ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Obama picking up homeless voters in OH

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Kyrama
RealGM
And1: 649

Re: OT: Obama picking up homeless voters in OH 

Post#21 » by Kyrama » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:19 pm

Red Vines wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Red Vines wrote:
If you don't see a problem with the Obama campaign picking people literally off the street and taking them to the YMCA or homeless shelter to vote for Obama... we'll just have to disagree on this one.

That is a cop-out answer. I understand that you may feel that it is cheap in a way to grab people off of the street to vote, but are these people not entitled to a vote by way of being an American citizen? Just because they are homeless, and the McCain crowd doesn't want them in their car, does that mean that they shouldn't be at least given the opportunity?

They have the right to vote, but this is purely predatory: Hey, I'll take you anywhere you want! Come with me! Trading assistance for a cheap vote is simply wrong.

The Democrats should be more like the Republicans and just purge opponent voters instead.

http://www.brennancenter.org/content/re ... ter_purges

It's also worth noting the GOP wouldn't do this unless the people they were picking up had their checkbooks out.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#22 » by Ignitowsky » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:26 pm

Red Vines wrote:
GONYK wrote:I'm not entirely sure why you think this is a bad thing? Care to elaborate for me?

If you don't see a problem with the Obama campaign picking people literally off the street and taking them to the YMCA or homeless shelter to vote for Obama... we'll just have to disagree on this one.

I just don't want to hear anything about the importance of "voting on the issues" ever again from some of you guys...

I question the authenticity of hte original story.

With every new post you prove your subjectivity and bias.

It's wrong to register American citizens to vote in a presidential election? Is it wrong because they're homeless? Because they're poor? Because they can't write checks to McCain's campaign?

Unless it can be proven that the Obama campaign is illegally registering people, you and all your cohorts need to STFU. Every American has the right to vote if they haven't lost the privilege for some reason. One of those reasons ISN'T being poor, or a minority, or homeless.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,219

Post#23 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:29 pm

Isnt that the purpose of campaigning? To pick up votes? I dont see that any worse then attack ads, "bending" the truth during rallies or using tactics such as Obama=Muslim, swift boat, flip flopper, vote for the soccer mom from a small town or any of the other pointless stuff. And every candidate does those things. I'm sure McCain would be all over the homeless vote if he could or thought of it first.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Papa Midnite
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#24 » by Papa Midnite » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:31 pm

Ignitowsky wrote:Unless it can be proven that the Obama campaign is illegally registering people, you and all your cohorts need to STFU. Every American has the right to vote if they haven't lost the privilege for some reason. One of those reasons ISN'T being poor, or a minority, or homeless.
Nupes: Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlain, Sam Jones, Elgin Baylor, Alex English, H20, Rolando Blackman, Danny Manning, Darrell Walker (ex-Knick), Penny, Bernie Bickerstaff, Bob Johnson (Bobcats), John Chaney, Kerry Kittles, Johnny Newman
eviL
Lead Assistant
And1: 12

Post#25 » by eviL » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:39 pm

Dang Vines, you just got owned.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,039

Post#26 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:43 pm

I can't help but laugh whenever Republicans call foul. Especially ones with rose-colored glasses for everything their pony does.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#27 » by cmaff051 » Wed Oct 1, 2008 8:25 pm

Under law, are these voters unable to vote?

If not, what is the problem?
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#28 » by yungal07 » Wed Oct 1, 2008 8:46 pm

Karl Rove is mad he didn't think of it first...
rrosario35
Sixth Man
And1: 92

Post#29 » by rrosario35 » Wed Oct 1, 2008 8:47 pm

You never know why a person is homeless... perhaps this person owned a house someday, lost his house due to foreclosure and is now homeless... You may run into one situation like that out of 50 people... possibly,...

I was walking home one day from work...I saw a family outside
a man, his wife & 3 children... They had a few suitcases, bags and other stuff... The guy lost his job, his apartment and they all didnt fit in his car with all their belongings... so he was... HOMELESS so were his wife & 3 children.

But if a person lives in this country, is a citizen and is/can registered to vote... then go vote.. I mean there are people who own houses & dont vote...

I can't wait till friday... It's going to be fun to see what people have to say about Biden & Palin...
OoAnd1
Head Coach
And1: 14

Post#30 » by OoAnd1 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:00 am

cmaff051 wrote:Under law, are these voters unable to vote?

If they are only helping the homeless people that will vote for Obama, then it is a problem. I suppose that is the concern. But if they help ALL homeless people, then it's all good.

Frankly, I didn't read any proof that the organizers were only helping the pro-Obama homeless. So, this whole argument is moot and anyone complaining about the organizers should STFU until they find some evidence of wrong-doing. It's a noble act to help homeless people vote, so they should be applauded. You'd have to be an ass to help someone only if it benefited you, your candidate or your cause.

Then again, last time I said we needed proof that the GOP were doing something wrong I was called naive. But since the allegations are against the Dems this time.... never mind, I love this bias forum.
IsiahThomasJr
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#31 » by IsiahThomasJr » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:07 am

"do his thug thizzle..."

LOL.
"It's so crazy it just might work." - Isiah Thomas
CrazyEyes
RealGM
And1: 1

Post#32 » by CrazyEyes » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:23 am

This happens on both sides. Nothing wrong with it at all. Last time I checked every citizen has the right to vote.

