got off the Phone with NAS. He said if you listen closely to the intro he not saying **** Jayz. He knew one day a cat name Joey would play himself on realgm. Ether was meant to be used in the future. :o
Moochie25
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Post#7 » by Moochie25 » Wed Oct 1, 2008 8:36 pm

blueNorange wrote:actually if you look he took a pretty hard fall on his tailbone and i'm wondering if the knick doctors could take a chance and look somewhere else other than the back.

that, and who knows, maybe the fall was a fluke -- a 'once in a blue moon' type deal, and unfortunately, that one time happened the first game he played in the US

we know he isn't "delicato" or whatever nickname optimaldusa is using these days considering he's been playing in those euro pro leagues for awhile now
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#8 » by cmaff051 » Wed Oct 1, 2008 8:46 pm

The players control their destiny?

Look forward to them riding Destiny straight into the ditch.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#9 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed Oct 1, 2008 8:56 pm

Jstarks3 wrote:"* - The new regime opened camp with a video session that showed a motivational highlight film of great Knick moments of the past and how the city was in love with the team. My guess is that Isiah Thomas ("You haven't been proud in 30 years") didn't narrate the film.

i think this was the most interesting part of the article. interesting lineups. interesting drill. and a motivational video?!

If you read '7 Seconds or Less' you'll find that this is a D'Antoni trademark. That book is a great, easy read. It's probably available at your local library. Or, in your local used books store. Really, all of you diehards should take a look at it.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#10 » by StutterStep » Thu Oct 2, 2008 12:34 am

OK, but who won? Isn't Hahn allowed to tell, or is it that Steph/Zach's squad dominated?

I say this because later in the article he goes on to specify that Steph has looked good (in his game). I wonder how Duhon reacts if he's the 2nd guard off the bench behind Nate? :lol:

Return to New York Knicks