ImageImageImageImageImage

Alan Hahn's thoughts as Knicks break camp...

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RealGM
And1: 39,216

Alan Hahn's thoughts as Knicks break camp... 

Post#1 » by 2010 » Sun Oct 5, 2008 1:24 am

The Knicks are hoping to hide their interior deficiencies by keeping the game in transition as often as possible and, perhaps, taking their opponents' bigs out of the game with the speed-factor. They'll also have to rely on something they did very poorly last season: help defense. People often criticize D'Antoni for not coaching defense, but he spent time on defense each day throughout the week with an interesting 5-on-3 drill in which there were three defenders in a triangle zone and they had to shuffle, talk and play areas against five offensive players. It was a very intense drill and D'Antoni made it competitive by rotating in different three-man groups.

There's no doubt the Knicks have a load of talent on the perimeter. Perhaps Donnie Walsh can use his excess of guards (what do you do with Mardy Collins and Anthony Roberson if Stephon Marbury is to remain?) to find some shot-blocking help on the trade market.

Post edited.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,924

Re: Alan Hahn's thoughts as Knicks break camp... 

Post#2 » by god shammgod » Sun Oct 5, 2008 2:56 am

that is quite possibly the worst starting lineup i could imagine. he's going to rely on craw and zach as the primary scorers ? this team will be god awful.
baseline_jay
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by baseline_jay » Sun Oct 5, 2008 3:14 am

god shammgod wrote:that is quite possibly the worst starting lineup i could imagine. he's going to rely on craw and zach as the primary scorers ? this team will be god awful.

Yes, it will be interesting if the new regime comes in and simply continues with the same old politics. It would be like electing McCain after 8 years of BU~~SH~~!
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#4 » by j4remi » Sun Oct 5, 2008 3:16 am

god shammgod wrote:that is quite possibly the worst starting lineup i could imagine. he's going to rely on craw and zach as the primary scorers ? this team will be god awful.

Zach was a 20 and 10 guy...how is he not worthy of being a primary scorer? Your comments are ridiculous sometimes. Crawford at least you can call on his poor shot selection but he has all the tools to excel in the system and he has always been a very good scoring guard.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,248

Post#5 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Oct 5, 2008 3:18 am

Marbs as a 6th man is an interesting idea.

Curry as "back up center by default" is intereting. Does Curry become our 10th man when Jeffries gets healthy? One good thing about Zach as Center, Curry as his backup is that we don't have the problem with the Twins on the court at the same time.

It's not from Dantoni, so this doesn't really mean anything, but it's an interesting sumation.
Go NY Go NY Go
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,645

Post#6 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Oct 5, 2008 3:23 am

How are we going to out-run every team if we get out-rebounded?
Free Palestine
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Post#7 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Oct 5, 2008 3:24 am

not much you can rely on out of those two. who would you rely on?
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,924

Post#8 » by god shammgod » Sun Oct 5, 2008 3:34 am

knicksh20b wrote:

not much you can rely on out of those two. who would you rely on?

nate & steph are much more efficient shooters then crawford and duhon. q is horrendous, i'd rather see what chandler could do. lee's fine. and if i'm forced to choose zach or curry, i'd still take curry because you can at least ignore him sometimes, whereas zach will demand the ball all game long to take ill advised jumpers.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,977

Post#9 » by Fury » Sun Oct 5, 2008 3:37 am

That 5 on 3 drill is a pretty good idea.
TdoubleE
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by TdoubleE » Sun Oct 5, 2008 4:14 am

I'd rather see Duhon and Marbury in the backcourt with Crawford coming off the bench. I still think Marbury can be very successful playing the 2 in this offense.
DesignStudio
Banned User

Post#11 » by DesignStudio » Sun Oct 5, 2008 5:52 am

I am glad D'antoni is our coach. He might be smart enough to make things work.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#12 » by FutureKnicksGM » Sun Oct 5, 2008 7:03 am

TdoubleE wrote:I'd rather see Duhon and Marbury in the backcourt with Crawford coming off the bench. I still think Marbury can be very successful playing the 2 in this offense.

I would like to see that as well. Steph is a more efficient scorer than Crawford and guards the 2 better as well.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#13 » by knicks742 » Sun Oct 5, 2008 1:09 pm

Hahn's lineups make sense. Marbury said during offseason that Starbury is coming back which means he wants to be the primary scorer. He can do that in the second unit with Nate playing a secondary scoring role. The problem with having Marbury in the first unit is that then he will look to score and will give less opportunities to guys like Zach and Crawford, therefore rendering almost useless. This way you split our top 4 scorers (Zach, Crawford, Marbury and Curry) into two teams and allow them to do their things.

As far as Q-Rich in the starting lineup, remember that it was only one season ago that he was arguably the best player in our team after a horrendous season with Larry Brown. Reports are that he is in much better shape this season and he already knows D'Antoni's system and D'Antoni knows what to expect of him so it makes sense.

However, this is not set in stone. We still have to watch some preseason games to see who fits well together in the first and second units.
TwelvePac
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#14 » by TwelvePac » Sun Oct 5, 2008 1:48 pm

pennyspree wrote:
TdoubleE wrote:I'd rather see Duhon and Marbury in the backcourt with Crawford coming off the bench. I still think Marbury can be very successful playing the 2 in this offense.

I would like to see that as well. Steph is a more efficient scorer than Crawford and guards the 2 better as well.

Count me in too. I like to see Marbury given the chance to score at will.
HNICII
Junior

Post#15 » by HNICII » Sun Oct 5, 2008 4:40 pm

didn't Marbury explicity say he would not come off the bench for the Knicks?

we're better off having Crawford coming off the bench to play the same role Barbosa did in Phoenix.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,248

Post#16 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Oct 5, 2008 4:54 pm

HNICII wrote:didn't Marbury explicity say he would not come off the bench for the Knicks?

we're better off having Crawford coming off the bench to play the same role Barbosa did in Phoenix.

He said that last year with Isiah. This offseason he's said that he wants to be part of this team.
Go NY Go NY Go
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#17 » by knicks742 » Sun Oct 5, 2008 4:57 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HNICII wrote:didn't Marbury explicity say he would not come off the bench for the Knicks?

He said that last year with Isiah. This offseason he's said that he wants to be part of this team.

He said it thsi offseason. He said he would come off the bench for Boston but not the Knicks.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#18 » by StutterStep » Sun Oct 5, 2008 5:05 pm

$20million players do not come off the bench unless they're injured or not as skilled as the guy starting over them.

To do so, is asking for trouble in the locker room and playing court.

Why do Knicks always try to screw Steph, then act like it's him screwing the team?
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#19 » by GuyverADL » Sun Oct 5, 2008 5:28 pm

We are looking at a top 5 pick again. O yea.
DesignStudio
Banned User

Post#20 » by DesignStudio » Sun Oct 5, 2008 5:45 pm

Knicks are always screwing Marbury?

This is the same guy that got the red carpet treatment in New York.

Any player that didn't like him got traded.
Any coach that didn't get along with him was traded.
Was allowed to have his family members who were not qualified to work in the organization.
Was allowed to curse out coaches and fight with teammates and not get punishment.

We have a finally have GREAT coach and a GREAT GM and people still want the team to be the New York Marburys :lol:

Return to New York Knicks