Here's how the Republicans do it. They get old people: retirement homes, churches, even hospitals. They wheel them out to vote. Some of these people are completely out of it. No clue what's going on. They probably think they're voting for FDR's 5th term.

That's just how democracy works. And it's nothing new.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#33 » by Ignitowsky » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:33 am

OoAnd1 wrote:

If they are only helping the homeless people that will vote for Obama, then it is a problem. I suppose that is the concern. But if they help ALL homeless people, then it's all good.

Frankly, I didn't read any proof that the organizers were only helping the pro-Obama homeless. So, this whole argument is moot and anyone complaining about the organizers should STFU until they find some evidence of wrong-doing. It's a noble act to help homeless people vote, so they should be applauded. You'd have to be an ass to help someone only if it benefited you, your candidate or your cause.

Then again, last time I said we needed proof that the GOP were doing something wrong I was called naive. But since the allegations are against the Dems this time.... never mind, I love this bias forum.

If McCain people are spending McCain money to get people registered I would think they were total morons if they didn't register ONLY pro-McCain people.

The same is true in this case. Assuming it's true, the guy wasn't paid money to register, he was offerred help in getting registered, period. As I said in my other post, unless laws are being broken to get people registered people need to STFU about this.

As a footnote, why in God's name would ANY homless person want to vote for ANYONE remotely associated with the present administration?? Is it something like "McCain has 9 houses I have no houses, maybe he'll let me live in one?"
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
OoAnd1
Head Coach
And1: 14

Post#34 » by OoAnd1 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 7:07 am

Ignitowsky wrote:
OoAnd1 wrote:

If McCain people are spending McCain money to get people registered I would think they were total morons if they didn't register ONLY pro-McCain people.

The same is true in this case. Assuming it's true, the guy wasn't paid money to register, he was offerred help in getting registered, period. As I said in my other post, unless laws are being broken to get people registered people need to STFU about this.

As a footnote, why in God's name would ANY homless person want to vote for ANYONE remotely associated with the present administration?? Is it something like "McCain has 9 houses I have no houses, maybe he'll let me live in one?"

Walking around universities or malls etc. to register people is normal and fine. Those people don't NEED help to register...they're lazy, don't have time, w/e it may be.. but organizers will register them because they know many people otherwise just won't do it without a little push. That's expected.

All I'm saying is, there are people (many even homeless) that just can't register without help. And helping only those people that benefit you is unethical. That, to me, is crossing the line. And that is what I believe this article is being concerned with. Now, although this is a valid concern... I don't see evidence of any organizers crossing that line here. I think they are helping all homeless people that they find. On the other hand, it is possible that they assume the majority of the homeless people would vote for Obama... so even by doing the right thing and registering all homeless people.. they may figure that overall, Obama will gain votes. So even if that is the case, while it may not be as noble as I first thought, it's not unethical.... maybe cheap, but certainly smart and within the law. But again, people need to stop crying "Voter Fraud" every time your candidate loses votes.

Regarding WHO they may vote for... I don't see why Bush would be the only issue. There are homeless people all throughout the country, if I'm a homeless person living in a city with a Democratic Mayor, which lies in a state with a Democratic Governor... I'm only going to blame the Republican President? That's what local government is there for as well. So it's not that simple. Homeless people don't all have the same story, and some would have become homeless due to circumstances beyond any government help.

Plus, many religious organizations help homeless people. And many homeless people are either religious or use religion to get help, (they usually have "God Bless" signs, etc).. This relationship between the two is also a factor considering how many of those religious organizations lean right politically.

So I do see how some homeless people would vote for McCain.
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#35 » by KnicksScholar24 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 7:55 am

Red Vines wrote:Watch the video here:

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/10/01/ho ... in-droves/

A homeless thug now registered to vote comments: “They picked me up. They seen me walkin’ around. So day said, ‘You wanna vote?’ I said, ‘Yeah, I’ll vote.’ (laughs) Day said, ‘We’ll take you anywhere you want.’ I said, ‘Dat’s cool’…If day say ’sign the ballot,’ just give ‘em and do exactly what they want you to do.’ I mean, hey, dis is America, you know?” (laughs).

Who does this new voter support?

“Barack! I mean, I want him to do his thang. You know, do his thug thizzle. You know. That’s how I like it to be. You know. (laughs).”

This is so pathetic...unbelievable.

Yes, I agree. The fact that there is someone out there than goes to michellemalkin.com is pathetic and unbelievable.

This is just another way the right wing can defend their unconstitutional ploy of trying to deny people the right to vote based on residential status, and they get to show African American people in the worst light possible. Win-win for them.

Another classless view point by the right.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#36 » by VinnyTheMick » Thu Oct 2, 2008 12:31 pm

Michelle Malkin is a classless tool.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#37 » by Red Vines » Thu Oct 2, 2008 2:42 pm

VinnyTheMick wrote:Michelle Malkin is a classless tool.

Obama is a classless tool. Wow, this is easy.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#38 » by Red Vines » Thu Oct 2, 2008 2:43 pm

KnicksScholar24 wrote:Yes, I agree. The fact that there is someone out there than goes to michellemalkin.com is pathetic and unbelievable.

Care to actually provide an intelligent argument? Thought so.

Return to New York Knicks